Old May 7, 2003, 22:35   #331
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
(which remember was designed specifically to slow typers down so as to prevent jams)
That is the point I am refuting. The keyboard was not designed to be slow - it was designed to allow the fastest possible typing with the technology they had available. By moving the letters used more often further apart, it allowed a typist to type a 2nd letter as the first was still coming back up, rather than having to wait for the first letter to finish coming up before typing the next letter.

While the net effect of the qwerty keyboard layout is slower typing compared to optimal layouts that are well within our technological capabilities, it wasn't designed to be slow at typing.
Old May 7, 2003, 22:53   #332
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

If the Windows start getting too cluttered, Windows can (by default and this is optional) group together the program's windows under one entry, called "Trillian", and when you click on it, a list appears above it with all of the active windows and their titles.
I hate to say this Asher, but that's roughly what the Dock does. If you have a couple of windows minimized it looks roughly like that, except the names aren't there. But you have to be pretty stupid not to remember which is which.

If you have more than a few windows open you click on the Application icon and it provides a similar list to the one you illustrated. I described this in my previous post; apparently you didn't read it.

And FYI I had a look around, and most of the Dock haters I could find still said that the Mac interface spanks Windows.

Anyway here's the picture that proves my point.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	44350  
Old May 7, 2003, 22:56   #333
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed

Quote:
I can't think of a mac program I'd want to open more than once. In fact I can't think of any reason to do this.
how about finder or explorer windows?
I think Asher meant opening the same program multiple times rather than opening multiple windows in the same app. You can do this in Windows 3.1 (I remember doing it by accident a couple of times) but what's the point?
Old May 7, 2003, 22:58   #334
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Jamming in typewriters was caused by pressing two letters that were close together down at the same time (or one after the other). As such, the QWERTY keyboard layout combatted this by moving often-used keys away from each other so that you could type fast without jamming.
OK - kudos to you for the hairsplit. Of course the keyboard wasn't designed so that you would type as slowly as possible.
Old May 7, 2003, 23:01   #335
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
are mac users so dense that they dont understand why someone would want to run multiple instances of the same program? or are they still coming to grips with being able to run more than one program at the same time?
I wouldn't be too quick to say that. On OS X I can run every single app I have at the same time and the system will take it easily (good memory management apparently). I actually tried to open as many as I could and got bored halfway thru the utilties folder.
Old May 7, 2003, 23:06   #336
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

In the Windows world, we've got icons and descriptive text, which is actually much more functional.
Are you telling me that Windows users are too dumb to understand that the Stamp icon is their Mail.app and that the green "X" is Excel.

Quote:
As I've said, that's not the issue. Apps that are running and apps that are not running are two separate things, mixing them together is just...wrong. Counter-intuitive.
So it's so counterintuitive to actually look at the Dock. Drake is right, you have to be a 24 carat retard not to be able to see which apps are open and which aren't.

Quote:
You may be used to it now, and I'm sure anyone can be once you start using it, but this is why Apple's marketshare only continues to shrink. Everyone else looks at it and thinks "what the ****?" and Apple fans jump up and down crying about how it's great and you "get used to it".
Red herring......

Quote:
Oh gee, I don't know.
1) Multiple internet browser instances (so plugins or whatever don't bring down all your windows if there's a crash)
Well my browser hasn't ever crashed, despite being a Beta version. I guess this is an IE problem.

Quote:
2) Multiple AIM/ICQ/MSN programs
Multiple windows of the same program or multiple launches of the same program? If the latter, why on earth would anyone want to do that?

Quote:
3) Multiple file browser/finder windows
That's not what you said earlier on. I can post you pictures of me using multiple windows, what's the big deal about that?

Drake is right - this isn't one of your better efforts.
Old May 7, 2003, 23:44   #337
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Are you telling me that Windows users are too dumb to understand that the Stamp icon is their Mail.app and that the green "X" is Excel.
You are telling me that the first time you saw the Green X (without text) you could identify that it was Excel? Yeah, right .

Quote:
Multiple windows of the same program or multiple launches of the same program? If the latter, why on earth would anyone want to do that?
Well one reason is if you have two different screennames.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 7, 2003, 23:58   #338
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 18:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
I hate to say this Asher, but that's roughly what the Dock does. If you have a couple of windows minimized it looks roughly like that, except the names aren't there. But you have to be pretty stupid not to remember which is which.

It's nice and all that Apple copied MS again with regards to that list, but as you can probably figure out by simple logic, it requires more clicks to access files that way (and indeed, it doesn't even count how many windows you have open for that document) than it does with Windows' which displays all windows.

Sure, it works, it's just not as efficient or even as well designed. I've said this before, I'll say it again: Apple was more concerned with how purty it was versus how effective it is.

People wonder why Apple is losing ground so fast in the media industry.

Quote:
And FYI I had a look around, and most of the Dock haters I could find still said that the Mac interface spanks Windows.
Oh, well that settles that, then!
Old May 8, 2003, 00:05   #339
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:

1) There are people with memory problems (I'm working in a retirement home this summer, trust me on this one)
2) It's fundamentally a dumber idea to just show an icon, and when you click on it, list the windows open for it. It just makes more sense, from an efficiency and functionality perspective, to list all the windows with an application icon and then the title next to it (ie, the W icon for Word, then "Steve Jobs is my Hero" as the title). It requires less clicks, you can easily see at one glance what you have running and open
3) Apple doesn't have the equivalent "tray" functionality which is very useful. Why doesn't Apple have it?

Quote:
So it's so counterintuitive to actually look at the Dock. Drake is right, you have to be a 24 carat retard not to be able to see which apps are open and which aren't.
I'm wondering if you're really this dense?
I'm not saying you can't see what's open and what's not, I'm saying it's stupid to clump them together in a pseudo-random fashion because they're fundamentally different things. It's not as easy to see at a glance what's running and what's not, compared to Windows.

Apple basically took very basic functionality out of the Windows Taskbar, made QuickLaunch on by default, and removed all of the extra usefulness from it.

While at the same time Apple users ***** about all the stuff MS "steals" from Apple.

Quote:
Well my browser hasn't ever crashed, despite being a Beta version. I guess this is an IE problem.
That's funny, my friends' Chimera (Camino now) crashes constantly. So does his Safari.

Again, he's a power user. He's in computer science.

You Philosophy types probably don't do anything that could remotely break a computer, since all you need to do is load Word and write what's on your mind.

Quote:
You're the philosopher, and you can't think of any situations?

What if I wanted to do two Folding@Home/SETI@Home apps at once to get better use out of my dual CPUs? What if I wanted to have 2 AIM screennames logged in at once?

There's absolutely no reason for the artificial restriction Apple placed, unless:
1) The OS can't handle it
2) The users can't handle it

Apple thinks its users are morons. Wonder why.
Old May 8, 2003, 12:08   #340
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You are telling me that the first time you saw the Green X (without text) you could identify that it was Excel? Yeah, right
Well, if you're such a moron that you can't remember what the green X means (and you really should remember, since you had to find the app and drag into onto the Dock to make the shortcut in the first place), then you have to go through all the trouble of moving your cursor over the scary green X and reading the application name that pops up. Of course, if you can't remember what the icon meant in the first place, you probably can't read either, so you might as well throw your computer out the window and watch cartoons instead.

Oh, almost forget the...
Old May 8, 2003, 12:11   #341
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 17:44
Quote:

I wouldn't be too quick to say that. On OS X I can run every single app I have at the same time and the system will take it easily (good memory management apparently). I actually tried to open as many as I could and got bored halfway thru the utilties folder.

what i mean is that youre still getting used to running every program you want at the same time and being able to multitask. maybe this is why you dont understand why you want to run the same program twice.
Old May 8, 2003, 12:45   #342
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

1) There are people with memory problems (I'm working in a retirement home this summer, trust me on this one)
Lame answer. If they are so hopeless at remembering things, they aren't going to be much good at remembering what "Outlook Express" stands for.

Anyway, I'd give old folks a mac any day. Universal Access and Speakable items make it pretty easy for them.

Quote:
2) It's fundamentally a dumber idea to just show an icon, and when you click on it, list the windows open for it. It just makes more sense, from an efficiency and functionality perspective, to list all the windows with an application icon and then the title next to it (ie, the W icon for Word, then "Steve Jobs is my Hero" as the title).
But this is what Mac OS X does as well. All my minimized windows have the application icon superimposed over them. I can see where they went when I minimized them, so I know where they are. If I have a large stack of Windows open or minimized I can get at them thru the application icon. At a certain number of open windows it becomes more efficient to use the other method.

You can piss and moan all you want Asher but in practice it works very well.

(and I'm not a great Jobs admirer BTW)

Quote:
3) Apple doesn't have the equivalent "tray" functionality which is very useful. Why doesn't Apple have it?
I was hoping you might ask this. I take it you are referring to the collection of icons to the left of the clock on the Windows taskbar.

The simple reason is that it is a complete waste of space. If I can look at the dock to see which apps are open I don't need anything else. There are a few icons like internet connect which can be placed in the top right hand corner if needed, but that's about it. In Windows all this seems to be used for is to place software companies logos in.

Quote:
I'm wondering if you're really this dense?
I used to wonder about you, but now I'm sure.

Quote:
I'm not saying you can't see what's open and what's not, I'm saying it's stupid to clump them together in a pseudo-random fashion because they're fundamentally different things. It's not as easy to see at a glance what's running and what's not, compared to Windows.

A closed application and an open application are fundamentally different things. Give me a break - they are states of the same thing. It uses less space and there is no ambiguity. In practice it doesn't even bear thinking about.

Your argument is in essence that people can't tell them apart. As Drake said, only an idiot would have this problem.

Quote:
Apple basically took very basic functionality out of the Windows Taskbar, made QuickLaunch on by default, and removed all of the extra usefulness from it. While at the same time Apple users ***** about all the stuff MS "steals" from Apple.
The Dock comes from NextStep which precedes Windows 95 by some years. I can show you a picture if you like.

nuff said

Quote:
That's funny, my friends' Chimera (Camino now) crashes constantly. So does his Safari.
Poor him. Mine doesn't.

Quote:
Again, he's a power user. He's in computer science.
If this means he's been messing around with it then it's his fault, right?

Quote:
You Philosophy types probably don't do anything that could remotely break a computer, since all you need to do is load Word and write what's on your mind.
Yes, we are the end users, the people computers are built for. You can design programs and OSes all you like, but you guys don't produce anything worthwhile out of them (unless you are programming games or computer art).

Quote:
What if I wanted to do two Folding@Home/SETI@Home apps at once to get better use out of my dual CPUs? What if I wanted to have 2 AIM screennames logged in at once?
I don't think that you would get better use by having two running than one on the mac. And I think you can have multiple AIM logins using Proteus.

Quote:
There's absolutely no reason for the artificial restriction Apple placed, unless:
1) The OS can't handle it
2) The users can't handle it
No - because it's unnecessary for all but the most arcane uses.
Old May 8, 2003, 13:48   #343
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Lame answer. If they are so hopeless at remembering things, they aren't going to be much good at remembering what "Outlook Express" stands for.
At work, we have the application and shortcut renamed "E-MAIL".

Quote:
Anyway, I'd give old folks a mac any day. Universal Access and Speakable items make it pretty easy for them.
Gee, I wish Windows had that. Oh wait, it does. It even has easily-turned on high-contrast theme, screen magnifier, large fonts, etc.

Quote:
I was hoping you might ask this. I take it you are referring to the collection of icons to the left of the clock on the Windows taskbar.

The simple reason is that it is a complete waste of space. If I can look at the dock to see which apps are open I don't need anything else. There are a few icons like internet connect which can be placed in the top right hand corner if needed, but that's about it. In Windows all this seems to be used for is to place software companies logos in.
Again, you don't understand the usefulness of it.
For example, my tray has 2 things always visible in it: SeMagic (LiveJournal client, the icon flashes when a friend posts an update, when I click it it opens to the post), and a Weather icon which shows the current weather states, and when I click it it gives me detailed information. Hidden on the tray (so I click the little arrow to make them visible), are programs always running such as Nomad Zen Detector, MS IntelliPoint, Samurize, eMule (file transfer/p2p), and Folding@Home. These are applications I very rarely need to play with, but I sometimes do. So they're running on the computer, but just minimzed to the tray and I have it configured to hide them unless I expose them.

That's hardly a "waste of space".

Quote:
A closed application and an open application are fundamentally different things. Give me a break - they are states of the same thing. It uses less space and there is no ambiguity. In practice it doesn't even bear thinking about.
It doesn't use any less space, it's just in a random order rather than in order of what's running and what's not. And of course they're different states of the same thing, the problem is they're fundamentally different states. Why are you mixing two states indescriminately?

Quote:
Your argument is in essence that people can't tell them apart. As Drake said, only an idiot would have this problem.
I've clarified this numerous times now, it's not that people can't tell them apart it's that it's harder to tell immediately what's running and what's not.

Quote:
If this means he's been messing around with it then it's his fault, right?
He's not messing around with it -- he's just got tons of windows going at once and moves quite rapidly through everything.

Quote:
but you guys don't produce anything worthwhile out of them (unless you are programming games or computer art).
A philosophy major telling me we don't produce anything worthwhile, that's rich.
Fine then, I don't want you using your computer except for games or computer art.

Quote:
I don't think that you would get better use by having two running than one on the mac. And I think you can have multiple AIM logins using Proteus.
Proteus, the pathetic Trillian clone for Mac.

Quote:
No - because it's unnecessary for all but the most arcane uses.
You know that's not a good argument -- if it's unnecessary, people wouldn't use it. Why artifically block it off if your OS can handle it, unless it can't?
Old May 8, 2003, 15:04   #344
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I've clarified this numerous times now, it's not that people can't tell them apart it's that it's harder to tell immediately what's running and what's not.
No it isn't; repeating this falsehood ad nauseum doesn't make it any more true. You can instantly tell what applications are running and which aren't by looking at the Dock. Just because it is different from Windows doesn't make it worse.
Old May 8, 2003, 15:06   #345
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

Again, you don't understand the usefulness of it.
For example, my tray has 2 things always visible in it: SeMagic (LiveJournal client, the icon flashes when a friend posts an update, when I click it it opens to the post), and a Weather icon which shows the current weather states, and when I click it it gives me detailed information. Hidden on the tray (so I click the little arrow to make them visible), are programs always running such as Nomad Zen Detector, MS IntelliPoint, Samurize, eMule (file transfer/p2p), and Folding@Home. These are applications I very rarely need to play with, but I sometimes do. So they're running on the computer, but just minimzed to the tray and I have it configured to hide them unless I expose them.

That's hardly a "waste of space".
Yes it is. A dock ready application can display that sort of information in the dock icon. For example, the Mail icon tells me how many unread mail messages I have and Aquisition tells me when a download is completed. Photoshop's icon has a progress bar to tell you how far along it is. You can also download docklings that tell you the weather, etc.

Why bother having a separate icon when one will do everything? It's a waste of space. Or don't you understand the concept of "a waste of space"?

Quote:
It doesn't use any less space, it's just in a random order rather than in order of what's running and what's not. And of course they're different states of the same thing, the problem is they're fundamentally different states. Why are you mixing two states indescriminately?
You don't need them - one icon can happily integrate all these functions.

You sound like a guy who wants two light switches. One for on and one for off.

Quote:
And both Drake and I have clarified to you that one would have to be a visually impaired idiot to be confused in this situation. You still don't get it after all this time and still say it's confusing. It isn't at all, unless you are an idiot.

Quote:
He's not messing around with it -- he's just got tons of windows going at once and moves quite rapidly through everything.
So do I and I don't have that problem.

Quote:
A philosophy major telling me we don't produce anything worthwhile, that's rich.
A computer is a tool, not an end in itself.

Quote:
Proteus, the pathetic Trillian clone for Mac.
I don't use it but it works just fine.

Quote:
You know that's not a good argument -- if it's unnecessary, people wouldn't use it. Why artifically block it off if your OS can handle it, unless it can't?
Because there is no need for it. The uses you mentioned just aren't needed. Presumably, Windows doesn't allow functionality for useless things.

Why don't you just admit that you don't know how to use the OS X interface properly? You've accused it of not having functions that it patently has. In fact you can navigate through the dock just like the Windows taskbar if you want, but that option is for users with disabilties which pretty much tells you all you need to know about the Windows interface.
Old May 8, 2003, 15:19   #346
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Yes it is. A dock ready application can display that sort of information in the dock icon. For example, the Mail icon tells me how many unread mail messages I have and Aquisition tells me when a download is completed. Photoshop's icon has a progress bar to tell you how far along it is. You can also download docklings that tell you the weather, etc.

Why bother having a separate icon when one will do everything? It's a waste of space. Or don't you understand the concept of "a waste of space"?
Apparently you don't understand the concept of "waste of space" either, since the dock is the one wasting the space. All of those applications I seldom use but need to have running that I mentioned take up precisely 0% of my screen realestate unless I click the arrow to display them. Under OS X, space is wasted since they show up on the dock just like everything else.

Further, it's not a separate icon, programs can either run with a tray icon and a taskbar entry, or just a taskbar entry, or just a tray icon.

If you actually took the time to think about it, you'd see not only does this save space, but it intuitively makes sense since tray icons are more or less background tasks that are accessed far less frequently.

Quote:
You sound like a guy who wants two light switches. One for on and one for off.
The problem with this, of course, is it should not be a simple "on/off" functionality that Apple dumbs it down to. This is part of the reason Apple can't allow multiple instances of a program, which is another reason why it's a bad design.

Quote:
And both Drake and I have clarified to you that one would have to be a visually impaired idiot to be confused in this situation. You still don't get it after all this time and still say it's confusing. It isn't at all, unless you are an idiot.
It may not be totally confusing, but it's certainly more confusing than how Windows has it set up. It certainly doesn't make any more sense, and it certainly does restrict computer operation since it dumbs down program launches to simple on/off switches and prevents you from having a Tray-like system for background programs...

Quote:
A computer is a tool, not an end in itself.
Explain this relevance to me, please?
Computer scientists do far more for the people of this world than a modern philosophy major, especially one who so obviously has trouble thinking about things.

Quote:
I don't use it but it works just fine.
It doesn't even have filetransfer capabilities.

Quote:
Because there is no need for it. The uses you mentioned just aren't needed.
But there IS a need for it. What if I wanted to run two different scientific algorithm programs on two different datasets? I'd need to go out of my way to make the program an MDI, set up complicated threading systems, etc. That's just really, really stupid. I should be able to launch the program twice and tell each one to work on different datasets.

Quote:
Presumably, Windows doesn't allow functionality for useless things.
Huh?

Quote:
Why don't you just admit that you don't know how to use the OS X interface properly?
I know how to use it properly, I know how to use both interfaces properly. Apparently you don't understand much at all of how the Windows one works, however.

Quote:
You've accused it of not having functions that it patently has.
Like what? Running multiple instances of a program? Having a "show desktop"/minimize all function? Having clear descriptive text next to icons on the dock? Having a nice list of windows open rather than just programs running? Having a keyboard navigation tool that previews the window you're about to switch the focus to?

OS X doesn't have any of that, and you've ignored it and had the balls to say it does have them in some umbrella statement.

Quote:
In fact you can navigate through the dock just like the Windows taskbar if you want, but that option is for users with disabilties which pretty much tells you all you need to know about the Windows interface.
Really?
That's really interesting, I didn't know that.
So please attach screenshots of the following if it truly behaves like the Windows taskbar:
  • Media player controls docked on the taskbar, like play/fwd/rwd, etc -- and if possible, have a little tiny notification window slide up and display the song that it just started to play, then hide again.
  • A tray that allows you to minimize programs to if they're essentially background tasks. Allow customization to hide ones that you don't need to see, and can be activated by clicking a little arrow next to it.
  • Display system information (graphs, text) using a program ala Samurize
  • List all active windows open, not just programs
  • Have an address field, so you type in either a filepath or a web address, hit enter, and it'll launch the appropriate browser
  • A start menu-type thing
  • __________________
    "I'll never doubt you again when it comes to hockey, [Prince] Asher." - Guynemer
    Old May 8, 2003, 16:10   #347
    tinyp3nis
    Prince

Local Time: 03:44
    Just out of curiosity, does this dock thing list the ones running separate from the other programs? If yes, then I guess it's ok, but it doesn't make it usefull, just ok.
    Old May 8, 2003, 18:41   #348
    Agathon
    Mac
    Emperor

Quote:

Apparently you don't understand the concept of "waste of space" either, since the dock is the one wasting the space.
    I've already told you that I and most other users run the dock in hidden mode. Therefore on my system it takes up precisely no screen real estate unless I need to use it. You can't ask for more.

Quote:
    Further, it's not a separate icon, programs can either run with a tray icon and a taskbar entry, or just a taskbar entry, or just a tray icon.
    So what, there's still no point in having two spaces when one will do the job.

Quote:
    If you actually took the time to think about it, you'd see not only does this save space, but it intuitively makes sense since tray icons are more or less background tasks that are accessed far less frequently.
    In OS X such icons exist and they are, as I told you before, in the menubar next to the clock. I have display settings, chat, ethernet and weather programs running. I could put these in the dock if I wanted, but it is more convenient to have them in the menubar. Windows can't do this since the tray and quicklaunch are both in the taskbar.

Quote:
    The problem with this, of course, is it should not be a simple "on/off" functionality that Apple dumbs it down to. This is part of the reason Apple can't allow multiple instances of a program, which is another reason why it's a bad design.
    I don't get this. Either an application is running or it isn't. Apple isn't dumbing it down at all, they are merely, like the rest of humanity, responding to the fact that if an app is closed it isn't running.

Quote:
    It may not be totally confusing, but it's certainly more confusing than how Windows has it set up. It certainly doesn't make any more sense, and it certainly does restrict computer operation since it dumbs down program launches to simple on/off switches and prevents you from having a Tray-like system for background programs...
    It makes much more sense to have everything run through one icon than through more than one since only one is really needed. Or should I have five different icons for no reason?

Quote:
    Computer scientists do far more for the people of this world than a modern philosophy major, especially one who so obviously has trouble thinking about things.
    Just because you are losing.

Computers are instruments for performing certain tasks. The things computer companies create have only instrumental value. For example a computer might help someone to write a book - you guys just make tools to make people to make more important things.

Quote:
    It doesn't even have filetransfer capabilities.
    Oh, I'm sure they'll get around to it. Hardly the most important thing, though, is it?

Quote:
    But there IS a need for it. What if I wanted to run two different scientific algorithm programs on two different datasets?
    Then you'd buy a program that can do two at once. That's the sensible solution.

Quote:
    Huh?
    Ha - too subtle for you.

Quote:
    I know how to use it properly, I know how to use both interfaces properly.
    Then why have you persisted saying that the dock can't do things that the taskbar can, when it is patently obvious that it can do them?

Quote:
    Like what? Running multiple instances of a program? Having a "show desktop"/minimize all function?
    I think there is an option to do that, though I haven't used it.

Quote:
    Having clear descriptive text next to icons on the dock?
    Here you are again harping on about the same thing. You can move your cursor over them if you are too dumb to know what they are, but in most cases it's patently obvious.

Quote:
    Having a nice list of windows open rather than just programs running?
    Again OS X has this and you can customize it so as to increase the usability of it, even though there is no need.

Quote:
    Having a keyboard navigation tool that previews the window you're about to switch the focus to?
    I've no idea what this is, but the dock shows thumbnails of each minimized window.

Quote:
    OS X doesn't have any of that, and you've ignored it and had the balls to say it does have them in some umbrella statement.
    I haven't said that it is the same as the taskbar, though I have said that it has the same functionality.

Quote:
  • Media player controls docked on the taskbar, like play/fwd/rwd, etc -- and if possible, have a little tiny notification window slide up and display the song that it just started to play, then hide again.
  • You can control itunes from its dock icon. The display thing sounds nice, but it seems a pointless piece of eyecandy. If there's a point here it is that itunes should have more functionality from the dock, but that's a problem with Itunes rather than the dock since it can be done.

Quote:
  • A tray that allows you to minimize programs to if they're essentially background tasks. Allow customization to hide ones that you don't need to see, and can be activated by clicking a little arrow next to it.
  • If you have programs like this they more often than not reside in the menubar (and there's an option to do so). Otherwise they sit in the dock and you can customise them to run automatically in hidden mode (like my weather program does).

Quote:
  • Display system information (graphs, text) using a program ala Samurize
  • I've got no idea what Samurize is so I have no idea.

Quote:
  • List all active windows open, not just programs
  • On OS X you either look in the dock or use the program icon. Presumably this is similar to Windows organising open windows by type.

Quote:
  • Have an address field, so you type in either a filepath or a web address, hit enter, and it'll launch the appropriate browser
  • I don't know about the rest, but you can connect to ftp in the Finder. There's also a search field in every Finder window should you desire one.

Quote:
  • A start menu-type thing
  • The start menu is a piece of junk. In OS X the Apple Menu controls some of them, the dock the rest. You can create your own menu folder and open it the same way the start menu works for apps in Windows.
    Old May 8, 2003, 18:48   #349
    Agathon
    Mac
    Emperor

Quote:
    Originally posted by tinyp3nis
    Just out of curiosity, does this dock thing list the ones running separate from the other programs? If yes, then I guess it's ok, but it doesn't make it usefull, just ok.
    The programs running have an indicator on their icon. I'd like to see Apple give an option to make this a bit bigger but it works fine in practice.

Basically the dock makes everything revolve around one icon. It's useful because it's a space saver. It hasn't really reached its potential yet. Perhaps someone will release a program to enable you to customize dock menus, or Apple will expand the dock preference pane. I wouldn't complain if either of these happened.

Look, this is all a storm in a teacup. Like Drake said, you get used to it fairly quickly and I personally find it very useful.
    Old May 8, 2003, 18:57   #350
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    I've already told you that I and most other users run the dock in hidden mode. Therefore on my system it takes up precisely no screen real estate unless I need to use it. You can't ask for more.
    It's still different -- it clutters the dock with inactive things you rarely use. Even if the dock is hidden, when you show it you've got lots of useless **** on it.

Quote:
    So what, there's still no point in having two spaces when one will do the job.
    Why not have one single space organized so the running programs are on one side and un-launched on the other?

Quote:
    In OS X such icons exist and they are, as I told you before, in the menubar next to the clock. I have display settings, chat, ethernet and weather programs running. I could put these in the dock if I wanted, but it is more convenient to have them in the menubar. Windows can't do this since the tray and quicklaunch are both in the taskbar.
    Why do you think Windows can't do that? I don't understand. You could very easily put them all into a menubar...

Quote:
    I don't get this. Either an application is running or it isn't. Apple isn't dumbing it down at all, they are merely, like the rest of humanity, responding to the fact that if an app is closed it isn't running.
    Dear God Agathon, using a Mac has damaged your ability to reason with computers.
    On OS X, an App is running or it's not. On virtually every other operating system in existance, programs can run multiple times. This is because it makes no sense to restrict you to one instance at a time, like Apple has chosen to do.

Quote:
    It makes much more sense to have everything run through one icon than through more than one since only one is really needed. Or should I have five different icons for no reason?
    Ah, but you see, Windows lets you do both!
    I personally think it makes much more sense to have a list of windows in the taskbar rather than just programs. But if you set the grouping threshold in WinXP to "1", it'll behave just like OS X in that it'll show the program, and when you click it, it lists the windows it has open. It just requires more clicks and is less efficient.

Quote:
    Computers are instruments for performing certain tasks. The things computer companies create have only instrumental value. For example a computer might help someone to write a book - you guys just make tools to make people to make more important things.
    Which therefore makes the computers important things, don't you think?

Quote:
    Oh, I'm sure they'll get around to it. Hardly the most important thing, though, is it?
    You said it works just fine. An IM client w/o file transfer capability certainly doesn't work just fine in my books.

Quote:
    Then you'd buy a program that can do two at once. That's the sensible solution.
    Why is that sensible? I'd need to develop a needlessly complex program (and one that is more inefficient). The two simulations I'm running are entirely independent, why must I link them together under the same program? What if the program crashes, now I just lost both of my datasets rather than just one?

It makes much more sense to act like all other OSes and allow multiple instances. You can't win this argument, Agathon, you can only try to rationalize Apple's decision by saying "well you can develop it to use an MDI, who cares if it costs more and is much more complex??", but that's skirting around the issue.

Quote:
    Ha - too subtle for you.
    Not subtle, it was nonsensical. Even you have no idea what you said, it seems.

Quote:
    I think there is an option to do that, though I haven't used it.
    There's not, as far as I know and my mac-user friend knows.

Quote:
    Here you are again harping on about the same thing. You can move your cursor over them if you are too dumb to know what they are, but in most cases it's patently obvious.
    It doesn't matter -- you can get ToolTip text in Windows like that too. It's just needless, extra steps that don't make any sense from an efficiency and functionality POV.

Again, an example is how easy it is in Windows to switch between multiple Trillian conversations when all the windows show up labeled in your taskbar, versus how rather painful it is under OS X because it requires so many clicks. And what if I wanted to get the desktop? How many clicks does it take to minimize all those?

Quote:
    Again OS X has this and you can customize it so as to increase the usability of it, even though there is no need.
    Are you sure?
    Can you attach a screenshot of the dock showing all windows running rather than programs? If so, is it at all useful in that it tells you what the window title is without having to mouse-over to check?

Quote:
    I haven't said that it is the same as the taskbar, though I have said that it has the same functionality.
    It clearly doesn't.

Quote:
    You can control itunes from its dock icon.
    How? Yet another right-click on it? Jeez.

Quote:
    The display thing sounds nice, but it seems a pointless piece of eyecandy.
    It's not pointless, it's a very nice touch. When WMP switches to the next song, this little billboard type thing slights up (never stealing focus), and says the Artist, Album, and Song of the next song playing, then slides back down again. You can disable it, of course.

Quote:
    If there's a point here it is that itunes should have more functionality from the dock, but that's a problem with Itunes rather than the dock since it can be done.
    Are you sure the dock can have buttons in each dockling? This is an honest question. I've just never seen one like that before.

Quote:
    I've got no idea what Samurize is so I have no idea.
    I just told you what it did...

Quote:
    On OS X you either look in the dock or use the program icon. Presumably this is similar to Windows organising open windows by type.
    The dock lists active programs, not windows. Do you comprehend the difference or not?

Quote:
    I don't know about the rest, but you can connect to ftp in the Finder. There's also a search field in every Finder window should you desire one.
    This isn't the same thing. In Explorer I can type in a http/ftp address and it'll convert to IE and open the page, and in IE I can type in a filepath and it'll convert to Explorer.

I'm talking about having a convenient address bar on the taskbar.

Quote:
    The start menu is a piece of junk. In OS X the Apple Menu controls some of them, the dock the rest. You can create your own menu folder and open it the same way the start menu works for apps in Windows.
    The Start Panel in XP is great for the apps I don't launch very often. It's also very handy how it has shortcuts to My Music, My Pictures, My Documents, and the 10 most-run programs all on the panel.
    Old May 8, 2003, 18:58   #351
    Zylka
    Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
    King

Local Time: 00:44
    Oh guys... come on now, honestly
    Old May 8, 2003, 19:01   #352
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    Originally posted by Zylka
    Oh guys... come on now, honestly
    This is what Agathon does for a living.
    Old May 8, 2003, 19:16   #353
    Zylka
    Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
    King

Local Time: 00:44
    I don't know if that was meant in a literal sense, but some degree of explanation is needed so that someone can be shot in the face with rubber ammo
    Old May 8, 2003, 19:37   #354
    Agathon
    Mac
    Emperor

This is getting boring.... you still seem unable to accept the idea that some people find OS X easier to use.

Quote:

I personally think it makes much more sense to have a list of windows in the taskbar rather than just programs. But if you set the grouping threshold in WinXP to "1", it'll behave just like OS X in that it'll show the program, and when you click it, it lists the windows it has open. It just requires more clicks and is less efficient.
    How is one click less efficient?

Quote:
    Which therefore makes the computers important things, don't you think?
    I didn't say they weren't, just that they are less valuable than the products we make with them.

Quote:
    Why is that sensible? I'd need to develop a needlessly complex program (and one that is more inefficient). The two simulations I'm running are entirely independent, why must I link them together under the same program? What if the program crashes, now I just lost both of my datasets rather than just one?
    I still don't see the point of this. Why should I bother running photoshop twice when once is enough.

Quote:
    Not subtle, it was nonsensical. Even you have no idea what you said, it seems.
    Nah.

Quote:
    Again, an example is how easy it is in Windows to switch between multiple Trillian conversations when all the windows show up labeled in your taskbar, versus how rather painful it is under OS X because it requires so many clicks.
    It requires one click to maximize a window from the dock and one and a run up the dock menu to access it if you have too many windows open.

Quote:
    And what if I wanted to get the desktop? How many clicks does it take to minimize all those?
    Uh... "Hide all"? Or "Hide others".

Quote:
    Can you attach a screenshot of the dock showing all windows running rather than programs? If so, is it at all useful in that it tells you what the window title is without having to mouse-over to check?
    I already posted a picture of what I was talking about. If you click on the program icon it gives you a list of Windows and indicates which one is frontmost (I don't know if Windows does this - I read somewhere that it doesn't, which can lead to minimizing the window you want to get at).

Quote:
    It's not pointless, it's a very nice touch.
    So it's pointless when Apple does something like this, but a nice touch when MS does it.

Quote:
    Are you sure the dock can have buttons in each dockling? This is an honest question. I've just never seen one like that before.
    It displays information on each icon. For example, one chat client puts four bubbles around the icon to show how many buddies are online for each service. Each dock icon has a menu which you can access to control the app without bringin it onto the screen. I use this all the time - I wish that more programs would take advantage of it.

For example, I don't have to maximize Mail in order to compose a message I just use the dock menu - it's quicker and it means I don't have to unhide or maximize the Mail window.

Quote:
    The dock lists active programs, not windows. Do you comprehend the difference or not?
    Why are you deliberately being obtuse? iI lists both. When windows are minimized they appear on the right side. If you have five or six it isn't a problem, if you have more it is easier to use the dock menu from the program icon. This is the same reason Windows groups windows.

I agreed in a previous post that it would be useful in some circumstances to have a feature that allowed you to navigate windows qua windows rather than through the application icon. In addition to that it would also be useful to have a shortcut key that cycles windows qua windows. There isn't a major barrier to either of these things occurring and it would easily negate your criticism of the dock.

However, I can't think of when I'd use them. Which isn't to say that other people couldn't.

Quote:
    This isn't the same thing. In Explorer I can type in a http/ftp address and it'll convert to IE and open the page, and in IE I can type in a filepath and it'll convert to Explorer.
    Well we all know why that is. It sounds like a nifty feature but not one I'd use. A cursory look tells me that there are various X freeware apps for this.

Quote:
    I'm talking about having a convenient address bar on the taskbar.
    Like a menu of your favourite URLs and ftp sites? I can do that from either the menu bar or the dock.

Quote:
    The Start Panel in XP is great for the apps I don't launch very often. It's also very handy how it has shortcuts to My Music, My Pictures, My Documents, and the 10 most-run programs all on the panel.
    The Apple Menu and Dock can do the same thing. Frequently used apps go in the dock; recent items in the Apple menu and I stick my apps folder in the dock which does the same job.

Here's a page that compares them.

http://www.xvsxp.com/dockvstaskbar/#managingWindows

I'm sure you'll find lots to gripe about.

Actually this has been a useful debate - it's made me think of new ways of doing stuff.
    Old May 8, 2003, 20:14   #355
    Drake Tungsten
    Deity

I was going to get back into the "debate", but I couldn't make it through the numerous Berzerker/David Floyd-esque posts. I can't be arsed to care any more, so Asher wins again via sheer moronic repetition. Wasn't I right about him and panag being the same?
    Old May 8, 2003, 20:34   #356
    Zero
    PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
    King

Local Time: 19:44
    My god this is pointless...

Who gives a ****? Just use what you want.

Geek boys that like PCs just accept the fact that Mac exists. Just live and let live. And Mac losers gotta get the whole inferiority complex out of your system guys.

Those Mac commercials are seriously irritating. "Boohoo, those PC guys are bashing us, Lets bash them here in this commercial"
    Old May 8, 2003, 20:39   #357
    Boris Godunov
    Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
    Emperor

Local Time: 17:44
    To answer the question posed in the thread title:

Based on the users posting in this thread, clearly not much.
    Old May 8, 2003, 21:04   #358
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    How is one click less efficient?

Well here in the magical land called reality, people generally consider things that require 0 clicks more efficient than things that require 1 click.

Quote:
    I still don't see the point of this. Why should I bother running photoshop twice when once is enough.
    I guess I expect too much of you. I'll make a mental note to remember that.

Quote:
    So it's pointless when Apple does something like this, but a nice touch when MS does it.
    When did I say something like that was pointless that Apple did?

Quote:
    It displays information on each icon. For example, one chat client puts four bubbles around the icon to show how many buddies are online for each service. Each dock icon has a menu which you can access to control the app without bringin it onto the screen.
    That's not the same thing, Agathon darling.

Quote:
    Like a menu of your favourite URLs and ftp sites?
    No.

The interesting thing about that article you linked to is it's obvious that the guy is mostly a Mac users rather than Windows. He's quick to point out that some of the dock annoyances can be averted by changing preferences, but he doesn't seem to understand that you can change preferences in XP to get around "annoyances" he had too (ie, disabling grouping)
    Old May 8, 2003, 21:12   #359
    Asher
    Apolytoners Hall of Fame
    President of the OT

Quote:
    Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    Wasn't I right about him and panag being the same?
    The difference being panag copy/pastes marketing, and I address issues.

Your role here is to butt in occasionally with some smartass remark, and Agathon's role is to continually feign ignorance about why people sometimes need to run a program more than once, or why most people think the dock is crap.

BTW, that page Agathon linked to had some cool things.

It's the little things that make Windows more enjoyable for me, like GUI responsiveness:

And efficiency in general (file deletion):
    Old May 8, 2003, 21:19   #360
    Drake Tungsten
    Deity

Quote:
    Your role here is to butt in occasionally with some smartass remark, and Agathon's role is to continually feign ignorance about why people sometimes need to run a program more than once, or why most people think the dock is crap.
    And your role is to make up **** like "most people think the dock is crap" and pass it off as fact.

At least we can agree that the site Agathon linked to is excellent. It has lots of cool graphics for you to pull out to support your weak arguments and it has an objective final judgement in favor of OS X for me to savor.

It also has a decent forum. Found this quote on there and it couldn't be more true...

"People forget to think about what's included in the cost of the Macs--a OS that proves to be a symbiot to its hardware and not like Windows which acts more like a transplanted organ in which you have to take rejection medicine on a daily basis."