Old May 4, 2003, 21:00   #121
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

License agreements exist to protect from legal minefields, and I can't believe you're using this in a debate.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/...w.nws.noaa.gov
Quote:
The site www.nws.noaa.gov is running Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) DAV/1.0.3 PHP/4.1.2 mod_perl/1.26 on Linux

Source?
hi ,

Michael Black

Flying into the storm

by Nancy Eaton

It came to life in the Gulf of Mexico almost overnight, churning and spewing rain. Before long, it was threatening the west coast of Florida with winds rapidly approaching hurricane force.

As Tropical Storm Gabrielle strengthened and moved toward shore in September 2001, Michael Black was taking action in Tampa. But instead of boarding up his windows, Black was busy booting up his PowerBook G4, using an AppleScript to automatically plot a flight plan and fax it to the FAA.

Michael Black was getting ready to fly into the eye of the storm.

NOAA Knows Hurricanes
Black is the field program director for an elite team of U.S. government research meteorologists who study hurricanes the hard way: by flying right into them. The Hurricane Research Division of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Miami has two main jobs: to team up with the Air Force’s 53rd Weather Squadron whenever the National Hurricane Center needs more data about specific storms; and to learn more about hurricanes and tropical storms by conducting independent research.

Equipped with a myriad of cameras, scientific instruments and computer equipment packed from nose to tail, the NOAA’s workhorse P-3 Orion military aircraft are enormous flying hurricane laboratories. Most of the on-board computing is done on UNIX workstations. But starting with the 2001 hurricane season, scientists took along PowerBooks and iBooks to help them study and report from the air. Since then, they’ve discovered that the portable Macs have extended the capabilities of the on-board computing systems in interesting ways, giving them greater flexibility in their work environments and increasing their productivity.

“We are running Mac OS X (Jaguar) on all our Apple machines,” says Black. “We can easily use the terminal, X11 or XDarwin, to communicate with other Unix and Linux workstations both here at the lab and on the aircraft.”

Flight Plan via AppleScript
According to Black, the NOAA first used PowerBooks in 2000 to streamline the filing of flight tracks with the FAA. In the morning before takeoff, meteorologists meet to refine their flight plans into the storm. They log onto the Internet to get satellite and radar information and hold a teleconference with NASA to discuss the mission.

“I get up early and download 100 or so web pages including radar animations, satellite animations, specialized satellite products, track items and bring it all down to the conference room for the briefing,” says Black. “Once we make decisions, we do the flight track. We enter the points we’re flying to. Then, a custom AppleScript calls up our flight tracking software, plots out the points, draws out the track and faxes it to the right people. It used to take us four hours to draw it up by hand and enter it. Now it takes us about half an hour.”

With the flight plan process streamlined, scientists can get into the air a lot faster. This is especially important when dealing with rapidly developing and fast-moving storms like Gabrielle that can immediately threaten coastline communities.

Looking inside the storm

Eye of the Hurricane
Once on board the aircraft, meteorologists use PowerBooks to retrieve various data for their own use and communicate with scientists and media on the ground. “Before, they’d get the data from us, but it would be all coded — they’d just see wind barbs and stuff,” says Black.

“But our actual observations, both visual and oral, are so invaluable to them. We can send them a picture of, say, the eye wall of the hurricane. By looking at the inside of the storm, they can see how intense it is. We can send them a detailed radar picture from the plane that’s just a few minutes old. It’s that kind of capability that’s really going to change things.

“For example, Dr. Paul Chang from NOAA NESDIS flew with us this past season with special instrumentation to remotely map the surface winds over the top of the ocean, so we could compare that with satellite data. Dr. Chang and some of his people built an intranet on one of the aircraft and all of the computers were hooked up to it so that we could all look at data and images.

Real Time Images
“I was able to grab an image of swaths of the surface winds of Hurricane Lily over the Gulf of Mexico, take that into the PowerBook, put a caption on it and email that to forecasters at the National Hurricane Center and various other scientists around the world. I got a lot of positive response from that. People were saying, ‘Wow, it’s great to be able to see something like this in real time while you’re out there flying,’ and ‘I hope you’ll be able to do more of the same.’”

NOAA expects to use imaging technology more extensively once the bandwidth of its satellite-based communications system improves. “All the data that goes back to the ground is sent at about 9600 baud,” says Black. “It’s old technology, but in the next few years the bandwidth will go up. The price has come way down and the technology is changing so rapidly.”

Adds Dr. Frank Marks, director of the Hurricane Research Division, “Our plans are to network the system hooked to the SATCOM on the plane and make it an email and FTP server. This way, we could send email from any system on the plane — Mac, UNIX, or PC — to the ground when a connection is established, or send down different data via FTP.”

Black and his colleagues also use PowerBooks to fetch timely data that enhances their ability to fly within a rapidly changing storm. By downloading satellite images of the storm while they’re in the air, they can make decisions based on another important set of visual data. “We’re not flying blind — we have radar,” says Black. “But it’s not the same as being able to look down from the top of the storm. It may change your plan while you’re out there.”

Storms in Motion
One of the most interesting tasks the meteorologists undertake is to capture videos of the storms. The PowerBooks and iMovie help them edit and produce QuickTime movies from the footage that they can email to ground-based scientists and the media while they’re still in the air.

Black explains, “Each of our aircraft has four mounted digital video cameras. We’ve been recording images on time-lapse, on super VHS. But starting in 2001, we requested a video drop at one of our workstations so that we could hook up a digital camcorder. So instead of doing time-lapse, we can do real-time for interesting parts of the storm. This is where the Apple laptops come in. We can sit there with iMovie and download and encode video real quick and then email it off, or take still images and email them off.

“In the 2002 season, we wanted to make a QuickTime movie from inside a hurricane eye. Unfortunately, the storms we flew in, even though some of them were very strong, weren’t any good visually. So we never got the opportunity to get that this year.”

In-flight entertainment

Portability a Plus
All of the meteorologists fly missions as well as conduct science when they’re safely back on terra firma. And because the scientists use the PowerBooks both on the ground and in the air, they can use the same data and software no matter where they are.

“On the ground, the PowerBooks are our main computers,” says Black. “At the office, I use a separate monitor and have a bunch of USB and FireWire stuff hooked up to it. If I want to take it home, I can do that. For transferring data I use the FireWire connection. I’m able to hook up a FireWire drive and transfer large amounts of data back and forth.”

Once on the aircraft, they connect and work with the permanent UNIX-based data gathering systems on board, as well as with each other to share data. “Our electronics technician, Sean McMillan, hooked up a network for us on the fly so we could network the computers and transfer data from one to the other on board,” says Black. “One PowerBook acted as a FireWire hard drive — a nice capability.”

NOAA scientists also benefit by having the information they collect on the aircraft to use as soon as they land. “Before, we’d have to wait months,” says Black. “They’d have to QC it back in Tampa after the hurricane season, then we’d get a mailing of the tapes, mount the tapes and run special software. Now we can look at data right after the flight and get a preliminary view of what the storm was like, and write up a report right away so that other scientists from around the nation and around the world have an idea of what it was like almost immediately.”

In-flight Entertainment
On the way back from a long mission into hurricane Humberto in 2001, Black thought it might be time for a little onboard R&R, so he again pressed his PowerBook into service. “We’d been working our tails off, putting in 16- and 17-hour days, getting barely any sleep and were totally exhausted. So on the way back from Humberto, I got on the intercom and told everyone on board that in a few moments we were going to have some in-flight entertainment.

“I had put together a collage of our recent successes and hooked up my PowerBook into the video system of the aircraft. I used iTunes to play music in the background and put on a little QuickTime slide show and video show and piped it all through the aircraft’s intercom and video monitors. Even the pilot could glance down and look at this screen and see images of him flying. Everybody loved it.”

More Work for PowerBooks on the Horizon
After two impressive years of service, it’s evident that the PowerBooks have helped the NOAA scientists do more while flying, allowing all their hard work to be available to more people much faster than ever before. It’s also clear that this is just the beginning.

“We have enough enthusiasm for it and have seen such good results,” says Black. “It’s really opened our eyes to what we can do and got us thinking outside the box. We have the capability of using the Macs to do more with the data we collect from instruments on board. Where before, we were talking about these big workstations, big CPUs with big screens, the PowerBooks do so much and they do it fast. It’s really changed things.”

have a nice day
Old May 4, 2003, 21:04   #122
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

the units sign , ....

have a nice night
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_page2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	44075  
Old May 4, 2003, 21:06   #123
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 17:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
A PC the age of these macs and the same price (ie. much higher specced) would run 98SE very nicely, an OS which doesn't just crash out randomly when you try to open a picture in the wrong format.
No way! 98 is a terrible OS, I had tons of problems with it on my system, for no discernable reason. When I ran it, I would end up having to format my system partition and reinstall it about every three months or so. That doesn't happen with XP however, the only time I've had a problem, it was my fault.

It's one thing to support your platform of choice, but you shouldn't be giving credit where none is due.
Old May 4, 2003, 21:09   #124
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

No way! 98 is a terrible OS, I had tons of problems with it on my system, for no discernable reason. When I ran it, I would end up having to format my system partition and reinstall it about every three months or so. That doesn't happen with XP however, the only time I've had a problem, it was my fault.

It's one thing to support your platform of choice, but you shouldn't be giving credit where none is due.
hi ,

, Soren did some nice things on the civ III ai thanks to it , ...

98SE seems to this day to be the best for AI 's in pc games , .... ( xp was not around yet then )

its very good when fully patched and updated , ...

have a nice day
Old May 4, 2003, 21:15   #125
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
OS X has only crashed once on me in the time since it came out and that crash was when I was using the beta. It's extremely stable.
So is XP. When I was in school a few years back I worked exclusively with Macs, and it was a constant nightmare the way they were crashing, mainly due to extension conflicts. Of course that wasn't OS X, I forget which version exactly, but I think it's fair to say that both OSs have matured and become more reliable since then.

I'd be the first to admit that 98 was a bloody pain in the ass, but so was the Mac OS at that time.
Old May 4, 2003, 21:21   #126
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

its very good when fully patched and updated , ...
I had mine fully patched and updated and I still had tons of problems. I guess I was just unlucky. I haven't had a single issue with XP in the year that I've installed it, exept for my own error.

I turned off the powerbar when I shouldn't have.
Old May 4, 2003, 22:15   #127
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 00:44
Becuase my message will fall away if I dont do this......

WHY IS EVERYONE TRYING TO ACT LIKE MORMONS SAYING "MY RELIGION (eg computer. But your all acting like its a religion) IS BETTER THAN YOURS!!! HAHAHAHHA".

PANAG: PCS ARE FINE.

ASHER: MACS ARE FINE.

BOTH OF YOU NEED TO STOP ACTING LIKE AMERICAN TEENAGERS AND BEGIN DEVELOPING A RATIONAL, CIVILIZED THOUGHT PATTERN AND JUST ACCEPT THAT 5 PERCENT USE MAC AND 90 PERCENT USE WINDOWS.

OK?!?!?!

Now.......IMO, PCs triumph over macs. The MACs I've seen freeze too much, didn't have too much software, most games are PC first......But I hated Windows 98 cause it crashed more than a mac.

Windows XP is the perfect OS for me. I can leave it on for days, even weeks at a time without it crashing.

To me, it's also faster. I can detect a difference. I don't care if Photoshop takes .6234603684206849083423 seconds longer to load on my PC. I don't care if some microsoft program takes .70298436092834068236 seconds longer to load on a Mac. If I can see a difference, then I'm going to go with the faster and cheaper one.
Old May 4, 2003, 22:36   #128
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:44
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

nothing in the world above a kensington trackball

have a nice day
Trackballs are best, except for some applications (CAD, drawing) where tablets excel.
Old May 4, 2003, 22:42   #129
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
It makes it more difficult to use such programs. Instead of being able to right click and do things, I have to memorize confusing keystrokes. User friendly indeed.
On the contrary, keyboard shortcuts are a must if you work extensively with programs such as PhotoShop. It's much faster that way. Do you use <ctrl><z> to undo in Windows, or do you use the mouse for that?
Old May 4, 2003, 22:47   #130
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
The Registry certainly does not cause "untold problems", your friends either don't know what they're talking about, or you don't, or both.
It does. Both the registry and universal DLL's are the major sources of problems under Windows.
Old May 4, 2003, 22:55   #131
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
An equivalent Dell or Gateway is still much cheaper than a Mac...
That's because Apple was an idiot. They had a chance of widening market share when they licensed out Mac manufacturing for awhile, but their own license on The Clue House ran out and they decided to actually withdrew those licenses, annoying a whole bunch of hardware makers in the process.
Old May 4, 2003, 23:21   #132
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 18:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
It does. Both the registry and universal DLL's are the major sources of problems under Windows.
1) Give an example of a so-called Registry problem under Windows XP
2) Your comment about DLLs clearly shows you don't understand .NET or even how XP handles DLLs.
Old May 5, 2003, 00:42   #133
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 03:44
Since you are at it... Guys help me! How do I enable the underlining of all the quick keys in menus? The quick keys work but I didn't find how to enable the underlining anywhere. I used to have them on back when I had 98... I never learn new ones if I don't have them visible.

Ah the good old "Quick"time. I remember on my ancient 166MMX Pentium 1 it took more than 5(!!!) second to load compared to the fraction of a second with WMP 6.4.
Btw I sometime ago in another thread said 6.4 is the best player ever,and wanted to get it, but you guys didn't tell me(!!!!!!!!) it's standart issue in XP (friend pointed it out later). Goes by the name mplayer2.exe in the same folder where is the newest "we don't want you to seek streaming files" WMP's. But the seeking doesn't probably work even in 6.4 if you have WMP9 installed.
And what's this about 98 sucking? It worked great for me, but so does XP. I used to hate the daily crashing on 98, and of course blaimed the OS, untill I finally noticed I had had my RAM stick corrupted for months.
Old May 5, 2003, 00:52   #134
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by tinyp3nis
Since you are at it... Guys help me! How do I enable the underlining of all the quick keys in menus? The quick keys work but I didn't find how to enable the underlining anywhere. I used to have them on back when I had 98... I never learn new ones if I don't have them visible.
ALT
Old May 5, 2003, 01:26   #135
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 20:44
Panag: Just because an Apple may be able to be upgraded as a PC, DOESN'T mean it is as upgradable! Compare the manufacturers for various PC parts and compare them to manufacturers of the same MAC parts. Apple is getting better, but it is no where near the PC in terms of number of manufacturers for parts.

As UR said: They had a chance of widening market share when they licensed out Mac manufacturing for awhile, but their own license on The Clue House ran out and they decided to actually withdrew those licenses, annoying a whole bunch of hardware makers in the process.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 5, 2003, 01:35   #136
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 01:44
Quote:
I've yet to work more than 12 hours straight on a mac without a single crash.
Mine has been running for 3 weeks without a restart now
And that time I restarted becouse I had upgraded the system
Old May 5, 2003, 01:42   #137
August Borms
Prince

I've prevented 2 people from buying a Mac and they bought a pc instead.

I'm so proud of myself!
Old May 5, 2003, 01:56   #138
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by August Borms
I've prevented 2 people from buying a Mac and they bought a pc instead.

I'm so proud of myself!
Way to GO!!!

But the ALT doesnt really help me, i tried it in my explorer, it underlines them temporarily only, AND on the top of the window. But I want them to be underlined all the time, specially in right click option windows. There has to be a box I can check to enable them somewhere.
Old May 5, 2003, 05:13   #139
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

When you ask that kind of question, you're bound to start a holy war.

Anyway, here's a link that puts things in a new perspective:

http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~kamikaz...nning_CLI.html
Old May 5, 2003, 05:48   #140
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
1) Give an example of a so-called Registry problem under Windows XP
Here, check this forum and find a few dozen yourself.

Quote:
2) Your comment about DLLs clearly shows you don't understand .NET or even how XP handles DLLs.
You lose. There's no .NET anymore.
Old May 5, 2003, 06:19   #141
Rogan Josh
Prince

I suppose it is a matter of what you want to do with it.

I have never used a Mac, but on an intel-based PC I prefer Windows for entertainment but Linux for work. I am sure it is the same for Macs - some things will be nicer on PCs and some nicer on Macs - it just depends what you want to do.
Old May 5, 2003, 08:32   #142
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Hmmm. No, can't think of anything I'd rather do on a mac. Oh, yeah, the radio station bit of iTunes is quite cool.
Old May 5, 2003, 09:17   #143
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Here, check this forum and find a few dozen yourself.
Kindly help me find them on that site, because I'm seeing lots of "problems" where people use the registry to change values, remove traces of programs, etc.

But I don't see anything dealing with problems with the registry itself.

Quote:
You lose. There's no .NET anymore.

By .NET, I'm referring to the .NET CLR, managed code, etc.

And there certainly IS a .NET, Explorer.exe in Longhorn is written in .NET (Managed Code), and Visual Studio .NET 2003 just shipped last week.
Old May 5, 2003, 11:13   #144
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Becuase my message will fall away if I dont do this......

[size=5]WHY IS EVERYONE TRYING TO ACT LIKE MORMONS SAYING "MY RELIGION (eg computer. But your all acting like its a religion) IS BETTER THAN YOURS!!! HAHAHAHHA".

PANAG: PCS ARE FINE.

ASHER: MACS ARE FINE.

BOTH OF YOU NEED TO STOP ACTING LIKE AMERICAN TEENAGERS AND BEGIN DEVELOPING A RATIONAL, CIVILIZED THOUGHT PATTERN AND JUST ACCEPT THAT 5 PERCENT USE MAC AND 90 PERCENT USE WINDOWS.

OK?!?!?! [

Now.......IMO, PCs triumph over macs. The MACs I've seen freeze too much, didn't have too much software, most games are PC first......But I hated Windows 98 cause it crashed more than a mac.

Windows XP is the perfect OS for me. I can leave it on for days, even weeks at a time without it crashing.

To me, it's also faster. I can detect a difference. I don't care if Photoshop takes .6234603684206849083423 seconds longer to load on my PC. I don't care if some microsoft program takes .70298436092834068236 seconds longer to load on a Mac. If I can see a difference, then I'm going to go with the faster and cheaper one.
hi ,

no need to use huge print , .... i use both

i have seen several pc's who where problem childs , yes , more then mac's who would only be working okay ones oem software was uninstalled or after a reformat , ....

as for certain cad programs , i agree that even a trackball cant do it all , but ones you are used to one , you never want a mouse again

have a nice day
Old May 5, 2003, 11:34   #145
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
Quote:

I've yet to work more than 12 hours straight on a mac without a single crash.

Yes. Mind you, OSX Wouldn't install on 3 of our four macs, and ran crap on the last, so we decided against it. Whereas on the PC, You've got a whole series of relatively stable OSses to chose from... A PC the age of these macs and the same price (ie. much higher specced) would run 98SE very nicely, an OS which doesn't just crash out randomly when you try to open a picture in the wrong format.
Well whoever is running your system must be incompetent. You can slag off OS 9 all you like. It's competitor was Windows 98 which is perhaps the worst operating system ever sold (I know this - I had to fix my parents computer because of it). Apple has moved on since then.

I've set up three OS X systems recently for colleagues who are even less techie than me. There have been no problems at all.

OS X runs just fine on the systems it is recommended for. As long as you put in enough memory it shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 5, 2003, 12:55   #146
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

So are you saying that we should pay even more money to be able to use our Macs in a stable, decent way? What happened to your much-vaunted "Low TOC because they last forever" argument, lovingly brushed under the carpet eh?

Anyway, There's no OSX-native version of the only Mac killer App, Quark XPress. No wonder so many newspapers are switching to PC/Adobe Indesign...
Old May 5, 2003, 13:59   #147
Ari Rahikkala
King

/me quickly scans through the thread, then concentrates on that new kernel patchset from Andrew Morton again... hm... I wonder if EVMS will apply on top of this cleanly... *
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old May 5, 2003, 15:34   #148
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

why do mac users have such an inferiority/superiority complex that they must call attention to themselves and talk about how great macs are. PC users for the most part dont care.
Old May 5, 2003, 15:37   #149
yavoon
Warlord

MRT I think this thread makes ur statement pretty observationally untrue.
Old May 5, 2003, 15:43   #150
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Windows 98 which is perhaps the worst operating system ever sold