Old May 4, 2003, 13:23   #1
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
"Signal Out Of Range" Errors
Hola,

I've been getting "Signal out of range" errors from my monitor occasionaly when I launch Civ3 or PTW. It doesn't happen always, about 5-10% of the time, and it happens the moment I launch the game. I hate it when it happens becauese sometimes I have a bunch of programs open and I have to reboot...

Anybody know what the problem could be? I have a Dell M770 monitor and a Voodoo3 video card. It seems to happen so randomly I have no clue why...

-MZ

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 4, 2003, 15:51   #2
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You might runt the game with too high Hertz?

Chech out inforgrames support FAQ. It helped me out with a similar question.
Old May 4, 2003, 16:30   #3
Rasbelin
Emperor

1. Do you have the monitor driver installed in Windows?
2. At what resolution are you playing Civ III? 1024x768?
3. Do you have the newest drivers for the accelerator?
Old May 4, 2003, 17:31   #4
Bongohead
Settler

Local Time: 00:45
have yous tryed to uses paints to fix it?

icnt run civ3 once day, then fixes its whith paints and it works!

bit now i wishing ididnt its not worth its
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyena.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	44057  
Old May 5, 2003, 03:49   #5
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 01:45
Does it happen straight away, or does the intro play first?

If the intro doesn't play, then the problem MIGHT be the monitor not wanting to drop to a lower res to play the intro.

Try holding down the escape key to skip the intro - it MIGHT work, it MIGHT not.

EDIT: I'd also think seriously about replacing that Voodoo3. It's a nice card for the age but it won't do 24 bit graphics.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 5, 2003, 04:09   #6
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ok, for the record, it happens the moment I load the game, i.e. before the intro plays.

Rasbelin:
1) yes
2) 1280 x 1024 32-bit color
3) nope. Problem is voodoo3 drivers never came out for XP with Glide support. Still, Civ3 doesn't use glide anyway..

what is really strange is that this happens so randomly. I have not found a pattern, as I said, it probably occurs about 5-10% of the times I load the game. Since I don't change resolutions or refresh rates, I am stumped as to why this happens.

Cruddy:

yes, I'd die for a cheap GeForce 4 right now

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 5, 2003, 04:15   #7
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:45
Go into your CIV3PTW folder and find the file "ptw.ini"

Open it with Notepad and add these lines to the bottom of the file:

KeepRes=1
PlayIntro=0

"Save" the file then try loading the game.

The "KeepRes=1" line makes the game run in the resolution that you have your desktop set at.

The "PlayIntro=0" line causes the game to skip the introduction movie.

GoodLuck.
Old May 5, 2003, 14:56   #8
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

2) 1280 x 1024 32-bit color
If that's your desktop resolution, then it should be okay. If not, switch to 1280x1024 on the desktop and change the refresh rate for that screen resolution to something that the display can show.
Quote:
3) nope. Problem is voodoo3 drivers never came out for XP with Glide support. Still, Civ3 doesn't use glide anyway..
Well, BigFree already had a good suggestion to this, but if it doesn't work, I would seriously think about a system upgrade.
Old May 5, 2003, 15:33   #9
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
I suppose this isn't the appropriate forum for a DL dance, is it?
Old May 5, 2003, 15:48   #10
Rasbelin
Emperor

A DL for what?
Old May 5, 2003, 15:58   #11
Master Zen
Deity

I have always set the KeepRes=1, as for the PlayIntro, well, to tell the truth my PTW version is not entirely legal and does not have an intro movie which would rule out that possibility I think, but I'll try anyway... I doubt it though, my Civ3 regular is legit, shows the intro and still sometimes gets the same problem.

I remember getting this problem playing Ultima Underworld I too... but that was an old DOS game with 320x200 resolution.

Old May 5, 2003, 17:46   #12
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:45
Bongohead: hahahahahhahaa LOL

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk