Old May 7, 2003, 03:22   #31
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
they also aren't buying the good music and games coming out.
Old May 7, 2003, 06:01   #32
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Xtreme Xposting.

Last edited by Az; May 7, 2003 at 06:25.
Old May 7, 2003, 06:12   #33
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 02:50
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
they also aren't buying the good music and games coming out.
The truely interesting question is:

Would those people who to date use Filesharing Networks to share songs and the like also buy those songs if they wouldnīt have the opportunity to get them for free.

I for myself donīt use Filesharing networks (yes, such people still exist ) but nevertheless rarely buy new CDs.

Why?

Because of the high prices.
At the time where CDs still available for ~10 Euros or less, I often went to the stores and bought new CDs. But today where CDs normally cost 15 Euros and more I most of the times refrain from buying them.
On the one hand I donīt see that the CDs are worth the prices. On the other hand, the Industrie sold its first major price increases in the 90s to the public in germany, by telling the people, that those increases where just short term, because the CD was still a new medium at this time and the Industrie would have to build new plants to produce CDs and of course, those price incerases would be taken back, as soon as those new plants are established. Of course the increases where never taken back and the prices stayed at the new, higher level.

But still, I bought CDs, till they got even more expensive and surpassed the 10 Euro-Limit and today cost 15-20 Euros or even more.

So now I just regularly new CDs from 2 Artists/Bands (Roxette and Doro Pesch), sometimes if a song is really good (which seldoms happens) I buy this special Song as a Single CD (but not the LP) and occasionally I buy CDs from the bargain bin, where they are still available for prices like 5-10 Euros (which IMHO are reasonable Prices).

I totally refrain to buy CDs which are Copy protected as I often put CDs into the CD-ROM of my PC to hear them and also have a portable MP3-Player and so Iīd like to convert them into MP3-Format to hear them during travels.

Of course I donīt know if other people think alike, but I guess mayn people do and the Music-Industrie would sell much more CDs if theyīd be somehow less greedy and sell their CDs for lower prices.
Old May 7, 2003, 10:06   #34
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:50
I agree with Proteus (for a change )

What the record comapnies are hiding is that most of the cost of music today goes not to the artist, but to their pocket. It fully covers the cost of making the album and more.

They are motivated by pure greed.

If there's one problem with globalization, is that it drives the creation of such huge comapnies that can "own" the market and fix prices.