Old May 6, 2003, 12:41   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
why i love the bargain bin.
Last 5 months i've bought:

Sid Meiers Civil War collection (SMG + SMA)
1602 AD
SMAC

Total expenditure - $30 US. For less than the cost of one new game I got 4 games (Im buying games practically at the pace of a "hardcore gamer"). And I knew going in they'd be great games, since theyve been played, reviewed, etc for years. Loads of gameplay on all of them. And all were "new" games - no pirating, no abandonware, not even any used games. So Im still encouraging the making of good games.

And I can defer the purchase of a new PC.
Old May 6, 2003, 12:56   #2
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Aye, some of my best purchases were made from a bargain bin. Half-Life, Deus Ex, HOMM I, II, and III, Homeworld...
Old May 6, 2003, 13:49   #3
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
Long live the bargain bin. I bought Deus Ex, Gabriel Knight 3, Grim Fandango and Europa Universalis all from a bargain bin.
Old May 6, 2003, 13:55   #4
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I got burned a time or two but who can complain about a five dollar game? Shoot the time it took to install paid it off. I just keep combing for the classics.
Old May 6, 2003, 13:57   #5
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
I got burned a time or two but who can complain about a five dollar game? Shoot the time it took to install paid it off. I just keep combing for the classics.
curious - what game did you got burned on? I had two games that wouldnt load (one was AOK - MS copyprotect incompatible with my CD drive - grrrr!) but they were both from EB, so i returned them for credits.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:01   #6
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:51
Unfortunately, we don't have bargain bins here.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:43   #7
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 02:51
I totally agree with the lord of the mark.

Some of the games I've picked up:

Shogun - Total War. I've just started playing it, feels good! No manual, though...

Civ 2. Bundled with Command and Conquer Red Alert, which I never even installed (should I?). Civ 2 was the deal I wanted...

Grim Fandango. Excellent game!

Homeworld Cataclysm. Ditto.

The Lighthouse, Myst and Riven.

There are more...

Carolus
Old May 6, 2003, 15:04   #8
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
I totally agree with the lord of the mark.

Some of the games I've picked up:

Shogun - Total War. I've just started playing it, feels good! No manual, though...

Civ 2. Bundled with Command and Conquer Red Alert, which I never even installed (should I?). Civ 2 was the deal I wanted...

Grim Fandango. Excellent game!

Homeworld Cataclysm. Ditto.

The Lighthouse, Myst and Riven.

There are more...

Carolus

Myst is on my list also Baldurs Gate. (to get beyond strategy games)

Id like Shogun, but it would stretch my 48MB RAM dinosaur computer (and im not upgrading it to 64 given that i hope to get a new one in a few months)
Old May 6, 2003, 17:12   #9
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
Quote:
HOMM I, II, and III,
Millennium Heroes Patch, Loinburger?

Now that is a fun package!

I will say whiplash, a very fun racing game, even though I don't like many racing games.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:35   #10
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
Both Fallouts, Balders+Tales of the sword coast,Thief 1+2, Pharoah,Ceaser3........because the quality is so random with new releases these days most of my collection are bargin bin classics. Long may it continue. Anyone seen Imperialism2 in the bins?, i got the first one and would like this old classic.(no links to pirate rips thanx - i only have origonals).
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:42   #11
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

My bargain bin pickups:

Freedom Force, Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit, Earth and Beyond, and C&C: Renegades all for $20.

Starcraft and Broodwar, with guides, $20.

Moo3: $19.99 (Ebay)

Jack Nicklaus 2000, Planescape: Torment, High Heat Baseball 2000, Might and Magic 8 (I think), for about $20.

SimGolf: $15.00 at Wal-Mart

Civ3: $70.

MAME:

All my Ultimas are at bargain bin prices, as are my Star Commands, X-com, etc. I rarely buy full-priced games anymore - it's just not worth it.
Old May 6, 2003, 18:28   #12
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

Local Time: 01:51
I've found civ2, lords of the realm2 per 10$ at a bargain bin
Old May 6, 2003, 22:30   #13
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by child of Thor
Both Fallouts, Balders+Tales of the sword coast,Thief 1+2, Pharoah,Ceaser3........because the quality is so random with new releases these days most of my collection are bargin bin classics. Long may it continue. Anyone seen Imperialism2 in the bins?, i got the first one and would like this old classic.(no links to pirate rips thanx - i only have origonals).
Imp2 is definitely no longer to be found - Ive looked - have to get it online, I think.
Old May 6, 2003, 23:08   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:51
I just got Bg1 from the bargain bin. I also got Planescape: Torment from the bargain bins.

Other good games I saw in the bargain bin (but I got for full price). Fallout 1 and 2.
Old May 6, 2003, 23:10   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I saw the cid meier's civil war collection. I was contemplating buying it. Should I?

Those are RTS games aren't they? How hard are they? I'm not good at RTS like command and conquer. I can never keep up with the computer. Are the games beatable and fun?
Old May 6, 2003, 23:33   #16
pg
Prince

i rarely buy new games anymore. the bargain bin is really the way to go for almost every game. even new games which i am all hyped up on i can now convince myself to not rush out and buy them. reasons the bargain bin rules

a) games will already be patched(since it's usually a few months before they are bargain binned at least)
b) you will know from the games forum, and community if it is really a good game. games with strong communities months after their release are usually worth buying.
c) your pc might be faster by the time you buy the game thus ensuring a better experience
d) cheaper!
Old May 7, 2003, 00:37   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I'm waiting for Dungeon Seige to make it to the bargain bins. The game isn't quite good enough to buy at full price.
Old May 7, 2003, 08:08   #18
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Some more.

MOO2. How could I forget this one?

Pharaoh, Caesar 2 and 3.

Carolus
Old May 7, 2003, 08:16   #19
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:51
Lost count of all the games I have bought from the bargain bin, but here goes:

- Red Faction
- Emperor: Battle for Dune
- Black and White
- Dungeon Keeper 2
- Hitman: Codename 47
- Homeworld
- Caesar III
- Shogun Total War
- Medieval Total War
- Civ: CTP
- SMAC
- Every Ultima (except IX unfortunately)
- Red Alert II
- Jedi Knight II

And the list goes on. There just aren't that many games these days worth buying new and at full price.
Old May 7, 2003, 08:44   #20
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:51
Civ, Thief 1 and 2 for me. I don't have the desire to wait years until the game is cheap - they usually disappear completely before they even start reducing in price here.
Old May 7, 2003, 09:21   #21
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I saw the cid meier's civil war collection. I was contemplating buying it. Should I?

Those are RTS games aren't they? How hard are they? I'm not good at RTS like command and conquer. I can never keep up with the computer. Are the games beatable and fun?

Definitely not like your run of the mill RTS (no building, complex formation and morale effects, historically accurate, and you can pause and give orders IIRC) and can vary the speed.

Definitely hard though - theres this one scenario i keep getting beat on only the second difficulty level - the AI seems really smart tactically - maybe i just to need to play more and get the hang of it better.

Fun - I think so. Helps if you're a civil war buff. The RT element adds a coolness element that most historically accurate TB wargames dont quite have. If youre not into history, or prefer civish games with tech research and city building, may not be the games for you.

BTW, if you really are interested its a lot of gameplay. The Civil war collection included SMG (Gettysburg) SMA (Antietam) and South Mountain (the battle the day before Antietam) For each battle there are a couple of dozen scenarios, for each tactical level combat. For Antietam theres also a scenario of the whole battle (for gettysburg they just linked the scenarios into a campaign) there are also other scenarios available on the net - Fredricksburg, I think.
Old May 7, 2003, 09:25   #22
lord of the mark
Deity

oh and if you like the SMG concept, but prefer European history, theres a small company thats licensed the engine and uses it for Napoleonic era - Austerlitz i think.
Old May 7, 2003, 12:53   #23
unic
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark

Imp2 is definitely no longer to be found - Ive looked - have to get it online, I think.
Well, here it is easily found in the budget ranges in various stores. But what's available cheap seems to vary a lot - at least, it's different between here and England... don't know about the US.

I picked up a copy for 149:- SEK (About £11) a few weeks ago...

Other games I've bought on budget... almost everything I have. Thief, Thief 2, Baldur's gate 1 +2 + expansions, Icewind Dale + Expansion, Planescape Torment, Emperor, Zeus, Poseidon, Pharaoh, Caesar, Wizardry 8, Age of Wonders 2, Empire Earth, Deus Ex, NOLF 2, Fallout, Fallout 2, Anno 1602, .... lots of others.

In fact, during the past year, I've bought well over 30 games, but only three of them at full price (Civ 3, EU2, GalCiv) - all the rest at budget or cheap offers.

/unic
Old May 7, 2003, 16:18   #24
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
I haven't been bin diving for a while, but I remember getting Command & Conquer that way. I'm glad I didn't pay much for it, controling units in that game was like herding cats!

C-Rex - I would leave that one on the shelf or throw it on a Midsommar bonfire. (hej! )
Old May 7, 2003, 19:14   #25
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Re: why i love the bargain bin.
Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
Last 5 months i've bought:

Sid Meiers Civil War collection (SMG + SMA)
1602 AD
SMAC

Total expenditure - $30 US.
If you paid more than $5 for SMAC, u got jipped. CompUSA near me is selling box full of SMAC cds for 99cents.
Hey if anyone wants a copy and theres enough request, I'll mail it to ya for just cost of shipping + dollar.

Anyways... I almost Never buy bargain bin games. If I really like the game, Its a priority. I must pre-order, buy the first day its out or order the japanese console version. For example, most fighting games I buy with approximately twice the cost of US versions, but I get them about 3-6 months early.

But If I have only interest in it, I'll most likely borrow it from a friend or download it and if I cant I wont play it. Besides most games that are not on my priority list usually ends up being waste of money if I buy them... even for cent. I'd probably beat it in few days and forget it (or not even finish it).

I pay way too much for too few games, but I make that up by mostly playing borrowed/downloaded ones

Last edited by Zero; May 7, 2003 at 19:21.
Old May 8, 2003, 06:31   #26
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Into the Midsommar fire it will go...

Does anyone know where I can buy Deus Ex (in a Swedish boutique or on the Net)? I've heard a lot about this game and I'd like to have it.

Carolus
Old May 8, 2003, 07:18   #27
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Well seeing as most people here like the bargain bin I'll be awkward and offer an opposing view.

I don't like it............you have to play games that are at least a year old, and may well be more. Also if your interest is MP for instance, it is possible that you have missed the game at its prime.

Obviously buying a lot of full price games is not viable for most............but selecting the ones you really want and buying them the day they come out is my preferred choice.
Old May 8, 2003, 07:49   #28
Rasbelin
Emperor

Off-topic...

Carolus,

Midsommar brasa/eld/bål -> Midsummer bonfire

On-topic...

Quite much agree on that point with you, Spikey. I don't buy games often as fresh, I either wait a few months, or get them as bargains or auctions/second hand (see my second hand thread).
Old May 8, 2003, 07:59   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

I just got No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M's way for $20 today (er... yesterday)! Woo... maybe one of the best $20 I've ever spent. Great game!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 8, 2003, 08:03   #30
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, I'm enjoying the hell out of Freedom Force myself. Great game!

I also have a thing about spending $50 for a game that I very well might not play more than 5-10 hours. Because of my Civ3 experience, that's why I did the Ebay thing for Moo3 - why pay $50+ for little more than another variant on the same game engine?