Local Date: November 1, 2010
Now who would be stupid enough to loot a Nuclear Plant
You guessed it

Looters broke into nuclear plant
Some use barrels for storing water

By Christine Spolar
Tribune foreign correspondent
Published May 6, 2003

AL WADIYA, Iraq -- Halina Haloul was happy when her 15-year-old son rolled home one of the shiny blue barrels from Tuweitha nuclear plant. Young Faisal had run in, nabbed it from among hundreds of barrels filled with mysterious yellow dust and cleaned it up so well that the family planned to store drinking water in it.

Then American soldiers knocked on her door. Suddenly, Haloul and all her neighbors in this raw, dusty village were told they had rolled little toxic waste sites straight into their homes.

"We didn't know," Haloul said as she breast-fed a 20-day-old daughter in her two-room home, a dirt-floor hovel where a couple of chickens roosted with the rest of her family. "We got the barrel right before the baby was born."

Almost a month ago, looters who descended on Tuweitha compound, the main site of Iraq's nuclear program and one of the most suspect weapons sites examined by UN inspectors before the war, made off with potentially deadly booty. Dozens of metal and plastic barrels of toxic waste appear to be missing from the 3-acre site.

On Monday, officials of the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN-affiliated group that guarded the plant during years of inspection, appealed for teams to be allowed to enter Iraq to figure out just what dangers now lurk in area surrounding Tuweitha.

Tons of radioactive waste and low-level enriched uranium were on the premises and kept sealed from the outside world before the war, one official said. Now no one has any idea how much of the potentially harmful substances are missing, he added.

IAEA `absolutely concerned'

"We are absolutely concerned," said Mark Gwozdecky, spokesman for the atomic energy agency.

Gwozdecky said the agency was alerted on April 9 that the compound, about 30 miles from downtown Baghdad, had been broken into during the days of chaos following the fall of the regime of Saddam Hussein. The agency contacted U.S. representatives twice--on April 11 and April 30--after reports emerged of looting at the plant, home to four reactors. The U.S. military has yet to respond about how it secured Tuweitha, if it did, in the first days of war.

Over the years of inspection, the nuclear agency documented that the plant had tons of radioactive waste and a substance known as yellow cake, a uranium derivative that must be substantially refined to be used in a nuclear weapon but still is regarded as a hazardous material.

In the wake of the looting, Gwozdecky said, the agency had serious concerns that people near the plant, as well as the environment, might be harmed.

In addition, looters broke into a laboratory where thousands of screw worms, a parasite that infests farm animals, were being bred for use in a vaccination project. All those worms were set free by looters, and the the agency could not estimate the effect that would have on the environment, Gwozdecky said.

Employees from the nuclear plant said they quickly alerted U.S. soldiers to the problem, but villagers appeared to have been warned about the barrels only when news reports of the toxicity surfaced.

"They were nice, clean, bright containers," said one plant scientist who declined to give his name. "They were well-built, without any possibility for corrosion. That's why people wanted them. There were at least 200 barrels there. I think they've only been able to get 20 percent of them back."

Army guards at the front of the plant would not discuss the potential hazards. About 2 miles away, near an isolated building littered with large, dusty barrels, soldiers said they had been warning people, for fear of contamination, not to walk past the front gate.

A week ago, Army hazardous materials teams tested the one building near where five soldiers slept under the open sky.

"The scientists came in and their Geiger counters were just screaming," said Sgt. Brian Keller, one of the guards.

`Everyone took one'

Some villagers, for at least a week if not longer, used the barrels for storing water, fuel or even milk. Many said they threw out the barrels as soon as they heard about a health risk. Some said that when they snatched the barrels from Tuweitha, they dumped the yellow dust near the plant.

A few villagers in the hardscrabble land apparently cannot quite bear giving up the nice-looking barrels.

"Everybody took one," said Mutar Ayel, a 55-year-old father of 12 who lives on the edge of Al Wadiyah and has kept one of the barrels on his roof. His barrel is marked No. 119.

Ayel said he has heard there is a problem with the barrels.

"They say they can make you sick," he said. But he is not convinced there isn't some good use for the plastic container. Only a few people he knew complained that they didn't feel well after handling the barrels, he said.

"I'm not going to throw it away," he said. "Somebody, sometime, might want it. Do you want to buy a barrel?"

Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune

Well at least Darwinism will help the world in this instance. Especially for Mutar Ayel. It must take extreme brain power to loot "NUMBERED" barrels from a nuclear plant. Suspicious yellow powder, don't worry, I dumped it and cleaned out the barrel. Storing drinking water in it now. I don't even think people in rural Mississippi would be this stupid. (but you never know. )
Old May 6, 2003, 13:37   #2
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Look AMHED!! WE HIT THE JACKPOT! SPENT PLUTONIUM RODS!!!!!
Old May 6, 2003, 13:43   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

These are the most stupid people in the world.

"I'm not going to throw it away," he said. "Somebody, sometime, might want it." - He sounds like my grandmother.
Old May 6, 2003, 13:49   #4
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
Look AMHED!! WE HIT THE JACKPOT! SPENT PLUTONIUM RODS!!!!!
If these people could stroll right in and pick up a few things, I'd hate to see who got a hold of the real bad stuff, and what they could do with it.

Over a year of planning for these contingencies on the part of the coalition, and an abject failure to safeguard these sites due to the obsession with securing the oil sources.

way to go
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:00   #5
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:51
Did they catch the newly named "Mr. Glow-in-the-dark-balls" yet?
Old May 6, 2003, 14:02   #6
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:51
"Now who would be stupid enough to loot a Nuclear Plant..."

Someone who never heard about nukes, atomic energy, gamma-rays, and so...
IMHO, ignorance and stupidity aren't the same thing. However, the results sometimes are the same...
Old May 6, 2003, 14:10   #7
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

This goes beyond ignorance. Even after being warned about the dangers to not get rid of them. If you live next to one for many years, you've got to have at least a little clue. Reading the article it sounded like darn near the whole town participated.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:15   #8
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:51
I reckon the villagers would know how dangerous the place is by now - with great big signs ("Danger! Radiation - Keep Out" in Arabic), armed guards, tall (maybe even electricfied) fences, the whole works.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:18   #9
gsmoove23
Warlord

"We didn't know," Haloul said as she breast-fed a 20-day-old daughter in her two-room home, a dirt-floor hovel where a couple of chickens roosted with the rest of her family.

Lets all laugh at they're stupidity. I don't think the regime was really advertising what the plant was to the locals in the dirt floor hovels. I'd like to try convincing my depression era grandparents to try to get rid of a perfectly good barrel.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:20   #10
Q Classic
Emperor

Perhaps they didn't believe it 'cause it was saddam's plant...?

ah, well. perhaps they'll be unable to breed, which is a good thing.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:28   #11
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 16:51
How could these people not know if they lived so close to a nuclear power plant? I mean Iraq still had schools under Sadam, you cant tell me that they were that bad that should have know radiation is bad, and often takes a while to effect you.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:29   #12
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmoove23
Lets all laugh at they're stupidity. I don't think the regime was really advertising what the plant was to the locals in the dirt floor hovels. I'd like to try convincing my depression era grandparents to try to get rid of a perfectly good barrel.
While I feel some agreement with your statement, this just seems to be beyond that. My grandmother wouldn't have gotten rid of the barrel either, but She also would never have participated in looting. She was poor, but she was blessed with great integrity.

RAH
Old May 6, 2003, 14:36   #13
gsmoove23
Warlord

I of course feel the same way about my grandparents, because they're saints, cause they're my grandparents, but honestly I can't say. All I know is that compared to these particular Iraqis I've lived in the lap of luxury my whole life, with an education that would blow they're minds and the use of the darwin award in this instance seems like your nominating yourself, except of course you won't die from radiation poisoning from it.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:41   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:51
Man, that's bad. First of all, it's bad because those people are probably going to have health problems resulting from their ignorance (and/or stupidity, the guy quoted at the end has crossed from ignorance to stupidity). Second, because we (the US of A) are gonna get blamed for it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:46   #15
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 16:51
I think they did not think to secure the nuclear plant right away was that they may have thougth the mobs of people on the streets would not be dumb enough to loot a nuclear power plant.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:47   #16
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

"We didn't know," Haloul said as she breast-fed a 20-day-old daughter in her two-room home, a dirt-floor hovel where a couple of chickens roosted with the rest of her family. "We got the barrel right before the baby was born."

Rah, if you are living in the XVIIIth century, with nothing but the Koran to teach you how the world works - literally... Yep, you may do things like that. "Radiation - Keep Out" in Arabic, with armed guards, means "something valuable is stored in this place" in common language, if you don't have the background to understand it.

It's not stupidity, even if they did it after being warned about the dangers... They don't have many reasons to trust in authorities. Not in Iraq. The religious leader, or the local tribal chief are probably the only people they are used to trust.
Old May 6, 2003, 14:52   #17
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:51
It's like in the Simpson's when Homer takes the source home (old intro scene).
Old May 6, 2003, 15:08   #18
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Re: Now who would be stupid enough to loot a Nuclear Plant
Quote:
[SIZE=1] Originally posted by Aro

It's not stupidity, even if they did it after being warned about the dangers... They don't have many reasons to trust in authorities. Not in Iraq. The religious leader, or the local tribal chief are probably the only people they are used to trust.
I'm sorry, read the story again.

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

"They say they can make you sick," he said. But he is not convinced there isn't some good use for the plastic container. Only a few people he knew complained that they didn't feel well after handling the barrels, he said.
ONLY A FEW PEOPLE COMPLAINED. I think if even one had complained I might have been suspicious and might have put a little weight in the warnings. This is just stupidity.

RAH
Old May 6, 2003, 15:12   #19
Q Classic
Emperor

Wouldn't it be darkly amusing if we didn't find the chemical weapons squirreled away in some government bunker, but being used as a disinfectant and/or anti-pest treatment by some peasants in the area?
Old May 6, 2003, 15:18   #20
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

My vote is for stupidity. Perhaps originally ignorance, but definately followed up with stupidity.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old May 6, 2003, 16:33   #21
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

ONLY A FEW PEOPLE COMPLAINED. I think if even one had complained I might have been suspicious and might have put a little weight in the warnings. This is just stupidity.

RAH
Same with me, Rah. But we are well-educated men of our times. We're learning the "scientific method" since we were born...

Rah, you don't know the "absolute" poverty or ignorance, do you? I mean, have you seen what poverty, prejudices, obscurantism, fundamentalism, illiteracy, old social structures, old beliefs and dictatorships, all mixed together, can do?

A significant part of our world can't see any of those clues. They can't read the signs. They aren't trained to do that.

"ONLY A FEW PEOPLE COMPLAINED."

In a place with high mortality rates, caused by the lack of basic services (like regions of Iraq... or Brazil...), health is a matter of bad or good luck.

I've seen this kind of behavior here in Brazil, in regions of extreme poverty and absence of the State. Intelligent people, able to deal with many problems and figure out intelligent solutions... But some problems are just beyond their ability to understand.
Old May 6, 2003, 16:42   #22
rah
lifer
Just another peon

stu·pid ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.

"Beyond their ability to understand"
by your own words. Stupid.

RAH
I'll concede ignorance on some but Mutar is beyond that. He's stupid......I mean slow to understand.
Old May 6, 2003, 16:42   #23
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 20:51

"I'm not going to throw it away," he said. "Somebody, sometime, might want it. Do you want to buy a barrel?"

That's so sad, but so so funny.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old May 6, 2003, 16:45   #24
gsmoove23
Warlord

Actually, hes not so stupid as oportunistic. He doesn't want to use it, just sell it to some other sucker.
Old May 6, 2003, 16:50   #25
rah
lifer
Just another peon

That comes from poverty. Yes poverty is bad and it may even be an excuse, but it doesn't change the fact.

Someone tells me that the barrels may cause sickness.
Some of the People that handled barrels are sick after handling the barrels. Slow to grasp connection=stupid.
Old May 6, 2003, 16:58   #26
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 02:51
Hohoho - Now I have depleted uranium!

3rd world people could steal anything. A friend of mine who was a UN soldier said a trooper from Senegal stole some light rods (I don't know the exact English word for them - 1 the meter long light bulbs). When they did not fit into the box he was sending home, he broke them in two pieces before he packed them!
Old May 6, 2003, 16:58   #27
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
stu·pid ( P ) Pronunciation Key (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.

"Beyond their ability to understand"
by your own words. Stupid.

RAH
I'll concede ignorance on some but Mutar is beyond that. He's stupid......I mean slow to understand.
I can show you a math problem "beyond your ability to understand". Or you can show me a problem like that.

But... with time, and the necessary knowledge, you can understand. I can understand. Maybe.

So... are we stupid? I may look stupid sometimes, but this is not the same thing, is it?

But I'll agree: in common language, "stupid" is many times used as a replacement of "ignorant". Same in Portuguese.
And I'll concede... Mutar is a real stubborn... and THIS means "stupid", many times
Old May 6, 2003, 17:07   #28
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I can show you a math problem "beyond your ability to understand". Or you can show me a problem like that.

But... with time, and the necessary knowledge, you can understand. I can understand. Maybe.

So... are we stupid? I may look stupid sometimes, but this is not the same thing, is it?
And If I was slow to understand a math problem, I would deserve to be called stupid in Math. If aliens ever come to earth and we can't quickly understand all the concepts of their technology, then yes, they can call humans stupid. I guess I don't put quite the absolute negative connotation to the word "stupid" as you do.

Mutar was stupid and stubborn.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:19   #29
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:51
Mohammed & Ackmed didn't know why all there hair had begun to fall out and their muscles begin to whither away. They never put put one and one together and thought that maybe, just maybe, that storing their drinking water in an old toxic waste container wasn't such a good idea...

Che, wasn't it you who kept saying the Iraqis were a well-educated people? I can only imagine you meant well educated compared to the rest of the illiterate Arab masses.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; May 6, 2003 at 17:46.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:21   #30
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 02:51
Are you saying you don't have stupid criminals in US?