Old May 6, 2003, 17:23   #31
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
Hohoho - Now I have depleted uranium!

3rd world people could steal anything. A friend of mine who was a UN soldier said a trooper from Senegal stole some light rods (I don't know the exact English word for them - 1 the meter long light bulbs). When they did not fit into the box he was sending home, he broke them in two pieces before he packed them!

Life must be grand when you are that stupid. I mean everything just must be absolutely wonderful.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:27   #32
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 00:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
If someone is ignorant, they dont have the facts.

If they are stupid, they cannot learn the facts.

These Iraqis are ignorant.

Nuff said.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:27   #33
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Are you saying you don't have stupid criminals in US?

I'm saying that this one takes the cake! He is by far the stupidest bastard I have ever heard of at least from a reputable news source; I'm not counting things like the Darwin awards though our young friend and his family are possible future contenders.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:28   #34
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

i dont think they are stupid, just willfully ignorant.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:29   #35
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:52
Of course we have stupid criminals in the US, Olaf. And we point & laugh accordingly. Heard the one about the thief who fell asleep at the scene of the crime? Or the burglar who didn't know the area very well, and kept wandering around near the crime scene until, several hours later, he was arrested by the cops who noticed him? Funny ****, and that's not even the half of it. Criminals are often stupid.

I'm not really laughing about this one, though, because though that may be tempting, the fact that this is ignorance as much as stupidity (Mutar excluded) and a bunch of ignorant people are probably gonna get cancer now. And that sucks.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:29   #36
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 21:52
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

I guess I don't put quite the absolute negative connotation to the word "stupid" as you do.
You're right.

Stupid: not intelligent or able to consider or judge things carefully.
© Macmillan Publishers Ltd. 2002

The "not intelligent" thing annoy me a little, I admit...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Nuff said.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:32   #37
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 02:52
Oerdin, I was referring to your comment about education level in Iraq and any possible links to this event. I think most criminals are less educated than the average citizen wherever they live.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:33   #38
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Nuff said.
There is not knowing the facts and then there is having all the facts right in front of you but not having/using common sense to put one and one together. Someone who is that slow on the up take isn't just ignorant (though he is no doubt ignorant as well) but also STUPID.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:34   #39
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 19:52
Quote:
Are you saying you don't have stupid criminals in US?
What does that have to do with it. As others have said.
Yes we do, and we laugh and call them stupid too.

The taco bell employee that went back in to rob the store after his shift, he wore a mask to cover his face but was still wearing his work shirt with his name sown on.

Yes, I feel sympathy to those that were ignorant. But Mutar being confronted with the danger and had witnessed it from others, still would not understand.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:41   #40
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 02:52
Sorry Rah, I did not read your first comment about rural Mississipi until now.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:42   #41
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
You're right.

Stupid: not intelligent or able to consider or judge things carefully.
© Macmillan Publishers Ltd. 2002

The "not intelligent" thing annoy me a little, I admit...
Me too.

And since I play a lot of golf, and agreed to be a mod here, I'm quite familiar with stupidity.
Old May 6, 2003, 17:53   #42
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'm a cartoonist and journalist. I'm quite familiar with stupidity, too... and ignorance. Mainly from my editor, but also in interviews... You can't imagine what I've heard in 30 years in my profession.
Old May 6, 2003, 19:22   #43
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Hmmm, I was referring to myself
Old May 6, 2003, 20:31   #44
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 18:52
Terrorists.

"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 6, 2003, 23:24   #45
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Hmmm, I was referring to myself
No, it's not true, oh powerful mod!!

But that golf thing...
Old May 7, 2003, 00:50   #46
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Rah, if you are living in the XVIIIth century, with nothing but the Koran to teach you how the world works - literally... Yep, you may do things like that. "Radiation - Keep Out" in Arabic, with armed guards, means "something valuable is stored in this place" in common language, if you don't have the background to understand it.
Iraq had the best education in the area, and the Ba'ath was a secular party. Really, I am pretty sure the people had a good idea of how dangerous the plant was.
Old May 7, 2003, 00:52   #47
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

you know, you would think the U.S. would be interested in protecting nuclear facilities. I guess all they are about are the oil wells

in any case it depends on what kind of nuclear plant we are talking about. If it is just a regular power generating facility most of that stuff that can be removed is not radioactive, or has little radioactivity.
Old May 7, 2003, 01:17   #48
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
How could these people not know if they lived so close to a nuclear power plant? I mean Iraq still had schools under Sadam, you cant tell me that they were that bad that should have know radiation is bad, and often takes a while to effect you.
People in Iraq knew not to ever question authority about anything. These are rural people living on dirt floors looking for something to hold water in, for God's sake - they don't even ****ing have plumbing, and you expect them to understand radiation and toxic risks? With the economic state of a lot of these people, a decent water container for free is probably like manna from heaven. Try living (or seeing) third world poverty and access to information before condemning them.

Hundreds of Iraqi government facilities had barbed wire, guards, and "keep your ass away from here" signs - so that's not new. The fact that the Iraqis were storing this stuff so accessibly indicates a totally lax attitude about safety, which only happens if/when people in contact with hazards have no idea how bad those hazards are.

UR - The Ba'ath may be secular, but a majority of Iraqis are not Ba'ath party members. And education was for the elite and the urban useful, not for the rural masses.
Old May 7, 2003, 01:58   #49
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Iraq had the best education in the area, and the Ba'ath was a secular party. Really, I am pretty sure the people had a good idea of how dangerous the plant was.
You're right. But maybe not all over the country. Euros and Americans tend to think in uniform countries... But I live in Brazil.
Bagdhad and other few cities (probably the ones invaded or surrounded) seems to be modern places. But what about the small villages? See that description:

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
"We didn't know," Haloul said as she breast-fed a 20-day-old daughter in her two-room home, a dirt-floor hovel where a couple of chickens roosted with the rest of her family. "We got the barrel right before the baby was born."
I can't see good education in a place like that.

Btw, this happened in Brazil:

"On September 1987, the owner of a scrap iron store opened the canister from an unattended cesium bomb, in the City of Goiânia (Brazil). The radioactive cesium spread over a large area and many people were intensely irradiated."

"Hints about atomic power in Brazil
Joaquim Moura
Subject: Hints about atomic power in Brazil

Unfortunately, I am not very able to help you in relation to this topic, but
I can give you some starting hints:

First: do you know that the Western worst nuclear accident has occurred in Brazil, some years ago, when a group of poor people, from a poor neighborhood in Goiania, found a nuclear capsule with Cesio something, and as they didn't know anything about atomic radiation, they opened the capsule, tried to sold the luminous sand that they found inside it, and a young girl had even tried to taste a bit of it. Of course many of them are dead now, including the poor young girl, and many families are still suffering a lot. The government has already forgotten its responsibilities, so the original owner of the radioactive capsule (a x-ray clinic). The streets where those poor people lived had their grounds removed by huge machines, and all those tons of earth have filled hundreds of containers that nobody knows how to store safely...
......................................."

Here's the link .

Or do a google search with the words "Goiania", "Cesio" and "Brazil".

Old May 7, 2003, 02:01   #50
Aro
lifer
Emperor

MtG, you said all.
Old May 7, 2003, 07:55   #51
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:52
[ ]

/me wonders what else was stolen.
/me wonders if any of this stolen material will be used in terrorist acts against US.
/me wonders if the US was stupid not to keep an eye on material that could be used to make 'dirty bombs' in a country harbouring terrorists.

[/ ]
Old May 7, 2003, 08:03   #52
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 20:52
Reminds me of the three iraqis found mauled by the dangerous animals @ the zoo.
Old May 7, 2003, 08:06   #53
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:52
Who would be stupid enough to fill a small very densely populated country with nuclear reactors and not work out that there might be a porblem getting rid of all the nasty stuff when they got old.

Oh hang on a minute...
Old May 7, 2003, 08:10   #54
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 03:52
Wait a sec, IRAQ HAD A NUKULAR PLANT?

holy ****.
Old May 7, 2003, 09:03   #55
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

didnt israel blow it up?
Old May 7, 2003, 09:16   #56
Az
Emperor

Didn't the inspections say there aren't any?
Old May 7, 2003, 09:23   #57
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

nope. actually inspectors visited that specific plant.
Old May 7, 2003, 09:48   #58
Az
Emperor

and what did they say?
Old May 7, 2003, 09:55   #59
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

not too sure what the inspectors said.
Old May 7, 2003, 09:56   #60
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 18:52
The Iraqis were not denied civilain and industrial uses of nuclear energy.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw