View Poll Results: Would you like to see a custom map for the PTWDGII?
Yes 13 56.52%
No 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7, 2003, 14:28   #31
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
the time it takes to play the turns is not the issue, it's how long it will take to finish the game. One larger maps empires become bigger and thus more difficult to finish off.
hi ,

and thats where all the fun is , ...

nothing is easy , .....

okay , if we want a real fast game we take the small map , .....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 16:17   #32
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
and thats where all the fun is , ...
Some people would agree, but the poll clearly showed that most people are interested in a standard size map. Unless you want that poll reopened, I suggest that you drop the map size discussion, since it will be fruitless - unless you want to hold a discussion just for the sake of the discussion, and I respect that; but in that case, at least say so, instead of trying to persuade people to go against a majority's vote.
- Phantom of the Opera
Shiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 16:35   #33
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Shiber vs Panag wars have restarted!!

Anyway, Shiber's right, the issue was already settled. We're simply arguing here on whether the map should be made by the editor or by people or by both.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 16:51   #34
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Anyway, Shiber's right, the issue was already settled. We're simply arguing here on whether the map should be made by the editor or by people or by both.
...and yet I'd bet my money that Panag will tell me to "stay on topic" in his next post.
- Phantom of the Opera
Shiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 17:27   #35
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 19:53
whats wrong with good ol' comp generated map? if u start in a less favorable position, you can make best out of it.

I'll have to say no, cause doing it with random gen is just sooooo much simpler.
Old May 7, 2003, 21:07   #36
HarryH
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG2 Sunshine
King

Local Time: 16:53
I have not signed up but I wanted to put in a few comments. After playing a lot of Civ3 games using the random maps I wanted some things different. I decided what I wanted in a game and used the editor to generate a random map that came close to what I wanted. Then I made a few tweaks. Nothing big. Some examples:

One time I wanted a map where all the civs could not find each other before navigation/magnetism. I kept generating maps until I got one that was close. I then eliminated an island and changed the cost and sea around that island to ocean. Even the civ with the Great Lighthouse could not cross without risking the galleys. It was quite interesting to get a popup about a completed wonder when you had no idea a civ was even that far advanced.

Another thing I wanted to try was keeping civs around a little longer. Typically a few of the AI civs exit the game early (i.e., before or during early middle ages) because they had a poor start location and another civ took them out. So I decided to generate a map and check all the start locations. I improved a few by doing things like adding a few more game in tundra, moving a start off a patch of hills that were comletely surrounded by a massive mountain plateau, adding a few fish around a small island that was mostly hills and mountains, or adding a source of fresh water to a large area that was cut off from fresh water. Interestingly enough, except for a couple of civs I wiped out along the way, all the other civs made it to the industrial age.

I don't think there are too many people skilled enough to make a complete map from scratch that would be fair to all while at the same time providing the variety the random map generator can without unbalancing the play of the game itself. A few tweaks to an generated map though can change the excitement in the game.
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 21:36   #37
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:53
A tweaked computer generated map would be best.

Just keep the tweaking to a minimum.
Old May 8, 2003, 23:59   #38
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:53
Vote!

This is a very important issue and there's only a voter turnout of about 35%.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 02:56   #39
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

Some people would agree, but the poll clearly showed that most people are interested in a standard size map. Unless you want that poll reopened, I suggest that you drop the map size discussion, since it will be fruitless - unless you want to hold a discussion just for the sake of the discussion, and I respect that; but in that case, at least say so, instead of trying to persuade people to go against a majority's vote.
hi ,

tiny ; 1
small ; 2
standard ; 13
large ; 7
huge ; 7

so what 46.66 % of the people says does not count , .... intresting , .....

bye

Last edited by panag; May 9, 2003 at 04:02.
Old May 9, 2003, 03:06   #40
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:53
Quote:

hi ,

tiny ; 1
small ; 2
standard ; 19
large ; 7
huge ; 7

so what 46.66 % of the people says does not count , .... intresting , .....

bye
In a Democracy (Check the Name of the game BTW...) it's the other 53.33% that counts the most. Hence that was the choice of most of the people. What the others voted for counts, but not enough to change what the majority wanted. If you don't unsderstand this then you belong on the shlef in one of WhiteBandit's classes.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 04:04   #41
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

a repoll should have been done , ....

its clear that more people want a larger map then standard , ...

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2003, 04:14   #42
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

panag, do I have to spell the meaning of "democracy" to you or do you just want to start an argument for the sake of having a higher post count?

In a democracy, no matter what the 49% of the people want, the 51% always wins, like it or not. Yes, it's a crappy system, but like Churchill said, it's the worst "apart from all the others"

And according to your argument you are also wrong, as it is also clear that more people want a smaller than large map 16 vs 14

-MZ

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 9, 2003, 04:18   #43
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
hi ,

have a nice day
You are a moron if you think 14>19

There's no nice way to put it, you are becoming annoying.

I suppose you could then tell me that the are more people who want a smaller map than standard too, using your highly developed math skills. Your equation would look like this: 3>19<14

Yeah right.
Old May 9, 2003, 04:21   #44
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

You are a moron if you think 14>19

There's no nice way to put it, you are becoming annoying.

I suppose you could then tell me that the are more people who want a smaller map than standard too, using your highly developed math skills. Your equation would look like this: 3>19<14

Yeah right.

13 versus 14 , ......

13 for standard , 7 for large , 7 for huge , .....

and leave the moron part , ....

next time read before you count , ....
Old May 9, 2003, 04:23   #45
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

In a Democracy (Check the Name of the game BTW...) it's the other 53.33% that counts the most. Hence that was the choice of most of the people. What the others voted for counts, but not enough to change what the majority wanted. If you don't unsderstand this then you belong on the shlef in one of WhiteBandit's classes.
on the shlef in wb's classes , .....

hey , its a great teacher
Old May 9, 2003, 04:27   #46
Master Zen
Deity

panag, COUNT:

people who want big (large/huge) maps: 14
people who want smaller (tiny/small/standard) maps: 16

you lose.

-MZ

Old May 9, 2003, 04:34   #47
BigFree
Deity

Quote:

13 versus 14 , ......

13 for standard , 7 for large , 7 for huge , .....

and leave the moron part , ....

next time read before you count , ....
I did read panag, though it was you who went back to your post in which you post the vote totals and edited it. I didn't check the numbers myself, I went with what you wrote and what you were compaining about. If you are going to go back and edit your posts, at least own up to the fact that you did it, and don't try to make it look as though I did not read what you wrote correctly.

MZ summed it up best before I could, so there.
Old May 9, 2003, 04:46   #48
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I did read panag, though it was you who went back to your post in which you post the vote totals and edited it. I didn't check the numbers myself, I went with what you wrote and what you were compaining about. If you are going to go back and edit your posts, at least own up to the fact that you did it, and don't try to make it look as though I did not read what you wrote correctly.

MZ summed it up best before I could, so there.
and thats why you need to use personal insults , ....

next time check before you post , .....

i was compaining about it , yeah right , .....

what does the post read , it reads "intresting" , ..... intresting , ...... thats all , ......
Old May 9, 2003, 04:49   #49
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
panag, COUNT:

people who want big (large/huge) maps: 14
people who want smaller (tiny/small/standard) maps: 16

you lose.

-MZ
hi ,

i posted the word intresting , .....

cause clearly half of the people have shown some intrest towards a larger map , 46.66 % , .....

thats why the post was posted , .....

and what is left to count , nothing , its just a remark , thats all , .... its an intresting fact , .....

clearly people wanted at least a standard map ( or something above ) instead of a tiny or small map , .....

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2003, 04:52   #50
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
hi ,

have a nice day
You also posted this, which totally contradicts your previous post.

-MZ

Old May 9, 2003, 04:56   #51
BigFree
Deity

Quote:

clearly people wanted at least a standard map ( or something above ) instead of a tiny or small map , .....

have a nice day
I had to take out the rest of the garbage; but what you stated above is true, hence we are going with a standard map, for now.

I say "for now"; because we may have a full 8 teams and a larger map may be warranted for more teams. Once the teams are formed a new poll will probably be posted. You should calm yourself before you make irrational posts; you only draw anger and resentment from your fellow posters when you do such.
Old May 9, 2003, 05:04   #52
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

You also posted this, which totally contradicts your previous post.

-MZ
hi ,

it does not contradict anything , i still stand by this , ....

if its a democrazy then the 46.66 can not be left out standing in the cold , ....

its just an intresting observation to see thats all , .....

a repoll could have been done , ... it could have been a complete different poll , but we cant know that , ......

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2003, 05:07   #53
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I had to take out the rest of the garbage; but what you stated above is true, hence we are going with a standard map, for now.

I say "for now"; because we may have a full 8 teams and a larger map may be warranted for more teams. Once the teams are formed a new poll will probably be posted. You should calm yourself before you make irrational posts; you only draw anger and resentment from your fellow posters when you do such.
should you no be calm before you post , ......

and if you had to sort out the garbage , dont bother , trow everything in the trash , ....
Old May 9, 2003, 05:11   #54
BigFree
Deity

Quote:

hi ,

it does not contradict anything , i still stand by this , ....

if its a democrazy then the 46.66 can not be left out standing in the cold , ....

its just an intresting observation to see thats all , .....

a repoll could have been done , ... it could have been a complete different poll , but we cant know that , ......

have a nice day
So in a Democarcy you think we should 're-poll' if a certain group doesn't like the reults? Whatever!
Old May 9, 2003, 05:11   #55
Master Zen
Deity

panag, why then don't you start your own PTW Dictatorship Game in which you decide the map size, civs, etc etc. I'm sure people will flock to join

Like it or not this is a democracy game.

Old May 9, 2003, 05:13   #56
BigFree
Deity

Quote:

should you no be calm before you post , ......

and if you had to sort out the garbage , dont bother , trow everything in the trash , ....
It was all your words, so going to the trash with them is no problem my spamming nonsensical fellow poster!
Old May 9, 2003, 05:15   #57
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

So in a Democarcy you think we should 're-poll' if a certain group doesn't like the reults? Whatever!
nope , we should not repoll if we dont like the reults , .....

but we normally well in some cases at least repoll if we see that the there is a large percentage that would have linked an other option , .....

in a democarcy we take into account the large groups of wishes and thoughts , ....

not to mention the fact that in this case there are a number of reasons we should go for a large map , .....
Old May 9, 2003, 05:17   #58
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
panag, why then don't you start your own PTW Dictatorship Game in which you decide the map size, civs, etc etc. I'm sure people will flock to join

Like it or not this is a democracy game.
hi ,

allready done a long time ago , ....

ones again if this would be a true democracy game that has the name of democracy high in its standards then we should take in account those 46.66 people that have voted also , .....

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2003, 05:19   #59
Master Zen
Deity

Yes, that is why the US "re-polled" during the last election

seriously, the job of a democracy isn't to please everyone with the votes, it's to please them once they get in power.

Anyway, enough of this senseless discussion. I'm outta here. No use trying to argue with someone like you panag who argues just for the sake of irritating people. Honestly, I'd think of better things to do with my time than that.

Old May 9, 2003, 05:23   #60
BigFree
Deity

Quote:

but we normally well in some cases at least repoll if we see that the there is a large percentage that would have linked an other option , .....
So what other 'option' could there have been? All of the avaiable options were listed, I believe. I guess we coulda listed:

98x98 map
99x99 map

Whatever dude, you are a true spam artist, I tip my cap to that for you! You make an argument then you twist it till it's another argument. Most people just give up on reasoning with you rather than trying to argue with you. I don't think you understand the difference between the two, seriously.