Old May 9, 2003, 23:12   #61
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
SCSI eh...i should try it. Ive never used a SCSI HD only IDE. I imagine an awesome speed difference
Not really. But even if it's just Windows booting quicker it saves you time. When a game chucks a lot of data to or from a hard disk though, you will really love a SCSI HD.

SCSI-2 ain't that good - try SCSI-3 or better. Oh yeah, one other benefit - assuming your CD or DVD drives are still on IDE, your games install quicker (because the IDE bus is used to read the data and the SCSI bus to write it).

I personally wouldn't buy any 1st generation new hardware. I don't see why I should pay for being a beta tester.

If SATA drives and controllers get really cheap, all well and good. The power saving side of it is to be applauded. For the meantime, stick with tested tech - it's a lot cheaper and a lot more reliable.
Old May 9, 2003, 23:26   #62
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:53
It depends on what you do. A friend of mine is into mucking with video, and he swears by SCSI Ultra160. I agree that most users have no use for the speed, even though as Cruddy said, program installation goes a lot faster, and Windows starts faster.
Old May 10, 2003, 01:25   #63
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 00:53
Well for all my Video edit I just use Firewire in/out (beats USB 2.x). My ATA133 works fine for it anyway.

As for Serial ata. I have heard it touted alot among gamers. I mainly game, and am into hm Editing more and more. But from the benchmarks i have seen, performance doesnt really justify cost. I figure SATA will probably lose its appeal and start disappearing anyway.

Ill give Scuzzi some thought. I was thinkin about gettin my own seperate Server+domain and hosting stuff anyway. But thats later. This is for my next gaming platform