Old May 7, 2003, 09:24   #1
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 01:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
New Paradox game announced! Victoria (1835-1920)
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/victoria.asp

Guide your nation from the era of absolute monarchies of the early 19th century to evolve into a fully industrialized Great Power at the dawn of the 20th century! You must make sure that you stay ahead in wealth and strength, and skillfully manage the democratization process without disintegrating.

Victoria focus on six different aspects, all interconnected, to provide a deep, yet easily accessible game-play; Diplomacy, Warfare, Economy & Industrialisation, Colonisation, Technological Development and Political Simulation.

Diplomacy
Victoria has a full flexible diplomatic system based on the concepts from EU1/2 and HoI, with bilateral alliances, limited colonial wars, claims over provinces, and much tied in to the concept of national prestige as the strength in diplomatic actions. Victoria also introduces a complex peace resolution system where claims can be given up, as well as trade deals and resources.

Warfare
Warfare is similar to the system in HoI with divisions of various types constituting the core of the land forces. Troop types are Militia, Colonial Troops, Regular Infantry, Elite Guards, and Cavalry. Divisions will have home provinces and cultures tied to them. Some sort of tactical decisions depending on the commander of the armies will occur. Each individual ship (frigate, man-o-war, ironclad, and dreadnought) will be named. Combat values are based on the three concepts of firepower, organisation and morale.

Economy - Industrialisation
The large focus in Victoria is on the industrialisation of the nations. Provinces have different amount of resources, and you can build lots of different buildings in different categories, like resource-mines, refineries, goods-manufactories, government buildings and military buildings. Resources can be shipped via convoys and rail, and/or sold to other nations on a world market. The economical development properly simulates the process of industrialisation. Supply and Demand affect prices where monopolies of certain items can lead to great wealth.

Colonisation
Colonisation in Victoria is all about laying claims to the vast lands not controlled by the industrialized nations. Claims can be contested, and will sometimes lead to war. Explorers can be sent to areas to map out the white spots on the map, and will discover new resources for the empire. Colonists are moving from overpopulated countries in the old world, to the most free and prosperous colonies and new nations,

Technological Development
The technology system is completely revolutionary, with its core based around the old concept of technology tree, but with the added concept of historical events giving you advances over time, depending on what you research in the technology trees.

Political Simulation
Victoria includes an advanced system that simulates the decisions and preferences of ideologies and parties of the people in a nation. Preferred ideologies can be tweaked by the player. Democratic nations give better economical development but low political stability, while monarchies lack the economical development but are more stable.

Screenshot: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/media/vi...vic_030507.JPG

Sounds good
August Borms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 09:37   #2
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:55
At least they revealed it! It was about time! I have been all exited for several days now.

The one thing I'm disappointed about, is that they didn't let it start in 1820, so that we with help of CK, could play a nation from 1066 to 1920! What a game that would have been!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 10:17   #3
August Borms
Prince

Yeah, I would have liked it too if it started in 1820, mainly because then it would be possible to prevent Belgium from breaking away from the Netherlands
Old May 7, 2003, 12:00   #4
Kropotkin
Emperor

Wow, the map doesn't look exacly like it does in HoI or EU. I didn't expect anything as revolutionary as that!
Old May 7, 2003, 13:17   #5
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 19:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If this one keeps most of the great stuff from EUII (Diplomatic model, etc.) plus whatever can be recycled from HoI (unit upgrades, technology tree...), I'm sold.
Old May 7, 2003, 15:33   #6
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:
Yeah, I would have liked it too if it started in 1820, mainly because then it would be possible to prevent Belgium from breaking away from the Netherlands
Then conquer them!

Quote:
Wow, the map doesn't look exacly like it does in HoI or EU. I didn't expect anything as revolutionary as that!
I like it, but bear in mind that it might change to something even better under the development!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old May 7, 2003, 17:17   #7
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I can only do one thing after this great news:

Old May 7, 2003, 17:20   #8
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Originally posted by August Borms
Are you kidding? Now we Belgians, back then the most populated, industrialized and prosperous part of the Netherlands, have the opportunity to conquer Netherland and give Flanders back the central position it had in the medieval Netherlands.
Old May 9, 2003, 01:26   #9
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 08:55
Absolutely brilliant.
The industrial revolution, the age of steam and WW1 all rolled into one.

I'm looking forward to forming the Austro-Hungarian empire. Then I can crush both the Belgians and the Netherlands.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 01:29   #10
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

sounds fun, too bad I will have to buy the game release +6 months due to their shoddy release reputation (but decent patch rep)
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 05:21   #11
pg
Prince

i am interested, but only if it has tougher ai than eu2.
Old May 9, 2003, 05:26   #12
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 00:55
I'll have to give this a shot. Unification of Germany and Italy in this period too! Yippee!

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 13:17   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:55
It kind of sounds like the 1820-1914 add on for EU2 that people have been asking for on the Paradox forums.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 18:13   #14
Nikolai
Deity

Out of what you can read at the official forums, it isn't so. It looks great!
Old May 11, 2003, 18:16   #15
August Borms
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac

Are you kidding? Now we Belgians, back then the most populated, industrialized and prosperous part of the Netherlands, have the opportunity to conquer Netherland and give Flanders back the central position it had in the medieval Netherlands.
Yeah, but then you'll probably need to build a navy to take over all their shitty colonies before you can annex them, which is something I hate
Old May 31, 2003, 09:27   #16
Colon™
Emperor

Awesome news!
Colon™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 09:35   #17
Colon™
Emperor

I'm really interested in the political simulation feature they mention. This could add a whole new dimension to the game.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old June 1, 2003, 19:20   #18
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

can someone post the screenshot here? I can't get it to load.
Sava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2003, 21:25   #19
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
can someone post the screenshot here? I can't get it to load.
Maybe it's because you have java applications switched off the in your browers settings? (or do you have pop-up killers?)

In any case, try viewing them here.
Old June 2, 2003, 07:55   #20
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I wonder if the game will acknowledge that Britain was already industrialised by 1835.
Old June 2, 2003, 09:13   #21
Nikolai
Deity

Of course it will. The game is supposed to be historical accurate you know. In he start that is.
Old June 2, 2003, 11:03   #22
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Colon

Maybe it's because you have java applications switched off the in your browers settings? (or do you have pop-up killers?)
I have neither. I don't know what it was. Anyways, here are the pics because I find it's annoying to click on a link to view a pic.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	vic_030507.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	46746  
Old June 2, 2003, 11:04   #23
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

This new game looks purty! I hope someone makes a HoI-style mod with modern units and techs.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	vic_030527.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	46747  
Old June 15, 2003, 16:00   #24
Nikolai
Deity

We got a new screenshot on wednesday, looks good:
Old June 15, 2003, 19:29   #25
Maniac

Quote:
We got a new screenshot on wednesday, looks good
Not really. Their Dutch AI must be really stupid to declare war on the invincible Belgians.
Old June 16, 2003, 06:44   #26
Nikolai
Deity

Hmmm...
Well, it's not yet come to beta mister... It's l,ots of oddities in the screenshot, such as 0 income/expense.
Old June 23, 2003, 11:14   #27
Cookie Monster
King

Looks great, I hope that it isn't as disappointing as HOI was.
Old June 24, 2003, 03:48   #28
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 07:55
Burn the heretic.
How dare he? HOI was disappointing?

BURN HIM!!!

Hi, Haupt. Dietrich
I'm really sorry that you changed your avatar, because of my comment.
Old June 24, 2003, 08:28   #29
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
Burn the heretic.
How dare he? HOI was disappointing?

BURN HIM!!!

Hi, Haupt. Dietrich
I'm really sorry that you changed your avatar, because of my comment.
No problem Serb! I changed my avatar to a character I'm playing in Romance of the Three Kingdom's VII not because of your comment. I just thought it was time for a change.

I must admit I haven't played HOI since 1.03 patch. Is the 1.04 patch really good? I couldn't stand the way the ai sent wave after wave of strategic bombers even though they knew I had fighters stationed in the province they were attacking. That was one of the reasons why I was disappointed with HOI.
Old June 24, 2003, 13:37   #30
Nikolai
Deity

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new pic we got the 19th...