Old May 12, 2003, 13:13   #31
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Someone like Googlie?
What would that monitor exactly do anyway?
Old May 12, 2003, 13:29   #32
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:00
What exactly does Trip do?
The monitor would monitor things, keep track of what's going on, organise stuff and write a "history" of events as the game went along. Tey would have an overview of all the factions, and could tell us all the secrets afterwards. They could keep an eye out for exploits as well.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 12, 2003, 15:09   #33
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 22:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i think trip is actually just writing a history or something, and he's only allowed in all teams because his was erradicated
Old May 12, 2003, 22:11   #34
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 02:00
I learn something from each game I play and still learning. I have made mistakes and look where I ended up.
Old May 13, 2003, 03:55   #35
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 12:00
Regarding Trip... TKG is correct. Trip's team (LUz Invicta) is the only team which ahs so far been wiped out, and in compensation he's been appointed the official game Historian. He's also been given an additional title (I forget what) due to his efforts in reconstructing the game after it crashed.
Old May 13, 2003, 10:41   #36
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 19:00
All well and good, but do we add a Historian job for somebody now or wait until somebody's team gets eradicated?

Personally I doubt that will happen with the submissive ally idea.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old May 13, 2003, 13:17   #37
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Couldn´t any faction write it´s own history down in a kind of history thread? And, where do we have newspapers for if not for recording events...?
Old May 13, 2003, 14:51   #38
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Yes, 3D will act as the CyCon History and information newpaper. All information within have been approved for publication.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 13, 2003, 15:28   #39
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:00
Order of play is:

Hive
UoP
Consciousness
Pirates
Drones

Voltaire and Drogue:

Can you e-mail me (anything) to:

linfrew@aol.com

so that I can send you your team passwords

Thanks
Old May 13, 2003, 15:33   #40
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Has been done. My email seems made for the purpose, akizeta@lineone.net

Old May 16, 2003, 18:15   #41
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Re: ACDG (2) Game Parameters
Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie

All Game Preferences checked except:

Tutorial Messages
Always Investigate Monoliths

(Note that these settings can be changed in-game, but there should be concensus before doing so, as they affect all players)
This is not the case

On opening the current turn (Hive 2103) there are several changes. I don't know if in between my playtests a rogue set got imported from another scenario I was trying or whether early turn players have tweaked these settings.

note that these settings are not unique to your faction - they are common to all factions

Settings currently are:

All Game Preferences checked except:

Tutorial Messages
Click on Unit always cancels orders
Pause after every battle
Stop for build orders out of date
Air Units return home when reach limit of fuel range

The contentious ones in PBEMs seem to be the air units and the monoliths. Some players want the automatic return of aircraft, so as not to lose one due to sloppy mapreading. Some players don't want the automatic stop and upgrade/healing of a unit when passing a Monolith.

Default is prolly to ensure that action is taken, so that aircraft must manually be returned to base and you must actively investigate the monolith rather than have it happen automatically

G
Old May 16, 2003, 19:15   #42
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I personally prefer the default for aircraft, ie manually be returned to base and land /sea units must actively investigate monoliths
Old May 16, 2003, 19:31   #43
Googlie
Emperor

I have asked Voltaire (in whose hands the current turn resides) to deselect the automatic investigation of monoliths.

(That'll square with your preferences, Hercules, in that an active decision must be made to investigate a monolith or to return an aircraft to a base)

G.
Old May 16, 2003, 20:09   #44
Hercules
Deity

Fine thank you on behalf of the Pirates
Old May 17, 2003, 13:56   #45
Googlie
Emperor

The restarted game is now active, with new passwords having been sent to the various turnplayers and the Hive, 2102 fresh turn hung on the gameturn thread for Voltaire to download and play (as i still don't have his e-mail addy and can't hang an attachment to a private message)

I also cleaned up the Preferences. Unchecked now are:

General preferences:
Tutorials
Pause at end of turn

Advanced preferences:
Click on unit always cancels orders
pause after battle

warnings: all warnings have been checked

Automation:
air units return to nearest base when at end of range
always investigate monoliths

audio/visual: all have been checked

map:
allow flattened terrain

Finally, I think the concensus is that defections will not be permitted. In other words, if you leave a faction, you leave the game

Tassadar5000's move from the Uni to the Hive is grandfathered

G.

Last edited by Googlie; May 17, 2003 at 14:07.
Old June 6, 2003, 18:47   #46
Googlie
Emperor

A question has been raised by the Pirates regarding tech costs (being higher than they have encountered with a similar set-up in SP games)

Here is my response:

Scenario created games are different re the techs.

For example, if you start the UoP with Info Nets, then Cent Ecology never appears as a free tech choice. But if you start with Cent Ecol, then Info Nets always appears as a freebie choice (and if you don't select it, then at least the game is tru and the Uni don't get their network nodes until the research Info Nets)

In one of the original OWO forums, Chris Pine, (one of the Firaxis programmers) explained it thus (but was dealing then with just smac - I have interpreted his comments in the context of smax):

Pirate tech costs are the same as the Angels. Both start with 2 techs, a level 1 and a level 2 . The CC starts with 2 level 1's, so would be joint third in the techrace (along with the Uni, who also always start with two level 1 techs), they are followed by the Hive (1 level 2) and then the Believers and the Drones, each with one level 1 tech and a 20% research penalty

Both the CC and the Uni have their 20% bonus (so run at 80% of the normal cost) so irrespective of the choices the Uni makes, the Pirates are always 1st equal in research to commence the game. (this holds true, BTW, with any combination of the 14 factions - the Pirates always start 1st or 1st equal in tech costs, as the Progs are dealt with differently)

What hapopens after techs start to be discovered is largely driven by the level of tech being discovered. Only the University has the option of researching a level 2 tech as its first tech, so the Pirates' lead in tech costs is maintained until the Uni has discovered at least 3 techs (2 start ones plus its third, if level 2) or 4 (if the third is a level 1, as 3 level 1's have the same value as one 2 and one 1). And by the time the Uni gets it's second researched tech the Pirates might have either discoverd their first, or popped a tech (but not in this game)

So it might actually be by the teen years before the Pirates drop to second place and see their comparative research costs lowered

Turn 2 tech costs are:

Pirates: ..................... 38
Angels ....................... 38
Drones ....................... 31 (20% penalty)
Believers .................... 31 (20% penalty)
University .................. 19 (20% bonus)
Consciousness ........... 19 (20% bonus)
Hive .......................... 15

I trust this clarifies the issue somewhat

G.

Last edited by Googlie; June 6, 2003 at 19:04.
Old July 1, 2003, 10:12   #47
Googlie
Emperor

Contacts, messages in bottles, newspapers (including e-news), probe actions et al

Way back when, there was a poll on PBEM game conditions, and no contact before in-game meeting was agreed upon.

This means commnlink discussions, PMs, e-mails, meeting in chat rooms, etc with a view to future exchanges of techs, pacts (formal or informal), alliances etc.

Now obviously, the identity of all the factions on Chiron is known - after all, you were all on the UNS Unity and were together at its break-up, so certain idealogical biases are to be expected. And many of these are being fully discussed in the respective Private Forums. But, please, don't PM or e-mail other faction leaders or members when in-game there has to date been no contact with them.

As to newspapers, etc. Certainly a faction can put out its position on many of these issues of the day, and rely on the winds of Chiron to disseminate these to other factions - but the key is dissemination - in other words, in the General Forum for all to read. Or for all to hack into if electronic media. So a faction, in their news releases, can openly talk of wanting to ally or pact with another, since all can read this - they can even boast about their techs and other accomplishments.

But private messages setting out possible future deals are taboo

Re; probe actions: generally accepted PBEM rules have the following stipulation:

- If a player performs a probe team action other than to infiltrate against another player with whom (s)he is in a truce, treaty or pact, they must inform the probed player what it was they did and what they stole/sabotaged. They must also choose the 'declare vendetta/cancel pact' option when they perform the action.

G.
Old July 1, 2003, 11:46   #48
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

no need to inform probed faction if they were already at vendetta, correct?
Old July 1, 2003, 12:30   #49
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 20:00
Correct.
Old July 10, 2003, 15:56   #50
Googlie
Emperor

2 further rules, observance of which is dependent on trust in each other and on honour

Transparent Commlink Logs

It is forbidden for any player, whether playing the turn or just browsing the .sav, to open a .sav file (current or past) with a text reader program (eg word, wordperfect, notepad, etc etc) as the in-game commlink exchanges are embedded in text in the .sav file and can be read by anyone.

The Tass Manoeuver

It is forbidded for any player, whether playing the turn or just browsing any gamesave, to select left hand menu, then Game, then Resign.

If hit accidentally, then immdeiately select the No! Get back in there and fight option.

Selecting the yes, time to slink away in shame option triggers the game end scores and map expansion from the start (thereby revealing the start locations and limits of expansion of all seven factions)

This Tass did inadvertently, which he immediately confessed to me and to his faction leader (without explaining to Voltaire what he'd actually done - and let me say too that Voltaire was very professional and honourable, commenting "Don't tempt me with knowledge if obtained illegally" - I paraphrase) and led to his "withdraw from the Hive" decision.

Note that in single player PBEMs, if done with the current turn, it ends the game (leading to a reload with the message that the game has been ended and restarted) However, if done with a prior turn, reveals the map etc to that time and has no effect on the current turn which has now passed that point (so no message - indeed the current turn can even be in the hands of the next player when you "retro-resign")

This is being posted to stop the flood of requests as to what Tass had done and what the Tass Manoeuver is, and also to warn others who have the faction password who might inadvertently do the same thing

G
Old July 10, 2003, 16:19   #51
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Counter-espionage tips I've begun to use after I discovered those cheats myself:

Quote:
Transparent Commlink Logs
The counter-measure against that is avoiding in-game communications as much as possible and using e-mail.

Quote:
(thereby revealing the start locations and limits of expansion of all seven factions)
It doesn't reveal sea base locations. So playing the Pirates is a good way of preventing fellow players in a moment of weakwilledness from discovering your locations.
Old July 28, 2003, 07:21   #52
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 11:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Googlie

Yes - I did reply in confirmation in one of the other threads (the map one, I believe)

Have got the basic map done, just tinkering with it, and waiting for the fifth faction to be decided before I let the AI loose.

Talking of which (but this is not another formal poll) ... do you want the AI to be:

- a pushover for whoever comes into contact with them
- an irritating opponent who is like a thorn in your side
- a nuisance that can cost you a base or two (or who can trade you a tech or two)
- strong faction(s) that will make it imperative that you conquer them or ally with them
- faction(s) with a real chance at winning (unlikely against human players, but possible depending on the AI factions and the tweaks they get)

I'd sense that #4 would give you most fun

Comments?

Googlie
So which kind of AI was finally choosen?

Kody
Old July 28, 2003, 15:14   #53
Drogue
staff

I guess we'll have to find out

Old July 29, 2003, 18:50   #54
Googlie
Emperor

The middle option (worth trading with, might cost a base or two if in war against trhem, but not superpowers)

G.
Old July 29, 2003, 20:33   #55
Hercules
Deity

Ah ha that cabin is linked to the outside world after all. Close it down enjoy the outdoors.
Old July 29, 2003, 21:07   #56
Googlie
Emperor

Naw - it hit 106 degrees today (and we don't have air conditioning) - spent about an hour in the lake until my skin was like prunes

At least I can cool off in my car - but that's very unenvironmentally friendly (or is it environmentally unfriendly?? - either way, it's cool) so any errands needing running, I'd volunteer)

G.
Old July 29, 2003, 21:34   #57
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Oh I think I've got a comic that you'll like to look at.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...82#post2198782

I think you'll like it

Kody
Old August 4, 2003, 12:32   #58
Googlie
Emperor

Hey - I have high-speed internet connection now .... in the boonies yet!! (Checked into a local Motel once my buddy's extended family members arrived with their hordes of kids)

G.
Old August 8, 2003, 19:37   #59
Kody
Emperor

Quote from http://www.civgaming.net/forums/show...=&postid=78953
Quote:
It is stated in the game that the Antigrav Struts ability is available for air units. However, the alphax.txt file hasn't got this enabled. Also, probe teams are seemingly supposed to have the Amphibious special ability. Again, this feature is disabled in the alphax.txt file. These "bugs" are not presented in the expanded help. (IMHO these just ought to be fixed (which I've done)). My expanded help files ONLY affect the in-game help menu.
Googlie,

So are we supposed to make these adjustments ourselves?

Or are we supposed to keep these things disabled?

I think you mentioned in the hive private forum that probes should be able to probe passing ships, and when I tested it the game mentioned that I needed to add Amphibious ability to the probe (which cannot be done in the workshop).
Old August 9, 2003, 06:55   #60
Maniac

Even if we would want to change it, I think (if my scenario creation memory from two years back still serves me right) it's now too late, as the alphax.txt is stored in the save file and thus cannot be edited once the game has started.