Old May 8, 2003, 12:44   #1
pg
Prince

Local Time: 20:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
deus ex help?
no, not game hints but rather technical help. i'm using the same pc i played deus ex on before but there is a problem - the gamma is insanely dark and i can't increase it. i've tried editing the ini/cfgs files to up the gamma, and even tried using the deus ex console but no luck(and yes it's set to max via the slider already). anyone know how to increase it enough so it's at least playable? perhaps some 3rd party modification or such or something i have forgotten?

YUCK!!! HELP!!!
Old May 8, 2003, 12:46   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Have you changed your graphic drivers since you last played?
Old May 8, 2003, 13:00   #3
pg
Prince

no. everything is exactly the same afaik(i played previously a few months ago). i did just try a different nvidia driver but it didn't do anything. i really can't figure out wtf is going on. it's extremely annoying. heh. the only thing i can think of is installing the multiplayer patch but that will take a while to download over 26.4k so i won't know for a while if it helps. the only reason i asked was because i thought i remembered there being some little trick, or easy way to change this.
Old May 8, 2003, 18:26   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

What graphics card you got? Have you tried playing in D3D mode? I remember i had the same problem with my TNT2 but recently upgraded my cpu/mb and it looks perfect now, obviously nothing to do with the cpu, just random event it seems.

With Nvidia you can change the gamma in the colour correction controls, have you tried that before you load the game?
Old May 8, 2003, 18:59   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:01
Maybe try different display settings in Deus Ex, such as using hardware or software mode. Whatever you aren't using currently.

I take it you aren't in a room that is supposed to look dark? Try using your flashlight and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT:
Apparently the original Unreal Engine that Deus Ex was built on was optimised for older 3DFX Voodoo cards. What would probably help you is an OpenGL or Direct3D patch which is available from Eidos.

http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/su...h.html?gmid=50

The single-player patch is 4.6Mb, and the Direct3D Beta is 80k. Either beats the multiplayer patch's 35Mb.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; May 8, 2003 at 19:09.
Old May 9, 2003, 05:48   #6
pg
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
What graphics card you got? Have you tried playing in D3D mode? I remember i had the same problem with my TNT2 but recently upgraded my cpu/mb and it looks perfect now, obviously nothing to do with the cpu, just random event it seems.

With Nvidia you can change the gamma in the colour correction controls, have you tried that before you load the game?
gf1 ddr, and i was using d3d. i'm going to try the nvidia settings at full throttle but i don't think it will make much a difference since they are already high. maybe it will though...

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Maybe try different display settings in Deus Ex, such as using hardware or software mode. Whatever you aren't using currently.

I take it you aren't in a room that is supposed to look dark? Try using your flashlight and see if that makes any difference.

EDIT:
Apparently the original Unreal Engine that Deus Ex was built on was optimised for older 3DFX Voodoo cards. What would probably help you is an OpenGL or Direct3D patch which is available from Eidos.

http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/su...h.html?gmid=50

The single-player patch is 4.6Mb, and the Direct3D Beta is 80k. Either beats the multiplayer patch's 35Mb.
i'm not interested in software mode because i know there has to be some way to fix it since it worked fine before. plus i can't stand software mode. the room isn't quite as dark in game as it looks in that picture, yet if i turn on my flash it seems almost as if i'm using a pen light(read: even with the flash light it's near unplayable). in other games(quake, unreal, doom, serious sam, etc) i can jack up the gamma so high the whole screen turns white. i already tried the single player patch, no difference. i'm going to do a clean install and try the multiplayer one now. if that doesn't work i'll some opengl stuff and see if that makes a difference. /me goes off to try and fix deus ex's gamma...
Old May 9, 2003, 07:02   #7
pg
Prince

hmm, well i've tried everything but opengl(going to try that next) and the only way to get a decent gamma level so i can see decently is to run in windowed mode then jack the gamma level in windows through the roof. it's odd deus ex seems to be running on a separate gamma setting than all my other 3d games and it doesn't want to be modified.

EDIT: opengl seems to work decent with good gamma so i can see, which figures since it was the last thing i tried.

Last edited by pg; May 9, 2003 at 08:11.
Old May 9, 2003, 14:02   #8
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:01
pg: how is the performance under opengl? I mean frame rates, things like that... I'm currently using d3d but I thought I could try opengl, because my frame rates are not that good with d3d. And I read it somewhere that, since the patch, things got much better for opengl performance-wise, especially for those with geforce2 cards (which is my case)...
Old May 9, 2003, 15:44   #9
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

OpenGL rawks even if it says its experimental it makes D3D look like a snail wading through treacle.

I thought GF was primarily OpenGL based card anyhow?
Old May 9, 2003, 16:44   #10
Alex
Emperor

I think I'll start the game again using OpenGL, then. I'd start another game anyway.
Old May 9, 2003, 23:42   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:01
Good to hear you eventually got it working fine.
And with a performance increase, to boot!
Old May 11, 2003, 11:23   #12
Alex
Emperor

Er... frankly, I don't think that the OpenGL performance it is so much better than D3D. In some intensive graphics parts (like Hong Kong, for instance), there is a noticeable drop in frame rates, like I never experienced before with D3D.

Granted, the graphics with OpenGL seem to be more vivid and sharp, but...

Interestingly enough, some "tweak guides" recommends D3D over OpenGL anyday, like in this excerpt (from the tweak guide in PlanetDeusEx):

Quote:
For users of non-3Dfx products, you'll want to utilize D3D mode and steer clear of OpenGL due to the incurred performance hit. (...) the OpenGL performance that Deus Ex delivers is not as well implemented, in terms of speed, as compared to the Glide and Direct3D rendering modes.