Old May 9, 2003, 18:23   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
EU Commissioner Says U.S. Out to Seize Iraq's Oil
too good to pass since we're now entering the twilight zone (awake time for amerianskis)

COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - A European Union (news - web sites) commissioner said on Friday he believed the United States aimed to take control of Iraq (news - web sites)'s oil and was 'on its way to becoming a member of OPEC (news - web sites).'

Latest news:
· Key Points of Draft Resolution on Iraq
AP - 3 minutes ago
· U.S. Seeks to Legitimize Iraq Occupation
AP - 6 minutes ago
· U.S. Lobbies UN Council to Lift Iraqi Sanctions
Reuters - 26 minutes ago
Special Coverage

Poul Nielson, EU Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid, was speaking after the United States and Britain introduced a U.N. draft resolution that would phase out an existing oil-for-food humanitarian program for Iraq.

'They (the United States) will appropriate the oil,' he told Danish public service DR radio news on return from a three-day trip to Iraq. 'It is very difficult to see how this would make sense in any other way.'

'I think that the United States is on its way to becoming a member of OPEC,' he added, referring to the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries.

Nielson, a Dane, said he did not expect U.S. troops who have toppled Iraq's Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) in a war launched in March would withdraw soon from the Arab state, whose oil reserves are estimated by industry experts to be the second largest in the world after Saudi Arabia's.

'It is very unclear what the Americans will end up doing. That they would pull out quickly does not look realistic,' said Nielson, whose visit to Iraq included talks with U.S. administrator Jay Garner.

The tough U.S.-British draft Security Council resolution would end 12 years of U.N. sanctions against Iraq and give them control of the country's oil revenues for at least a year.

The proposal would deposit Iraqi oil revenues in an 'Iraqi Assistance Fund' for humanitarian and reconstruction purposes, to be held by the Iraqi Central Bank, currently managed by Peter McPherson, a former deputy U.S. Treasury secretary.

Nielson said Washington, whose draft resolution in effect relegates the United Nations (news - web sites) and other international institutions to an advisory role with little power, planned to limit the U.N.'s role in Iraq.

'The unwillingness there is to give the United Nations a genuine real, legal well-defined role, also in the broader context of rebuilding Iraq after Saddam...also speaks a language that is quite clear,' Nielson said.

Denmark, a member of NATO (news - web sites), supported the U.S.-led war in Iraq. President Bush (news - web sites) held talks with Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen in Washington on Thursday.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...q_nielson_dc_1
Old May 9, 2003, 18:26   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 21:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What an idiot... yeah, we're gonna be joining OPEC
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 9, 2003, 18:32   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 20:07
Just another "one man's opinion"... and nothing else.

Should I post that I believe that Greece is only after Iraq oil... about as credible

Gee paiktis22, do you believe EVERYTHING you read on the net...

1/.000000000000000000000000001
Old May 9, 2003, 18:33   #4
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 01:07
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Old May 9, 2003, 18:33   #5
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:07
"'They (the United States) will appropriate the oil,'

The only problem with this statement is the word "will."
Old May 9, 2003, 18:34   #6
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Do you really have to rate his trolls so highly?
Old May 9, 2003, 18:38   #7
Bereta_Eder
Settler

No need to get so jealous.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:39   #8
DinoDoc
Deity

I can't help it. No one ever gives me that many points.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 9, 2003, 18:40   #9
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 22:07
Another extremely lame troll. What was said was made by an absolute idiot. How can such idiots like this EU Commissioner ever be allowed to serve in such high positions? I just dismiss this as baseless and one more of pakky cakes baseless trolls.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:42   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Another extremely lame troll. What was said was made by an absolute idiot. How can such idiots like this EU Commissioner ever be allowed to serve in such high positions? I just dismiss this as baseless and one more of pakky cakes baseless trolls.
Awww, poor fezzy is jealous of Paik for getting such a high rating........

It's OK fezzy, someday you'll match up to trolling greatness.

Someday
Old May 9, 2003, 18:43   #11
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I can't help it. No one ever gives me that many points.

10^10.

There you go.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:43   #12
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
How can such idiots like this EU Commissioner ever be allowed to serve in such high positions?
What do you care? It isn't like the person has any real power.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:44   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:07
Just another lobotomized Eurotwat politician.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:44   #14
Giancarlo
King

Good I hope this idiot doesn't have any power at all.

Tass, all that counts is I annoy people.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:46   #15
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Tass, all that counts is I annoy people.
Yes, you do annoy people, but so does a fly.

In other words: Fez is to a fly as Paiktis is to Mr. Miyagi.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:47   #16
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Just another lobotomized Eurotwat politician.
Believe it or not, but most of the world agrees with this "lobotomized Eurotwat politician".

Can't say the same for Bush OR Blair, can I?
Old May 9, 2003, 18:49   #17
Giancarlo
King

Tass, get a clue. You don't speak for the world. If you honestly believe that the US is out for the oil, you are more braindead than this guy.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:54   #18
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Ts,ts... that's where you're wrong. Commissioners are the closest to being ministers (and legislators and regulators) of the European Union.

http://europa.eu.int/comm/commissioners/index_en.htm
Old May 9, 2003, 18:55   #19
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Tass, get a clue. You don't speak for the world. If you honestly believe that the US is out for the oil, you are more braindead than this guy.
Sorry Fez, but the world backs me here....If you can't see that, your the one whos braindead Poor Fezzy......
Old May 9, 2003, 18:56   #20
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Sorry Fez, but the world backs me here....If you can't see that, your the one whos braindead Poor Fezzy......
You are so full of crap. You actually think people want to listen to your rhetoric for even a day? You are the one who is braindead, not me.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:57   #21
Sandman
King

Local Time: 02:07
It probably was for oil. It certainly wasn't about WMD.
Old May 9, 2003, 18:59   #22
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
It probably was for oil. It certainly wasn't about WMD.
Uh huh. Right... if it was for the oil, why didn't the US take Kuwaits oil in 1991? It is never about the oil. In this case it was about the WMD.
Old May 9, 2003, 19:02   #23
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

You are so full of crap. You actually think people want to listen to your rhetoric for even a day?
There is a fallacy in that statement (though I shouldne be surprised): I'm not spewing out rhetoric for either party.

I'm telling the truth, and the truth is like a sword.....Some realize its full power and masterfully use it to chop their opponents down to size....

But because you do not use the truth, I continue to slash through you and your "blade" dulls more and more.

Oh well. Lifes tough, isn't it Fezzy?
Old May 9, 2003, 19:02   #24
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Uh huh. Right... if it was for the oil, why didn't the US take Kuwaits oil in 1991? It is never about the oil. In this case it was about the WMD.
The US wants to be able to control the oil for an entire year......

But its not about oil. Seriously.

*Chop*
Old May 9, 2003, 19:05   #25
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

There is a fallacy in that statement (though I shouldne be surprised): I'm not spewing out rhetoric for either party.

I'm telling the truth, and the truth is like a sword.....Some realize its full power and masterfully use it to chop their opponents down to size....

But because you do not use the truth, I continue to slash through you and your "blade" dulls more and more.

Oh well. Lifes tough, isn't it Fezzy?
You know... once I see your official call sign and listen to your beliefs... you got less credibility than the former Iraqi Information Minister.

When you start talking truth... ehhh... nevermind.. you will never talk truth. You are a liar as it is.
Old May 9, 2003, 19:13   #26
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

You know... once I see your official call sign and listen to your beliefs... you got less credibility than the former Iraqi Information Minister.

When you start talking truth... ehhh... nevermind.. you will never talk truth. You are a liar as it is.
Ad Hominems
Old May 9, 2003, 19:14   #27
Giancarlo
King

Well Tassy, when you claim you are the one who only speaks the truth, there is nothing ad hominem about my post. Fact is, you don't speak the truth and you never have. You have been lying here long enough.
Old May 9, 2003, 19:15   #28
raghar
Chieftain

Quote:
Are you sure? Was Humphrey Appleby from "yes minister" with no real power? You might like to rewiev the EU political system.
Old May 9, 2003, 19:25   #29
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

The war is all about Wolfowitz and the neocons.

Now, certainly, all our policies there have something to do with oil, as do the policies of all other foreign countries in the region...

...but the idea that the war was started for oil is so laughable that it strains the very bounds of logical reality.
Old May 9, 2003, 19:34   #30
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 17:07
Ok, Tassy and Fezzy, play nice, or mommy will put you back in your cribs.

In other words, chill.