Old May 9, 2003, 22:05   #31
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 03:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Poul Nielson, the EU comissioner, is a moron. That's why our former centre-left government sent him to Brussels, to avoid having him to deal with him domestically.

He's immediately taken some heavy criticism here in Denmark for his baseless and idiotic statements on Iraq, including from his own party the Social Democrats.
Old May 9, 2003, 22:07   #32
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Yeah right as if the opinion of the one well known dane pro-american of Apolyton makes any difference
Old May 9, 2003, 23:21   #33
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 20:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by raghar
Are you sure? Was Humphrey Appleby from "yes minister" with no real power? You might like to rewiev the EU political system.
Do you particularly care what the person in charge of USAID or the Secretary of Education thinks of France?
Old May 9, 2003, 23:39   #34
Joseph
King

Local Time: 18:07
Just think, if we can get the new Iraqi Government to sell only to the UK, USA, Spain and the other countries that support us at $5.00 a barrel.
Old May 9, 2003, 23:59   #35
LoneWolf
Settler

Local Time: 19:07
Oh no, a Danish /EU minister is mad at us!!! Run for your lives!!!
Old May 10, 2003, 00:32   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 21:07
I'm still waiting for when we formally apply to join OPEC .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 10, 2003, 00:33   #37
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Believe it or not, but most of the world agrees with this "lobotomized Eurotwat politician".
Sure says a lot of 'most of the world', doesn't it?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old May 10, 2003, 02:29   #38
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 19:07
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Ok, Tassy and Fezzy, play nice, or mommy will put you back in your cribs.
Uh, MtG? Mommy? You're the moderator, you get to put them to bed, y'know. You're the "daddy," not the mommy. Right?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old May 10, 2003, 09:46   #39
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

" 'They (the United States) will appropriate the oil,'
'I think that the United States is on its way to becoming a member of OPEC.' "

Well, we'll see how his predictions measure up. I find his predictions most interesting in light of this:

" 'It is very difficult to see how this would make sense in any other way.' "

If the man is wrong, Euros, and the US does not appropriate the oil or become a member of OPEC, does this lack of vision worry you? Would it not concern you that the leader of the EU can only ascribe venal and rapacious motives to people he disagrees with?

I know this is all moot, as the guy is a temporary leader who is going to be out in what, 1 year or so?, but still... this lack of vision and willingness to at least try to understand the other sides opinion is shockingly common among his constituents.

And that worries us.

Last edited by JohnT; May 10, 2003 at 09:52.
Old May 10, 2003, 10:13   #40
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

This EU guy is a moron. Of course the US won't simply "seize" the oil. They are just going to profit from the reconstruction effort which will be paid for by the Iraqi oil on the global market.

Iraqi people get money for oil on global market ---> give money to US corporations for rebuilding effort ---> Halliburton and others close to admin make big money

It's stupid, misinformed pudwhacks like this EU guy that discredit everybody else who isn't Pro-Bush.
Old May 10, 2003, 10:18   #41
Winston
Emperor

Good points, John, but this nutjob isn't leader of anything, he's a crummy Commissioner for Humanitarian issues in the EU.

Thank God.

And yes, he'll be out in one year's time, which is probably also part of the reason he thought he could make his outrageous claims on this. He doesn't have to worry about being re-elected or re-appointed to ANYTHING.

Old May 10, 2003, 10:19   #42
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

See guys, what did I tell you. There are dumbasses on both sides of this.
Old May 10, 2003, 10:27   #43
Winston
Emperor

He also astonished the entire EU in the aftermath of 9/11 by saying that the US should blame themselves for the attacks. In his view, the "boastful norm-imperialism" of the US was the reason they were targeted by terrorists.

Oh yes, he's a genius all right.
Old May 10, 2003, 10:31   #44
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Well, the US should look at it's policies in regards to causes of terrorism. When push comes to shove, OBL, Al-Qaeda, and the hijackers are responsible for their actions. But it's not to say that they didn't have legitimate reasons to be pissed off. Just so I'm not misquoted, IMO, terrorism, offensive military action, and the target of civilians are not legitimate forms of warfare. They are evil, and I would volunteer to cut their balls off if given the chance.
Old May 10, 2003, 10:36   #45
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 22:07
Well Sava, I think the US is trying to fix the root of the problem of what caused the September 11th attacks. The conflict between Israel and Palestine. I really hope they are successful at ending the bloodshed. You see I am not entirely pro-Israel, I am angered to see that Israel is building settlements... I just hope they resolve the issues.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 10, 2003, 10:40   #46
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

OBL also is pissed off at the US presence in Saudi Arabia. I suspect the new removal of US forces is connected to relieving terrorism, but is disguised as to not appear as if the US is giving in to terrorists. But I do agree with you.... this once.
Old May 10, 2003, 17:16   #47
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
OBL also is pissed off at the US presence in Saudi Arabia. I suspect the new removal of US forces is connected to relieving terrorism, but is disguised as to not appear as if the US is giving in to terrorists.
That's an incredibly interesting theory. I think it may make a good deal of sense... and if the Adminstration had that in mind when they dispatched Saddam, they could be smarter than what you give them credit for .
Old May 10, 2003, 17:22   #48
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:07
Quote:
You see I am not entirely pro-Israel, I am angered to see that Israel is building settlements...
That's why we keep doing it.
Old May 10, 2003, 17:22   #49
Giancarlo
King

News just in:

EU Commissioner now accuses Apolyton of trying to steal Iraqs Oil
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old May 10, 2003, 17:26   #50
Imran Siddiqui
staff

*tries not to look too suspicious*

Old May 10, 2003, 17:44   #51
Giancarlo
King

I had nothing to do with it! *whispers* The suitcases I am carrying with the $20 billion dollars for the contract is unrelated.
Old May 10, 2003, 17:55   #52
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'd never do such a thing !
The billion dollars I have here are merely related with me smuggling EU passports to Sadd having shares in Halliburton, I swear !
Old May 10, 2003, 18:00   #53
Giancarlo
King

Okay MtG, give it up! I know you have the oil contract!