Old May 9, 2003, 23:59   #1
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 19:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How drafting has saved me
On monarch level, small map, me as China. Doing ok, or at least I was doing ok. Early war nearly destroyed India. Its like 1976 and now everyone is fairly powerful, even me There are Aztecs, American, Persia and Japan. All nearly equal and scary. I share a continent with Aztecs and America. Persia and Japan is on their own continents across the seas. I am ruling under democracy.

At one point, I started falling behind in tech. Now I am getting back up there but its been hard. I have been gracious friends with America most of the game. Luxuries have been hard to come by and only can be traded overseas with Japan. A few short wars with Japan messed me up a little. I forgot at one point where all of my trade was coming from. Big mistake but its corrected now.

Ran into an economic problem and income started to become too slow. I was putting most of my efforts into science to try and get back with techs. Trust me, trade with the AIs were downright rip offs! So I signed a good MPP with America to cover my back. Then I disbanded 80% of my useless and outdated military. Economy was improved very much from this.

Now a few turns later, America declares war on Aztecs! Now my so called MPP had become active and forced me to declare war against Aztecs! Help me, my military was too weak. I started drafting. Left and right drafting in all cities for like 3-4 turns straight. I was getting riflemen out of the drafts.

Aztecs came after me and was beaten back, can't tell you how many times my drafties saved me. It had bought me enough time to finally research infantry and build some artillery pieces and garrison my cities near the front. If it was not for drafting, I would have lost around 4 cities at least. It really saved me this time!
Old May 10, 2003, 00:07   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 20:09
um. drafting for 4 turns straight? on monarch? ... unhappiness?
Old May 10, 2003, 00:29   #3
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 19:09
Certainly, I did experience some unhappiness but I was able to pull it off. I had around 4 luxuries I was getting from Japan and I had to crank up luxuries to 20% and even 30%. It was either that or lose alot of very valuable cities. Good thing this war never lasted too long though. On democracy, things would have started to get ugly fairly quick.