Old March 29, 2001, 15:15   #1
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Man East Street... I guess I don't even need to post anymore, since people know what I'm going to say.

I'll just ditto what has always been said. In Single Play mode, you are playing for your own enjoyment... do whatever you enjoy.
If you want to post competitive records, that is indeed a different story

If you want to prepare for the REAL CHALLANGE of playing other players, cheating only teaches you bad habits that will come back to haunt you in MP games against smart opponents.

To truely test your skill, you will eventually find that cheating sucks.
Anybody can win if they cheat... But again, how you play is nobodies business but your own. Have fun and keep on Civin'... no matter how you play!
Old March 29, 2001, 15:30   #2
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 18:56

i do save a lot, since my playing time is often interrupted, and this does give me the benefit of a glance at the powergraph, but i avoid the save and reload thing for huts or combat outcomes. seems to me that misses the point of hut popping and combat, which is that they are supposed to be risky. OTOH i will save and reload if i am trying something new which i dont really understand, or if i had a really interesting start position and i want to try it again with a different stategy ( what would have happened if i had gotten that particular set of starting techs, but had NOT gone to war with the Mongols in 2500 BC?) Of course every one (playing SP and not reporting a high score or whatever) can play any way they want but some ways of playing will cuase you to miss certain aspecs of the game. ( i am guilty here too - i tend to enjoy real world maps, but this tends to reduce some of the exploration aspects of the game, and certainly gives me an unfair advantage over the AI, who doesnt start out with my lifetime of knowledge of real world geography)

lord of the mark
Old March 29, 2001, 16:23   #3
Chris1111
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:56
What you do when playing SP is really your own business. If that is what you enjoy fine . Personally I sort of consider it evening the playing field :P. The amount of "luck" the AI has in turning up goody huts and holding off barbarian hordes with a single militia man is absurd. Heck how does the AI know that my city way out in the boonies is undefended in that as soon as its built all their units are automatically moving toward the city that they cant see!

The only thing I really consider cheating is blatantly using the menu to make units/gold or get techs or taking away techs/units from the AI. Thats stuff I'd never do.
Old March 29, 2001, 18:50   #4
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

Lord, I don't play real world maps, but I know there is the reveal map feature on the cheat menu as I've used it a couple of times when giving up or winning to see what else was going on. Can you not, right at the start, give all the other civs a full world map to compensate them for your education? Would they take advantage of your generosity?
Old March 30, 2001, 01:07   #5
Dhalsim
Settler

Dangerous territory...........>>>>
May I ask, what level of cheating do you allow yourself, if any at all ?

Not using the cheat menu.

ie Saving a game before a specific event.

In my current game, I'm 2nd in tech but was 15 or so behind the chinese.
So, I got a boat load of spies and a settler off to China, set up a city near a small town, and then, merrily stole tech's with my spies. Regular tactic, eh?
Before each attempted theft I saved. If the spy stole a tech and returned to my nearby city, great. If she stole and was captured, OK. But, here's the dodgy bit, if she was captured before stealing, I reloaded the game and tried again.

Have I bent the rules, or wrecked the whole game ?
I'm interested in your opinions.

------------------
Yoga Flame
Old March 30, 2001, 01:51   #6
East Street Trader
Prince

Ming's line on this is a good one. You paid for the game, you want to get fun out of it. How you go about that is your business and no-one else's. OK we use the word "cheat" but we put it in inverted commas and it is not really meant pejoratively.

Also if you read the manual the designers expressly point out that you can do this and encourage players to do so.

What I think you'll find though (because it seems to happen to us all after a bit) is that a time will come when you will stop re-loading after a bad outcome. That is for two reasons. First, civ is a long game. For it to be fun it has to stay pacey. It is one of the weaknesses of the basic design that turns progressively take longer and longer. Re-loading takes bags of time and slows the game a lot.

Secondly, once you get to a certain level of skill it starts to spoil your enjoyment of what you achieve if you have re-loaded bad outcomes.

This all runs side by side with another phenomenon. Early on, virtually everyone stops playing if they get badly behind. It is seductive to start a new game free of the drag of remembering all those set-backs and with hope of an easy victory renewed. Thing about this one is it slows down your development because you don't get the chance to face new challenges.

Similarly with only accepting good starts.

I remember with pleasure the first time I accepted a polar location for my capital. And that was the game I learned the power of the Lighthouse (which I'd rarely built before, never mind as WoW of choice). Afterwards I played for a couple of months ONLY ever building the Lighthouse and Magellans (turns out to be a powerful strategy by the way).

So what happens in the end, is that you abandon all this. The temptation remains, though, and what I do is switch of the automatic save feature, which helps with that quite a bit. (Just exactly at this minute I might switch it back on if I can't find a way to stop forgeting when I delay going into revolt until the right year comes along. It's sooo bloody irritating).

Anyway, you'll find your own answers.

I can sort of tell from your posts that what you wouldn't do is to employ re-loads or other obvious "cheats" and then post record scores or comparative games without acknowledging the methods used. That is not so much "cheating" as deceiving the other people posting scores or comparison games. That would certainly be pretty remote from the ethos of Strategy/General and indeed, from what I have seen, of Apolyton boards generally.

Oh, and welcome by the way. Hope you have as much fun here as I do.
Old March 30, 2001, 01:54   #7
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

You are playing SP - the only rules are your own - I wouldn't do that - I 'try' and play dead straight, but have been known to do a 'free' investigate city using a diplo on a save - not legit - I feel bad, but it's SP -- now MP or succession games or any other form of competition - this is cheating and is absolutely not permitted - IMHO of course

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old March 30, 2001, 06:47   #8
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 23:56
I always try to resist the temptation to cheat. I find the game more fun when the outcome of random events remain uncertain. But, as everybody else has said, just do whatever gives you the most enjoyment out of the game.

quote:

Originally posted by East Street Trader on 03-29-2001 12:51 PM
This all runs side by side with another phenomenon. Early on, virtually everyone stops playing if they get badly behind.

I did that for a long time also. Until I realized that this is really just another form of 'cheating'. Ever since then, most of my best games have been those where I had to desperately struggle to overcome an 'impossible' position.
Old March 30, 2001, 07:18   #9
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 23:56
Cheating : Yes, I have some time "cheating" by using "Save Game" just before certain action. Because in Civ II is not rare to see a tank unit destroy by a musketer... So absurde...
When I think it's logical that I win an action, and I know that in game I could lose, I save the game. And restart the game if I lose.

Because IA tend to have more luck when difficulty increase (she's isnt more smart).

I've "cheat" again, with the cheat menu, to help IA few time...

I used some trick too some time, like using a spy to allow military unit to move throught square controlled by foreign units. But rarely.

I like to play logicaly.

Zobo
Old March 30, 2001, 11:49   #10
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 18:56
quote:

Originally posted by johnmcd on 03-29-2001 05:50 PM
Lord, I don't play real world maps, but I know there is the reveal map feature on the cheat menu as I've used it a couple of times when giving up or winning to see what else was going on. Can you not, right at the start, give all the other civs a full world map to compensate them for your education? Would they take advantage of your generosity?

Thats an idea. Of course my knowledge of geography doesnt give me full kwonledge of a civ2 world map (unles ive just played it recently )IIRC reveal map will show huts, resources, as well as detailed terrain. I dont know huts (obviously - although i am aware there is a pattern) resource specials, or teh detailed way civ2 handles real world terrain (abstracted from actual physical geography) so doing reveal maps would be different from sharing with the AI's my actual state of geopgraphic knowledge (and of course there are some areas of the world - like Siberia and Central Asia where my knwoledge is weaker)

I'll think about what you have said, but my inclination is not to do it, (or perhaps just to share my unrevealed map - whic should help the AI's a bit) but to shift to random maps as I get better.

LOTM