Old May 10, 2003, 14:10   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have a question
Hello everyone. I just reinstalled my Call to Power2 game after not playing for about a year. I missed playing this game even though I never completed a game yet.

What I want to know is from Call to Power2 fans is should I just stick to CtP2 or get Civ3 Play the World?

I tried asking in the Civ3 forum and got some answers but wanted to know about your opnions.

The reason I am asking is I just want to try something different.

I wasn't to happy with Civ3 when I bought it when it came out so I went back to CtP2. I stopped playing CtP2 since I didn't have much time to play such a long game, but I have time again.

Should I stick with CtP2 or should I give PtW a chance? I will be back playing CtP2 later but played alot of it last year when I could, and just want something different. Is it really worth spending money on it? The spying game is was not fun for me in Civ3 and thats why I went back to CtP2. Is this fixed in PtW?

Like I said I just wanted to know what you guys think, because if I don't get good replies I will just stick to CtP2.

Davor
Old May 10, 2003, 17:06   #2
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Depends what you want in the game. The crux of it is preferences, settlers or PW, MP options, etc.

Also, take a look at some of these threads (direct Civ3 vs CtP2 debates) that might help:
here, here, here, here,here, here, here, here, here, and here.

And the disadvantages of both:
why I quit Civ3
why I quit CtP2

I hope this reply was poor enough to persuade you to stay
Old May 10, 2003, 20:08   #3
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 03:11
As far as I know you won't appreciate PtW if you have not liked Civ3 because this is exactly the same game (3 or 4 new techs, a couple of new advances and wonders does not change a game to the point it can be considered a new experience)...

I have given Civ3 a try only to be disappointed by what I am now considering as the worst incarnation of Sid Meier's Civilization games (Alpha Centaury included).

Modded CtP2 is, IMO, the best TBS Game available. You should try the Apolyton Pack which is correcting most of the bugs of the original game and is adding a new dimension to the game as it becomes tougher and more interesting. Once you will be familiar with the Apolyton Pack, try Martin's GoodMod for the Apolyton Pack which uses an improved AI and improves some other concepts of the original game like Trade.

You already know the difference between CtP2 and Civ3 as you have played both games, the Public Work versus Workers issue is of course fundamental, but CtP2 is a very moddable game and I am sure you will quickly find the way (simply by using the file from the modders or learning how to mod the game) to transform your CtP2 into the best TBS Game in the world because you will have customized it to suit your needs and desires.
Old May 10, 2003, 20:36   #4
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
and you can play multiplayer without as much shocking lag as PTW.
Old May 10, 2003, 21:51   #5
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well I just got PtW to try it out.

So far I am disapointed and I didn't even install it yet. It says new units but they are Civ specific units, only 2 new units.

Well I will give it a chance and see what happens, if I don't like it, I will sell it to my friend.

I just installed CtP2 with the Apolyton patch ready to play if all dosn't go well.

Davor.

PS i was looking for a very good earth map and can't fine one. I tried one of the maps but don't like it. Anyone can give me a link for them? I tried the file section and it seems to be missing one of the best earth maps ever, forgot what it was called.