Old May 10, 2003, 14:52   #1
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
"Blood, Sweat and Tears" 1940-1945
FiGu and I was talking over ICQ about the possible creation of a global WW2 scenario from the Brittish point of view.
The idea is that the scenario would play rather similar to Red Front, begining on the turn when France falls. The only playable civ would be Brittain, all other civs would be AI/events driven.
The map would be a gigamap covering almost all of the world. That is we where discussing cutting off the part where America is and making the map a flat one. Possibly some american and canadian cities could exist on a small strip of land in the west a la the UK in RF (the Uboat war would be given to the Brittish to handle).
Pearl Harbour would be outside the area covered by the Map and when the city is bombed America joins the war american units will be given to the Brittish to control from time to time, etc.

A bat file would be used for different periods of the war just like in Red Front and so on.

Suggested civs so far are as follows:
Great Brittain
France
Russia
Germany
Italy
Japan
Neutrals
(China will be barbarian)

The scenario will begin with the Brittish player trying to save his troops at Dunqirk and follow up with the battle of brittain, etc, etc.

Does this sound like a good idea?
The scenario would be a huge undertaking, and thus we are apart from checking on interest asking if people wants to join in on the creation and do this as a joint "sleague" project

Last edited by Henrik; May 10, 2003 at 15:04.
Old May 10, 2003, 15:04   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Oh and I forgot to mention that this scenario would be very suitable for Demo Games a la the one we're currently doing for Red Front. With loads of different fronts available, etc...
Old May 10, 2003, 15:22   #3
FiGu
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 03:11
Ok, firstly we have to plan a list of what units the british army is going to use.

Do you have any suggestion what the british army used during 1940 Summer like tanks/airplanes.

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!
Current Medals: Valiant Labour Medal and Order of Glory and IRC medal
Old May 10, 2003, 15:23   #4
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You seem to have forgotten the United States...
Old May 10, 2003, 15:29   #5
Henrik
Emperor

Nope, but the scenarios main aim will be the brittish theatres. Joint operations will have American units under brittish controll simply becouse having them as separate civs would make it a lot harder (and not fit the RF template).

If you like, consider the Brittish civ an allied one (it might even be named that it's up to whoever wants to join the project ).

By no means did we mean to ignore or belittle the american war effort, it was definatly crucial, without it neither D day or the Pacific would've ended the way it did.
However the scenario will be played mainly as Brittish as we thought it'd be the most fun (and allow for more action early on).
Also Brittain is more suitable for an RF demo game kind of scenario, as she has more fronts than america allready from the start (and starts out being overrun by the Germans and the Japanese).

Last edited by Henrik; May 10, 2003 at 15:36.
Old May 10, 2003, 15:47   #6
Leonidas
King

Local Time: 01:11
Great idea for a scenario. A worthwhile slant on WW2.
Old May 10, 2003, 17:14   #7
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 20:11
yeah, I'd definitely like to see this one
Old May 10, 2003, 17:38   #8
EmuGod
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Good idea, IMHO.
Old May 10, 2003, 20:30   #9
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

sounds great!
Old May 11, 2003, 01:30   #10
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

When do we start the Demo game?

I want to be Churchill, I love smoking cigars.!
Good idea guys and good luck!
Old May 11, 2003, 04:28   #11
Henrik
Emperor

Glad you like it
The whole thing kind of rests on the foundation of lots of people helping out though I and FiGu can't do it all on our own (hence the notion about a sleague project above).

So is anyone willing to?
Old May 11, 2003, 04:34   #12
FiGu
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Ok, the first units are done!

Some Colonial troops!

EDIT: canadian shield updated.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	british_colonial_troops.gif
Views:	198
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	44722  

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!

Last edited by FiGu; May 11, 2003 at 04:53.
Old May 11, 2003, 04:45   #13
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Umm... two things:
First, it's British
Then, the Canadian flag looked different back then. The current flag was introduced in 1962 IIRC. Back then it was red with a Union Jack in the corner and the coat of arms in the right field (just like the cross of the south with the Australian or NZ flags).

I wish you best of luck with this project!
Old May 11, 2003, 06:59   #14
Helmut von
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefan Härtel
Umm... two things:
First, it's British
Then, the Canadian flag looked different back then. The current flag was introduced in 1962 IIRC. Back then it was red with a Union Jack in the corner and the coat of arms in the right field (just like the cross of the south with the Australian or NZ flags).
Do you mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	canada.bmp
Views:	15
Size:	894 Bytes
ID:	44732  
Old May 11, 2003, 10:27   #15
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

the shield looks good

Let me direct you to Australian units made by Gukguk that I have on my HDD. IMO they are pretty good and can give you a good base for your multi-units
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	australians.gif
Views:	173
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	44747  
Old May 11, 2003, 10:41   #16
jim panse
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
Glad you like it
The whole thing kind of rests on the foundation of lots of people helping out though I and FiGu can't do it all on our own (hence the notion about a sleague project above).

So is anyone willing to?
I was asked by FiGu via ICQ earlier this day. I would gladly help. If you need gfx, please feel free to tell me.
Old May 11, 2003, 10:50   #17
FiGu
Prince

Ok, here's the new one
Attached Images:

Old May 11, 2003, 11:01   #18
Leonidas
King

In the sticky WWII units thread above, you should be able to find all the graphics you will need for this scenario.

Also, have a look at the Market Garden scenario - there are lots of British units in that one.
Old May 11, 2003, 11:06   #19
Leonidas
King

You might be able to use the first 5 units that I have slightly modified from the originals:

Old May 11, 2003, 11:21   #20
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Yes Ill help. You know me Henrik I can do mindless stuff on the map, write the players notes or edit them, and of course playtest.

Let me know.

Is this Europe and North Africa Only? Or are you going to try the Pacific as well?

IMHO I think the Europe only is the way to go.

After the early war except maybe for Indochina the Britys didn't do much in the Pacific.

And if you went with the whole world I dont think you would get the scale you have with RF. It might be too big.

We should think about stackable hexes or not.

Might have to talk to John about that, he had a hard time getting the Independants to move and attack with stackable hexes in Colonies IV. So that might not work.
Old May 11, 2003, 13:10   #21
FiGu
Prince

Henrik and I and conmcb25 have thinked about if we should use europe and north africa instead of the whole world.

the advantage for europe and north africa would be more units slots free for the brits and germans.

And with the world would be more fronts.
so that we would have more front commander etc.

What do you think people? europe and north africa or the whole world?

Old May 11, 2003, 13:19   #22
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

The other advantage would be if Europe/ N. Africa only you could essentially do a "mirror" of Red Front.

Once that was working well and the bugs worked out we could try the whole world then.
Old May 11, 2003, 17:20   #23
EmuGod
Prince

Will you make an Italian civ in North Africa?
Old May 11, 2003, 17:30   #24
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

It was hard enough in Red Front making one Civ do what it's supposed to...how will you make six?
Old May 11, 2003, 18:38   #25
Leonidas
King

Good idea to limit it to Europe and North Africa.

This way you can gear everything to giving the Commonwealth a good thrashing
Old May 12, 2003, 07:01   #26
Helmut von
Settler

Yeah, but I think there's way too many WW2 scenarios in just Europe and North Afrika. I think it'd be more entertaining to have an entire world scenario. Besides, it is the World War. Heh. But if you do use a world map, use a big one (I.E. gigaworld map or something similar) The only complaint with total world games is that the worlds are too small and it's annoying. There are so many major towns that can't be placed.

Last edited by Helmut von; May 12, 2003 at 15:46.
Old May 12, 2003, 18:16   #27
EmuGod
Prince

Don't forget to have Canadian infantry units. The Canadians were very important in D-Day, the Invasion of Italy, the defence of Hong Kong and at the assault on Dieppe.
Old May 12, 2003, 18:40   #28
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by EmuGod
Don't forget to have Canadian infantry units. The Canadians were very important in D-Day, the Invasion of Italy, the defence of Hong Kong and at the assault on Dieppe.
Actually EMUGOD we were thinking about only having EFFECTIVE units so Im not sure we can do this.....

No seriously when we talked on sunday that came up as well as the Aussies, Indians, Kiwi's etc.

They might even have to come in from a UK Base like in RF!
Old May 12, 2003, 21:00   #29
EmuGod
Prince

The RCN and RCAF contributed a lot to thwarting Operation Sea Lion. I believe I read that the RCAF lost 16 out of 25 of its first aircraft fighters in its first dogfight with the Luftwaffe. I saw a movie about a place in Ontario where the British planes were mass produced, later on followed by American aircraft. Maybe you could include the Jewish Brigade from Mandate Palestine. My grandfather served in it.
Old May 13, 2003, 01:59   #30
Rhodzz
Settler

Well the "rats of Tobruk" were aussies who held Tobruk against all odds for months, only a few hundred of them versus Rommel's Afrika Corps...and the aussies held out right up until they were relieved by British reinforcements