Old May 10, 2003, 18:05   #1
Alvaro
Settler

Local Time: 01:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Help me, I've started smoking!
For my entire life I've been talking people out of smoking, my parents, my friends...

I've had a rough month which has luckily ended without any serious results aside from one: I happened to start smoking 3 weeks ago and I don't quite feel like quitting.

Kick some sense into me with awful facts from personal experience or what not...
Old May 10, 2003, 18:07   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So STOP!!!
Just think: increased chance of dying from, well, everything. Plus you will smell bad and have yellow teeth.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 10, 2003, 18:08   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:11
Perhaps social pressure is a good method? Stop smoking or no one on Poly will ever talk to you again!!!
Old May 10, 2003, 18:09   #4
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

I enjoy smoking. It feels good. Plus its proven to keep you 10 pounds thinner. Cuz if you dont have a cig in your mouth, guess what? Your eating something!
Old May 10, 2003, 18:13   #5
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Of course if your not like me. I wouldnt recommend smoking. I would say just friggin quit cold turkey while you arent hooked!

Ive quit on several occassions. But I just enjoy it too much. its unique...its me. Ive smoked since I was 13.
Old May 10, 2003, 18:14   #6
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 18:11
Re: Help me, I've started smoking!
Quote:
Originally posted by Alvaro

Kick some sense into me with awful facts from personal experience or what not...
Go to any old folks home and talk to someone who's hooked up to a respirator. Chances are they'll have been a smoker for most of their life. Better yet, watch someone die because of lung failure. It's not a pretty sight. I know, I watched my father die that way.

Of course I'm one to talk, I started smoking again six months later, after the shock factor wore off.
Old May 10, 2003, 18:19   #7
Alvaro
Settler

willem: that's pretty terrbile, why exactly did you start again though?
Old May 10, 2003, 18:34   #8
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvaro
willem: that's pretty terrbile, why exactly did you start again though?
I was going through a stressful and insecure time, and I made the mistake of allowing people to smoke in my home. After awhile, the temptation got the better of me. I discovered that the occasional cigarette was a great tranquilizer. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep it at just being a part-time smoker, before long I was right back to where I started from.

I'm going to be quitting again soon though, I don't want to be smoker when I reach the west coast.
Old May 10, 2003, 19:02   #9
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 20:11
Take it from a hard core smoker... QUIT NOW WHILE IT'S EASIER...

Just do it... it's a crappy habit. It costs tons of money, you smell, and not only do you die, but it's a slow and painful death...

The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit... so stop now.
Old May 10, 2003, 19:08   #10
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quit, now that you're not yet addicted.
Old May 10, 2003, 19:17   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Re: So STOP!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Just think: increased chance of dying from, well, everything. Plus you will smell bad and have yellow teeth.
Not to meantion all the money your pissing away while your getting those deieses, yellow teeth, and bad breath.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 10, 2003, 19:18   #12
Bereta_Eder
Settler

did anyone mention there're good chances you'll die from asphyxia, if you're lucky?
Old May 10, 2003, 19:19   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Did you guys ever see that movie "Real Men"?
Quote:
Guy A: I never knew you smoked.
Guy B: I only smoke after sex.
Guy A: Well, at least you don't smoke that much.
Guy B: eh, about a pack a day.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 10, 2003, 19:24   #14
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

While I don't smoke myself, I know many of hardcore smokers who begun by thinking it would just be occasional, and they'll end doing it about as easily as they have begun. Two very close friends have begun together a mere 3 years ago, and every attempt they have done to quit smoking (even assisted by myself or by their girlfriends) has failed until now. They are already too hooked, and I fear they'll never manage to quit smoking.

To quit, you have to do several of the following :

- decide not to smoke anymore. You won't fulfill this decision every time, but at least you'll feel guilty everytime you fire up a cig, so it will reduce your consumption

- do not buy cigarettes ever again. Not once. Ever. Smoke only cigarettes that you rake from your friends. Do not ever give your friends their money or their cigarettes back. Have them pissed at you for taking their cigs, do not hesitate

- Strictly forbid anyone to smoke in your house / room / any place that belongs to you. I'm sure you were able to do this back when you were an anti smoker. Continue this habit

- Hang this kind of picture somewhere in your room. Don't unhang them, and understand what they mean :
Healthy Lungs : - Unhealthy lungs :

- If you have a girlfriend, demand her to refuse kissing you everytime you stink of smoke. You'll deserve it, because you'd stink.

- Quitting smoking isn't easy. Most smokers are hooked for life, because cigarettes are designed to be terribly addictive. I've seen many people failing miserably to stop despite having a very strong will (much stronger than mine for sure). I have seen my uncle dying before being 60, back when his son wasn't married. Last summer, I've seen a close friend's father die at 55, leaving her wife all alone for the rest of her life. I have seen a friend of my parents dying at 40, leaving a 11 year old orphan son and a lone mother who couldn't hope to raise her kid with the same standards after that. We've never heard about them after his death.

- Maybe even worse : I've seen my cousins begin this horrible habit because their parents smoke. If you continue smoking, be aware your future children have high chances to make the same horrible mistake as you. Be fully aware of your responsiblities.

- You don't have to smoke when you are in a stressful situation. I know a lone mother who is in a terrible stress because of here inability to cope with her baby, her studies, her financial problems and her heart problems, but despite being exposed to more stress than I have ever directly witnessed elsewhere, she still doesn't smoke.

- Smoking hurts your sexual performance. One of my smoking friends had a terrible sexual life with a girlfriend, and it contributed direly to the end of their relationship.

- Start NOW ! NOW is the easiest time to stop. It is difficult already. But nothing like the hell you're gonna endure if you try starting later.
Old May 10, 2003, 19:26   #15
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Boy, it sure doesn't take much to get some folks hooked. Let me repeat what others have said: Quit now while you can, or you may never be able to quit until a horrible toll has been taken on your body.

BTW, I read somewhere that women are more likely to become addicted to cigarettes — and quicker, too — than men are. It only takes like five cigarettes for an "urge" to take root, and the "urge" turns into habit and addiction shortly thereafter. Hmm ... I think it was because women are smaller than men, thus the nicotine permeates their tissues and brain quicker than men ...

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old May 10, 2003, 19:29   #16
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Ah yes, I forgot. One of my smoking friends get a little more money than I do (roughly similar incomes). We are both living in student homes, and buy our wares in the same supermarkets, and both don't have cars. He has money problems nearly permanently, while I have a comfortable reserve, even though he is the one who manages his money carefully.

Of course, when nearly 10% of your income simply vanishes in cancer, you cannot hope to save money significantly.
Old May 10, 2003, 19:36   #17
Alvaro
Settler

that was very convincing... thanks, needed that at this late time of night.

*tosses the Gitanes pack into the trash*
Old May 10, 2003, 23:14   #18
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:11
/me waits for JohnT to show up
Old May 10, 2003, 23:20   #19
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 21:11
I've only smoked twice in my 20 year life.

(1) At my friend's kid's birth at TAMU
(2) After I realised I had really dropped the ball in grades and was going to get booted.

Thank God I didn't keep at it.
Old May 10, 2003, 23:31   #20
Oerdin
Deity

I admite I smoke cigars sometimes when I go out clubbing and drinking with my friends and smoking a Turkish water pipe (especially if it's filled with flavored water) just goes so well with drinking Turkish coffee and people watching downtown.
Old May 11, 2003, 00:29   #21
connorkimbro
Emperor

oh god. i've tried to quite before. i'm in the middle of trying to quit now. i was always one of those that said " nah, i'll never get addicted, i'll quit whenever i want" and now look at me, here i am, frickin addicted. it's hard to quit once you've turned it into a habit, so might as well not even let it get to that point.

-theonion.com
Old May 11, 2003, 00:34   #22
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

LOSER!!!!
Old May 11, 2003, 00:36   #23
Lonestar
inmate
King

connorkimbro

Clean out your fricking box, I want to PM you with regards to your job and duty station. ( I may have a buddy that works very close to you.)