Old April 26, 2001, 23:07   #91
Argonaut
Prince

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
OOC: Is the proposal for forces in every faction capital still going forward. Because I can guarentee Roze wouldn't be happy with a bunch of money grubbing Morganites running around Data DeCentral. That alone University troops.

***Private Message : Enhanced Encrpytion***
To: Prime Function Aki Zeta-Five

Aki,
I'm glad that we will be able to work on this project together. It'll keep Morgan and Zakharov from meddling in our databanks. As for favours in return, all I ask is that you keep this information confidential until we can complete this project. If word gets out about such a project, we could find ourselves with a horde of H.S. Algorithms all over Planet, and that would just be no good for business.

Roze

***Private Message : Standard Encrpytion***
To: Head Academician Zakharov

Well Academician? Suddenly you seem strangely quiet. Look around you. Morgan stabbed you in the back and signed a cease-fire, no real surprise there. The Hive backed out of the war, even before they got in. The Spartan Federation seems to be tearing themselves apart from the inside, and peace is on the horizon. That leaves you by the lonesome. Are you willing to put aside your attacks on the Cybernetic Conciousness and make peace with the entire Chiron Alliance, or do I give the order for my forces to cross the border in a full scale assault? Time is ticking Prokhor. Please make the wise decision.

Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2001, 06:07   #92
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
[OOC--Didn't mean to Preempt your post Guardian. I kept it vague and applied to the happening at Data ac. The removal of Weiss and Kessel contacting Lal pretty much happens at the same time.]

Ruby Ridge Memorial {Data Aq}

Captains Gunther, Thane, and Gerald were walking down the hallway leading to the command room. There were twenty soldiers behind them and one very important man, Chief Medical Officer White. Only the Captains entered the room, while the rest took up various positions throughout the hallway and at the corner. General Weiss was at the comm system still waiting in vain for some message from Sparta Command or General Helzburg. The three officers stepped inside and snapped to attention. Weiss barely noticed their presence until Gunther spoke up. "Sir, we have some matters to discuss with you in private." "Unless it involves new intelligence or news from Sparta Command, I don't have time. How is the placement of the civilians coming along?" "That's what we have come to talk about sir. Two hours ago we began the release of the remaining civilians." Weiss looked up. "Captain, I have no time for jokes. Where are the prisoners that will be placed in the command areas?" Just as Gunther was about to speak, the comm officer spoke up. "Sir we have an incoming message from Sparta Command. Text only. Codes have been authenticated." "Put it up on the screen" Weiss turned around to look at the screen on this desk monitor. Gunther and the two other officers got where they to could see the message.

----To: Gen. Weiss —From: General Marcus Kessel-Acting head of Spartan Federation.

General you are not, I repeat not to enact any sort of punishment on civilians within the confines of Ruby Ridge Memorial. We are in the process of negotiations to end hostilities. You are expected to remain in Ruby Ridge until such time that I order you otherwise. You are allowed to take such measures necessary to defend your men and property that belongs to the Spartan Federation. No offensive measures are authorized. Use of nerve agents are prohibited. Defensive measures only are to be undertaken. There remains a sizeable army outside your perimeter, do not engage them unless provoked. At that time only take appropriate actions to defend yourself. I will advise you of the situation in a live holo conference when more information is available. And General, no communication with General Helzburg is permitted.

End of text/

General Weiss just stared at the screen. He went back and reread the message hoping that it would somehow change. "Lieutenant, are you sure this message was authenticated?" "I checked three times sir. The message is genuine." Weiss was stunned. Of all people, General Kessel was the last person he expected to hear from. Captain Gunther spoke from behind him. "Sir I suggest that you pass this along to all officers in the base." "No. I do not accept the validity of the message. Continue with posting the civilians to all important areas and prepare a rover unit to go and attack the PK lines outside the base." "You are disobeying a direct order from Sparta Command, sir." No captain, I am not. This is obviously a fake transmission from the PK s designed to spread chaos within the ranks." Weiss was sweating now. "Now get to it captain." "I cannot do that sir. As we speak we are allowing the PK civilians to leave the base confines." "Treason, treason." Weiss yelled at the top of his lungs as he pulled his sidearm from his holster. He got it about have way out until Captain Thane grabbed his arm and knocked the pistol down. One of the guards in the room saw the Captain grab Weiss and squeezed off a round into the chest of Captain Gerald about the same time as Captain Gunter shot the second guard in the leg. Ten of the men out in the hall stormed in and began firing at the remaining guards in the room. When the smoke had cleared, there were seven dead including Captain Gerald. Gunther ordered his men to take Weiss down the hall to the holding cells for interrogations. Gunther walked across the room to the alert button. He pushed it and sirens began to whale throughout the base. Everywhere on the base those that were lucky enough to be off duty for a few hours sleep were rudely awaken. Men and woman were running in all directions to reach their preassigned stations. Rovers were brought online by the attending crews. Ground units were assembled at designated spots. At the front gates the civilians that were still filing out started to stand up against the wall in order not to be trampled by the soldiers running back and forth. Gunther watched the scene from the command area. He turned around to face the men and woman inside the room. "Well troops, this is going to be an interesting day. Captain Thane, go down to the gates and keep the civilians from being ran over by any of our rovers." He turned back to the screen showing the controlled chaos going on outside. "Now if I could only talk to someone in charge." Doctor White walked in. Gunther turned around to face him. "Well doc, we didn't need you after all. But in your professional opinion, was Weiss going over the edge?" The doctor sighed. "Well, if he wasn't before he sure as hell is now." "I guess that will have to do for now, doc".

[OOC Kessel has not idea about civilians being let go or the removal of Weiss]

To: Commissioner Lal

Commissioner Lal, I am the Commander of the Military District of Inner Sparta. I am also the acting head of the Spartan Federation. Colonel Santiago has stepped down as the leader of the Spartan Federation in order to attend to certain details that I am not at liberty to disclose. Suffice to say that all future dealings with the Spartan government will be done through me. I want to assure you that I fully support the peace measure presented in the past few weeks by Chairman Yang and support the formation of a multi-Faction force of peacekeepers. I have ordered an unilateral halt to all offensive actions of Spartan forces. But they will remain on high alert to act defensively if the need arises. I suggest a meeting at a neutral site of representatives from both of our factions. But first you must call a halt to all offensive action by your own faction and to the actions of your allies. If this is agreeable then we can work out a honorable peace for both of our factions. If you have any questions I will be here to provide whatever answers I can.

[OOC I have moved the part of Blast Rifle Crag to it's own post.]

[This message has been edited by Sprayber (edited April 27, 2001).]
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2001, 08:06   #93
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:34
[OOC: This is all happening at about the same time... Lal hasn't received Kessel's message yet...]

U.N. Headquarters

Commissioner Lal was restlessly pacing back and forth, trying to get his thoughts straightened out... he had a nasty feeling that something ugly was about to happen... that it might be happening even now... But he didn't know what it was... He knew he should call somebody or... do something... but he just couldn't get his mind focused on anything right now. Finally, after pacing around for what seemed like an eternity, he collapsed into a chair and just sat there staring at the wall...

Less than five miles away, the merchant cruiser Poseidon was leaving the harbor with another cargo of weapons and supplies bound for the Eastern Continent... The war machine was still running...

U.N. Haven City

Cilia was crying in her sleep, her tears rolling off her face and down onto the pillow... She had decided to try to get some rest before the mission, finally falling asleep after tossing and turning for two hours. But with the sleep came the dreams...

She was sitting in her cockpit, approaching the target... she wanted to turn away, to abort the mission and not drop her cargo... but she couldn't control anything! She was like a prisoner, helplessly watching... She was about to do something horrible...

Then she was awake.
But the nightmare hadn't gone away...

She was still sniffing and wiping her eyes as she started to put on her flight suit...

U.N. News Network

They were still "entertaining" the Spartans...
Now they were playing Metallica...

Something's wrong, shut the light
Heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White
Dreams of war, dreams of liars, dreams of dragon's fire
And of things that will bite...

South of Data Acquisition

They were heading north at full speed, still using the roads. Intelligence said the Spartans hadn't ventured this far south in all the months they had been in the area, so the roads were still safe. Further north, they would spread out and slow down a little.

As they rode through the darkness in complete silence, Kyla was constantly scanning the road and the terrain up ahead, watching for the slightest hint of any potential threat... She was breathing a little easier now, but had to admit that she was more scared than she'd expected to be. For the first time since she'd joined up, she didn't feel 110% sure that they were doing the right thing. She wasn't seriously in doubt yet, but she was kind of wondering... and it frightened her... Also, the fact that she was receiving visual data from outside the rover caused an increased sense of vulnerability... She might be one of the best gunners in this army, but right now she felt strangely naked and alone in the dark...

Further north...

They were heading south along the road, still kind of amazed that the Spartans had suddenly turned around and just let them go like that... Alicia ran her fingers through her hair as she kept watching the road ahead. What was it the Spartan officer had said? "For redemption. For honor."

For honor... now, who would have thought it.
There was such a thing as a Spartan hero after all...

Elsewhere...

In the darkness, they were almost invisible until you came really close...
Without some kind of sensor equipment, there was simply no way to know they were there until the ground seemed to come alive...

-and then it would be too late...

Now I lay me down to sleep
Pray the Lord my soul to keep
And if I die before I wake
Pray the Lord my soul to take

Hush little baby, don't say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It's just the beasts under your bed
In your closet, in your head

U.N. Enforcement Base

General Braddock was standing in his "War Room" watching the entire situation unfold on a computerized map. He could see the allied units closing on the base from all sides. The air force would be taking off right about now. Everything was on schedule...

As he watched, a new symbol appeared on the map as a forward observer reported seeing units leaving Data Acquisition, heading south...

Incoming radio transmission, repeated on various PK frequencies...

"Mayday, mayday, any radio, any radio. This is Alicia Newton on the lead rover heading south from Data Acquisition. Don't shoot, we're civillians! The Spartans have let us go... we don't know why, but they did it... say again, urgent message! This is a priority one distress call..."

The Spartans were using dirty tricks again... trying to sneak up on them under cover of being "civillians" ! Kyla felt her face tighten under her protective mask... They probably did have some civillians on those rovers, but those civillians were as good as dead no matter what anyone did...

Once again, she felt the anger and hate well up inside her...
The bastards! They're making us shoot our own people again!

Tears welled up in her eyes as a wave of nausea swept over her and she felt sick to her stomach for a few moments... Biting it down and gritting her teeth, she punched up the tactical map display... they would meet the southbound rovers in approximately two hours from now... Trying not to think about it, she returned to her constant scanning...

Then the sergeant's voice came over the intercom.
"Cleared to engage. You're cleared to engage hostiles at maximum range."
She acknowledged the message and kept scanning for targets as the sped north through the darkness...

[This message has been edited by Guardian (edited April 27, 2001).]
Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2001, 08:57   #94
Sprayber
Emperor

Ruby Ridge Memorial {Data Acq}

Captain Gunther prepared a short message to send to General Kessel in Sparta Command.

To: General Kessel---From: Captain Gunther acting commander of Ruby Ridge Memorial

General Kessel, I have been forced to remove General Weiss from his post of Commander of the Combine Army due to a mental breakdown and the attempted defiance of lawful orders received from yourself not a half hour ago. I will follow your instructions to the letter. I have placed the base on a high state of alert due to possible resistence from counter forces. I await your instructions sir. Also I have taken it upon myself to release the civilian population from the confines of the base. They are still streaming out of the base as we speak. I took this action before the change of command and under Weiss's orders to place civilian prisoners in a human shield capacity. I take full responsibility for this action and await your decision about who shall command. Your loyal officer Gunther

Gunther, punched the send button and walked back over to the screen showing one of the two gates. Civilians were still walking out. The last of the rovers was pulling out. For a brief second, Gunther considered the idea halting the evacuation in the off chance that the civilians might be fired upon. But surely the Pks could see that the rovers that they were in carried no arms to speak of. "Lieutenant Ball. Began broadcasting on the normal Pk channels. Keep repeating that civilians are being evacuated." "Yes, sir" Gunther walked back over to the main screen and was thinking about having Thane send a few unmanned drones out when a tremendous explosion rocked the command room. "What the hell was that" "Reports of an explosions in the far barracks complex. Sir, there is a medical unit still located there." Gunther turned to the operations officer. "Give me view of the damage." The screen switched from the east gate to a different view. Immediately Gunther saw a large column of smoke rise up from where the medical barracks should have been. "Damn it to bloody hell. Lieutenant, have Gerald's company move over there now. I want a lock down on this base. Lock all entrances to and from the base. Activate security cameras. All other units are to stay where they are. Tell Thane to move the remaining civilians that haven't left the base to the supply warehouse. Tell him to have his men stand guard. Have my sergeant to position the rovers at intersections. People that aren't recognized are to be detained. If they resist, have them shot. Also tell Thane to have an unmanned drone launched. I want it to fly around the upper reaches of the base to prevent snipers from getting to the higher levels." "Right away sir." The Lt turned around and began transmitting the appropriate orders. Gunther sat down it the command chair in front of the big screen with the still burning medical barracks displayed. He swiveled to face the Comm Officer. "Lieutenant, try and raise a PK unit out there. Terminate the repeating message. I want to talk to someone in charge over there. Tell them the new commander of Ruby Ridge Memorial wants to talk. Wait scratch Ruby Ridge, tell them that the new commander of Spartan forces inside Data Acquisition wants to talk." "Yes sir" There was no use in insulting the people he wanted to talk to after all.

Old April 27, 2001, 09:30   #95
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

"Sir, the Spartans have stopped blabbering about evacuating civillians... now there is some lieutenant on here saying that their new commander wants to talk." Commander Grafton raised an eyebrow. The Spartans were trying all kind of tricks tonight. Maybe they were starting to realize what was in store for them...

All right then... Let's hear what this "new commander" of theirs has to say...

To: Spartan commander at "Ruby Ridge"...

Spartan commander, this is Commander Grafton of the U.N. Special Forces.
I understand that you wanted to talk to me? Whatever it is you have to say, go ahead and say it. We're listening...

[OOC: Meanwhile, Lal has received Kessel's message... he will answer soon... And, over the Great Dunes, the PK jets are flying west at high speed...]
Old April 27, 2001, 09:54   #96
Sprayber
Emperor

Sparta Command

General Kessel was just about to lay down when his aid burst through the door, "Sir priority one message from Ruby Ridge Memorial" Kessel immediately sit back down and activated his comm board. After reading the message he made a short and to the point message to the new commander.

To: Captain Gunther acting commander of Ruby Ridge Memorial- - From: Gen. Kessel

I am promoting you to the rank of commander and giving you command of the Combine Army. Your are there Commander, I trust your judgement. Just remember what is at stake here. We have domestic problems that need to be addressed soon. Honor is important here. But so are lives. It is your job to balance the two. Kessel out.

Newly promoted Commander Gunther, was rereading the General's message when the Comm Officer interrupted Gunther's concentration. "Sir, we have a Commander Grafton of the U.N. Special Forces on the comm." Gunther swivelled his chair around to the front of the room.

To: Commander Grafton of the PK Special Forces
From: Commander Karl Gunther of the Combine Army stationed in Data Acquisition

Commander Grafton, there is a column of PK civilians on their way south to your positions. They have been allowed to leave the confines of the base as a gesture of good will from the Spartan Federation. There are more civilians inside the base that are currently being protected from subversive elements within our command structure. This is not meant to be a threat of any kind, simply a statement of the current situation. My government has informed me that our two factions are presently engaged in negotiations to end the war. As a result of this the former commander of this army has been arrested and removed from position of responsibility. I ask for a cease fire so the rest of the civilian population can be removed from this base at no risk to them. There are approximately 2000 left in the city. Maybe by then, our two governments can reach some kind of permanent solution. As it stands, we are here. We are the ones responsible. And I for one am no longer willing to allow those that cannot defend themselves be slaughtered. Today is not a good day to die for anyone.

As Gunther punched the send button a second explosion rocked the base. On the other side of the base another column of black smoke rose up into the sky.
Old April 27, 2001, 10:31   #97
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

U.N. Headquarters

Commissioner Lal felt a rush of excitement as he re-read General Kessel's message. This was the general whom intelligence said had been opposing the use of nerve gas all along, supposedly an honorable soldier who wasn't into scheming and backstabbing... This was quite possibly someone he could trust...

Commander Grafton blinked in surprise as the message from the Spartan commander came in... What in the world was going on up there??

Time to have a chat with general Braddock...

Meanwhile...

Kyla was still scanning for targets. There hadn't been any yet, but she knew that wouldn't last much longer... She noticed that her rover was slowing down a bit as others were pulling off the road and coming up alongside. They were spreading out and getting ready for battle...

To: General Marcus Kessel

General, I am ready to enter negotiations with you in the hope of bringing this terrible war to an end and restoring peace to this continent. This will not be an easy task, but I sincerely hope that it can be done. This madness has been going on for too long already. I shall order an immediate cease fire and a halt to all offensive operations against your forces. Once the cease fire is in place, we can get back together and start working out the details of a permanent peace treaty.

After sending this message, Lal tries to get hold of Braddock, who is "currently unavailable" and not answering the call...

[OOC: This sucks, but I'm gonna have to go for now... I'll try to get back to it some time this weekend...]
Old April 27, 2001, 11:09   #98
Sprayber
Emperor

Sector 45-A Ruby Ridge Memorial {Data Acq}

The Weiss loyalist had thought that they had gotten away a second time. But this time Gunther's men had been almost on top of the intended target, a sensor node that connected all of Data's sensor net. The saboteurs had made a mistake and dropped the charges in the building across the street. The mistake caused the carrier his life and it was about to do the same thing for his comrades. They were held up in an abandoned building. The ranking officer on the scene had a decision to use his men to assault the building or simply contain them. He decided to contact Gunther. "Sir, we have them trapped in a building in the western part of the base. Should we assault the building or simply wait them out." Gunther paced across to his seat. "Lieutenant, demolish the building. Level it to the ground." "Affirmative sir." The Lt turned and gave those inside the rovers to stand by. Commandos moved in under the cover of the rovers and placed explosives at key points in the building. The men inside tried to pick them off, and did manage to hit one. The other ran clear of the building and the Lt gave the order to detonate. The building collapsed in on itself. After the ruble had finished falling troopers went in to finish off anyone that was lucky to survive.

Now that those bastards were dead, Commander Gunther could at least relax a bit. He looked at his watch. A couple hours till sunrise. Gunther silently wondered what the new day would bring.

Sparta Command

General Kessel had just ordered some food from the mess hall inside the command center when his comm board lit up with an incoming message. "Wonder who that is. Ah Lal." As Kessel read the message a tremendous weight was lifted from his shoulders. One enemy down. Four more to go.

It is good that you have received my proposal and agreed with it. I must warn you that there are certain elements within my faction that will not be happy with this news as I am certain that there will be those of the same way of thinking among yours. In the coming days I will have to apply some brutal methods in order to deal with those elements. They will not be allowed to destroy this fragile peace that we have started today. Contact me on any proposals that you may have regarding a peace conference.

Kessel sent the message off and leaned back in his chair. Now it was time to contact Yang.

To: Chairman Yang

My good Chairman. I am General Marcus Kessel. I am the new leader of the Spartan Federation. Colonel Santiago has stepped aside in order to take care of internal matters. I am aware of your arrangements with Colonel Santiago, and want to assure that I am in complete agreement with them and they will go forward as planned. I shall get back to you shortly as to the details of our future relations. You no doubt have some knowledge of me from our past wars against each other. I want to assure you that I have no lingering anger towards you or your faction. On the contrary I hope to bring our factions closer together in the coming years. Until next time Chairman.

Outside Blast Rifle Crag

Governor Pontas did not like his current situation. He did not know who these people were. He had his suspicions, but nothing that could be proved. Unfortunately, he didn't have time on his side. He did not want to give in to the forces that were tearing Sparta apart. His base had been isolated from the rest of Sparta ever since his comm. towers were destroyed by the bombardments. Last information he had was that Santiago had disbanded the Junta and took sole power. Helzburg was in the south somewhere. Kessel, his friend, was on the run and that bastard General Kell had the ear of Santiago. He would never give in to Santiago or to Helzburg. It seemed like Kessel had disappeared. And now he was left with no choice but to deal with these invaders. His only concern now were the people under his care. So the choice had been made. He hat to be careful. He didn't want to give any foreign power any claim on Spartan soil if he could help it. When he met the foreign commander he was a bit surprised to find no identifying marks. This would not be easy. He had brought with him a proposal on a data pad which he handed to the foreign commander.

[OOC: These are just Pontas' wish list. He doesn't expect this to be resolved right away.]

1. A extension of the cessation of hostilities for humanitarian reasons concerning the civilian population.
2. The rovers could enter the base and remain in the outside garage areas while the representatives work out further details.
3. The commander of the rover units provide information as to what faction they are from.
4. The commander of the rover units pledge to observe all conventions on the treatment of civilians.

He looked at the commander as he handed over the data pad. "Lets talk."

[OOC. The only way I know to work this is to have Pontas to have been cut off from the rest of Sparta and not be aware of the new government. He doesn't want to have these people in his base but the doesn't have much choice. He is Kessel's friend, but now hates every other leader in the Federation. All he wants is to save his people from being killed. Pontas isn't your typical Spartan. He is an administrator, not a soldier. What are the long term plans you have for these rover units? Are you planning to eventually take the base or what. Could have something with the remnants of the cult to attack the base or something. The bloackade guardians will come looking around. No engagements just looking. Kell has been kept by Kessel, didn't have much of a choice., and is now back in Janissary Rock. Of course most of Kessel's attention will be directed south against Helzburg for the time being.]
Old April 27, 2001, 22:11   #99
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

OOC:
1. Natan, we can probably drop the idea then, because Miriam does not have enough forces
to want to propose a leadership role in the task forces; she would like to have forces in
everyone's capitals, but not the amount that a leadership force would need.
2. LMP, this is how I always play Morgan, he is always angry at the Data Angels- but doesn't
really care about the Cyborgs. To them he is indifferent... also- please respect my mods
position, I do not need to be 'herded' into doing things, I don't question your ideas for
other factions which you run- so please, unless it ruins the storyline- do not question mine.
I know what I am doing, I have been writing for this story as long as you have.
3. SMAC- I introduced the storyline but queried everyone about their feelings- I did this
because I thought that after people saw the storyline in action, they would approve of it
for its literary value.

7-32-2182

"NO I WILL NOT!" Dr. Fitzben raged towards Zakharov as Zakharov attempted to convince him
that the spending for the cure of "AILYS Defunctional Syndrome" and "Mindworm Sickness"
was not worth the spending of 5 billion energy credits.
"But Kyle, be reasonable-" Zakharov attempted to convince him.
"Lives are at STAKE!" Fitzben angrily replied.
"Kyle, those credits could be better put to use for weapons technologies- as you very well
know the Peacekeepers are becoming territorial and are mad with us for our 'cloning'
experiments."
"Zakharov," Kyle began "Zakharov, you know my stance and how precious I believe human
life is, this is not the first time we have argued such- but Mindworm Sickness is
extremely dehabilitating towards the young who have been infected by mindworms."
"So," Zakharov disgustedly replied, "we can just clone more humans- it is simple.
We can also kill the mindworms before they enter the installments."
"Oh Zakharov- you know as well as I that the mindworms are like locusts, you cannot keep
them out of anything!" Zakharov glared at Dr. Fitzben and scream-responed to him
"Dr. Fitzben, I have had it with you. One more complaint and you will be fired, sacked,
destroyed."
"Very well," Dr. Fitzben conceded. "If you have no respect for life, then I shall
just have to resign."
"I expect the letters on my desk by noon."
"Good!"

The two went their seperate ways, seething.

7-32-2182

Dr. Fitzben at his desk angrily packing

"Sir," a junior medtech approaches him. "Many of us in the department share your sympathies
on helping the people with AILYS and Mindworm Sickness, and we will quit with you if it will
help Zakharov to see that those special services are funded.
A mass-walkout could be organized."

Dr. Fitzben scratched his chin pondering this overture and responded,
"Perhaps we should attempt this measure, and perhaps it will work and perhaps it will not,"
DarkCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2001, 22:16   #100
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

FROM: Head Academican Prokhor Zakharov(-Marx-Darwin-Tolstoy-Oppenhimer-Plato)
TO: Director of Cultural Operations, Leo Dwerski-Thalamun
CC: University Base City Manager, Gregory George Gnu-Ghanst

SUBJECT: Movement to the Underground

Work has begun on our tunnel system, however the populace must be educated so as to
embrace underground life and its benefits of removal from the political scene and
the removal from a necessary contact with the Cybernetic Consciousness.

Thus, I wish Leo Dwerski-Thalamun to begin a cultural program aimed at moving the populace
to embracing their move to the underground.

TO: Head Data Angel Sinder Roze

SUBJECT: Possible Cease-Fire with Cyborgs

I am not prepared to offer peace to the Cyborgs until they return Inspiration Point to
the University, however, in the interests of peace- if all sides disarm the amounts of weapons
which I previously stated, then I will offer a temporary cease-fire to the Cyborgs, and
peace to all other parties involved in this war.

-APZ(MDTOP)
Old April 27, 2001, 23:41   #101
[LordLMP]

OOC: Spray/Guardian, do be careful with the timescale please now we are in thr third quarter of the game year. And whatever left of the 4 Cult of War Infantry units are still battling with the PK/CoP defenders along the defence lines north of Haven City. More like in a Bunker Command/Trench Warfare combat :P There is clusters of Bunkers along the defence lines :P and the Cult of War are being pain in the butts, being supernaturally atrocious and gothicly evil. :P doubt PKs will be able to capture some of them...alive anyway.
Darkcloud, sorry :/ where did having units in in Capital Bases came from? and Believer does have a big military force, but lowtech thought, and most don't have a lot of combat experience...mainly some battles against mindworms i would think... they could afford sending units to peacekeep, just that they are not use to interacting with other factions. also thinking that they may have establish a seabase in Nessus Sea and another base along their east frontier. already added the co-ords of bases :P oh, and i'm slowly preparing Isle of Deiamera for possible story situation after the war... and there is an Antimind Fungus Base on the island :P and an Morgan exploration outpost which will be upgraded into a base, Morgan Exploration coordinates in Admin thread, new one
Blake, where are you? wondering what the Cult of Planet would do, now that peace with the Spartans is coming...

NAUTILUS SAILOR NEWS

Both the Free Drones and the Morganites have establish bases on Isle of Deiamera...

Free Drones has recently landed a Colony Pod on Isle of Deiamera, which is mostly unexplored, and has begun establishing a base there. Free Drones still haven't informed us of the name of their new base. As for the Morganites, they are mainly only upgrading their exploration outpost already on the island to base which will be called Morgan Exploration.

Peacekeepers and Spartans are currently in peace negociations...

It seems the war on the eastern continent may end soon, but we foresee many other problems there to deal with...

Blast Rifle Crag

Colonel Rohrer read through the Datapad and then she looks at Pontas with an interesting little smile. She states to the governor that her units are part of the Chiron Alliance Forces and their intentions are to bring Blast Rifle Crag out of the war. So she will agree to the governors terms aslong as her units relieve of the bases garrisons of the perimeter defence and the bases seaports/naval yard, or else her units will take the base by force.

OOC: She rather be able to partially succeed in having some control over the base without any civilians casualties, but she will not openly show any soft spots to the Governor thought. Also, it was mentioned that the Gaians reinforcements are being sent to the eastern continent, but of course, the Governor doesn't know that yet.

To: Planetary Council

The Free Drones is willing to spare some units to help patrol a DMZ between the Spartans and the Peacekeepers.

Foreman Domai

Even thought we are part of the Chiron Alliance and have also declare war upon the Spartans, we are willing to help patrol a DMZ with the military force we are currently sending to the eastern continent, as we haven't really participated in the war. I do not want to think that my faction built a military force to be sent to the eastern front only to turn back as they are not needed anymore.

Lady Deirdre Skye
Old April 28, 2001, 01:31   #102
Argonaut
Prince

***Private Message : Standard Encryption***
To: Head University Guy Zakharov

No dice Zakharov. You seem to think this is a negotiation, which it is not. I prefer to call it an ultimaitum, if you will. It's peace with the WHOLE Chiron Alliance or my forces begin the assault. I cannot speak necessarily for the rest of the Alliance, but I assure you my forces will defend my allies in the Cybernetic Conciousness until our last breath. I will not turn my back on them when things get tough, just as I know the good Prime Function would do the same for me.
Be reasonable for once in your life Prokhor. We used to be on the same side until you ventured over to Morgan's side. Look how well that turned out. Bring an end to this war. Make peace. You didn't come to this planet to fight wars, you came to discover and conduct research did you not? Then accept the fact the Cybernetic Conciousness is here to stay, whether you like it or not, and that we all need to work together to survive on this continent. The ball is in your court.

Roze

To: CEO Nwabudike Morgan

So your moving in to our cozy little island, huh? You just can't stay away from me Morgan can you. You should be a little more subtle in future. People are starting to talk about us you know.

Roze

To: Foreman Domai

I see you are moving in to our little island getaway as well Foreman. I must welcome you to this little section of paradise. You'll find the climate enjoyable I'm sure. It's one of the nicest parts of Planet outside of the Monsoon Jungle, or so my people at The Sprawl keep bragging to us. Unfortunately, Morgan has reared his ugly head here, but I'm glad to see that at least one of our neighbours will provide good company. Good luck with your endevours.

Roze

***New Orders : Enchanced Encrpytion***
To: General Marcus Norfolk Invasion Force

General,
You are ordered to put your forces on full alert for the attack. Don't make any direct assaults unless provoked, but be prepared to move on my command. I don't know where Zakharov stands yet, and I won't attack until all diplomatic options have been exhausted. But I fear that will be soon.

Roze out.

OOC: I will post the army stats shortly once I've figured it out and reworked my admin stuff.

Old April 28, 2001, 22:46   #103
DarkCloud
staff

OOC: all questions will be answered *hopefully* tommorrow; AND Morgan will get back to Roze...

~~~IN A DREAM~~~
TO: Antimind

Why do you question us about cloning, we know its military and practical applications-
is there something you omit from telling me about it?

Our tubules will be finished soon and we will have enough researchers to find
a way back to Earth, and enough of an army to defend our lands.
----
Antimind broadcasts to Hive

Info requested: Why would one who was battling another ask that other for peace and wish
for peace when that one could very possibly destroy the other?

Antimind broadcasts to Morgan

Info requested: Why do you not punish those among your faction who trade with those you
were at war with?

Antimind broadcasts to Data Angels

Info requested: Why do humans have 'bonds' to support each other when you are so volatile?
----
Morgan to Antimind

Because it would not be in the best interests of business. And besides, those people are
now heroes and help us keep in good relations with our new friends, the Cyborgs and Data
Angels.

Why did you recently become so inquisitive?

Antimind to Morgan

Must learn so I may cooperate with you so Planetmind does not grow bold and attempt to
destroy me.

Morgan to Antimind

Interesting answer... Interesting...

Morgan writes a note to self

Note: Consider sending Antimind a gift of mindworm accessories as soon as they are developed;
then require mindworms in payment to sell to Cyborgs and University to get good relations
with both.
Old April 29, 2001, 07:28   #104
Clear Skies
Prince

Private Message - Enhanced Encryption

To: Datatech Sinder Roze

Roze,
Of course, confidentiality is of the highest order here. We do not believe that any other faction has knowledge of Pre-Sentient Algorithms, and thus our Hunter-Seeker Algorithm should be the only one of its kind on the face of Planet.
My scientists have already begun research into the latest technology, Orbital Spaceflight. If we were to work on this together, perhaps we could put a joint satellite into space. Just imagine - the first spaceflight since the destruction of the Unity!
May our goals continue to progress together in harmony.
Aki
Clear Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2001, 17:44   #105
DarkCloud
staff

OOC: I misinterpreted Natan's statements and now wish to exploit that misinterpretation into
a storyline.

I think that the Believers would gladly become peacekeeping forces so they may have a greater
chance to convert the other faction members.

If you need to command the Morganites- please feel free, LMP.

----

---
'Kommandant' Reya Hollis-Keyson to The Leader

Our forces have acquired many government positions. The highest was acquired by myself, I am
now Zakharov's Minister of Inner-Factional Relationships, thus I deal with the inner-conflicts
in the University and can manipulate the members of the University to join The Perfect Society.

Even if we don't change the University from within, we will be able to shatter the University
and create a new faction.

'Kommandant' Julius Juliard-Johnson to The Leader

Sir, our operations in Morganite territory have accomplished much; our system of trading with
Morgan's enemies has made us the prime traders with the Data Angels and Cyborgs.

If this prosperity keeps up, then within ten years we shall own Morgan.

To: Head Datajack Sinder Roze

Roze, my dear,
The University does wish for an uniterrupted period of research, and to show our willingness
to cooperate with research- we will reassign and disassemble one-tenth of our forces.
We also will welcome peace with the Cybernetic Consciousness upon one condition. The condition
is that they either, a. return Inspiration Point to us, or b. consider our territory surrounds
Inspiration Point and we have full troop movement around it while the Cyborgs' movement is
restricted, avaliable only by our permission. We also ask that we not be contacted about
meaningless 'Chiron Council' results unless they concern The University, in which case, we
demand to be contacted.

We propose good terms of peace. However we refuse to communicate directly with the
Cyborg Defectors, and upon peace being fully negotiated, will ignore their existance completely
unless they dare trouble our research efforts.

-Prokhor Zakharov.
Old April 29, 2001, 17:55   #106
DarkCloud
staff

From Sister Miriam
To The Chiron Council

I believe that my proposal of a peacekeeping force comprised of Believers and Gaians would
help keep the peace on this planet and destroy any atheistic loss of morality ideas that
factions such as the University seem to be suffering.

Thus it is imperative that you pass a measure for peacekeeping forces in each factions'
capitol.
Old April 29, 2001, 18:03   #107
DarkCloud
staff

Antimind broadcasts to Pirates, Morganites, Free Drones, Data Angels

Busy little humans, you dare encroach upon the fungal bases in the north...
warning, be careful about the ecological damage you do... and do not get involved in
any war situations as they distress me.

Antimind broadcasts to Zakharov
Headstrong, Self-Important, Impetuous, Egotistical- are you not?

Zakharov to Antimind
Thank you for the interesting comments- but please, keep the
emotions to a minimum. My head is still ringing from their impact.
Old April 29, 2001, 18:23   #108
Argonaut
Prince

OOC: Okay here's what I came up with for an Invasion army based on what my bases could support on the map I've created and where I think my army stands. It does leave more forces back for defence. Let me know if it's imbalanced, and if so how, and I'll adjust.

4 x Impact Batter (4,1,2) (Vet)
8 x Trained Impact Infantry (4,3p,1) (Vet)
2 x Impact Rover (4,1,2)(Vet)
1 x Trained Missile Rover (6,2,2)(Hard)
1 x Missile Penetrator (6,1,10)(Dis)
1 x Mindworm (Boil)
1 x Battle Ogre Mk I (6r,3r,1) (Dis)

***General Broadcast : Enhanced Encryption***
To: The Chiron Alliance

I have been trying to reach an end to the conflict with the University, and have at last gotten him to agree to peace with the Conciousness. However, it does require concessions on the part of our Cybernetic allies, either surrendering Inspiration Point, or allowing the University to control the lands around Inspiration Point, granting free right of movement to UoP forces and restricting those of the Cybernetic Conciousness. While I am desire peace, I feel this decision is best left up to you Prime Function. I will support you in your decision no matter what, but I believe time is of the essence. I do not know how much longer Zakharov's window of reason will last if we do seek to accept this proposal.

Roze

To: Head Academician Zakharov

You seem awfully sure of yourself Zakharov, to be so arrogant to make demands of the Chiron Alliance. Tread carefully Zakharov, because unless I am mistaken, you are currently on the weaker side in the grand scheme of things.
Nevertheless, I have passed on your proposal to the other Alliance leaders, and am waiting on their decisions. Until then, my forces will be content to guard my border carefully, as I'm sure yours will do the same.

Roze

***General Broadcast : Standard Encryption***
To: Planetary Council Members

I will not allow any troops within the vicinity of Data DeCentral unless they be allied. I have no need to willingly allow my enemies access to my Headquarters, simply so that they can keep their tabs on my activities, and I'm sure most of them would not be delighted to have my forces running around any of their bases. I will not take part in such a proposal even if it means withdrawing from the Planetary Council.

Roze

Roze to Antimind

What are you going on about? Fungal base? What's with the questions? What do you want?

Old April 29, 2001, 22:44   #109
[LordLMP]

Same as the Data Angels, we will not tolerate a foreign unit in our Capital. Besides, they may get seasick.

Captain Svensgaard

To: Chiron Alliance

We will end the war with University after you Alpha Prime and Datatech. Either option, it would cut off the base east of Inspiration Point from rest of the Cyborg faction. We could also plant a Chiron Alliance Force at inspiration point while University controles the territory around it. And hide some units at the Manifold Nexus, if they are wanted by Planetmind. (who seem to be quiet lately). If we choose to continue the war, my Battle Dragon units on the continent will help take on University. I can also send in the Nautilus Marines to help take Cosmograd and University Base.
Anyway, whatever you choose, the Nautilus Pirates will support your faction.

Captain Svensgaard

Old April 30, 2001, 00:18   #110
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

[OOC: Well, I guess we've really messed with the timescale here, as this one night has "lasted" for well over a month by now, but... well, we'll just have to assume that the war lasted that long and that this thing happened at the end of it all... Anyway, here's a little more on the confusion amongst the Peacekeepers. I'll wrap it all up tomorrow, so stay tuned... ]

Over the Great Dunes...

Cilia had spent the last few hours trying to be a robot... to just do her job without thinking about it. This wasn't her fault... She should just fly in there, fly back out again and not look back... ever...

She knew she couldn't do it.
Now she was desperately hoping for some kind of miracle to happen...

"90 minutes to target", the mission commander's voice announced.

Swallowing hard and blinking several times, she tried to stay focused on her flying...

U.N. Enforcement Base

General Braddock was on the comm with Commander Grafton, trying to figure out what the hell was going on up there at Data Acquisition. He had just received a copy of the message from commander Gunther...

quote:

To: Commander Grafton of the PK Special Forces
From: Commander Karl Gunther of the Combine Army stationed in Data Acquisition

Commander Grafton, there is a column of PK civilians on their way south to your positions. They have been allowed to leave the confines of the base as a gesture of good will from the Spartan Federation. There are more civilians inside the base that are currently being protected from subversive elements within our command structure. This is not meant to be a threat of any kind, simply a statement of the current situation. My government has informed me that our two factions are presently engaged in negotiations to end the war. As a result of this the former commander of this army has been arrested and removed from position of responsibility. I ask for a cease fire so the rest of the civilian population can be removed from this base at no risk to them. There are approximately 2000 left in the city. Maybe by then, our two governments can reach some kind of permanent solution. As it stands, we are here. We are the ones responsible. And I for one am no longer willing to allow those that cannot defend themselves be slaughtered. Today is not a good day to die for anyone.

Braddock snorted. "Gesture of good will, huh? Nice try, but we all know that talking about good will in conjunction with the Spartan Federation is like talking about lungs on a fish."

The two men discussed the matter for a few minutes, but no orders were changed...

South of Data Acquisition...

Kyla tried to swallow the lump that was building in her throat, but it wouldn't quite go away... This Alicia Newton was quite insistant that there were no Spartans with the column currently moving south towards them. The woman must know by now that she's going to die anyway, so why would she lie to us? It makes no sense... -unless...

Kyla felt a shadow of doubt pass over her momentarily, chilling her very soul and sending shivers down her spine. With some effort, she forced herself to calm down and get back to scanning for targets... She didn't like the idea of being the one to kill Alicia, but she knew she couldn't afford to hesitate...

[This message has been edited by Guardian (edited April 29, 2001).]
Old April 30, 2001, 09:55   #111
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

U.N. Headquarters

Commissioner Lal was still trying... why wasn't Braddock answering his call??

South of Data Acquisition...

Commander Grafton was not a happy man. There were civillians out there in front of his forces. That much was indisputable. They've survived for almost a full year under the Spartans, and now we're about to kill them all because we don't trust them anymore...

It just wasn't fair... -and what if the Spartan commander was telling the truth...?
He decided to have another talk with Braddock about it all...

Further north...

Alicia was getting frustrated. Why wouldn't her own people believe her?? They clearly thought that this was some kind of Spartan trick or something... With an effort, she calmed down and turned to the others. "Don't worry", she told them. "They are Peacekeepers, after all. They won't shoot us without checking who we are first, and they'll see that there are no Spartans. Just wait and see..."

Somewhere in between Grafton and Alicia...

The rovers were now spread out in attack formation. Kyla was still scanning for targets, knowing that other gunners were doing the same... She checked her tactical map again... ETA 15 minutes... Those poor souls up ahead... they'd be blasted to pieces in a matter of seconds...

Those bastard Spartans will pay for this!

Kyla was ready to fire...

U.N. Enforcement Base

General Braddock was having second thoughts as well... perhaps they should get somebody to close in and visually ID the southbound rovers before anyone opened fire? Yes, that sounded like a good idea... and he should probably find out what the hell the commissioner wanted at this hour...

"Hold fire! Do not engage southbounds! New orders: Close and identify. Repeat: You are to close for a visual identification. You are not cleared to engage at this time. Acknowledge, over."

One by one, the rovers checked in and acknowledged the new order.
Kyla felt both relieved and distressed at the same time. Close for a visual identification... that meant she would have a chance to direct her fire away from the civillians, if at all possible. But... if the Spartans had been really smart, it might not be possible to avoid hitting civillians, and then this only meant that she would have to look at the poor people before blowing them up! -If she even got that far, which she couldn't be sure of... Closing in for a visual meant that she was going to be a sitting duck for at least a couple of minutes, which would be plenty of time for the Spartans to engage her first... Ah well! At least this way she knew that she wouldn't be firing blindly into a bunch of civillians, which she wasn't sure if she could ever have forgiven herself...

She kept scanning for targets... there they were... she'd gotten the order just in time. 3 more minutes and it would have been too late...

Elsewhere...

The ground was alive... and slithering towards the base... closing for the kill...
45 more minutes and it would be too late...

Over the Great Dunes, east of Data Acquisition

Every minute was an eternity now. Every breath brought her closer...
Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and exhaled slowly, seeking comfort where there was none.
"60 minutes to target."
She felt like crying again, but no tears would come...

The approaching rovers had not deployed for battle. They were still just traveling south in a single column. That was odd... Sure, the Spartans would want to stay that way as long as possible so as not to blow their cover, but they were well within missile range by now... Kyla felt her muscles tighten as the rover started climbing a small hill. Once they were over this one, she should be able to zoom in and have a look...

U.N. Headquarters

Lal had finally gotten hold of Braddock and was telling him the good news. Suddenly, the general excused himself and said that something urgent had just come up and required his immediate attention. He would get back in touch as soon as he could. Lal was about to ask what was going on, but the link was dead...

Commander Grafton was just starting to get impatient when a young female somewhere up front suddenly spoke up in a high-pitched, urgent tone of voice.
"Duster 1 has a visual sir! They're unarmed utility rovers! No weapons! No sign of hostiles! Repeat: no sign of hostiles in this column!! Over."
Grafton's heart skipped a beat. The Spartan had told the truth!
He'd better let Braddock in on the news...
Meanwhile, Kyla let out a big sigh of relief and thanked the powers that be for changing her orders. If she had discovered this afterwards, she... She'd rather not think about that...

East of Data Acquisition

They had reached the Initial Point and split up.
From here, groups of jets would arc around to approach the target from different directions, and the attack would be launched from all sides at once. Now a classic, the "wagon wheel" attack had been developed by the Americans in Vietnam over 200 years ago. It was still a pretty decent tactical move...
Then the miracle happened.
"Abort mission. Say again: abort mission. Do not attack, do not strike the target. Acknowledge, over."

If she could have, she would have kissed him.

U.N. Headquarters

Commissioner Lal and general Braddock were already discussing their next move...

Lal: There are those who would question my ability to guarantee a cease fire...
Braddock: That's bullsh!t.
Lal (slightly startled): You mean...
Braddock: Questioning your ability to guarantee a cease fire. It's bullsh!t.
Lal: You think so? Can I give Kessel my word then?
Braddock: Absolutely, sir. Our people over here still hold you in the highest regard. True, we do think you a bit too soft-spoken at times, but if you're the one asking us, we're willing to step back and let you handle the rest your way.
Lal (smiling): Thank you general. That's settled then...
Braddock: Oh, and sir... Just one piece of friendly advice, sir, if I may...
Lal (raises an eyebrow): What do you have in mind?
Braddock: If you want to keep things this way... You can not sign the treaty if it's favorable to the Spartans. It will have to be favorable to you. To the Charter, that is...

Lal pondered that one for a while afterwards...
He had never been one to mingle with military hard-liners and power brokers.
But he had to admit... it was kind of nice to know that his words were backed by one of the strongest military forces on the planet...

In Data Acquisition

As the dawn broke, the Spartans in Data Acquisition finally saw what had been in store for them... To the east and west, and much too close for comfort, the ground was alive with mindworms. They were now backing off a little, as if they'd been even closer a little while ago. In the distance, rovers were approaching from the north and south. They were slowing down now, as if to say "Chill out, we're not attacking", but they were still closing... Then came the jets, seemingly from all sides at once, criss-crossing the sky all around them. But they did not attack.

Appearently, it was over...

To: Commander Karl Gunther of the Combine Army stationed in Data Acquisition

All right, commander, you have your cease fire.
I guess by now, you will have seen what was about to happen.
Your timely changes have saved a lot of lives this day. Now we can only hope for the rest of our people to continue along the same lines. As you can see, my forces are currently taking up positions around yours. They will stay there until further notice. The rest - as they say - is out of our hands.

They were taking up position within plain sight of the southern gate. Kyla was anxiously watching the Spartans through the "scope" of her targeting system, not knowing what to think... Her weapons were still loaded, armed and ready...

[This message has been edited by Guardian (edited April 30, 2001).]
Old April 30, 2001, 20:50   #112
DarkCloud
staff

OOC: We need someone to take over the Cyborgs- LMP could do it, or someone else-... Argonaut perhaps? Or is XWaste willing to come back?

NOTE: SMAC left the game for an indefinite period and so may come back eventually (1-2 months) or not at all...
Old April 30, 2001, 22:50   #113
[LordLMP]

OOC: Spray, i need response to Colonel Rohrer added propositions. Or else, the 6 Battle Dragon units will attack the base full force.
me? cyborgs? well, maybe indirectly, but like any other Non-Player Factions, i indirectly play them as much as possible, meaning, avoiding as much as possible controlling the leaders to make responses and so on. SMAC didn't give a response as what the Cyborgs would choose...give Inspiration Point back to university, which is now completly assimilated to the Cyborg Faction or simply allow University to control the territory around the base.
Also, better that we decide to what to do for the "peacekeeping" task force that will be sent to patrol some DMZ between the SPartans and Peacekeepers. The Gaians are half way to the eastern continent. and Kane still needs a reply from Lal/Braddock if they can vouch for his units being part of the peacekeeping taskforce.

TO: Admiral Proudmoore, Third Fleet

You are to move in your ships into the channel and find the Spartan Fleet. Do not rush in thought, has they had enough time to deploy mines and your fleet would be in short reach for their Air Force. If the U.N. and Data Angel ships choose to follow, that is fine, but they do not have to.

Nautilus of the Sea

Chiron Sea

After receiving the latest orders, the Pirate formations start to move into the Spartan Channel into both the north and south entrance, caustiously thought.

Old May 1, 2001, 04:05   #114
Sprayber
Emperor

Blast Rifle Crag

Governor Pontas pondered the conditions that the commander had brought up. Essentially she wanted to take over the base. Of course at this point there wouldn't be much resistance from his depleted garrison. But he just couldn't turn the base over without a fight or some kind of guarantee that he and the rest of the people would end up under new masters the next day. And he would not allow the base to be used as a staging area against Sparta. Then an idea began to form in his mind. It might work and it might not, but he had to give it a try. If he had been a typical Spartan the idea probably would not have come to him. But then again if he had been a typical Spartan the base would have been destroyed either by the invader or from his own order. "At this time I would like to express the wish of the citizens of this base to break away from the Spartan Federation. I ask your forces to come into the base as protection against those that seek to prevent us from gaining independence. It would be necessary of course for me and my administration to remain the sole authority in the base. Surly you can understand our desire to be independent of all outside influence. I believe that is included somewhere in the charter you and your men are defending, correct? We intend to defend these newly found liberties against all those that threaten it. Be they from Sparta or from any other faction. One more request of mine. I would like to contact the leader of your alliance. So that I may express my gratitude and intents for the future." Pontas sat down in a chair and poured himself some water and waited for a response. He knew of course that technically he had just committed treason. But he had already long ago quit caring about what happened to himself. He had lived a long life. All that concerned him was the people inside the base.

[OOC: Kessel doesn't know about the situaion with the fleets. He simply wants to be sure that everyone is on the same page.]

To: Captain Svensgard

I have recently come to an agreement with Commissioner Lal as to a cease-fire between our respective forces. Can the Pirates be counted on to honor the cease-fire agreement while efforts are made to come to a more permanent solution to the war?

At first I was against the presence of Believer Peacekeepers in Sparta Command. But after some reflection, I would not be opposed to a small team of Believers acting as intermediaries with other factions. Please remember there can be no armed presence in our capital, but I would have no objections to them coming to Sparta Command unarmed. Just be sure and remind them that interference in our affairs would have unfortunate consequences. I think that the Believers could be an impartial go between with the various factions on Chiron. If the Pirates and the rest of the Chiron Alliance truly wish to bring peace to the planet, then perhaps they should consider an unarmed presence instead of an armed one. I do hope that the precious charter is not threatened by a small group of intermediaries. I await the final determining of the composition of the final peacekeeping forces along the border and call upon the council to officially recognize the cease fire. I would not want there to be any misunderstandings that would jeopardize the accomplishments of those that gave so much to give us all a second chance at peace.

Ruby Ridge Memorial {Data Acq.}

Commander Gunther was looking at the screen that showed the image of the mindworms taking positions outside the base. "You know lieutenant, I really hate those damn things. I mean there just not natural." Switched the view off the mindworms to show the rovers outside the base. Those at least didn't cause his stomach to turn. "lieutenant, do you think that they are bit anxious out there? "I probably would be sir" Gunther turned his chair and looked at the young lieutenant. "Your right lieutenant, I think we all would. Maintain the current level of watch on the base perimeter and have Captain Thane get the remaining civilians ready to depart. The rest will have to walk the distance to the PK lines outside. We have no rovers to spare. And lieutenant, please emphasize to the unit commanders the need to refrain from looting the civilian sector. If we have to leave this place I don't to be slowed down by so much garbage." "Yes sir." "Get me Commander Grafton"

To: Commander Grafton

Yes it is out of our hands. Commencing in two hours from this time the remaining civilians of this base will be allowed safe passage to your lines. They all will be equipped with breathers and any other necessary life support.

Down by the main gate Captain Thane was busy overseeing the preparation of the civilians to leave the base. It was a bitter sweet duty for the Spartan officer. When Gunther had approached him and Gerald about his plan, he was relieved that he had not been the only one to have these thoughts. Thane had done exactly what the Spartan Conduct Code had forbidden. He fell in love with one of the civilian inhabitants. At first Carol would not speak to him. Being an officer in a occupying army was not exactly the kind of person one wanted to fall for after all. But when the first round of executions started he and Gerald had quietly drawn up lists of civilians that were necessary for the continued running of the base. Neither men told anyone and would never tell, but their only regret was that they had not been able to save many more people. Mary however somehow knew of what they had done. She then began to look at Thane in a whole new light. Now she was being forced to leave and even though Thane knew she would be far safer with the Pks, he still wished that she didn't have to leave. Thane felt a tap on his shoulder and turned to see the beautiful face of Mary staring back at him. They were always careful to not show affection where others could see. But this time they could resist. Thane threw his arms around her just to be able to touch her one more time. "I don't want to leave you, Dan." "I know you don't Mary, but commander Gunther has ordered all civilians to leave. Which is the right thing to do. You have to leave here, because if things go wrong this base will be the focus of a large ground and air assault. I won't be able to protect you." "I know. I just don't want to leave here thinking that I will never see you again." "I can't promise you that we will see each other. From what I hear, even if we do get out of here there are battles to be fought in Sparta itself. And those will be far bloodier than this place. Just know that I love you. And when you get to wherever you are going, try and remember the time we had with each other." Mary was in tears and Thane was trying his best not to do the same. "I will Dan. All of it. And we will see each other again" With that Mary kissed the Spartan Captain and turned to go with the other civilians that were beginning to file out gate. Thane watched as she got in line and walked out the door. Without another word he turned around to oversee the ongoing process. Anything as not to think about the woman that he loved walking out the gates and possiby out of his life.

Meanwhile on top of the wall of the main gate sergeant Gains was scanning the PK rovers with his gun sights when he noticed a really beautiful woman emerge from one of the rovers to apparently examine something that was on setting next to one of the wheels. Gains had seen many women in his life by never one that was as stunning as this one. It would be a shame to kill such a beautiful woman. He thought for a minute about how it would be to spend a night with her but was immediately ashamed of himself for thinking about a person that was a girl more than a woman. Well by now she had seen many things that would make anyone grow up fast. He watched as she bent over to retrieve whatever was lying next to the rover tire, Gains whistled quietly. "She is hot. Damn, I wished there was a way to get her attention somehow." Gains then thought of how in training they had taken out the primary igniter in the antitank weapon and made it into a simple launcher. There would be no explosion, just a loud thud when the canister, with a message from him, hit the ground. Taking out the igniter was easy, writing a message would be harder. He waited for the girl to get back in the rover before he started to write.

-------To the unidentified blonde in the lead rover. It is a shame that such a beautiful woman should be forced into war. Although in Sparta it is our way, I am sure that you could have had a far more rewarding life in another line of work. Perhaps some day we could meet in a less stressful conditions. Your admirer Sergeant Alvin Gains, Spartan Combine Army-------

Gains stuffed the message in the canister and dropped it in the barrel of the ATW. He carefully aimed near the rover and squeezed the trigger. He stared in horror as the canister landed near the rover next to the intended target. Great, now the Pks will have a laugh at his expense.

To: The Governors of the Spartan Federation

Dear governors, in an effort to stabilize the morale within Sparta I am restarting the long neglected Spartan Games. Your selection as to those that will represent your bases in the events should be made no later than one month from now. You all know what you will be competing for so I suggest that you get to work on your selections. I remind you that Sparta Command won the last competitions and stands as the favorite to win the next.

Spartan News Channel

Hello fellow Spartans. It has been a long time since our last broadcast and we are happy to be back on the air. To start our first broadcast in sometime is the statement from General's Kessel's office that the Spartan Games has been restarted. This is of particular interest for Sparta Command since the banner still resides in City Hall. For those of you that have forgot let us rundown a brief history of the Spartan Games. The games were started a few years after planet fall when the the third base was founded. They were a way for the citizens from each base to retain close ties and form a sense of community of their new homes. The first games were won by Sparta Command. Command soon went on to win three more times until sergeant Carol Simms lead the team from Hero's Waypoint to an impressive victory over Command in the last day of the competition. Since then Command and Waypoint have combined for twenty victories with Militia Station, Commander's Keep, and Fort Superiority all winning at least two victories. The games include over twenty one separate events including running, boxing, hand to hand combat, archery and a team combat event. Only the best and brightest will be asked to represent their base in the games. There will be two different categories this time around with adult and teen divisions. The Spartan News Channel will of course have coverage of the games as new bases seek to overthrow Command as the reigning champion. Since Sparta Command won the last competition the games will be held here. Everyone that is not on duty is encouraged to watch the beginning of a new era for the Spartan Games.
[This message has been edited by Sprayber (edited May 01, 2001).]
Old May 1, 2001, 20:35   #115
DarkCloud
staff

OOC: Troop amounts Seem good.
Great writing Guardian!

Antimind Broadcasts to Roze

Do not tread where feet do sink
or else you shall find yourself in a mess
do not go further into the island
for Antimind owns the plane
We are reasonable and merely ask
for no pollutants or encroaching upon our lands.
Old May 1, 2001, 23:03   #116
[LordLMP]

OOC: How about establish a Interfactional Peacekeeping Forces? would be like United Nations peacekeepers, without copying the UN Peacekeeper's name. And i see the Chiron Alliance like NATO

I agree with General Kessel of the Spartans, it would be more tolerateble for an unarmed foreign presence in our capitals. Of course, the Nautilus Pirates still oppose the idea in general, I do think it would be acceptable for all factions do establish an Embassy at each others Capitals.

As for the peacekeeping task force, i propose that we should establish a Interfactional Peacekeeping Forces. It would be comprise of units from various factions, but the force will directly under Planetary Council control. Of course, we would have to elect someone (no faction leader) to command such a force, to avoid giving to much power to the Planetary Governor. Their first role of course would be to patrol the a DMZ between the Spartans and Peacekeepers. I suggest we make a decision as quickly as possible, as i do not want to see this council to be drag as long as the previous Planetary Governor election.

Captain Svensgaard

TO: General Kessel, Spartan Federation

As no units of ours is currently engaged with your faction, it is safe to say we are maintening a cease fire aswell.

Captain Svensgaard

Spartan Channel, Chiron Sea

The two Pirate ship groups have entered the channel and have now detected the Spartan Fleet. They will maintain a minimal safe distant from the spartan ships, but they will watch for any mines and aircrafts. In way, they are poking into Spartan waters and see if the spartans will do anything.

OOC: Since the Admiral of the fleet got executed, i would think its a bit disorganized at the moment. So the spartans may decide to fire on the Pirates or not.

Blast Rifle Crag

Colonel Rohrer ponders as to what Governor Pontas said, understanding why he did so. So she tells him that she accepts and will defend the newly independent base. Will respect the bases boundaries and the civilians, but aslong as her units still acquires control of the base's perimeter defence and naval yards. As for contacting Chiron Alliance's leader, there is no sole leader of the alliance, all faction leaders in it have equal power. But she willing to try to get HER leader to contact him, as a representive of the Chiron Alliance of course (of course, the Governor would have to use one of the Units portable comm array). So is it agreed?

OOC: do wrap this up please :P when accepted, the Battle Dragons would have to raise the Chiron Alliance flag (the emblem would be like the United Nations, but with Chiron instead of Earth and Chiron's olive like plant/branchs in the sides)

Old May 2, 2001, 07:57   #117
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

To: Chiron Alliance

Greetings, my friends. As you will have heard by now, we have a cease fire on the Spartan front. Negotiations will be underway shortly. In the meantime, no offensive action should be taken against Spartan forces by any member of this alliance. That is, of course, unless they attack you first, in which case the cease fire will be null and void.

On a different subject, the University of Planet has repeatedly attempted to divide our alliance, offering peace to some of us, but not to all. To this, all I have to say is that Roze and Aki have my full support and that any peace offering that does not include the entire alliance is not a peace offering at all. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

To: Prophet Cha Dawn

Be advised, there is a cease fire on the Spartan front, pending negotiations with the new Spartan government. I thank you for the support you have given us in this conflict, and your forces are welcome to stay until a permanent peace treaty has been successfully negotiated. However, if and when such a treaty is ready, you must either sign it or withdraw your forces. If you are to continue your war against the Spartans, you may not do so from PK territory.

To: General Kane

General, if there is to be an interfactional force to patrol a possible DMZ between our forces and the Spartans, we would gladly accept you and your men as part of it. However, as there is no mandate for such a force as of yet, we will have to await the upcoming negotiations.

On the matter of a peacekeeping task force, this is a great idea, but we already have one!
As we used to say back on Earth, don't try to fix it if it's not broken!
True, the Peacekeeping Forces have been a party in the recent conflict, but only because they were brutally attacked by the outlaw Spartans. True, the Peacekeeping Forces are part of the Chiron Alliance and so technically not truely neutral, but with the kind of neighbors we have had to deal with, what could you expect? Stop trying to push us around and we shall gladly do the job we're here for. There's no need to invent the wheel all over again.

Data Acquisition, outside the southern gate

Kyla had just returned to her position after a short break. She had even been outside the rover for a few moments. She had been just a little bit worried about attracting the unwanted attention of some Spartan sniper... It had gone okay though, and now she was back inside. Putting her helmet back on, she did a quick sweep to see if anything had changed while she'd been away. Yes, there was definitely some kind of activity right there by the main gate... as she watched, the gate opened and more people started pouring out. She zoomed in for a closer look, and sure enough, it looked like the Spartans were actually letting the civillians go, just like they'd said they would. Better keep an eye on this though, just in case...
Then she noticed that the guy on top of the gate seemed to be tinkering with something... like... he was writing some kind of message?? That was odd... As she watched, the man slipped his little note inside a canister and proceeded to load this into his antitank weapon. Then he proceeded to aim the thing in her direction! She tensed, almost squeezing off a few rounds right in the man's face, but something in his expression made her hold off for a few moments... long enough to see that he wasn't actually aiming it at her, or anyone else. He was aiming at the ground somewhere in front of her, and a little off to the right...
He fired... she tried to follow the round's trajectory and was rewarded with a puff of dirt as the canister slammed into the ground a few meters in front of the rover next to hers... Hmmm... what was this?? Could it be a trap of some sort? Well, she'd seen the man write a small note and slip it into the canister before firing it... what could possibly be in there?? Eventually, her curiosity got the better of her and she excused herself and slipped back outside. Moving like a cat, she slipped over to were the canister lay in the dirt and flattened herself against the ground a few feet away from it, then proceeded to poke it with a stick. Nothing. Quickly but gently, she proceeded to pick the thing up and expertly disarm it. Only, it was already disarmed. The primary igniter had been removed. Inside, she found a small note...

quote:

-------To the unidentified blonde in the lead rover. It is a shame that such a beautiful woman should be forced into war. Although in Sparta it is our way, I am sure that you could have had a far more rewarding life in another line of work. Perhaps some day we could meet in a less stressful conditions. Your admirer Sergeant Alvin Gains, Spartan Combine Army-------

What the...?!?
For a moment she just lay there as if frozen, not believing what was happening here... then she caught herself at it and got up in one swift, graceful motion. No good lying around out here looking like she just fell down from the moon or something... Besides, that Spartan was probably still watching her. Looking back up towards the gate, she gave her best shot at a sweet, warm, seductive smile, then she turned around and ran back to the rover...
Back in the rover, she did another quick scan of the situation... Sure enough, that sergeant was still keeping an eye on her rover. As she zoomed in to look at the man's face, she wasn't sure how to feel... He was Spartan! He was the enemy. One of the horrible evil ones... But... he looked so... human... *

Then she was off again to find a hand-held launcher of her own. She would use the same trick to send a reply. Somewhere behind her, the sergeant - her sergeant - was demanding to know what the hell she was up to. She showed him the Spartan's note and his eyes grew big for a moment, then he grinned, chuckled and said "OK, but hurry up and be careful."

She did.
For Kyla, writing the message was the easy part. The problem was to get back out of the rover and aim a launcher back in his direction without getting her head blown off by some other Spartan...
After another quick scan of the various Spartan positions, she found a solution. If she got out and crawled in under the rover, there should be a spot in there between the tires where this sergeant Gains would be the only Spartan who could see her.

Once again, she slipped out of the rover and flattened herself against the ground, crawling in under the rover and taking up position between the tires. Raising the launcher, she carefully aimed it at a spot near the Spartan sergeant and squeezed the trigger.

Inside the canister was a folded note with the following message:

-----
To Sergeant Alvin Gains
Hey, be careful! I almost blew your head off back there...
Your message was received though, and... well, it made for some interesting reading...
Forced into war, eh? Yup, I guess you could put it that way. Funny you should mention it, seeing as how you're one of the people who did it... Would you rather have me sit and wait for somebody to bring a nuclear device to my home and blow the place sky high for no particular reason? One minute, I'm going about minding my own business, the next... KABOOM! I'm lying in some gutter somewhere, all burned and blasted beyond recognition... Pretty cool, huh? Or maybe the nice people who come to my home won't have a nuke... maybe they'll just drop nerve gas all over the place instead? One moment, I'm happily walking down the street... the next, I'm dying horribly and I don't even know why... Or perhaps they'll take me away and execute me in retaliation for some... thing that I know nothing about... -Or, if I'm really lucky, these nice people who even have the nerve to call themselves soldiers might decide to use me as a shield and have me shot to pieces by my own people! Sounds nice, eh? Well, thanks a lot, but no thanks. I have already seen enough of your "Spartan superiority" to keep a well-stocked supply of nightmares for the rest of my life, thank you very much and have a nice day! This is what Sparta is to me, and that is why I'm here.
Sorry to seem unfriendly, but honestly, what did you expect? We're not exactly sharing a romantic dinner out here, are we?
Your enemy corporal Kyla Johnson, U.N. Special Forces, 6th Assault Rovers
-----

As she stood up, brushed the dirt off her uniform and got ready to re-enter the rover, Kyla quietly wondered how the Spartan would take it. Ah well! At least she had been honest with him. After brushing the last grains of dust off the seal on her chest, she turned and saluted the flag on the rover, then opened the door to get back in, half expecting sudden and instant death to hit her out of nowhere before she could make another move.

It did not come.

Old May 2, 2001, 11:38   #118
Sprayber
Emperor

Ruby Ridge Memorial {Data Acq.}

Sergeant Gains read the reply to his message and wasn’t surprised at what he saw. Pity really. But such was the life of a Spartan NCO. He kept the response with him as he was in line to receive his daily ration. It was the same as usual. Just processed protein bars with a little added sauce to make it easier to eat. It kept him alive for the time being. They ate what could be called regular food once a week on a rotating basis. Since all but just a hand full of civilians had left the base already, soldiers filled in where once civilians did all the work. This didn’t matter much. It was better than waiting around in the barracks all day when they wasn’t on duty. Spartans were not trained to sit in bases collecting dust. They were made for day to day activity. Later that day he was leading his squad in their daily run through the base when he decided add some variation to their routine. He took them up the long winding stairs to the top of the outer wall and around to the gate where they were usually stationed. “Ok men, I want to hear you all sound off with some cadence.”

Oh Lal, Look out your window,
Your Human Rights window
Your Pirate backed window
We are the Spartans,
The Mighty, mighty Spartans

Oh Lal, Look out your window
Your rose tinted window
Your prideful window
We are the Spartans
The mighty, mighty Spartans

Gains took his men along the top portion of the gate and then back to the stairs and down on the street level of the base. After reaching the street level, Gains gave the command to stop running and the squad began to march. He then gave another command and they all walked in normal fashion but still in a tight formation. They walked the rest of the way to their barracks and when Gains gave them the command they fell out to hit the showers. When Gains got back to his room, that he shared with another sergeant, he noticed that he had message waiting for him. When he saw that it was from Commander Gunther he immediately got dressed in his uniform and walked out the door to make his way to the Command Center, or what passed for a command center at Ruby Ridge.

Commander Gunther and Captain Thane were in his office, when Sergeant Gains pushed the button to announce his presence. Gunther looked up from his report when he heard the buzzer. “Enter” Gains entered the room and gave a crisp salute “Sergeant Gains reporting as ordered Sir.” Gunther returned the salute. “Stand at ease sergeant. Lieutenant Davis informed me of what you did in relation to a certain message that was passed to the peacekeepers outside. Since you did have the foresight to inform him about what you did. And we did not have to find about it from surveillance cameras, your punishment won’t be as severe as it would normally would be. I have looked at your record and cannot find any examples of reckless behavior in your past service. Except the time you refused to move in on the pocket of PK civilians when you were ordered to. Your reason for not obeying is interesting though. I cannot remember a time when my personal comm unit failed in such an erratic pattern as you claim yours did. It appears to be lucky for you that it was later found to be defective. Again though, I don’t remember having one just fall apart like yours did.” Captain Thane was trying to appear serious, but wanted to laugh at the mention of the failed comm unit. Gunther had indeed used that excuse before. Many times in fact. “But we are not here to talk about past incidents. I will let you off with a stern warning not to let that happen again. We cannot allow any misunderstandings to happen. Is this clear sergeant?” “Yes sir, very clear” “ Good. You are dismissed” Gains saluted, turned and walked out the door. “Never ever heard of a comm unit breaking down unexpectedly, Karl?” Gunther smiled. “Well maybe just a few times Dan. Now tell me about these civilians that refused to leave yesterday.” “Well, they just refused to leave their possessions here to be destroyed. One stated that if he didn’t leave when the Pks were here, he sure as hell wasn’t going to obey a Spartan and leave now.” “Great. That’s all we need. But if they don’t want to leave I’m not going to waste the time and effort to make them. Just make sure that you have someone on them at all times. Keep them together. If they make trouble toss them outside the gate. Let Grafton deal with them. Was there anything else?” “Yes. I am concerned that some of the units still have a strong following for Weiss. Even though he has been sedated and kept locked up, there are a few that may still try and cause trouble. I suggest that we try and weed them out and lock them up as well.” “Agreed, see to it immediately.” They both got up and walked to the door. As the entered the hallway, they heard and felt a loud explosion. They looked at each other and took off running down the hallway to the command room. As soon as Gunther was inside he was assaulted with various stats and information from his various information officers. “Sir there was an explosion in an unoccupied barracks on the the north side of the base. The troops that were supposed to be there had been pulled thirty minutes earlier to patrol section 13. One casualty is reported. Lieutenant Davis has taken some people into custody and left to follow up on a lead.” “Tell Davis to apprehend them alive if possible but not to risk too many men trying to do it. We need some information as to who these people are.” “Right away sir.” “Thane, go down to the front gate and make sure it is secure.” “Yes, Commander.” As Gunther looked at the screen once again showing a large column of smoke rising from a bombed out building, he could help but wonder if any of this was going to turn out good.

Two hours later Gunther was sitting in his chair when Lt. Davis checked in. “Sir we have tracked several of the bombers. We were forced to kill seven of them and managed to capture the rest. After some “persuasion” one of them reveled that another group was going to try something at the main gate. He didn’t know exactly what, but it may be big.” “Davis, You are to remain where you are at. Just in case someone tries to try anything else on your side of the base. Don’t hesitate to use extreme force to stop them.” “Understood sir. Davis out” Gunther turned to the comm officer. “Inform Captain Thane to expect trouble at the front gate. And send reinforcements to his position. Remind them that he will be in charge.” “Right away sir”

Ten minutes earlier at the front gate however the rogue Spartan units were already in position. Seven men walked up to a missile rover parked a hundred meters from the gate. They quietly keyed the locks and stepped inside the rover and began to power it up. On the other side of the compound Thane happened to see the men get in the rover. He started to go over there and ask what they were doing. But he stopped in his tracks and got on his comm unit. He wisely called in for extra support. About the time a squad of men got to his position, the rovers lights came on and a pair of missiles fired from the top torrent. The wall crumpled under the force of the missiles. If it had been hit from the outside, many more missiles would have been needed. But the missiles had hit a weak point in the gates and blew them apart. The rover kicked up dust as it accelerated towards the now exposed outside. The Spartan ground unit tried to stop it but the rover was too fast and too armored to be stopped by small arms. It cleared the outside gate and headed right towards the PK lines. Thane was horrified at the possibilities that were just minutes away. He activated his comm unit had sent a message to those on top of the wall. “Destroy outgoing rover at all costs. “ Just as he said that two rovers from his backup force came roaring past him in an attempt to catch the rogue rover. “Target the lead rover only, repeat. Target the lead rover only. On top of the wall Gains and his squad heard the transmissions. Gains and a private each grabbed an ATW and locked on the lead rover. The rover had already passed the first boundary marker and was just a minute away from the nearest PK rovers. Gains and the private both squeezed on the triggers and two streams of light trailed off towards the front rover. One hit the front portion of the rover and the second missile hit the torrent. The rover turned over once and landed with the front facing the base. The lead rover of the pursuing unit fired as well and totally destroyed the rover. The unit stopped by the burning rover to check for survivors. Two men crawled out from underneath the burning rover. One was picked up by one of the pursuing Spartans and the other began to resist as he was picked up. Instead of trying further, the Spartan officer pulled his weapon and fired a single shot towards the mans head. This ended all resistance. One of the sergeants placed a detonator on the remaining hulk and got back in his rover. As the two rovers backed up and turned around, the remains of the rover was destroyed by a blinding explosion. The two rovers turned off their guidance computers and slowly made their way back inside the base. Gains stood up and watched as the two rovers entered the base and crews went to work patching up the gaping hole in the gate. He thought to himself that he should get used to shooting at other Spartans. Because if they ever got out of this damned base, there would be plenty of other opportunities for it.

To: Commander Grafton

I hope the recent incident that occurred this day does not damage our fragile peace. Rest assured that further events such as this will not happen again.

Blast Rifle Crag

Pontas thought about the situation and finally put is signature on the data pad that bore the terms of the agreement. As he stared at the commander, he couldn’t help but think that she could have made a fine Spartan officer. But decided not to make the observation out loud. When he had finished signing the pad, he simply stated that he was returning to prepare the base to receive the “guests” and would await the opportunity to talk to their leader and the planetary council when the troops arrived inside the base. That night as the troops were entering the base, Pontas looked to the south. Towards Sparta. To his home. He didn’t know what was happening there. He silently hoped that he would be able to talk to someone there soon. But in their eyes he would be a traitor and would be striped of his place among the Spartan honored. He then thought about his friend Kessel. If things were bad, he knew Kessel would be one of the first to be hunted down.

[This message has been edited by Sprayber (edited May 02, 2001).]
Old May 2, 2001, 22:12   #119
Natan
Prince

Central Committee conference room, the Hive
"So, gentleman, what do you make of this?" Yang was standing up as he spoke the council. "Miriam doesn't elaborate her ideas very well, but it seems she wants a "peacekeeping force" composed of members of her faction and the Gaians to keep the peace. It's purpose, nature, function, and size have not been explained at all." The minister of Security rose to speak. "Obviously we are completely opposed to any assault on our soveriegnty. Miriam is just looking for a chance to spread bibles and sedition. There's obviously something in this for her, or she wouldn't want to waste her troops on it. But you know all this, yet you did not categorically reject this proposal. What do you know which we do not, Chairman?" His tone went from loud and forceful to soft and accomodating in the course of his speaking. When he was finished, he sat down. Then Yang spoke. "Perhaps the minister of Foriegn Affairs would like to adress thsi point?" The minister of foriegn affairs rose to his feet to speak, but Yang remained standing throughout. "Our political situation is precarious. We have no reliable allies, and four current enemies. Things may run as expected with the Spartans, but even then, we need more allies. Miriam is a natural ally because she is far enough way to stay out of our way and shares our feelings on the peacekeepers. So an alliance with her may well be worth the effort." The minister sat down, and Yang spoke again. "I know that Miriam is no dummy, but I also know that her motives are not rational, and her understanding of our society is far from complete. I suggest that we vote in favor of this peacekeeping force, once we get some clarification on its size and purpose. But only in return for some favors from Miriam. I have called you here today to formulate our response to Miriam and our speech before council."
Natan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2001, 07:12   #120
Sprayber
Emperor

Commissioner Lal I am anxious to set a date for the beginning of peace talks. An agreement on the composition of a peacekeeping force should therefore be made quite soon. As a further sign of my good faith I am ordering the Spartan Naval Fleet to make best speed to Assassin’s Redoubt . They will be given orders not to stop for anything. I simply cannot leave them without proper provisions any longer. To show that this is not a trick I encourage you and your allies to follow them as they make their way. I think you can understand how it is to be concerned about your men and women in the service. They have been stuck out in that dreadful channel for far too long. I will allow for a days time as to give you ample time to contact your commanders and those of your allies to make the appropriate arrangements. Not only are my men suffering but each day that goes by that the navies are in the same vicinity there is a change that something disastrous could happen. I also must warn you that the channel is heavily mined. No doubt that your commanders have deduced this already. Just be aware of this so that your ships are not accidentally damaged.

[OOC: I edited Commander's Keep to read Assassin's Redoubt.]

To: Captain West of the SNS Crippler

Captain West you are to wait 24 hours from the time you receive this message and then you are to take the fleet and proceed directly to Assassin’s Redoubt . As the senior officer in the vicinity you have been given temporary command of the fleet as of right now. You are not to engage any vessels of any kind. Your are not to stop for any matter until you reach Assassin’s Redoubt . Most likely you will be shadowed by the Alliance fleet. You are to keep a watch out for them but not to engage in any actions that would be considered hostile. You are of course authorized to defend yourself if you are attacked. Whatever happens you are not to allow a Spartan vessel to be boarded by anyone but Spartans. When you reach Assassin’s Redoubt we will talk about a promotion. I am counting on you to get the fleet home while we talk about ending this war.

[This message has been edited by Sprayber (edited May 03, 2001).]