View Poll Results: Who shall be our new Domestic Minister
OctavianX 8 44.44%
Kloreep 10 55.56%
The Immortal Banana 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10, 2003, 11:19   #1
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 13:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
By-Election: Domestic Minister
Here it is at last - sorry for the delay, but I tend to go idle just as things are going to happen here - that's life.

Anyways, time to vote in someone from these highly enthusiastic and qualified nominees to succees UnOrthOdOx as Domestic Minister for the remainder of Term I (until the month end).

Your candidates are:

OctavianX
Kloreep

and, as always,

the Immortal Banana.

You have 3 days, as I think we should give the new DM time to settle in a little before his first turnchat!

EDIT: I merged threads so we didn't lose Aidun's questions. I think the poll is reset to three days, and this is the corret one, so don't disreagerd it.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; May 10, 2003 at 19:36.
Old May 10, 2003, 13:49   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 20:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i was under the impression that Aro wasn't running, as he said "I support Octavian X."
Old May 10, 2003, 14:21   #3
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i was under the impression that Aro wasn't running, as he said "I support Octavian X."
Uber is right. I'm not running.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
If we survive... AND nobody else shows up...I'm in.
Sorry, I wasn't so participative in this forum... I should be more clear. Shame on me!

Anyway, now we have two great candidates...
Tough decision!
Old May 10, 2003, 16:34   #4
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 03:11
Isn't it possible to create a new poll? Aro has two votes while he is not a candidate. I can imagine that the persons who voted on him like to vote again on one of the orther candidates.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old May 10, 2003, 17:05   #5
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Or they can just PM MWIA changing their votes...
I'm really sorry...

Aidun, your avatar... Fantastic! What is it? It seems to be some baroque building, a church, maybe?
Old May 10, 2003, 18:23   #6
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Thanks. It is the papal crown (its a pity we can't have larger avatars. The papal crown is hard to recognise in this way) because I am the first pope in the PTW team DG. His holiness Pope Aidun I, sounds nice, doesn't it? Not to mention all the flattery of people to stay in a good relation with me.
You should have become one of us, would have been fun.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Last edited by Aidun; May 10, 2003 at 18:29.
Old May 10, 2003, 18:38   #7
Aidun
Emperor

A request to the candidates: please tell me why I and all the other voters should vote for you.
- What are your qualities?
- What do you indend to do as domestic minister?
- Do you want a rapid expansion strategy or a slower building strategy?
- And last but not least: why we should not vote for your opponent. What's wrong about him, why is he less than you are?

I expect a heavy debate between you two.

Aidun
Old May 10, 2003, 19:20   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

By-Election - Domestic Minister
Here it is at last - sorry for the delay, but I tend to go idle just as things are going to happen here - that's life.

Anyways, time to vote in someone from these highly enthusiastic and qualified nominees to succees UnOrthOdOx as Domestic Minister for the remainder of Term I (until the month end).

Your candidates are:

OctavianX
Kloreep

and, as always,

the Immortal Banana.

You have 3 days, as I think we should give the new DM time to settle in a little before his first turnchat!

Old May 10, 2003, 20:33   #9
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 21:11
Gentlemen, as assistant DM for your predissor, I am waiting to see what plans either of you have for the remainder of this term. I suggest each of you download the latest save (with our third city Iznek and a settler who was going to found city site Blue in the master plan), and come up with some revised plans for our future.

Other concerns - city naming
Worker use strategies
City placement strategies
city production schedule
city protection and happyness (if you want to make it to size 3 and be productive, you need 2 police as we are on deity)

I will be available for any and all help or assistance, on and off, for the next couple of days. I am eagerly awaiting to see your proposals.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old May 10, 2003, 20:43   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i want to know your opinions / strategies for woodchopping, because a productive boost would get me more archers.
Old May 11, 2003, 01:09   #11
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I'll post tomorrow; for now, me need sleep. Sorry to keep you all waiting, but at least it lasts 3 days.
Old May 11, 2003, 15:15   #12
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aidun
A request to the candidates: please tell me why I and all the other voters should vote for you.
- What are your qualities?
I guess you mean qualifications. I've been Legoland's MB for around a month (term length and elections this term are pending being rescheduled after the crash, so I don't know exactly how long I've been MB now). It's taught me a lot about how production, growth, and general city mechanics work, and I've gotten much better at shaving off turns and saving commerce and food.

Quote:
- What do you indend to do as domestic minister?
- Do you want a rapid expansion strategy or a slower building strategy?
If conquest counts as rapid expansion, that's my position. We need to build some Archers and carve up the Ottoman "empire". So definitely not slow building; that won't work against all the AI bonuses.

Quote:
- And last but not least: why we should not vote for your opponent. What's wrong about him, why is he less than you are?
He doesn't have a cat avatar? I don't really know what OctavianX's abilities are, so I can't say anything here until I see his campaign.

Quote:
I expect a heavy debate between you two.
I'll do my best.

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Gentlemen, as assistant DM for your predissor, I am waiting to see what plans either of you have for the remainder of this term. I suggest each of you download the latest save (with our third city Iznek and a settler who was going to found city site Blue in the master plan), and come up with some revised plans for our future.

Other concerns - city naming
Worker use strategies
City placement strategies
city production schedule
city protection and happyness (if you want to make it to size 3 and be productive, you need 2 police as we are on deity)
I have a general outline below. I'll try to get a more specific schedule up later.

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing I will be available for any and all help or assistance, on and off, for the next couple of days. I am eagerly awaiting to see your proposals.
Thank you.

Okay... here's my analysis and plans:
Our goal is to quickly REX the area around Asgard, after which we'll build Barracks and churn out Archers to attack the Ottomans. Asgard and Trondheim are both good production cities and will serve this purpose well. Our new acquisition, Iznik, is a different matter; while corruption isn't a problem, this city has been mercilessly poprushed (thrice!) by its Ottoman oppressors. (Try setting Lux at 100%, then changing the amount of commerce being produced in Iznik; it needs two luxury happy faces for the citizen to become content, and the city already has one content face from the garrison. The citizen still isn't happy at 3 faces, though, which is odd... not sure why that is. The third commerce isn't lost to corruption. It could be luxes are applied before garrison faces, and thus the three happy faces make the citizen content and the garrison's content face has no effect on the citizen.) At any rate, Iznik isn't going to be productive for a chat or two (or three), so the bonus grass it will lose to Blue City isn't any loss; it won't be able to work that tile anytime soon.

Happiness is a definite problem, and as we start expanding our ring of cities and they begin to grow, I think we should run the lux slider at 10% as needed till we have more units for garrison duty. We may lose some commerce to unneeded happiness, but thanks to the river, most of the citizens that are sent to work due to luxes will gain one commerce back for us.

As for plans: I would change some of the builds. Iznik should build a warrior (completes in half the time compared to other units, would help with happiness for that city or any other in which it's garrsioned). Trondheim, I'd change to a Barracks, then back to the spear. It won't need the extra garrison till 9 turns from now when it grows, and the barracks+spear will only take 8 turns build. Asgard would keep building a settler, then build a spear (also well in time for garrison duty if the warrior isn't available then). This would make the spear from Trondheim delayed but vet, and Iznik's warrior could make the city productive as soon as ten turns from now, if at least one pop rush weariness is gone by then.

Future plans after that: Apolyton and Trondheim would keep building twenty-shield units (I would prefer mostly spears at first, though I will give the SMC final say over choice of units if they're the same price). One settler each from Asgard and Trondheim (after the current one from Asgard) would let us build the Yellow and Red sites. Yellow and red will be decent producers once they grow, though not immediately useful due to a lack of bonus grass. (I will of course come up with a more concrete plan later).

On naming: I'll probably do a combination of the most popular options in the opinion poll: poll on city names, but let each minister choose the options for a city each. If we somehow get our sixth city before next term, or if a minister doesn't want to choose the options, I'll have an open nomination thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i want to know your opinions / strategies for woodchopping, because a productive boost would get me more archers.
On forest chopping: it's a good idea in principle, but hard to time, and it could keep our limited workforce from building needed improvements. It could also deprive us of the ability to turn food into shields later on when our cities reach 3 pop. But the forests E and SE-SE (6 and 33 in keypad parlance) won't be used under Donegeal's tight spacing plans, so they would be candidates for eventual chopping, though I don't want to chop them now; our slave workers should head NE-N-W and then W to mine & road the bonus grass by blue city after finishing the current mine. The native worker could possibly chop a forest for Trondheim. Generally, I view forest chopping as a nice one-time boost to use when there aren't unimproved tiles to mine. Improvement should take precedence over chopping; it'll have more affect long-term.

Questions? Comments?
Old May 11, 2003, 15:28   #13
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 19:11
At first glance, I think we can squeeze out two more gold from our cities. Switch the entertainer in Inznik to a scientist, turn the scientist in Asgard into a tax collector, then place on of Asgard's laborers on the mine down by the river to produce one more commerce. Asgard's production drops by one as a result, but it doesn't matter either since either way it's settler will be done next turn.

In reponse to Aidun: Qualities? Perfectionism, and an attention to details. As domestic minister, I intend to ensure we survive the next few turnchats, and set up our nation for eventual victory. I prefer rapid expansion, seeing as that's the only chance in hell we'ed have to win considering our neighbors. Lastly, I do intend on slandering Kloreep.

To GodKing: I think, at last I checked, the city plans previously voted upon will work fine. The blue site will work well. After the blue site is built, we'll consider our new maps to plan the next few sites. We may want to plan on a city in those northern hills to get our hands on iron.
Worker use - connecting cities shoud be on a high priority to get soldiers out to the frontline asap. Then, build mines where necessary to bump up production, and only occasionally irrigate, etc. for growth (like on a cow or wheat tile).
Production should be concentrated on spears/archers and settlers, the two keys to survival.
On happiness - considering the cost of units, it won't hurt us to spend two gold to raise the lux rate to 10%.
City naming - on some sort of viking theme, as suggested by the citizens.

Uber - roaded forests are good for production. We'll clear selectively to get troops when needed.
Old May 11, 2003, 15:46   #14
Kloreep
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
At first glance, I think we can squeeze out two more gold from our cities. Switch the entertainer in Inznik to a scientist, turn the scientist in Asgard into a tax collector, then place on of Asgard's laborers on the mine down by the river to produce one more commerce. Asgard's production drops by one as a result, but it doesn't matter either since either way it's settler will be done next turn.
I think it would be better to raise the lux slider to 10% this turn and assign Asgard's third worker to the tile S of the city. This will bring in two more commerce to make up for the amount spent on lux, and will give Asgard two more food in the box. Iznik would, of course, house a scientist. So, compared to your plan for 2070, we'd gain one less gold in exchange for two food in Asgard.

Quote:
Lastly, I do intend on slandering Kloreep.
Okay then.

Quote:
Worker use - connecting cities shoud be on a high priority to get soldiers out to the frontline asap. Then, build mines where necessary to bump up production, and only occasionally irrigate, etc. for growth (like on a cow or wheat tile).
Road, then mine? Which are we doing first: fighting the war or building our troops?

Unless it drops corruption (which we don't have to worry about much right now; on this huge map distance corruption with tight spacing is virtually nonexistant, and the OCN is fairly high - around 22), mines should come first to raise our production, then roads.

Quote:
Production should be concentrated on spears/archers and settlers, the two keys to survival.
Agreed. Cut settler production after two more (not counting the current Asgard settler), three more if we need to secure iron in the north.
Old May 11, 2003, 19:48   #15
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Kloreep! Kloreep! Kloreep!

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper
Old May 11, 2003, 19:54   #16
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 21:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Odin
Kloreep! Kloreep! Kloreep!

Ah. That'll do it
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old May 12, 2003, 01:40   #17
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

That's what I need, a legion of undying supporters...
Old May 12, 2003, 09:24   #18
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
He doesn't have a cat avatar?
Wow! You got my vote! :grin:
Old May 12, 2003, 10:46   #19
Aidun
Emperor

Go mud throwing and make it a show.

Aidun
Old May 13, 2003, 22:33   #20
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Congratulations Kloreep - you are the new DM. And well done to OctavianX - you showed us a good race.

Now, Kloreep - the next chat is within 24 hours. Please tell us you are able to make it and I hope you can hit the ground running. WhiteBandit will need you in the latest turns.

Old May 13, 2003, 23:02   #21
Kloreep
Emperor

If I read the times and dates right, that's actually wednesday US time, right? Yeah, I should be able to make that.
Old May 13, 2003, 23:04   #22
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Congrats, Kloreep!
And OctavianX, nice race! No mud, unfortunately...
But nice.
Old May 14, 2003, 02:10   #23
Octavian X
King

Believe me, I've been beaten worse in other elections.

Not to worry, though. Now I plan to hound everybody about the non-existant court system...
Old May 15, 2003, 15:40   #24
Aidun
Emperor

Congrats Kloreep!

Octavian X, the people have trust in you , try again next time .

Court system... interesting...

Aidun

Last edited by Aidun; May 15, 2003 at 15:49.