Old May 11, 2003, 10:34   #61
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Re: Re: Stupid patriotic Americans
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Only two Presidents since Eisenhower have had actual combat service.
Bush senior and...?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 11, 2003, 10:38   #62
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:13
Re: Stupid patriotic Americans
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
This country is way to patriotic. First off, I'm not over patriotic. You'd probably call me crazy for saying this. That thread saying we are the best country was one of the dumbest things I've ever done. Also, it sounded much worse than I intended it to. I don't go around bragging that my country is the best, but it sounded like it, which wasn't what I wanted. And finally, when I say the US is the best country in the world it doesn't mean anything to me. It's a label that doesn't matter. I believe Americans are no better than anyone else in the world, I don't like our president, I was opposed to the war in Iraq, and I understand how arrogant we are.

With that out of the way I'll tell a story that is an outrage. I live in a town about 30 miles away from Spokane. During the period before the War in Iraq when Germany was doing the smart thing and trying to stop the war the German teacher and a couple of German foreign exchange students at a school in Spokane received hate letters saying "Go back home you Nazi."

Another thing that I hate so much is the patriotic idiots who live around me. Everyone makes very cruel jokes about France for opposing the war and are boycotting French products are defacing their culture by calling French fries 'Freedom Fries'. Our country is so stupid because everytime someone opposes something we do we get mad at and threaten to cut off their foreign aid and other stuff like that. So we do whatever we want because we're special.

Another thing that pisses me off is the fact that we expect people to do something wrong just because we've helped them in the past. If a friend of yours has been very kind to you in the past and has done a whole lot for you and then asks you to help him to do something wrong, should you have to do it?

I wish we could save all of our patriotic thoughts for the 4th of July, party a lot and say we're the best and then have all of it overwith.
\

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 11, 2003, 11:17   #63
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 21:13
Re: Re: Re: Re: Stupid patriotic Americans
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Bush senior and...?
JFK.
Old May 11, 2003, 11:28   #64
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I think everyone knows my policy on Patriotism vs Jingoism... I don't understand the need to profess the love for one's country in such an excessive manner. I love my mother, but am not about to go:

M O M --- M O M --- M O M --- M O M

I think excessive pride and displays of patriotism are probably due to some sort of inadequecies.
Old May 11, 2003, 11:35   #65
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I don't get it. I start a thread saying we're the best, and everyone gets pissed off for me being overpatriotic. Then I start a thread saying we're overpatriotic and it turns into a God Bless the USA thread.

I too think this thread is impressive. Thank you for opening it, because I can see the moronity that seems to subjugate your country every day
Old May 11, 2003, 11:50   #66
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Don't worry Spiff, we're getting better. I hope.
Old May 11, 2003, 11:52   #67
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 17:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

So do you think only the real men that saw combat can decide national policy? Because that's what you're saying. The hawks that never saw combat don't have the right to do it, and the doves that never saw combat neither have the right to do it, nor want to do it. Only the real hardcore supertroopers have the right to determine policy.
No, as LoneWolf understood, it's common for conservatives to denigrate whiny liberals for not having any military service, while conservative leaders also don't have any military service. So if it's an issue, it's an issue for the whole ideological spectrum, and if it's not an issue, it's not an issue for the whole ideological spectrum.

However, now that you mention it... Foreign policy run by the D-boys would be kinda interesting...
Old May 11, 2003, 11:55   #68
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

That's why Eisenhower was such a great president. I may not have agreed with him 100% on every little political issue, but the man had integrity, and his military experience gave him a great perspective on the use of military force:

Quote:
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, is a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children... This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross." --Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953
I think this gives us a good idea what Ike would think about the Neo-Cons and their destructive, self-serving foreign policy.
Old May 11, 2003, 11:56   #69
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
(magnificent creatures, btw. )
Actually, bald eagles are bastards. One of their common hunting tactics is to let ospreys (also called "fish hawks" in the US) catch a fish, then the higher flying (and quite a bit larger) eagle dive bombs the osprey, scaring the crap out of it and making it drop the fish, which the eagle then takes. Now if there's any symbolic linkage to it being the national bird....
Old May 11, 2003, 12:05   #70
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

MtG
Old May 11, 2003, 12:33   #71
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 19:13
Quote:

No, as LoneWolf understood, it's common for conservatives to denigrate whiny liberals for not having any military service, while conservative leaders also don't have any military service. So if it's an issue, it's an issue for the whole ideological spectrum, and if it's not an issue, it's not an issue for the whole ideological spectrum.

However, now that you mention it... Foreign policy run by the D-boys would be kinda interesting...
These kinds of guys are the ones that attacked the ex-democract senator from georgia as somehow "weak on defense" and "not patriotic". Yes, the guy who lost three limbs in Vietnam knew nothing about service and sacrifice....

Personally, I don;t think Military service makes one any better a national leader than not, as long as, when in dealing with military matters, you accept the advice of those that have served in making choices. The demand for martial leaders is a common sight for populism and a dangerous one for democracy.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 11, 2003, 13:42   #72
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I think everyone knows my policy on Patriotism vs Jingoism... I don't understand the need to profess the love for one's country in such an excessive manner. I love my mother, but am not about to go:

M O M --- M O M --- M O M --- M O M

I think excessive pride and displays of patriotism are probably due to some sort of inadequecies.
When I went to a Spurs game a few weeks ago, in the opening.. uh... I guess you would call it 'ceremony', the lights were turned off as spot lights and other colored lightrs were flashed around the stadium while the pep squad ran out onto the floor waving a giant spurs flag. On the Jumbo Tron it flashed "GO SPURS, GO!" with which the crowd chanted (or screamed at the top of their lungs rather) in unison. All the while the spurs dance team was doing some showwy routine and the announcer was introducing the players as they ran onto the floor... "Number 21 at 7 feet tall....TIIIIIIIIIM DUUNCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!"

My point being that the showy patriotism is litle different than whats done as team spirit at various professional sports, colleges, and High Schools across the country. Its probable that this "team spirit" is just ingrined in our culture through these activities, 'ceremonies', and traditions.

Even though i find it rediculous, at hte same time the show of emotion and such has sent chills down my spine. However, i usually end up feeling embarassed for those outgoing fans and supporters who make fools of themselves, in my opinion. But i must remember that to others of their same mind set, they are heroes, not fools.
Old May 11, 2003, 13:49   #73
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

amazingly, the leftists don't got no problems with Iraqi and/or Arab patriotism... and that patriotism is not simple being proud of your country... that brand is aggressive
Old May 11, 2003, 13:55   #74
Spiffor

AS :
Had I belonged to a forum with as many Iraqis as there are Yanks here, I would probably have raised an eyebrow or two to Iraqi nationalism, too.

But here is a place with plenty of Yanks, and the uberpatriotism you can witness worldwide comes from Yankland. If you want to start a thread about the Iraqi/Arab nationalism, go ahead. It will of course be less heated than this here one, but I doubt many leftists will laudate the Iraqi nationalism
Old May 11, 2003, 14:01   #75
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
amazingly, the leftists don't got no problems with Iraqi and/or Arab patriotism... and that patriotism is not simple being proud of your country... that brand is aggressive
That is a good point. I never hear much criticism form certain people when Palestinians are dancing in the streets over a dead martyr or baby or something, but they are a bag full of wind when it comes to Americans
Old May 11, 2003, 14:02   #76
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Who said "leftists" don't have a problem with Iraqi patriotism? You?

BUt we are not even talking about Patriotism in general: we are talking about a corrosive type of Patriotism, a blind one that if anything, specially in this country, undermines the very fatherland (Patria) and its values you think you support.

There was a time when people found making the American flag into a piece of cloathing offensive: now we have "patriots" putting up pictures of flag bikini's as some "show of Patriotism", as opposed to, say, a show of horniness.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 11, 2003, 14:03   #77
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Spiffor: Learn to recognize humorous posts. I don't worship and pray to an American flag. The post that I made was done to make light of this silly troll thread, and the thing bombing another country was joke, you didn't get it but I believe many of the posts here were simply made to spite the thread starter.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old May 11, 2003, 14:13   #78
Spiffor

Shi :
I think most of the posts here were humorous (notably Ted Striker's ones), but I think it reflects what crap you Yank are exposed to.
Chanting "USA USA USA" seems to be an ordinary occurence in your country. In mine, I've never seen it except during football matches.

I've been to FFZ today and I have been terribly saddened (again) by the amount of stupid self-rigteousness and bellybutton-gazing that I have seen there. Even though most 'Poly posters can put things in perspective, notably because they talk to non-Americans on a daily basis, ignorant uberpatriotism seems to be a feat very specific to the US.
Old May 11, 2003, 14:26   #79
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
So tell me something, poser. How it be dat you speak English when you posted two years ago, but now you don't be speak no English but you got to be speak Ebonics to show us all what a bad ass street mofo you are, posting on the net.
Old May 11, 2003, 14:51   #80
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

I am 43 years old and have been stationed around the world during my military days. I read magazine and newspapers, I have been to other countries as a civilian.

I love the USA and while we are not a perfect country we are the best country to live in, IMHO..not anyone elses ..but MINE..ok..I am not trolling bstating this, but merely posting an opinion....that being said, Pacific Ocean to the Left...Atlantic Ocean to the Right, Mexico to the South and Oh Canada to the Great White North.

Ifin you dont like the USA and Patriotism, pick a direction and flee somewhere that suits ya!

Me, I'll stand beside Lee Greenwood and with my Redneck, white socks and Blue..Ribbon..well..I dont drink no more, but you get the picture, Love it or leave it, no border gaurds telling you you have to stay....

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old May 11, 2003, 14:53   #81
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:

Actually, bald eagles are bastards. One of their common hunting tactics is to let ospreys (also called "fish hawks" in the US) catch a fish, then the higher flying (and quite a bit larger) eagle dive bombs the osprey, scaring the crap out of it and making it drop the fish, which the eagle then takes. Now if there's any symbolic linkage to it being the national bird....
Better eagle than turkey...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 11, 2003, 14:56   #82
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Quote:

MtG..I did not know that about the Eagle..hmm..VERY SMART Creature, Bastard or not, to have someone else do the leg-work and then reap the rewards for anothers hard work, yup..sound like the American Corporate machine hard at work

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old May 11, 2003, 15:55   #83
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
USA! USA! USA! USA!

I SAID USA FOUR TIME SO I'M MORE PATRIOTIC THAN ANYBODY

USA IS SO SWEET I COULD CRAP MY PANTS! I LOVE USA WITH EVERY PART OF MY BODY INCLUDING MY PEE PEE! I WILL NOW PROVE MY LOVE FOR USA WITH MY INSANELY PATRIOTIC EAGLES!

USA! USA! USA! USA!
Stefu is hardcore!!

USA!

Mis Novias
Old May 11, 2003, 16:00   #84
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
Quote:
Still, they look pretty. The fact that they're bastards, is beyond the point.
Old May 11, 2003, 16:41   #85
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 01:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Troll

Ifin you dont like the USA and Patriotism, pick a direction and flee somewhere that suits ya!
I always thought the greatest freedom we enjoyed was the ability to criticise our government free from threats or repercussions from governments and fellow citizens.

I guess the Dixie Chicks and Tim Robbins learned the hard way that wasn't the case, so they better pack their bags, eh??
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old May 11, 2003, 16:47   #86
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker

Stefu is hardcore!!

USA!

Does Stefu have the mark?

He may be the ONE that the ancient scrolls prophesized.

If so, then he is the ONE. The ONE who will lead the ancient and venerable Society of UberAmericanPatriots

ALL HAIL STEFU!
Old May 11, 2003, 16:48   #87
Chemical Ollie
King

Patriotism is OK in my opinion, but blind patriotism sucks. Here's something for the "morans":

Old May 11, 2003, 16:48   #88
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Uh DetroitDave, some citizens didn't like what Tim Robbins and the Dixie Chicks had to say.

They expressed their opinions about it.

Is that not the same freedom you are talking about?

Or should they be denied that right because you don't agree with them?

Mis Novias
Old May 11, 2003, 16:48   #89
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Dixie Chicks
Quote:
better pack their bags, eh??
yes
Old May 11, 2003, 16:51   #90
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Dixie Chicks, Martin Sheen, Steven Spielberg and whoever can give their opinion.
They're entitled.

But I'm the one that spends my money.