Old May 12, 2003, 01:34   #211
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
We just have the biggest loudspeaker (among other things).

Mis Novias
Old May 12, 2003, 01:35   #212
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 20:14
Every country that is in a position to do something to help their own self interest does it... and they always justify it with some crap or another... Nothing new... It's been going from the start of time and will continue.

Your point?
Old May 12, 2003, 01:35   #213
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
We just have the biggest loudspeaker (among other things).
You don't even need one ...

Edit: added quote

Last edited by alva; May 12, 2003 at 01:42.
Old May 12, 2003, 01:38   #214
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Every country that is in a position to do something to help their own self interest does it... and they always justify it with some crap or another... Nothing new... It's been going from the start of time and will continue.

Your point?
My point is that many of your countrymen, starting from certain posters in this tread believe all that BS. Nothing more nothing less.

What's your point Ming?

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 12, 2003, 01:40   #215
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:

Yes, the US is guilty as charged... Just like most other countries...
Which totally undercuts the cheerleading "we're sooo ****ing noble, you should be grateful" cheerleading BS."

People don't do this "Amurka, love it or leave it" USA USA USA crap on the basis of "we're self-interested SOB's, we're just more successful at it than you are." If people were honest that their patriotism was really schlong waving about economic power, nobody would care. It's the nobility and goodness crap that makes other people puke.
Old May 12, 2003, 01:45   #216
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yeah MtG... some people are a "tad" overboard with it

I just think it's a crock when people think all americans are like that. Many of us aren't.
Old May 12, 2003, 01:49   #217
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

I just think it's a crock when people think all americans are like that. Many of us aren't.
and who said all of you are that got you all jumpy?

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 12, 2003, 01:50   #218
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

My schlong waving is recognition of having a big schlong.

Mis Novias
Old May 12, 2003, 01:52   #219
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
and who said all of you are that got you all jumpy?
From reading through these forums... you can see that some people do

Every country has their fair share of ignorant fools... The US is no different
Old May 12, 2003, 03:38   #220
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:14
Quote:
I find it incredible that you continue to Paint everybody because of what a few have done.

Most people aren't saying they don't have a right to express their opinion. Most people are saying that if you do express your opinion, you should be ready to accept what happens because you have done so.
Is that so? So how come lots and lots of neocons keep on sprouting "Love it or Leave it?" Wasn't it GWB who said "You are either with us or with them?"

Old May 12, 2003, 04:19   #221
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 02:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Right wing nuttiness! The problem with this post and the original post by John C. MacLeod are that it assumes that a belief that America is good and can do good is right wing nuttiness. Patriotism does not believe that United States is better than other countries and that Americans are better than other people. It believes in certain general principles such as democracy and human rights. We patriotic Americans are willing to fight for freedom, for ourselves for the sake of others. We are willing to fight and die to liberate people being oppressed by a Nazi dictator. We welcome the support of others in the world who believe the same as we do. This is inclusive, non exclusive. Our patriotism is a belief that we can do good and have done good in liberating Iraq. When we succeed in liberating a people and bringing them freedom and justice from oppression and murder, we are proud. Such is American patriotism.
Get a brain.

You know, it would be easy to find a parallel to this drivel in Nazi propaganda, but the hostorical context isn't correct. Much better to look for french and british rants justifying colonialism. You know, eg from the early 1880s on, Britain spent about 40 years bringing civilization, freedom and democracy to Egypt....
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Last edited by HershOstropoler; May 12, 2003 at 04:25.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:51   #222
Ned
King

HO, et al., well it is clear that there are cynics here in the United States who support a foreign policy based solely on economic and security interests and who see nothing in American ideals that are worthy of pride. But, clearly, the Flag-waving Americans do not think this way. This is not to say that economic interests and security interest are not also important foreign-policy considerations. We just do not believe they should be given primacy unless the threat is overwhelmingly clear -- such as we see in Osama bin Laden.

As the your status, HO, as an Austrian and your raising the issue of Nazi Germany, if it wasn't for America and her foolish, brain-dead ideals, you today would be living in the Third Reich. It is almost offensive for someone in your country to snicker at American patriotism.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:03   #223
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
Ned, I think that is not solid.. about Austrian people not being able to think what they want about others, for example American patriotism. It would be the same if an American laughed at lets say scandinavias tight immigrant control and call us racists, and then we would say you can't really say that because you were the ones who kidnapped bunch of Africans and the whole slavery thing. See my point? Old things are old and what could have happened didn't happen, so we can't know what could have happened or should have happened. It's all speculation, and the facts from it are history.
This was not meant as attack, just as a sidenote.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:07   #224
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:14
Quote:
Patriotism does not believe that United States is better than other countries and that Americans are better than other people. It believes in certain general principles such as democracy and human rights. We patriotic Americans are willing to fight for freedom, for ourselves for the sake of others. We are willing to fight and die to liberate people being oppressed by a Nazi dictator. We welcome the support of others in the world who believe the same as we do. This is inclusive, non exclusive. Our patriotism is a belief that we can do good and have done good in liberating Iraq. When we succeed in liberating a people and bringing them freedom and justice from oppression and murder, we are proud. Such is American patriotism.
Did you type that with a straight face?

If it's a troll, fine. If not, you fall into the category of people who genuinely scare me. Not because they are bad people. But because they can be so easily led to support things if a politician utters magic words like "freedom." Even if freedom has nothing to do with it.

I really hope the result of "Operation Iraqi Freedom" (*puke*) is a free, democratic Iraq that somehow manages not to hate us. I really do. I love the good things about this country. I love the principles we so often ignore. Flag-waving, chest-thumping and white-washing do not make the USA a better place.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:11   #225
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
who see nothing in American ideals that are worthy of pride. But, clearly, the Flag-waving Americans do not think this way
The immense, frightening, awfull amount of irony in that quote is amazing!

The American ideal is primarily internal: you are correct that the US never sought to be an empire, and that above all should show you were you are wrong! If there was some inherently American drive to spread American values, we would have been imperialist! We would have tried to talke other lands and spread to them our values and institutions, but we did not, for the most part. And what about those American ideals at home? When people attempt to stiffle debate, or attack those that disagree as anti-American, and demonize (as you are want to do) those that disagree with them, that is a true attacks agaisnt the values of America. You sit here saying to trully believe in democracy and freedom, yet call your fellow citizens who disagree 'evil"???? Do you not see a fundamental flaw in that?

Quote:
you today would be living in the Third Reich. It is almost offensive for someone in your country to snicker at American patriotism.
Funny, but it was the awfull, evil Soviets who did most of the heavy lifting to defeat Nazism, as well as communist elsewhere, such as Tito's partisans. Do Europeans owe a huge debt of gratitude to the millions upon millions of brave Soviet soldiers that died beating back the Werhmacht? Perhaps, if it weren't for the Soviets, you woul be living under the third Reich..waht right do you have to attack the soviets?

Do you see the logical flaws in your line of argument yet, Ned?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 12, 2003, 12:12   #226
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
HO, et al., well it is clear that there are cynics here in the United States who support a foreign policy based solely on economic and security interests and who see nothing in American ideals that are worthy of pride.
No, they simply see "ideals" as the PR pablum that can be put on whatever policy choices they make.

Quote:
But, clearly, the Flag-waving Americans do not think this way.
You mean the ones with the "America, love it or leave it" stickers? Or the in the great photo I saw a few weeks back - some cracker with an American flag tee-shirt and a sign that said "France Germany Russia Mexico Chile you can all kiss my American ass."

Quote:
This is not to say that economic interests and security interest are not also important foreign-policy considerations. We just do not believe they should be given primacy unless the threat is overwhelmingly clear -- such as we see in Osama bin Laden.
I see they still have access to good weed there in Santa Cruz. Economic and security interests have been the only foreign policy considerations of the US.

Quote:
As the your status, HO, as an Austrian and your raising the issue of Nazi Germany, if it wasn't for America and her foolish, brain-dead ideals, you today would be living in the Third Reich.
The US intervened in Europe because Nazi Germany was a threat, and because we were attacked at Pearl Harbor. If it wasn't for the US, Europe would have "liberated" by the USSR, which would have collapsed under it's own bureucratic dead weight about the time it did anyway. The course of the cold war would have been a bit different, though.

Quote:
It is almost offensive for someone in your country to snicker at American patriotism.
YEAH!! You tell 'im. Hear that Roland, we made you pukes free, and you have the freedom we gave you to say what you want, as long as it isn't critical of the great, glorious, freedom-loving beacon of light and humanity and granola, the USA!!!
Old May 12, 2003, 12:13   #227
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Arrian
Old May 12, 2003, 12:14   #228
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

He's trolling again.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:16   #229
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
He's trolling again.
You have to admit he's insanely successful
Old May 12, 2003, 12:20   #230
Pekka
Emperor

Sometimes some American patriots rises to level, as if other countries don't like freedom, democrachssy etc. As if they are the only ones promoting it. As if the US is the only free country. As if we can't say a word, because we have different passport. As if US wars are about freeing others by default, without questioning. That is close to Jingoism, which I find dangerous.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:23   #231
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Sometimes some American patriots rises to level,
You can find morons and idiots sprouting nonsense in every country... why should America be any different
Old May 12, 2003, 12:27   #232
Ned
King

Arrian, if we do not put ideals ahead of security, we end up supporting dictators and we end up with empire (like the Roman empire). Focusing almost exclusively on security during the cold war help turn the world against us.
Old May 12, 2003, 12:29   #233
Ned
King

Pekka, OK, history is history.

But if we were solely focused on security, we probably would not have stuck our nose in either the Sino-Japanese war or Britain's war against Germany.
Old May 12, 2003, 13:02   #234
Pekka
Emperor

Ming, you are very correct.. so me not mentioning it was bad. And saying American patriots, it's not 100% true. There are different kind of patriots, they all consider them true patriots and still are very different, yet most likely they all are patriots by its definition. I didn't mean it to come out like that, sorry.

Ned, I don't know about that. Maybe, maybe not..I just wanted to say, that I think that wasn't a solid argument.
Old May 12, 2003, 13:35   #235
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Arrian, if we do not put ideals ahead of security, we end up supporting dictators and we end up with empire (like the Roman empire). Focusing almost exclusively on security during the cold war help turn the world against us
If you're arguing for more principled foreign policy, good for you, just don't even try to insinuate that our past or current policies have been/are principled.

I think principled American foreign policy (beacon of democracy, freedom and lots of other wonderful things, etc) is probably a pipe dream, so I think I'd settle for a "realistic" foreign policy + dropping the silly rhetoric/flag waving.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 12, 2003, 13:38   #236
Arrian
Deity

Ned, we "stuck our nose" into Japan's actions in the Pacific pre-Pearl Harbor because we saw ourselves as the big dog in the Pacific, and Japan was trying to rival us. We weren't pleased to have a strategic rival, and I'm sure on some level there was concern about the aggressive militarism Japan was displaying. So we embargoed them.

Principled? No. Power politics.

-Arrian

Old May 12, 2003, 14:05   #237
Az
Emperor

Quote:

Which totally undercuts the cheerleading "we're sooo ****ing noble, you should be grateful" cheerleading BS."

People don't do this "Amurka, love it or leave it" USA USA USA crap on the basis of "we're self-interested SOB's, we're just more successful at it than you are." If people were honest that their patriotism was really schlong waving about economic power, nobody would care. It's the nobility and goodness crap that makes other people puke.
Btw, that's EXACTLY what other countries do as well.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:07   #238
Arrian
Deity

Everybody does it to some extent. But when you're the strongest, richest 'n loudest, the proverbial spotlight is on you. Your idiocy is prominently illuminated.

-Arrian

Old May 12, 2003, 14:07   #239
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Ned, we "stuck our nose" into Japan's actions in the Pacific pre-Pearl Harbor because we saw ourselves as the big dog in the Pacific, and Japan was trying to rival us. We weren't pleased to have a strategic rival, and I'm sure on some level there was concern about the aggressive militarism Japan was displaying. So we embargoed them.

Principled? No. Power politics.

-Arrian
Japan's invasion of China alone was more than enough reason for an embargo. You dismiss it as "power politics". I call it "stop helping the rampaging warmonger." For the record, most nations were appalled by and openly condemned Japan. The US was just in a position to do something about.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:09   #240
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Actually, bald eagles are bastards. One of their common hunting tactics is to let ospreys (also called "fish hawks" in the US) catch a fish, then the higher flying (and quite a bit larger) eagle dive bombs the osprey, scaring the crap out of it and making it drop the fish, which the eagle then takes. Now if there's any symbolic linkage to it being the national bird....
Work smarter, not harder.