Old May 12, 2003, 14:11   #241
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I'm not saying that we weren't opposed to their aggression. What I am saying is that our embargo wasn't some noble, self-sacrificing, altruistic thing. There were strategic balance-of-power issues behind it.

The fact that it also meant we were cutting off key supplies to a regime that was running around invading other people's countries willy-nilly is a nice side benifit.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:11   #242
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ned:

"As the your status, HO, as an Austrian and your raising the issue of Nazi Germany, if it wasn't for America and her foolish, brain-dead ideals, you today would be living in the Third Reich."

Ah yes, you entered the war enthusiastically, based on your heroic ideals, as soon as Nazi germany annexed Austria. I guess it's the missing war of 1938-41, suppressed by the vast leftwing conspiracy, but soon to be recovered by Fox.

If you want America's foolish, brain-dead ideals to some extent, you have to go back to 1917. Without them, a certain party would have most likely not even been founded.

"It is almost offensive for someone in your country to snicker at American patriotism."

Sure, sweety. But I have no problem with american patriotism. I just have a problem with your braindead american jingoism.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 12, 2003, 14:12   #243
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
The US only imposed an embargo on japan after their moes into french Indochina in 1941, not when they were invading China, and we only went to war when the happened to bomb US installations and invade overseas US holdings. One did not hear many cries in the US to stop the rampaging Japanese before dec 7.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old May 12, 2003, 14:13   #244
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

YEAH!! You tell 'im. Hear that Roland, we made you pukes free, and you have the freedom we gave you to say what you want, as long as it isn't critical of the great, glorious, freedom-loving beacon of light and humanity and granola, the USA!!!
And Israel, and scientology.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 12, 2003, 14:13   #245
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Did you type that with a straight face?

If it's a troll, fine. If not, you fall into the category of people who genuinely scare me. Not because they are bad people. But because they can be so easily led to support things if a politician utters magic words like "freedom." Even if freedom has nothing to do with it.

I really hope the result of "Operation Iraqi Freedom" (*puke*) is a free, democratic Iraq that somehow manages not to hate us. I really do. I love the good things about this country. I love the principles we so often ignore. Flag-waving, chest-thumping and white-washing do not make the USA a better place.

-Arrian
Those are the words of a true patriot

Usually the most patriotic aren't the ones with the big mouths and little brains

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 12, 2003, 14:17   #246
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ned has been brainwashed

He actually believe countries do things for noble idealistic reasons!!!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 12, 2003, 14:23   #247
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 20:14
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
The US only imposed an embargo on japan after their moes into french Indochina in 1941, not when they were invading China, and we only went to war when the happened to bomb US installations and invade overseas US holdings. One did not hear many cries in the US to stop the rampaging Japanese before dec 7.
Because we were behaving in exactly the manner that you insist upon today: we were staying out of other countries' business. That's what you want, right? The US took a long time to act against Japan due to the US's isolationism.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:32   #248
gunkulator
Prince

Ya know, weeks after the start of this thing, I for one, still don't know what this so-called Operation Iraqi Freedom was supposed to be about. WMD? Get Saddam? Liberate Iraq? what? The admistration has changed its story so many times that I can't keep up.

All I know is we've spent 80+ BILLION dollars, managed to kill thousards of Iraqis and a hundred+ of our people while simultaneously p1ssing off the entire Arab world and completely alienating the French. How anyone could call this thing "a victory" is beyond me.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:33   #249
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:14
Don't you see the Iraqis cheering Gunkulator ?
Old May 12, 2003, 14:36   #250
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

It actually still has a chance to be a "victory" but it fades with every mistake our administrators make over there. Actually, it doesn't even require mistakes so much as time passing without visible progress. The Iraqis have little reason to be patient & understanding.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:37   #251
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I feel like being pedantic
Quote:
Originally posted by gunkulator
managed to kill thousards of Iraqis
The Iraqis never claimed that many.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:37   #252
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

Because we were behaving in exactly the manner that you insist upon today: we were staying out of other countries' business. That's what you want, right? The US took a long time to act against Japan due to the US's isolationism.
Act against Japan? Who the hell acted against the US when it rampaged across the continent in the name of "manifest destiny"? It is so hipocritical that you say the US should have acted sooner against Japan since it is very ironic that one of history's greatest imperialists and land-grabbers suddenly wants Japan to cease its own expansion.

Old May 12, 2003, 14:39   #253
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Who the hell acted against the US when it rampaged across the continent in the name of "manifest destiny"?
Britian, Mexico, various Indian Nations.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:41   #254
Arrian
Deity

Stopping History (or at least fundamentally changing the way nations interact) is pretty attractive to the countries at the top.

Hell, look at the "Security Council" and its approach to nukes. Hmm, we have them. They're terrible weapons which also provide almost total security against conventional attack. But they're terrible weapons... Oh, I've got it: no one else can have them! Yeah, that's the ticket. We get to keep ours, though, in case space monkeys attack us."

-Arrian

p.s. Gold Star for anyone who picks up the Eddie Izzard reference.

Old May 12, 2003, 14:41   #255
HershOstropoler
Settler

And who helped you with a nice bargain sale? The French.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:43   #256
DinoDoc
Deity

Re the Dixie Chicks arguement earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Top Country Albums

2 Dixie Chicks, Home 6
CRG | 86840* | Monument/Columbia | (12.98 EQ/18.98)
http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/country.jsp

They don't seem to be suffering much from it.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old May 12, 2003, 14:43   #257
Arrian
Deity

A bargain sale that Napolean thought was in his best interest, of course. He was a bit strapped for cash at that point, IIRC.

The Russians helped out too, with Alaska.

-Arrian

Old May 12, 2003, 14:43   #258
Master Zen
Deity

Yes, then so did China, Indochina, Korea, and all the others who were swallowed by Japan's expansion, we are talking about foreign powers around the world. No one stopped the US so I see little reason for the US stopping others who simply did the exact same thing in the other side of the globe.

btw smarty, how so did Britain stop US expansion??

EDIT: yes Dino, I'm talking to you

Old May 12, 2003, 14:44   #259
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
And who helped you with a nice bargain sale? The French.
The suckers.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:45   #260
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
p.s. Gold Star for anyone who picks up the Eddie Izzard reference.
Oooh you're starting with Eddie Izzard again!

Old May 12, 2003, 14:46   #261
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:

Act against Japan? Who the hell acted against the US when it rampaged across the continent in the name of "manifest destiny"?
Ah, the ol' change the subject trick... Shall I bring up Aztec and Incan expansionist policies?

Quote:
It is so hipocritical that you say the US should have acted sooner against Japan since it is very ironic that one of history's greatest imperialists and land-grabbers suddenly wants Japan to cease its own expansion.
What is hypocritical about it? Must the US always behaveGreat nations will always conflict eventually. National interests can not be ignored forever and the most the US could stomach in 1941 was an emargo. Big whoop. Remember this was pre-GATT/WTO so nations were free to trade with whomever they wished without international reprecussions. Even you must admit that 1941 America was extremely isolationist.
Old May 12, 2003, 14:48   #262
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
we are talking about foreign powers around the world.
I had no idea that the UK and Mexico (at least) were within the sovereign territory of the US. When did that happen and why did we let them go?

Quote:
btw smarty, how so did Britain stop US expansion??
They tried to stop it by conquering it. Don't they teach you about the War of 1812 in the Mexican School system?
Old May 12, 2003, 14:52   #263
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

Ah, the ol' change the subject trick... Shall I bring up Aztec and Incan expansionist policies?
I didn't change the subject, I changed the players. You're changing the subject buy posting a nonsense comparison about two ancient-era civilizations which I pressume a look at my flag makes you think I bear some relation to. No, I am not Aztec any more than you are Scandinavian. I have no relation to the Aztec empire nor am I supporter of their policies so please make a decent comparison next time.

Quote:

What is hypocritical about it? Must the US always behaveGreat nations will always conflict eventually. National interests can not be ignored forever and the most the US could stomach in 1941 was an emargo. Big whoop. Remember this was pre-GATT/WTO so nations were free to trade with whomever they wished without international reprecussions. Even you must admit that 1941 America was extremely isolationist.
What I am getting at is that I find it hipocritical that you say the US should have acted out more firmly against Japan's expansionism, when the US itself was guilty of the same crimes just a few decades before.

Old May 12, 2003, 14:55   #264
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I had no idea that the UK and Mexico (at least) were within the sovereign territory of the US. When did that happen and why did we let them go?
what the hell are you saying? Makes no sense...

Quote:

They tried to stop it by conquering it. Don't they teach you about the War of 1812 in the Mexican School system?
The war of 1812 was began BY the US after Britain tried to impress US sailors. If Britain had been trying to conquer the US it need not have waited for an excuse and would have done so waaay before, or waaay after.

Old May 12, 2003, 15:01   #265
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
what the hell are you saying? Makes no sense...
Do they not qualify as foreign powers even under your definition?

Quote:
The war of 1812 was began BY the US after Britain tried to impress US sailors.
[continued threadjack]The impressment of our sailors constituted an act of war in and of itself.[/continued threadjack]

Quote:
If Britain had been trying to conquer the US it need not have waited for an excuse and would have done so waaay before, or waaay after.
I'm only talking about her actions during the conflict. Before or after really isn't relevent.
Old May 12, 2003, 15:07   #266
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

A stupid person is stupid whether the biggest patriot in the world or an anti-nationalism protestor. Ignorance, stereotypes and plain stupidity exists on each side. There are also some pretty bright cookies on each side of almost every contentious issue.
Old May 12, 2003, 15:15   #267
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Ming, you are very correct.. so me not mentioning it was bad. And saying American patriots, it's not 100% true. There are different kind of patriots, they all consider them true patriots and still are very different, yet most likely they all are patriots by its definition. I didn't mean it to come out like that, sorry.

Ned, I don't know about that. Maybe, maybe not..I just wanted to say, that I think that wasn't a solid argument.
Hey Pekka, thanks for the help. Of course, you know, I am pressing an extreme view in order to "liberal" bash the folks here on Apolyton. It's fun!
Old May 12, 2003, 15:19   #268
Ned
King

Quote:

If you're arguing for more principled foreign policy, good for you, just don't even try to insinuate that our past or current policies have been/are principled.

I think principled American foreign policy (beacon of democracy, freedom and lots of other wonderful things, etc) is probably a pipe dream, so I think I'd settle for a "realistic" foreign policy + dropping the silly rhetoric/flag waving.

-Arrian
Actually, I am arguing somewhat for Jimmy Carter's foreign policy of being anti-dictator reqardless of whether they were friendly. The pragmatist, e.g., Kissinger, would argue the opposite.

But yes, of course, I am arguing for a principled foreign policy except where our national security concerns are overwhelming. Thus our support of Stalin was justified becuase it helped shorten the war and saved American lives.
Old May 12, 2003, 15:21   #269
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

You have to admit he's insanely successful
(It's kind of fun to see you guys go ballistic over my flag-waving super patriot act. )
Old May 12, 2003, 15:22   #270
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
Ned, No problem. Go get'em all!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.