Old August 1, 2002, 11:15   #151
Sovereign
Prince

Local Time: 00:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Bah!

Half a photo, eh? Cut in half horizontally or vertically?

I'd like an autographed photo! Just kidding!
Old August 1, 2002, 13:39   #152
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 07:35
Ya have to remember shes called Alinestra 'Sexylegs' Covelia for a Reason
My part looks like an Escaped Panda havin' a good Time

hehehe
Old August 1, 2002, 16:18   #153
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:35
*Emerging from the cloud of testosterone...*

*cough*

Anyways. If there's something I've always sucked at, it's been criticism. Dunno why, probably because of some bad experiences at that field. So I think that instead of praising you from heaven to earth and repeating all the possible superlatives and adjectives listed in this thread already, I'll give you a thumbs up - > and assure you that the time spent writing Joe was time well spent.
Old August 1, 2002, 17:20   #154
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 01:35
Thanks, Kassiopeia! Sometimes it's just a little "thumbs up" that hits the spot!

And Sovereign is looking increasingly likely to get nothing unless he gives me his email address.
Old August 3, 2002, 15:10   #155
Sovereign
Prince

Oh, ye of little faith, Alinestra!

Sent my E-mail address in a PM.
Old August 3, 2002, 16:06   #156
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

A few more pieces of errata/author notes to clear up:

1. Technological notes - Originally the story featured Shard weapons. I then looked up the science tree and realized that Shard was farahead of Fusion Power. Thus, in this story the most powerful weapon systems are all Chaos based. The Hiverian Carrier Vehicle Jian Guo Men is named after an affluent suburb in Beijing. It is also a massive anachronism, as the deep carrier bay special ability for ships only becomes available long after Fusion is achieved. Unfortunately, I had already written the entirety of Operation Garrett into the story before I found this out, and it was too late to go back and correct it. Finally, the UNP fear that the Hive had perfected cloaking technology is premature - cloaking ability is also very distant. Holopode stands for "holographic podium", a device that projects in 3 dimensions.

Measurements in the game is metric. There are 18 hours on Planet, and each hour has 100 minutes. There are ten fifty-day months on Planet, plus a shorter eleventh month of only 32 days. The month system takes the stem word "Luna" and adds the greek numeric prefix, eg the eleventh month will be called UndecLuna. As the Chinese do today, the Hive always states the YYMMDD, not DDMMYY or even worse, MMDDYY.

2- Hive people. The Chairman's name as it is spoken "Sheng Ji Yang" is technically surnamed Sheng. However, it has been brought to my attention by a reader that maybe the Firaxis staff got the order mixed, and the name should be "Yang Sheng-Ji". This suggestion has its merits, as Yang is a very common family name in China, and Sheng is not. I have no idea what the characters for the name could be - any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Ota Kyi is an unknown nationality name to me. I suspect it was just concocted on the spot by Firaxians who wanted a vaguely oriental name to fill a character gap. It might be Japanese, for all I know. Shimoda sounds like a distinctly Japanese name - Naoyuki is the name of a very talented Japanese friend of mine. Ijoi is a Cantonese name, Sun is Han Chinese, Hu is Han Chinese (possibly Mongolian), Berzhinev is Russian, and Ma is Han Chinese. Le Dhu is Vietnamese. Mao Zhun is Han Chinese, but her real life equivalent is a Thai girl who was my housemate Hu's girlfriend. Second Zhu's words as he reluctantly authorizes the termination of Agent Hu's life are drawn, of course, from Blade Runner. The "HK" part of the "HK Transmission" is short for Hara-kiri. Dritnam is an anagram of the big badguy from the sci-fi series Lexxx, but its inclusion here was because it was also the name of one of my online friends. Joe was just a name that fitted with my requirements - a name that transliterated well between Chinese (Zhou) and English (Joe). Anhalt Reinhardt is a German name but his codename Aurum-4 is loosely based on a word that means "eater of gold".

The internal struggle of the Hiverian Intelligence Bureau owes much inspiration to John Le Carre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Tobias (Toby) Ballantyne's name is similar to the head of the London Circus in that novel.

Joe misquotes Chairman Mao ZeDong, who once wrote that he who has never seen the Great Wall is no true man. Joe is a graduate from Qinghua University - the scientific and engineering thinktank of China. The Otkretia Pact is a clear parallel to the Warsaw Pact.

Note that the Hive's Immunity to SE settings that result in Inefficiency is frequently mentioned in this fiction.

3. DataTech - The snatch of song which RapCafe Blue proprietor is singing fits perfectly into the rhythm scheme of National Express by Divine Comedy. The term "rapcafe" was inspired by a word "tapcafe" from the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy. Fusili is a codename, as it is a certain type of Italian pasta. Morganghast comes from a title of a well known book, of which it is an anagram. The unfortunate spy Avise whom Hu tortures is the same spy who escapes in Hiveria With Love, albeit her tactic would not work here because the story is already being told from the third person. Wing Commander Karn is a thinly-veiled reference to my RAF Command, whose surname is very very similar. He was also a thoroughly unpleasant man in real life and it is not an accident that Karn dies in the story. Lady Prynne is a name taken from The Scarlet Letter. Li Min is a feasible Chinese name on its own, but this particular occurrence pays homage to David Wingrove's Chung Kuo - a sci-fi work of amazing depth and drama. Sentry-8 is based on a similar plan drawn up by Mao ZeDong to defend against a mooted American attack.

Li Min's Gaian herbal tea has evidently been taking lessons in fetidology from Aziraphael's hot chocolate, in Good Omens.

4. Aliens - Anybody familiar with the mind flayers from Dungeons and Dragons will know why the Speaker I'Liphf'd, Caretaker technician/diplomatic attache is so named. Justin Bailey, aka sumaS, is a cunning reference to a certain Nintendo character from the superb game Metroid.

5. Gaian folk. Prentice is the name of a character from Iain Banks' The Crow Road, set in Scotland. Joely Richardson is a British actress who famously acted in the dramatization of the banned book, Lady Chatterley's Lover. The 'silken' reference comes from Star Trek. Prentice and Joely come from near Newcastle-Gateshead in Britain. Anybody as familiar with the area as I was during my college years will know that for two such citizens to become diplomats is something of a small miracle. Kumar Chakrabarti is a dedication to an Indian scientist who did, indeed, discover a strain of bacteria that could digest oil from oil spills and save wildlife, though some people raised concerns over whether the bacteria could accidentally destroy the oil industry if not controlled. Alex Lindley is a character taken from in-game, a Gaian doctor. ARBANT (the arborial antenna that serves as the Gaians' Empath Guild) is loosely based on a similar tree in James Blish's A Case of Conscience.

6. Peacekeepers, Aquascante. Aquascante is another nod to Star Wars - the Imperial capital is called "Coruscant" - Aqua here just means water. The Aquascante Treaty Organization (ATO) is a global treaty that is loosely based on another obvious real world organization. Segments of the nearly-incoherent rants of Captain Mooney of the UNPS Dauntless originally come from the song "Socks" by King Missile. The Spartan character Hommel is mentioned insofar as a base is named Hommel's Citadel. Navaede Sidhu is an Indian name. Lend Lease 2 is a not very subtle allusion to the Lend-Lease agreement, wherein American equipment and personnel aided the European theater of WW2. Much of the restrictions and boundaries of the DataTech-UNP cooperation are inspired by present day regional conflicts, especially those resisting reunification with some mainland country or another.

7. The similarity between the start of the whole story and the end of it is intentional. Further parallels exist between the train attacks on Hu and Joe and Dritnam's final mission. McClelland unwittingly imitates Li Min's posture at the end of the magtrain attack.

8. The Council Vote totals are only ever shown twice during the story. Unfortunately, a typographical error occurred which would have invalidated much of the rest of the story if left unchanged. Therefore, I decided it was more important to go back and change the error so the story would make sense. Those of you out there who sat down and calculated the votes involved will know exactly what I mean.
Old August 3, 2002, 16:47   #157
Noel-Marcus
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:35
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Quote:
Ota Kyi is an unknown nationality name to me.
I do think its Japanese. It could mean "cascade"

Quote:
Li Min's Gaian herbal tea has evidently been taking lessons in fetidology from Aziraphael's hot chocolate, in Good Omens.
I see not even Neil Gaimen has managed to escape from the evil clutches of Alpha Centauri

Quote:
Anybody familiar with the mind flayers from Dungeons and Dragons will know why the Speaker I'Liphf'd
Ahh, yes. But is he a vampire mind flayer?

"Peace, love and Planet Busters..."
Noel-Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2002, 18:29   #158
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Oh yes, almost forgot. The name of Operation Garrett harkens from the mind of a thief: the dark project being to steal two fusion drives.
Old August 11, 2002, 20:06   #159
Raging Mouse
Prince

Well done, Alinestra; You've finished the story! I hope that I too, some day, will achieve the same... but often I doubt it.
Raging Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2002, 22:46   #160
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

I'd wholeheartedly urge you to do so. Even though there's a slight feeling of loss now that the story's over, I still say it's best to put the whole thing out there and let it be finished.

Also, there are a group of people who are categorizing the finished fictions of this thread into the Apolyton Directory, so that when the thread drops off the bottom of the forum, others can still read it. Unfinished fictions aren't included, so any that fall off the bottom of the thread will be difficult to find.

I'd like to see The Wizard of Chiron finished!
Old January 18, 2003, 13:46   #161
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Final update - the real life person on whom I based the character Mao Zhun passed away from liver failure caused by a malignant cancer.

Her real life name was Pat, and she was the beloved girlfriend of my housemate Bing. She died the day after her twenty-fifth birthday, on the evening of the 10th January 2003.

We will miss her - she was a good friend and an accomplished and talented individual. Her kindness and thoughtfulness brought joy to the Enixine household each time we saw her, and continue to do so each time we think of her.

Farewell to Pat

Last edited by Alinestra Covelia; April 9, 2003 at 02:09.
Alinestra Covelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2003, 21:40   #162
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35

well now, despite having finished the story a while ago, i havn't yet said

Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2003, 19:10   #163
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I recently heard about the existence of the story "Joe", and plan to read it as soon as I find enough time. I already have read this thread though, and there are few mentions to "From Hiveria With Love". However, that story has been deleted. Therefore I was wondering: is there anything I need to know about "From Hiveria With Love" which will make me understand "Joe" better?
Old April 27, 2003, 19:25   #164
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

I can email you the whole story actually. I took it down because the story itself was largely written by a housemate, Bing, and he wanted to register on Poly and post it again to his name (because he deserves the credit, not me).

But after I deleted it, he never got round to registering and it:s been like that for a while.

PM me your email and I:ll send it. It:s quite short and really rather silly.
Old April 28, 2003, 15:55   #165
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Ok thanks. I'll send you a PM right away.
Old January 20, 2004, 18:59   #166
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

One more comment and an apology... more than two years too late. One of my posts says that Forge is the smallest of the would-be magtrain hijackers. It then lists her height at about 1.83 meters.

This would be perfectly feasible on the moon or other heavenly bodies where the gravitational field is weaker than the Earth, but on Planet we are told the gravity is significantly greater. In that case, the average height of a homo sapiens would probably be shorter than one living on Earth. Given this, it's hard to imagine Forge being "petite", at 1.83m which translates to about 6' in the Imperial standard.

SPOT THE METRIC NEWBIE!!!

Yes, yes. I know. Sorry.
Old January 20, 2004, 20:28   #167
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:35
My mother still has a sort of cognitive dissonance where she reads the speed limit signs which are, of course, written in kilometers per hour, but speaks them with the word "miles". Things like "The limit's low around here, only 50 miles an hour" and suchlike. That of course gives me cognitive dissonance and I walk into a wall.
Old January 21, 2004, 05:43   #168
Sovereign
Prince

OMG.

Comments on Joe after a year? Hot damn. I remember when I was eagerly awaiting new installments of Joe.

This reminds me of some other old stoires such as the one Ragtag Mouse wrote, I forgot the title. It has been THAT long that I forgot the titles of some fanfics here.

I guess BAC's the only one going, and seems like once it stops, ends, or "dies" then AC Fiction forum / threads will be officially dead.
Old January 21, 2004, 14:04   #169
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Well, once I've got time enough and space, I'll be working on a prequel. This is a pretty definite plan, but those of you who are familiar with my writing habits know not to hold your breath.
Old January 21, 2004, 16:13   #170
Sovereign
Prince

(holds breath)

(face turns red)

(face turns blue)

(face turns pale)

(face starts to decompose)

Seriously, I'd love to have either a sequel or pre-quel to Joe. Hell, I'd settle for ANY well written AC fiction. I remember when I first came to AC Fiction and read the fanfics. There was a full page of links, like 15 - 20 stories going on.

Now on a few occassions, the whole forum is empty. No links, not even to BAC or the BAC discussion threads. Pretty sad, huh?
Old February 18, 2004, 15:05   #171
girlfight_club
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
Given this, it's hard to imagine Forge being "petite", at 1.83m which translates to about 6' in the Imperial standard.

SPOT THE METRIC NEWBIE!!!

Yes, yes. I know. Sorry.
I learned the metric system by reading George Lucas' Star Wars novelization. In the first chapter he describes Artoo as being one meter tall, and Vader as two meters tall.

Haven't been confused by it since!!

GFC
girlfight_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2004, 16:45   #172
Sovereign
Prince

Is that for real?

If all mathematics and learning methods were THAT easy, American kids would be much smarter.
Old February 20, 2004, 00:04   #173
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:35
I actually thought the Darth Vader actor was more than two meters tall.
Old February 20, 2004, 10:52   #174
Sovereign
Prince

I remember buying a Star Wars Character Encylopedia about 10 years ago, and it stated Darth Vader was 2.02 meters tall or so.
Old February 1, 2006, 14:24   #175
MysticWind
Warlord

Local Time: 05:35
It’s been half a decade since your story’s completion, and I post now to continue its legacy. I know it’s probably easier for me to private message you, but hey- someone’s got to shake up this forum. Call me the Minority Whip of Apolyton’s SMAC Community.

But enough of the shameless self-promotion. Quite simply, Joe is not only the best SMAC fanfiction I’ve ever read, but probably the best fanfiction as well. It’s no hyperbole; you’ve created an entire universe out of hints and references, and your work completely outstrips the minimalist novelization of Michael Ely. Ely never created a convincingly real world- you have. I’ve read great fanfiction before, but they always relied on already established universes: Star Wars, Harry Potter, X-Com. Unlike Ely’s world, yours lives and breathes, with a setting and characters that seem to be much better than the run-of-the-mill space colonization milieu. Additionally, unlike Ely’s simplistic “junior novelization” style, your story read like an actual novel.

I really enjoyed the “capture” of Agent Bing. I’m jaded by the special ops, cover squad, stealth masters-type action that’s been flourishing ever since Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six and Metal Gear Solid. The capture sequence was well planned, and it really beat the hell out of most of what I’ve read recently. You didn’t just make the stealth futuristic, you made the soldiers and preparation of the Hive truly hard-core. They didn’t just sneak around, they were prepared for any contingency, for any possibility, and were willing to toss away their lives- not because of daredevilry, but because it’s not a big issue anymore.

You also made excellent characterizations of the faction leaders. Especially Yang- he was made into a truly bad-ass, superhuman Fu Manchu. He is beyond good or evil, and unlike most other fanfictions, he is not simply a foolish despot, but instead a master of a nation that is quite reminiscent to ancient China.

Though I never ever got to know what made Agent Hu tick, you made him into an interesting, colorful character, as well as Jorenson, McClelland, Joe, Aurum, Tryskel, and the Datatech spies. You gave them emotional content and believability, and it was very original and non-cliché.

My only complaint is that along with all fanfics, the Planetary Council sequences are nothing like the real United Nations. Of course, that has to do with me being a Model U.N. wonk. Other than that, yours were much more realistic than Ely’s sequences where Lal talked to his advisors, and you really made parliamentary procedure exciting, I daresay that Joe has the best sequences inside any fictional assembly, except maybe when Yoda fought the Emperor in the Senate.

Kudos!

So I have some questions about your work:

1. Why did Lydia go through the process of accessing and deleting random posts and accounts during her assignment?

2. Yang’s Second comments that he could have removed Hu through a diplomatic ferry. Why didn’t he just do that, instead of making it seem like Hu was to be executed at home?

3. Did the bodyguard who killed himself in the capture of Hu have a clone back home? Or was he so dedicated to his job that he knew that he was completely expendable?

4. Actually, the reason for why hanged men orgasm before death has to do with what happens to the spine and structure of the body, not some evolutionary instinct.

5. What’s the reference to Gaians chosen from the Newcastle-Gateshead Nature Preserve? Did you choose that place because Deirdre is Scottish, or because you know the lingo of the area?

6. What does TQVM stand for?

7. Are the Caretakers also man-eaters, like the Usurpers?

8. What’s Pravidence?

9. What kind of people in each faction get longevity treatments, besides the leader?

10. How does the HK Algorithm work? After all, probe teams need not necessarily be powersuited ninjas, vulnerable to electronic attacks.

11. You mention later on that if Joe returned to the Hive, the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm would kill him. Considering that he isn't implanted with the device, how is that possible?

12. What are Lal's Ten Points?

13. I noticed that you had Sheng-ji Yang labelled as former Executive Officer, not Head of Security. However, you mentioned Santiago's role in nearly single-handedly causing Unity to be ripped asunder, as chronicled in Michael Ely's "official" novelization and novella. Which set of "canon" did you use in determining the backstory of the faction leaders for this story?

14. You have Lal being amused at the Hive's self-proclaimed "war against treachery." Was that a sly reference to modern-day political realities? Or did you write it before 9/11? Also, kudos for characterizing Lal as a machiavellian and a somewhat fanatic peacemaker, eager to forcibly liberate the Hive. How oxymoronic!

15. I think you may have misused the word "saturnine."

16. Did Christianity disappear along with the Believers? It seems like the diplomats are referencing God an inordinate number of times for the United Nations.

17. Why did you have the Chiron version of the U.N. have an electoral college? You wrote this fanfic after 2000, didn't you? I'm pretty sure only the U.S. is the only organization- country or otherwise- to use the stupid thing.

18. Also, I don't understand what you meant about Lal packing the electoral college with supporters. Don't the members have to vote according to the majority of the population in the area they represent? And what did you mean when Zakharov said that the Gaians could pack their electoral college with psychic profiling?

19. How did Hommel die? Why couldn't his flight squadron have picked him up after his crash?

20. Cryosleep mousepad?

21. When did Tryskel actually fly a Fusion-powered aircraft?

22. I'm amused that the ending of your story, while very heartwarming, almost completely neglects to bring any faction closer to any of the standard endings of SMAC. The status quo is pretty much maintained, with no faction getting an upper hand with Cyborg Factory, and none challenging the Hive or the University for Fusion. The personality developments, too, seem to be mainly exterior, changes in identity and status. I'd say Prentice changed the most.

23. Why don't the factions blame Santiago and the Spartans for creating the rebellion that basically destroyed Unity?

24. How does Hu know that Prentice was pregnant?

25. Will you ever publish your fanfic somewhere else besides Apolyton? Why not Fanfiction.net?

To conclude, this is hands down the best fanfiction I have ever read, anywhere, ever. Kudos. Are you working on anything else right now?
MysticWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2006, 23:11   #176
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

*clicks on "My Threads" link to check out my offtopic posts*

*somebody has commented on Joe!*

...O_o...

Yes, it's been a long time!

Brings a teardrop to the eye to read this old chestnut. Imagine being in labor for two years giving birth to an epic fetus and you have how I feel. (For guys, just imagine being constipated for an equivalent amount of time. And replace the fetus with whatever.)

First off, many hugs and kisses and blushes for your kind words. What a nice thing to say! If Joe was a pregnancy it would be like maybe five years old now.

*looks around quickly*

Ahem.

Now that we got that out of the way, here are a few questions, as best as I can remember them. Bear in mind it's been a while...

Quote:
Michael Ely ... never created a convincingly real world- you have.
Well, I'd say his goal and definitely his time constraints were different - Ely was writing in conjunction with the game, as well as working on the main project himself. His work was very inspirational (especially the scenes onboard the Unity) and Joe draws directly from it in many places because - let's face it - it saves time if you don't have to reinvent an excellent story in the first place.

And I was writing with the luxury of not having to answer to editors or proofreaders, and the choice to walk away from it and not write anything for six months at a time. Ely most likely did not have this option. It's like comparing a newspaper article with a magazine feature - they do different things and I'd say Ely's stories fill in the game background and faction squabbles perfectly.

(NB I still have not read any of the novels - just the extracts in the SMAC and SMAX manuals. But they're high on my list.)

Quote:
I really enjoyed the “capture” of Agent Bing.
Thanks! I also worked for a long while on that sequence, and I think I got through three drafts just trying to make it interesting and realistic. Hu Man Bing himself (the nickname of my roommate of Durham, UK) said he was flattered his namesake died in such a kick-arse way, although he also said he felt sorry that his nickname was so artificial sounding. Looking back, I also think HMB's name sounds out of place, although I had teased with an idea of explaining it in a prequel.

I am not particularly happy with the way I wrote in Mao Zhun's vision in Bing's mindprobe - the whole "clone fingers" scene was badly done and I would rewrite it if I had the chance.

Quote:
Yang ... is not simply a foolish despot, but instead a master of a nation that is quite reminiscent to ancient China.
Glad you liked him! That's what I was trying to do when I started, and I'm happy it worked believably. Now I look at it, there are times when he sounds a bit like a fortune cookie, but I wanted to make sure he didn't come off as a brutal thug. Later on, when I introduced other leaders, I kept that in mind - nobody is truly good, and nobody is truly evil; the demands of leadership transcends all that, democratic or not.

Quote:
Though I never ever got to know what made Agent Hu tick,
I didn't know this at the time, but after detailed study of the real-life original, it appears the answer is "NutraSweet".

Quote:
My only complaint is that along with all fanfics, the Planetary Council sequences are nothing like the real United Nations.
Yes, I became aware of this too after one of my colleagues started working at the UN in New York. Another thing to improve on, if I summon the time and will to do so.

Quote:
where Lal talked to his advisors, and you really made parliamentary procedure exciting,
Again, this was drawn partly from real life, so I can hardly take the credit. A lot of this came from novels and histories such as Porterhouse Blue and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, although Bush vs. Gore had a good influence too.

Okay, that's enough e-pat-on-the-backing for now. Onto your questions.

1. Why did Lydia access the messages?

I don't remember, to be honest. At this early point in the story, the Zeta-5 algorithm had not been planned as a character and I hadn't gotten the whole "wireless messaging" plot element in place. If it helps, she could have been accessing maps and schematics. I do recall she was on a final mission to bomb the financial sector of the DataTech capital, and that was a gift to Zhou, not at the behest of Zeta-5. Perhaps the Algorithm would not make that information available to her because it was neutral towards Roze.

2. Yang’s Second comments that he could have removed Hu through a diplomatic ferry. Why didn’t he just do that, instead of making it seem like Hu was to be executed at home?

I believe Bing actually was removed via diplomatic ferry. The "punitive extradition" element added further onus on the DataTech not to interfere. Also the punitive extradition was Bing's idea to begin with - he talks of improvising the onboard beatings. The real life Bing also thinks largely in tangents.

3. Did the bodyguard who killed himself in the capture of Hu have a clone back home? Or was he so dedicated to his job that he knew that he was completely expendable?

More likely the latter. After close perusal of the tech tree, I have studied the location of Fusion Power and the Cloning Vats and have determined that that element of this fanfic is likely spurious and/or bollocks. And so is carrier hulls. (Sorry!)

4. Actually, the reason for why hanged men orgasm before death has to do with what happens to the spine and structure of the body, not some evolutionary instinct.

I'll take your word for it. Note it's not just for men either, apparently.

5. What’s the reference to Gaians chosen from the Newcastle-Gateshead Nature Preserve?

I used to go to Durham University, which is dangerously close to Newcastle and also those crazy be-sporran-ed Scotsmen up north. If you've ever read the toilet humor magazine Viz, which is largely set in that area, you'll know that the likelihood of any Newcastle-Gateshead resident making it onboard a UN space craft on the basis of their diplomatic charm is something of an outlyer at best.

6. What does TQVM stand for?

IIRC, "Thank you very much." My knowldge of net slang and l337-speak is woefully unsophisticated, but I was surprised by how many people wrote in saying they couldn't understand it.

7. Are the Caretakers also man-eaters, like the Usurpers?

Yes.

8. What’s Pravidence?

Something to do with Pravin Lal, perhaps? I don't remember.

9. What kind of people in each faction get longevity treatments, besides the leader?

Presumably talents, but I'd imagine it depends on the socio-economic resources. It would be like Arnold Rimmer on board the Red Dwarf - you can only have a few of those around because the energy required to keep them is so high.

10. How does the HK Algorithm work? After all, probe teams need not necessarily be powersuited ninjas, vulnerable to electronic attacks.

The implication is that all of the Hive's top probe agents have a killswitch in case they get captured and interrogated. And of course the Pirates wouldn't stand a chance against ninjas - even if they did discover lasers.

11. You mention later on that if Joe returned to the Hive, the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm would kill him. Considering that he isn't implanted with the device, how is that possible?

The flip, game-mechanic response would be "He's a probe team member". I suppose he could physically return to Hiverian space (after all, an enemy probe team can walk around in an HSA-protected faction's territory) but the moment he tried to interact with anybody or anything that was remotely connected to any network, he'd be found out.

12. What are Lal's Ten Points?

I think these are listed in the episode when Morgan is introduced. They may have become 13 points after several provisions vilifying the Hive were added.

13. I noticed that you had Sheng-ji Yang labelled as former Executive Officer, not Head of Security. However, you mentioned Santiago's role in nearly single-handedly causing Unity to be ripped asunder, as chronicled in Michael Ely's "official" novelization and novella. Which set of "canon" did you use in determining the backstory of the faction leaders for this story?

That's a good question and I'd have to say he presumably held all of those titles some of the time and possibly some of the titles all of the time. I believe some sources also list him as the ship's doctor, further adding to the confusion! XO and HoS seem like reasonable overlap posts, but I think I kept Lal as the chief doctor. Small delicate feminine hands, you know...

14. You have Lal being amused at the Hive's self-proclaimed "war against treachery." Was that a sly reference to modern-day political realities? Or did you write it before 9/11? Also, kudos for characterizing Lal as a machiavellian and a somewhat fanatic peacemaker, eager to forcibly liberate the Hive. How oxymoronic!

9/11 happened halfway through the writing. And you're wrong about the "war against treachery". It's not at all sly.

15. I think you may have misused the word "saturnine."

I'm pretty sure I misspelled "vacuum" too. Shh! Don't tell!

16. Did Christianity disappear along with the Believers? It seems like the diplomats are referencing God an inordinate number of times for the United Nations.

Religion did not disappear. I thought of the Believers as extremists who abdicated mortal responsibility in the trust that a supernatural morality would guide them. Other factions may or may not tolerate religious beliefs (the Hive and University here do not) but they differ from the Believers in the separation of Church and State.

17. Why did you have the Chiron version of the U.N. have an electoral college?

Again, fact stranger than fiction.

18. Also, I don't understand what you meant about Lal packing the electoral college with supporters. Don't the members have to vote according to the majority of the population in the area they represent? And what did you mean when Zakharov said that the Gaians could pack their electoral college with psychic profiling?

The first part - as I understand it, the electoral college system does not actually require the college to vote in accordance with their population. (Although of course the following political fallout will likely be heavy for them.) I could be wrong. The second answer is that Lal and Skye use less-than-upfront means to "encourage" a strong support base. In both cases, they may resort to various kinds of manipulation, political or economic or psychic, to back certain supporters and block opponents from office.

19. How did Hommel die? Why couldn't his flight squadron have picked him up after his crash?

Intentionally kept vague. Sequel/prequel fodder. The flight squadron basically had one shot at this - the next time they came back, the Hive would likely have figured out who they were, perhaps by their radio wavelength.

20. Cryosleep mousepad?

If this refers to what I think it refers to, then it means a nonstatic surface featuring an illustration of a naked Indian woman on the front.

21. When did Tryskel actually fly a Fusion-powered aircraft?

Ooh, this is foggy. I believe she took part in Hommel's raid but I could be wrong. Flying monkeys! Flying monkeys!

22. I'm amused that the ending of your story, while very heartwarming, almost completely neglects to bring any faction closer to any of the standard endings of SMAC. The status quo is pretty much maintained, with no faction getting an upper hand with Cyborg Factory, and none challenging the Hive or the University for Fusion. The personality developments, too, seem to be mainly exterior, changes in identity and status. I'd say Prentice changed the most.

...I think I agree with everything you said. So... erm... Yes! Excellent question dear boy...! Quite. Quite.

23. Why don't the factions blame Santiago and the Spartans for creating the rebellion that basically destroyed Unity?

The story intends to raise exactly that question, and the answer is inevitably realpolitik. Bin Laden was a "freedom fighter" when he was fighting the Soviets. Now the situation is very different, of course.

24. How does Hu know that Prentice was pregnant?

Well, the two men did spend a fair bit of time together in close quarters, and after a few weeks, when Prentice's manly tummy showed the gentle kicking of the life within...

Wait a second...!

Okay, Bing likely got his information that Joely was pregnant through a bug in a bulb, and the bulb was over her marital bed. You can probably chalk the rest up to prurient interest. I think I may have misspelled "Bonsai tree", too. Dammit.

25. Will you ever publish your fanfic somewhere else besides Apolyton? Why not Fanfiction.net?

That would be nice, yes. I might have to use my real name though...

26. Are you working on anything else right now?

I'll be taking the Law School Admission Test in just under 48 hours, yes. But bear in mind I finished Joe just hours before starting my first semester at journalism school, so I can't rule anything out...

I have been thinking about writing a prequel, and I might get round to it too sometime soon just as a creative outlet so I don't go nuts. I love Apolyton and SMAX and I still play the game (sparingly, so addiction doesn't resume).

As always, thanks for reading, and keep on writing y'all!

Last edited by Alinestra Covelia; February 2, 2006 at 23:29.
Old August 29, 2008, 02:50   #177
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Just a heads up for my long-suffering friend HuManBing.

He's writing a really really long fanfic set in the Ravenloft and Dragonlance D&D settings. Apparently he got an idea quite similar to my idea with Joe - take a two-dimensional "bad guy" and make him human.

Except that what I did with Chairman Yang, he's doing with the evil warlord Vlad Drakov from Ravenloft. Better yet, hes' writing the whole thing from the first person point of view, which I think is really tough and which I would never do for Joe.

The fan fiction he's working on is here. It says "reader discretion advised" and he means it. There are some really bad scenes of violence that occurs in Vlad Drakov's youth to explain why he got so screwed up as an adult.

And, just as Joe featured HuManBing as a character who plays a middling to large part, my friend HuManBing is apparently writing a character named "Alicov" into his story. ^__^

She seems to be a chatterbox though which is entirely unlike me Also I don't have red hair in real life.

Edit: I'm also finally getting around to registering on fanfiction.net and this story should be the first to go up. The user profile name will be "enixine", in honor of the household name we used in college.

Last edited by Alinestra Covelia; August 29, 2008 at 03:20.
Old September 18, 2008, 11:27   #178
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

And? How old is "Joe" now?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
GeoModder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2008, 15:20   #179
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

The fanfic? It was started in 2000 roundabout the time of the Sydney Olympics, so that makes it more or less eight years old, right?

Unless you meant something else with your post, but I'm looking at it every way I can and I'm not sure what else you could mean.

I've been following HMB's story and he has actually expanded the entire name of the character to Alinestra Covelia, just like my username. She's a drunk, a lecher, a pottymouth, in addition to being a journalist of sorts and a book editor.

HMB has told me she will have a pretty sad fate in the story. This is probably fair play, given that I had Hu Man Bing killed off by decapitation in my own fanfic
Old September 19, 2008, 09:41   #180
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

No, I didn't mean anything else but the story you wrote. I couldn't mean anything else since I don't know a thing about you.
Infact, I thing I never read it. Perhaps Maniac still has it and can sent me it.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
GeoModder is offline   Reply With Quote