Old May 20, 2003, 12:32   #31
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 22:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hmmm, can they still use their settler abilities flying and all?
Old May 20, 2003, 19:48   #32
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
Would you mean the flying, russian, settler units, by the name of "Bf 109"?
Um, yeah.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old May 20, 2003, 20:04   #33
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 21:16
Those are just mutants from the Early Russian experiments with nuclear fission........
Old May 20, 2003, 21:23   #34
Dr. Nick
Deity

Tunguska survivors. Nuff' said.
Old May 21, 2003, 02:24   #35
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 03:16
El
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old May 22, 2003, 20:48   #36
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 20:16
The link worked fine for me, but now we have a whole new curse:

Just my luck.
Old May 22, 2003, 20:51   #37
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
The link worked fine for me, but now we have a whole new curse:

Just my luck.
I still say its something with your zip program. Mine worked fine.
Old May 22, 2003, 20:52   #38
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

You want me to email you you all the files, AGAIN? (Refering to the Historibus incident....)
Old May 22, 2003, 20:57   #39
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Please don't.
Old May 22, 2003, 21:03   #40
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Please don't.
Darn, and I was going to add a bunch of stuff just to clog your email........
Old May 23, 2003, 02:41   #41
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Urgh Have you tried re-downloading the file and saving it under a different name?

Is anyone else having this problem?
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old May 23, 2003, 06:36   #42
Arthedain
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

Local Time: 03:16
I found a sollution to the problem.
I right-clicked at the link and clicked "save target as".
then I opened the HTML-file and I could download it from there

maybe the problem with the .zip file is that you zipped it with WinXP's program and he tryed to open it witn WinZip.. I dunno..

Last edited by Arthedain; May 23, 2003 at 07:38.
Old May 23, 2003, 07:25   #43
Dr. Nick
Deity

conmcb25, could you email me the files please?
Old May 23, 2003, 10:42   #44
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by El Awrence
conmcb25, could you email me the files please?
Sure it will be sometime this weekend. Right now I took a day off of work but my NKVD Agent (my wife) has me breaking big rocks into little rocks in the back yard to day. Something about needing reeducation.

Women you cant live with them and you cant live without them...........
Old May 23, 2003, 14:23   #45
Kaptain Ken
Warlord

Local Time: 01:16
Women you cant live with them and you cant live without them...........

Boy are you right about that especially when it comes to PC games and who's more important. The game 99% of the time .
Old May 23, 2003, 15:02   #46
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
Have you tried re-downloading the file and saving it under a different name?
I would, but my comp automatically unzips it the very second it finishes downloading, so I can't stop it (unless someone can point my lazy ass to how to deactivate the automatic unzipping, I just don't care enough to find it ).
Old May 23, 2003, 16:07   #47
EZRhino
Prince

Local Time: 18:16
Location: Sunset and the evening star And one clear call for me.
I have the same problem, its something to do with winzip. Just right click and save target as'.

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!
Old May 30, 2003, 13:54   #48
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Just to update, thanks Arthedain, that worked perfectly (and any other time I have that problem, it isn't the first).

Scen's looking excellent; I can't wait for a PBEM.
Old May 30, 2003, 16:49   #49
Boco
King

Looks excellent indeed! If it's not duplicating someone else's effort, I'll send you a list of typos/corrections on Sunday. Do you want any feedback on the tech tree? If so, I'll take a look at that as well. Since I'm easily overwhelmed as a player, I'd want to do that before testing, anyway.

Still amazed at your ability to sift through EA without a readme!
Old May 31, 2003, 09:49   #50
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Initial impressions:

- Maybe too much starting gold for France; they have twice as much as Britain.

- I understand the rationale with railroads in the readme, but I'm still worried about them. If a player doesn't have the time or units necessary to pillage his railroads, Sverdlovsk is effectively moments away from Minsk, and Bordeaux from Strasbourg. With a 1/8 multiplier, units can still move a reasonable amount between friendly cities but still be limited on the attack. That's realistic anyway since forces did take time to get to the front anyway. After being in some good games that were ruined by Xin-esque wipeouts, I really don't trust railroads in any situation.

- You can build SS Structural and Apollo Program with the Heavy Armor tech, SS Module with Sloped Armor, and SS Component with Terror Bombing. Guessing you've found this though, along with the settler designations.

- Not a big deal, but fortresses haven't been renamed 'stackable' yet.

- Spellings like Genevre and Svestapol make sense to me, but I've never heard the spellings Monsul, Bagdad, and Bengzhani. Are these common?

- A lot of cities (Freiburg and Tambov for instance, among others) aren't visible to other players at the start of the game.

- What does the 'Imp.' before medium armor stand for?

- Why does this hella-cool scorched earth thing only happen in Switzerland?

- Are Maginot Line bunkers supposed to be this easy to beat? It was a failure because it could be bypassed; the line itself was actually pretty strong. In the game each segment can be defeated with just veteran artillery, even the segment on hills.

Anyway, these are just nitpicks; altogether it's golden. Graphics , unit balance , tech tree . Civ balance, we'll see.

Last edited by Darius871; June 2, 2003 at 11:48.
Old June 2, 2003, 11:46   #51
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Oh yeah, after enough hours of watching my engineers never complete roads, I realized grasslands and plains have a move cost of 86!
Old June 3, 2003, 09:08   #52
Case
Emperor

Thanks Darius

Quote:
- Maybe too much starting gold for France; they have twice as much as Britain.
OK, I'll fix that.

Quote:
With a 1/8 multiplier, units can still move a reasonable amount between friendly cities but still be limited on the attack. That's realistic anyway since forces did take time to get to the front anyway. After being in some good games that were ruined by Xin-esque wipeouts, I really don't trust railroads in any situation.
I'm slowly coming to that conclusion as well. The kicker however is that it didn't take more then a few days for a first rate nation to move major units from one side of the country to the other...

Quote:
You can build SS Structural and Apollo Program with the Heavy Armor tech, SS Module with Sloped Armor, and SS Component with Terror Bombing. Guessing you've found this though, along with the settler designations.
Thanks now fixed (thanks to Henrik spotting it within 24 hours of getting the files).

Quote:
- Spellings like Genevre and Svestapol make sense to me, but I've never heard the spellings Monsul, Bagdad, and Bengzhani. Are these common?
Urm, yes. Everybody who sucks at spelling call those cities by those names

Quote:
A lot of cities (Freiburg and Tambov for instance, among others) aren't visible to other players at the start of the game.
That's now fixed as well.

Quote:
What does the 'Imp.' before medium armor stand for?
Improved. (think the Sherman Firefly, T-34/85 and late model Pz IV)

Quote:
Why does this hella-cool scorched earth thing only happen in Switzerland?
Because the Swiss are the only ones who wired their their entire country for detenation (seriously!) I did have it for Sweden and the major Russian cities, but the effect wasn't convincing (and it would make attacking the Russian cities extreamly expensive).

Quote:
Are Maginot Line bunkers supposed to be this easy to beat? It was a failure because it could be bypassed; the line itself was actually pretty strong. In the game each segment can be defeated with just veteran artillery, even the segment on hills.
The Maginot Line should be pretty tough - I need to fix it's stats.

Quote:
Oh yeah, after enough hours of watching my engineers never complete roads, I realized grasslands and plains have a move cost of 86!
Due to a quirk in the civ engine, that move cost actually translates as something like 1 1/3 movement points. However, if it means that new roads can't be built then it's not worth it.

Quote:
Anyway, these are just nitpicks; altogether it's golden. Graphics , unit balance , tech tree . Civ balance, we'll see.
I'm pleased to hear that!
Old June 3, 2003, 10:38   #53
fairline
King

Local Time: 01:16
Case, can you post some screenshots. I'm dying to see what this looks like.
Old June 3, 2003, 12:41   #54
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:

I'm slowly coming to that conclusion as well. The kicker however is that it didn't take more then a few days for a first rate nation to move major units from one side of the country to the other...
Then again each turn represents what, a month? It takes a freighter here 8 turns (months) to cross the Mediterranean, when we know it only would have taken a matter of days. You can't try to recreate time periods realistically in scenarios, just do whatever works for playability and balance.

Quote:

Because the Swiss are the only ones who wired their their entire country for detenation (seriously!)
That kicks ass!

Quote:

Due to a quirk in the civ engine, that move cost actually translates as something like 1 1/3 movement points.
Yeah, I noticed that too, when my engineers ended up with 1/3 movement when they went on plains (meaning 1 2/3 cost). I almost reported that as a bug, but then looked at the terrain. For a while I thought we weren't supposed to build roads or something...

Quote:
Originally posted by fairline
Case, can you post some screenshots. I'm dying to see what this looks like.
There's a few in the old thread:

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...88#post1208988
Old June 3, 2003, 13:12   #55
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
I was going to put this in my next mail (but you never replied to my last one so I never got around to writing it ) but I think you should get rid of the "neutral" units.

Rather I think you should allow the neutrals to build the same defencive units as everyone else. As it is now they are way to good, some nations, like Belgium and Poland should be possible to overrun surely?
As of now heay bombers are required en masse to destroy the often 8+ unit stacks of neutral imobiles.

As Darius says you should strengthen the maginot line I think, and make it 100%+ vs air or something (it perishes way to easily in bombing raids).

There are a few unit bugs around (apart from the Me 109s )

For instance medium bombers can attack other air units, making them easily the best interceptors around with their gigantic attack stats.

Also heavy bombers have way to high range allowances it seems (100+ moves)

The churchill tanks are settlers

I also personally dislike the current shield icon as I think it's hard to distinguish (sp?) but that's up to you ofcourse
Old June 3, 2003, 15:54   #56
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:

I was going to put this in my next mail (but you never replied to my last one so I never got around to writing it ) but I think you should get rid of the "neutral" units.

Rather I think you should allow the neutrals to build the same defencive units as everyone else. As it is now they are way to good, some nations, like Belgium and Poland should be possible to overrun surely?
As of now heay bombers are required en masse to destroy the often 8+ unit stacks of neutral imobiles.
Personally I didn't mind the immobiles, and more specifically I see a lot of problems with the AI building regular units and moving them around, weakening its own defense.

I think it'd be enough just to make the units quite a bit weaker; it did get ridiculous watching the AI melt entire armies in Poland to no avail. It took me a loooooong time to take the Low Countries myself.

Quote:

There are a few unit bugs around (apart from the Me 109s )

Actually at least half a dozen of the units have the wrong designators; I was going to list them but I thought you meant the Me-109's as one example of many, and he was going through all of them.
Old June 3, 2003, 16:21   #57
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
I suspected as much, and I think I reported some in my last mail.
But these where those I had taken down in my testers notes that I had not yet marked as sent.
Old June 3, 2003, 19:04   #58
Case
Emperor

Quote:
I was going to put this in my next mail (but you never replied to my last one so I never got around to writing it )
Sorry

Quote:
but I think you should get rid of the "neutral" units.

For a number of reasons, I really don't want the neutrals to have any offencive capability whatsoever.
These reasons are:
1) The neutral countries weren't actually allied. As a result, it would be stuipid for Belgium to invade Germany following a German attack on Czekoslovakia.
2) I didn't want neutrals wandering around and bloking the roads
3) I've put a lot of effort into making the neutrals hapless, and don't want to unpick half the scenario to change this

My philospohy for the various neutrals is that they give the players some room to expand, but at a high price.

Quote:
For instance medium bombers can attack other air units, making them easily the best interceptors around with their gigantic attack stats.

Also heavy bombers have way to high range allowances it seems (100+ moves)
Oops!

Quote:
Fixed.

Quote:
I also personally dislike the current shield icon as I think it's hard to distinguish (sp?) but that's up to you ofcourse
Yeah, it is a bit lacking. I just don't want to use either the actual shield image or Nemo's bullet.
Old June 3, 2003, 22:28   #59
Boco
King

Beer as Lux!
Old June 4, 2003, 04:04   #60
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Beer as Lux!
The nurses are meant to represent government services, which seems to have been what people wanted back in the 30s and 40s. I'll change the name from 'luxuries' to 'services' when I get around to doing the labels.txt.

BTW, the following units bit the dust today:

Patrol Aircraft: was replaced by Armoured Recon (2x visibility and diplomat (not spy) ability.

Churchill Tank: was replaced by Centurion tank. The Churchill sucked - what was I thinking when I included it?

U-Boat: replaced by Deisal-Electric Sub. German U-Boats were nothing special, while diesal-electric subs were revolutionary.