Old May 12, 2003, 05:13   #1
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 01:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
NK launced bio balloon bombs at Japan in '99?!?
Inside News From Japan:

The Weekly Post Special:
Balloon Bomb May Have Already Reached Japan from North Korea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relations between Japan and North Korea are deteriorating, and not only due to the issue of the abduction of Japanese civilians by North Korean spies.

During July and August, a large, unidentified balloon reached the coast of Japan. The Japanese law enforcement authority confidentially recovered it. The balloon is now believed to have come from North Korea.

The arrival of the balloon prompted the Japanese government to secretly alert local governments to prepare for possible attacks by the North Koreans.

1. Balloon With Bio-Chemical Weapon

A source at the Cabinet Office told The Weekly Post, "The balloon was 10 meters in diameter and made of polyethylene. It had a bottle hung from it which was equipped with a timer. Fortunately, the bottle was empty, but could have contained bio-chemical weapons such as smallpox, anthrax or sarin gas, according to sources at Japan's Self Defense Force and police department,

"It seemed to have been designed to be a time bomb. A report was made to Prime Minister Koizumi who decided not to disclose the information to the public. At that time, the Japanese government was engaged in tough negotiations with the North Korean government for realizing a meeting between the two leaders. The Japanese government did not want to the nation to increase its ambivalence towards North Korea."

Last summer, negotiations between Japan and North Korean Red Cross organizations had been reopened, which helped diplomatic dialogue progress between the two countries. Also, the North Korean government was repeatedly demonstrating its covert operations such as sending spy boats to the Sea of Japan in order to influence the negotiation.

The balloon was first found in a mountain near Taraki-cho town, Kumamoto Prefecture in Kyushu Island. It was found last April.

A witness who first found the balloon remarked, "I found the balloon in a forest 250-meters away from a trail. People in our town will not enter such a forest. When I was walking in the forest to decide what trees we should cut down, I found that four or five white cedar trees had died and their trunks had rotted. Also, I noticed abnormal growth of weeds under those trees,

"I wondered what caused the trees to die and the growth of the abnormal weeds. Then, about 150 meters away from there, I saw a large balloon made of vinyl on the ground. I guessed that it was a sheet of vinyl used for green houses by neighboring farmers that may have been blown by strong winds. I just left it there. I had a chance to revisit the site with my colleagues and checked the balloon. Surprisingly, one string of the balloon had a timer device and two bottles. We immediately reported it to the police."

On the side of the timer device was marked '99-12-236" with a fluorescent pen, which led us to believe that the balloon reached there in 1999. When the bottles were found, they contained liquid, but it was considered that rain water had gotten into the bottles.

However, the death of the white cedar trees and abnormal weed growth raised suspicion that the bottle could have contained chemicals. There was a possibility that when the balloon reached the site, the timer worked, sprayed the chemicals and killed the trees.

2. Counter Terrorist Attacks

As soon as the Prime Minister Residential Office confirmed the arrival of the balloon, it decided to allocate enough funds to cope with possible terrorist attacks. The budget included coverage of the costs for developing and producing vaccines for smallpox and anthrax germs and enough antidotes for sarin gas to treat 10-million Japanese.

"It is difficult for us to anticipate where these balloon bombs would land if they come. They are really scary. They may hit reservoirs or residential areas. That's why we decided to produce those vaccines and antidotes," said an executive of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare.

The Health Ministry issued a notice to the governors of prefectures on October 29. The notice says, "As indicated in the guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of infections by anthrax, smallpox, or generated by wild rabbits, please establish a system to consult with medical experts to cope with such problems."

The ministry also decided to hold training sessions for the doctors at emergency disease services centers and hospitals to cope with possible chemical weapon attacks. The Health Ministry said, "We are alerting them of possible terrorist attacks by bio-chemical weapons, but we are not specifying who will attack or what kind of weapons will be used."

Of course, attacks by balloon bombs are included in the possible attack cases.

Professor Hirosuke Tanaka in the Earth Science Department of Tsukuba University said, "The strongest jet stream in the prevailing westerlies is blowing from west to east over Japan. In the winter, its velocity reaches 360 kilometers an hour and in the summer, it reaches around 108 kilometer. The balloon in the question must have been brought by such strong winds,

"The westerlies are constantly streaming along the latitude and North Korea and Japan's Northeastern region are located on the same latitude. Therefore, balloon bombs are likely to hit that area. Of course, meteorological conditions will change the direction of the balloon bombs. They will not necessarily hit the Northeaster region. They may hit other parts of Japan. All of Japan is exposed to the danger of balloon bomb attacks."

The Prime Minister's Residential Office has reopened the negotiation for normalizing diplomatic ties with the North Korean government after Prime Minister Koizumi's meeting with North Korean leader Kim. The Prime Minister's Office should alert the nation of the danger of possible attacks by balloon bombs from North Korea.

Mr. Kelly, the US Assistant Secretary of State stated publicly that North Korea had not only nuclear weapons but also bio-chemical weapons. The Japanese government should take proper measures to counter any types of attack by North Korea.

http://www.weeklypost.com/021118/021118a.htm
Old May 12, 2003, 06:19   #2
Winston
Emperor

Local Time: 03:17
We should send UN balloon inspectors there forthwith.
Old May 12, 2003, 06:22   #3
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 01:17
Old May 12, 2003, 06:24   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

How high-tech !!, looks like they won't be needing their nukes afterall
Old May 12, 2003, 06:30   #5
BeBro
Emperor

Reminds me on Roswell 1947
Old May 12, 2003, 06:40   #6
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I say enough beating around the bush and kick some N. Korean a**.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 12, 2003, 06:43   #7
BeBro
Emperor

Yeah, before they launch all their BMDs
Old May 12, 2003, 06:45   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I hope The US won't get caught by surprise with these, what with the balloons speed and all..
Old May 12, 2003, 06:51   #9
BeBro
Emperor

But then they might have a secret balloon defense system....
Old May 12, 2003, 07:00   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 20:17
Little kids with slingshots?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 12, 2003, 07:01   #11
alva
Deity

Richard Branson ?
Old May 12, 2003, 09:36   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:17
Watch out for those stealth balloons.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:32   #13
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 18:17
Didn't Japan lauch balloon bombs against the US during World War II?? I think they did. Does anyone recall?
Old May 12, 2003, 10:34   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:17
Yeah, the Japanese did use balloon bombs vs. the USA during WWII.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:35   #15
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:17
Quote:
Didn't Japan lauch balloon bombs against the US during World War II?? I think they did. Does anyone recall?
Yeah. It wasnt really effective though.
Old May 12, 2003, 15:11   #16
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

there theory was that the entire western U.S. was wooded, and the incindery ballong bombs would spark massive forest fires undermining the war effort.

Didn't work of course.

Now days it may work a little better with global warming and drier weather in the west.
Old May 12, 2003, 15:47   #17
Q Classic
Emperor

I say enough beating around the bush and getting a comprehensive new policy dealing with korea, something which this bush hasn't done...
Old May 12, 2003, 15:48   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zkribbler
Hundreds of them got launched from Japan but less then a dozen made it across the Pacific. When I was a student studying geology these was actually a case study because a geologist determined where in Japan the bombs were coming from and the Aircorp capet bombed the whole city.

A geologist actually studied the diatoms i(microscope marine organisms which make shells to live in) in the sand which the balloon used a ballast and narrowed the source of the sand down to one two mile stretch of beach in Japan.

We geologists rock, baby.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 12, 2003, 15:48   #19
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
I say enough beating around the bush and getting a comprehensive new policy dealing with korea, something which this bush hasn't done...
I say let the South Koreans go first.
Old May 12, 2003, 19:36   #20
alva
Deity

Quote:
Now days it may work a little better with global warming and drier weather in the west.
You mean to say it's a conspiracy to destroy the west??? Damned terrorrists ?let's react and go green, stop driving your car in the name of war on terror !!!
Old May 13, 2003, 17:48   #21
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Yeah, the Japanese did use balloon bombs vs. the USA during WWII.

-Arrian

hi ,

yep they did , yet most of them came up in mexico , some even as far as boulder but the project was stopped due to funding , ......

imagine how the american people would have reacted when large amounts would have hit the big orange , or frisco , ....

have a nice day
Old May 13, 2003, 17:51   #22
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
I say let the South Koreans go first.
go as in change policy or go as in get killed?