Old May 12, 2003, 18:49   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Arab terrorists are at it again.
Breaking news: A series of bombs went off in RIYADH, Saudi Arabia damaging a complex housing western workers. Here are the links for Fox, CNN, and BBC.

No word yet on casualties but it is clear the terrorists are going after civilians because the U.S. Military compounds are to hard of a target for cowardly Arab terrorists.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 12, 2003, 18:52   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Interestingly enough last week the CIA tipped off the Saudis about an eminent Al Qaeda bomb plot and several suspects were arrested along with hundreds of pounds of explosives. Apparently, this didn't prevent the terror plot.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 12, 2003, 19:23   #3
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 04:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
In Saudi Arabia.. doesn't surprise me much.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old May 12, 2003, 19:39   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Sadly, we have come to expect this sort of activities from Wahabists.
Old May 12, 2003, 21:20   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I"m so glad we are leaving Sauidi Arabia

but we all know they will come up with another excuse to target the U.S. once we leave the holy lands.
Old May 12, 2003, 21:33   #6
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 20:18
Yup....Probably U.S. presence in Iraq.
Old May 12, 2003, 21:58   #7
Ned
King

Local Time: 17:18
Alright, Oerdin, I'll move my observation concerning the Shi'ites here to your thread.

The fun has begun in Saudi Arabia

We all expected this, a Shi'ite "revolt" of some kind in Saudi Arabia. Well it looks like it has begun, but peacefully.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D7QVLEM80.html

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20.../D7QVLEM80.html
Old May 12, 2003, 22:04   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:18
Once again.
Cowards and murderers.
Old May 12, 2003, 22:06   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Alright, Oerdin, I'll move my observation concerning the Shi'ites here to your thread.
Thank you.
Old May 12, 2003, 22:28   #10
Spiffor

Ned :
Good to see they have used the peaceful approach. The fact that the Shiites believe something can be achieved thorugh peaceful means is excellent news IMHO, and gives me much hope in Saudi's stability in the future. I sure hope the royal family won't flunk it, and won't punish the Shiites for having raised their voice.
Old May 12, 2003, 22:31   #11
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 19:18
Hmm...fundamentalist Islamic terrorists blowing things up...

Surprise, surprise.
Old May 12, 2003, 23:53   #12
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Ned :
Good to see they have used the peaceful approach. The fact that the Shiites believe something can be achieved thorugh peaceful means is excellent news IMHO, and gives me much hope in Saudi's stability in the future. I sure hope the royal family won't flunk it, and won't punish the Shiites for having raised their voice.
I've got some really nice Florida real estate I'd like to sell you.

"War is a continuation of policy by other means" - von Clausewitz.

"Policy is a continuation of war by other means" - MtG

The Shiites are a minority in Saudi, and a non-entity in Iraq at the present time. However, Shiite status in Iraq will change, especially once the US gets out, so slow maneuvering in Saudi is timely - if the royals make concessions, the Shiites in Saudi are emboldened to push for more, and have more leverage the greater role they have in Saudi government.

If the royals don't make any concessions, like the great shaftola everyone else got after the first Gulf War led to a little cultural contamination, then the Shiite frustration level is built up to a nice simmer, pending developments in Iraq.

Straight up confrontation by the Shiites now would be crazy - they have no hope of gaining anything, but pushing gently in the political arena is a no-lose situation for them. To say the goal is benign is just a little crazy, given the nature of the leadership and their geographic position at the industrialized world's de facto scrotum.
Old May 13, 2003, 00:14   #13
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Straight up confrontation by the Shiites now would be crazy - they have no hope of gaining anything, but pushing gently in the political arena is a no-lose situation for them.
Yes. But the simple fact that some Shiite elites are trying to push for political reformism rather than armed rebellion prooves that the Shiites are led by pragmatical people. They'll naturally try to milk as much as possible from the Saud's fear of an Iraqi-shiite infection, but they seem to be prone not to favor a civil war of some kind.

And this is good.
Old May 13, 2003, 00:17   #14
Ned
King

Well, it looks like the Shi'ites going to have the majority in Iraq. So if the Saudis do not play ball with their own Shi'ite minority population and the Saudi Shi'ites revolt, they can receive material support from their brothers across the border in Iraq. Clearly the Saudis know this. If the Saudis make enough concessions, there will be peace. Otherwise, the Shi'ites may revolt. If active hostilities begin, anything can happen. Iraq might be drawn into the conflict.

Regardless of how things go, we will be put in the very uncomfortable position of having to choose sides between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. I think I know what side would choose to support.

I wonder if this issus will be on the agenda for tomorrow's talks between Powell and the Saudis. Particularly, I wonder if the Saudis may ask us to put a lid on Shi'ite political power.
Old May 13, 2003, 00:20   #15
Ned
King

Quote:

Yes. But the simple fact that some Shiite elites are trying to push for political reformism rather than armed rebellion prooves that the Shiites are led by pragmatical people. They'll naturally try to milk as much as possible from the Saud's fear of an Iraqi-shiite infection, but they seem to be prone not to favor a civil war of some kind.

And this is good.
Yes it is. It may suggest that the Shi'ites will ultimately play ball in Iraq. The question I have, though, is will the Saudi's ask us to "control" the Iraqi Shi'ites in some fashion. After all, they really fear the Shi'ites and their ultimate big brother, Iran.
Old May 13, 2003, 00:21   #16
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:

Yes. But the simple fact that some Shiite elites are trying to push for political reformism rather than armed rebellion prooves that the Shiites are led by pragmatical people.
I'd rather deal with blind fanatics, then strategic fanatics. There's nothing to indicate that the goals here are different. The strategy is in pushing political discontent among the population up, to be ready as the situation develops in Iraq.

Quote:
They'll naturally try to milk as much as possible from the Saud's fear of an Iraqi-shiite infection, but they seem to be prone not to favor a civil war of some kind.
Not yet.

Quote:
And this is good.
Shiite Iran + Shiite Iraq to be + Shiite push in Saudi (not to mention Kuwait, as an afterthought once the Saudis have their minds right) = Shiite control of Mecca and Medina plus most of the world's oil. It's definitely good for them.
Old May 13, 2003, 00:21   #17
Spiffor

As long as the oil production isn't resurrected in Iraq, the US will have no other choice but to support SA. Besides, it is in the US highest interests to avoid the Shiites to take too much power, so I think that "putting a lid" on the Shiites was on the American agenda since the fall of Saddam
Old May 13, 2003, 00:27   #18
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

They're patient people. Other empires have come and gone, so will we. Khomeini hung out in exile for 15 years, not to mention all the time he was a pain in the ass before then.

With the infidels talking democracy in Iraq, it will be very hard to derail riled-up Shiite political parties and movements.
Old May 13, 2003, 00:31   #19
Spiffor

I wonder if Iraq will become an Islamic theocracy similar to Iran, an semi-Islamic republic ŕ la Turkey, or a very decentralized country ŕ la Belgium where the SHiites will have nearly all the power in their province, but with little influence on the other provinces.

This will depend on the willingness and the calculations of the various opinionmakers, i.e whether they'll find it more cost-efficient to sort out things with or without fighting.
Old May 13, 2003, 00:51   #20
Ned
King

I'd like to throw into the mix that there have been many discussions between the US and Iran recently - so much so that State had to deny that we would normalize relations between Iran and the US. However, to the extent that I could read body language, the Iranian ambassador to the UN was very cordial and complementary of the US.

This is good. So, even though things might go sour fast, it does look like things are moving in the right direction across the board, except for al Qa'ida.
Old May 13, 2003, 01:31   #21
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

You're always nice to the guy with the gun. Until he turns his back.
Old May 13, 2003, 02:13   #22
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:18
Quote:
or a very decentralized country ŕ la Belgium where the SHiites will have nearly all the power in their province, but with little influence on the other provinces.
and where is the Shia province of Belgium?
Old May 13, 2003, 02:18   #23
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

TIME FOR SOME MF'ING PAYBACK

Mis Novias
Old May 13, 2003, 02:31   #24
Oerdin
Deity

The good news is only one civilian was killed in all three of the suicide bomber attacks.

More of the bad guys died then innocents.
Old May 13, 2003, 03:06   #25
Chemical Ollie
King

Some Arabs are p!ssed. I wonder why?
Old May 13, 2003, 03:13   #26
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Because the USA is the root of all evil, etc.

Mis Novias
Old May 13, 2003, 03:19   #27
CyberGnu
King

Local Time: 01:18
Quote:
The good news is only one civilian was killed in all three of the suicide bomber attacks.

More of the bad guys died then innocents.
And what were the other nine guilty of?

BTW, it's four attacks now, apparently.
Old May 13, 2003, 03:21   #28
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:18
According to the US ambassador in Saudi Arabia, 10 people were killed in these bombings.
Old May 13, 2003, 03:24   #29
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Israel is also the root of all evil.

Jews run the US therefore US should be bombed.

Mis Novias
Old May 13, 2003, 03:29   #30
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

MichaeltheGreat, Ming, rah, and MarkG should also be bombed.

Mis Novias