Old May 12, 2003, 19:12   #1
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sid Meier's next game! YARRRR!
http://pc.ign.com/articles/401/401956p1.html

Quote:
E3 2003: Pirates Sequel at E3?
Avast ye mateys! The rumor cannon has fired, and now we're in search of a golden treasure.

May 12, 2003 - We've known that Sid Meier and the Firaxis team have been working on a new game to be unveiled at E3 this year for quite some time. Rumors abounded as what it might be. A sequel to Alpha Centauri perhaps? Civilization IV? Colonization II? Something completely new? Our minds were racing as to what the possibilities may be.
While we've already secured an appointment to see Firaxis' next big project at E3, we still didn't know exactly what it was...until today. When we checked our mail this morning, we found a scroll that gave us all the answers, and it appears one of our all-time favorite games may be getting a facelift for the 21st century. The invite we received today clearly points to what the announcement is going to be: a sequel to Pirates! appears to be in the works.

From our Top 25 PC Games of All Time story we ran back in 2000:

The greatest tribute to Sid Meier's greatness was Pirates!, a naval strategy/adventure game that even now has never been approached in its subtlety and ability to entertain. You started the game as a citizen from one of four different nationalities (English, Spanish, Dutch or French) with a long lost sister to rescue (a foreshadowing of the X-Files if I've ever seen one) and a thirst for adventure. After outfitting your ship with a crew, food to feed them and guns to fire at your enemies, you set to the sea in search of adventure. You could either play the game as a raw pirate sliding from island to island looking for any ships you could loot and sink or you could ask the various governors that you encountered for letters of cachet that would reward you richly for sinking their enemies. The latter tactic could lead to gold, titles of nobility and better and better marriage prospects. The game also featured several different forms of combat (all equally entertaining) which allowed captains who preferred hand fighting to lock with their enemies as quickly as possible and those who favored traditional naval battles to dance nimbly out of range while peppering their foes with their cannons. If you were really lucky, you could discover a treasure map that would lead you to a fortune or you could get information that would lead you to the treasure fleet (although the latter wouldn't give up its gold without a fight). One of those rare games that managed to give something to everyone.

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMedia...Dpartner

Notice the map of the Caribbean? Notice the pirate ships on the left side of the map? Notice the big red "X" that marks the spot? Notice the obligatory "shiver me timbers" pirate speak? Notice the promise of free cocktails? There's no doubt in our minds now that Firaxis' announcement is going to be Pirates II, a rebirth of a classic. While we don't have any gameplay details at this point, you better believe we're already excited about the prospect of taking to the high seas again.
Old May 12, 2003, 19:38   #2
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Old May 12, 2003, 21:41   #3
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 20:19
Great. Now as long as they don't make a Pirates III too soon, following semi-recent trends...all's well, aye captain!
Old May 12, 2003, 21:55   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 18:19
call me a pessimist, but I feel this may go the way of civ3
Old May 12, 2003, 21:56   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I should mention in this thread I have never played the original game of Pirates
Old May 12, 2003, 22:30   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

I would love to play the original again, but my 5.25" disks have unfortunately gone the way of the dodo.
Old May 12, 2003, 22:31   #7
Tuberski

Local Time: 20:19
I never played the original, so the desire to see a sequel is pretty low.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 12, 2003, 23:08   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:19
New Forum !!!!
Old May 13, 2003, 00:18   #9
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 11:19
I never played Pirates either, but it sounds like fun!
Old May 13, 2003, 00:19   #10
Skanky Burns

/me laughs at all the poor schlepps that haven't ever experienced playing Pirates.

Old May 13, 2003, 00:22   #11
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Local Time: 01:19
There is a god! He answered my prayers!

(Pirates! still remains my all time favorate game. I missed it so much, I downloaded an emulator just to play the Amega Version of it)
Old May 13, 2003, 00:41   #12
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Pirates II?

Oh...
*yawns (EDIT: )and gets in a good minute-long full-body stretch*
...goody.

I WANT MY COLONIZATION II DAMN IT!!!

EDIT: Sorry, had to tone down my enthusiasm even further...

...'Cause I wanted to be more of a sarcastic butthead.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old May 13, 2003, 02:07   #13
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

http://apolyton.net/misc/
Quote:
According to the image in question, a more specific date and time has been set for the unveiling: this Wednesday, March 14th from 6-7:30PM PST. - DanQ
March?
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old May 13, 2003, 02:10   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

It does look good though.

I just hope they do it right. With civ3 all I really wanted was civ2 with prettier graphics.

So I hope they don't screw this game up by making it simpler like civ3.
Old May 13, 2003, 02:26   #15
bullen
Civilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Settler

Pirates is the best game ever.

If they are planing a CIV IV i centenly hope that they will come up whit something new. Like the Fantasy and Sciensfiction versions of CIV II in test of time. ok bad example but i think its time to take CIV to another level.

Even if CIV is one of the best games ever made there not perfect.

Old May 13, 2003, 03:03   #16
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I remeber that I red somewhere in a Swedish paper during Sid Meier's visit in Sweden that the next game "could be" a sequel to Pirates. Guess it was right. (IIRC I did translate that article)
Old May 13, 2003, 04:59   #17
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:19
I played the one on Sega Genesis, if that counts.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old May 13, 2003, 05:15   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Could someone tell me what Pirates is all about? I've never played it... haven't even seen it...
Old May 13, 2003, 05:26   #19
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Its cool. That description in the opening post is pretty accurate. Basically you start with one ship a small pirate crew. Once you have captured a few ships, which you experience while moving your ship around a map of the caribean you can hire a bigger crew which allows you to sack towns and cities. If you attack the cities belonging to the correct nation while being nice to others you can aquire rank and lands, which count towards your score. You can also look for your lost family members as well as buried treasure or the silver train or spanish treasure fleet.

It was a fun game for its time.
Old May 13, 2003, 06:09   #20
Kropotkin
Emperor

I'm not sure I'd want that. I'm affraid they'll screw it up (again) and a childhood memory will be violated.
Old May 13, 2003, 06:12   #21
Kropotkin
Emperor

Makeo: You forgot about getting hooked up with lovely ladies.

An aspect of the game that greatly improved when I got a version with pictures and saw just how ugly the 'easiest' majors daughter was.
Old May 13, 2003, 06:21   #22
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well, I can only say that this is welcome news. MoM2 would also have been welcome news, of course, as would SMAC2 or Col2. I'm not fussy. I'll be buying this for Christmas (???)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 13, 2003, 06:32   #23
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sure, but not this year
Old May 13, 2003, 09:04   #24
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
Pirates! was great in its day, but the gameplay was pretty repetitive. Blend it with a dash of "The Guild" so that you can play a pirate, merchant, weaponsmith and so on while establishing a dynasty and I would be really excited.
Old May 13, 2003, 09:21   #25
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:19
Sweet! I LOVE Pirates! Hell, I still have a copy on my computer.

I really hope that if they really are making a Pirates! II, that they do it well.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 13, 2003, 09:25   #26
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Looks interesting! I've never played Pirates!, but I have heard it's good.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old May 13, 2003, 11:06   #27
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 02:19
Woohoo, it looks like I'm going to be wrong about this after all.

That makes me SOOOO HAPPY!!!

Of course, there is a chance it could turn out to be a total dog... But if it's got half as much addiction as the original did in its day, well, gonna be a great grame.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 13, 2003, 13:56   #28
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
Hm, Pirates? Nice.

Ok, I am a fan of the original game -- as others have said, a game incredibly good for its time. They'll have to put in some new and interesting features, though, otherwise we'll end up with another SimGolf: fun and enjoyable for the first minutes (ok, hours) and then... nothing more.

Maybe if they make it as a RPG...
Old May 13, 2003, 14:05   #29
Kropotkin
Emperor

Looking at the picture for a while, it could be Colonization II as well. It's just that text that gets it a more of a Pirates! impression.
Old May 13, 2003, 14:37   #30
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I would love to play the original again, but my 5.25" disks have unfortunately gone the way of the dodo.
Seeing as 5.25 drives are getting harder to find these days. You wouldn't be able to anyway. It came on a bootable 5.25 floppies originally.

If you want to play Pirates!. Try the Amiga version it is/was the best version available.
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer