Old May 13, 2003, 15:25   #31
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I still have my Tandy1000 (which I originally played Pirates on). So yes, I would be able to play if the disks hadn't deteriorated.

I might just try that Amiga version though.
Old May 13, 2003, 15:44   #32
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 01:19
This is long overdue - i still play it on my amiga, one of the top 10 best games of all time(on any platform).
All it needs is the ability to setup your own colonies and manage them(so throw in a bit of Civ!) and i'd never leave the high seas.
All that remains to be seen is if the publisher can NOT push it out before it is ready, which would be a novelty and ensure the games place in history.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old May 13, 2003, 15:51   #33
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Quote:
All it needs is the ability to setup your own colonies and manage them(so throw in a bit of Civ!) and i'd never leave the high seas.
I doubt that would work out. The essance of Pirates! was that of like a RPG with no set goals. It was never a building game like the Civ or Colonization Series, and to add this into such a great game would make it worse insted of better.

Maybe the ability to found colonies (but not manage them) would be good, and also a larger map other than the Carrabean, such as Europe, and the Medeteranian, and new playable counties like the Barbary Pirates, or the Ottoman Empire (or Portugal).
Old May 13, 2003, 16:26   #34
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 02:19
One problem that may stop many posters from playing the original Pirates - is the copy protection. You need to enter certain dates from the manual for the Silver Train and Treasure Fleet.

In other words - if you haven't got an original manual (and the map helps a lot too) don't bother getting it.

I guess if you were really persistent, you could just enter any old dates until you got lucky... it's not my idea of fun.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 13, 2003, 16:54   #35
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
Cruddy: Who needs the manual for that, doesn't everyone know them by heart?!

Seriously, I kind of did know them, but iirc, you can find those dates on the internet.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:26   #36
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You can find those on the internet. I did, and printed them out, along with the map - though I DO have that memorized. Hell, gimme 1 piece of one of the treasure maps and 9 times out of 10 I know just where it is.

The problem with my copy of Pirates! is that it's buggy. If my party accumulates more than 320K gold, it freaks out. Occasionally, it freaks out for no reason. Another issue appears to be trying to get titles from 3 different countries... and/or pirate amnesties.

Despite all that (big time bugs) I still occasionally fire it up and play. It's just plain fun.

The greatness of Pirates! is its simplicity. Adding features is ok and all, but not too much. I hope they keep it relatively simple. Update the graphics. Maybe add more theatres of play (East African Coastline/India, South China Sea, etc.) and time periods. Allow some ship customization. But I don't think that "Civ-like" features would actually improve the game.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:32   #37
Cruddy
Warlord

They could really go over board on the ship boarding sequence - but wouldn't all the smoke make it chug?

I was hoping for some kind of "duelling" swordplay - I can't think of a single game where this has been done in 3D.

I don't mean beat-em-ups like Tekken or Toshinden. I mean a system that is fun but actually uses the theory of swordplay (sixte, carte etc).

Now THAT would be innovative. Or has it been done?
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 13, 2003, 17:49   #38
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:19
Quote:
The greatness of Pirates! is its simplicity.
Repeated as it is so true.

Another bug was that if you marched into a town (say, to loot them without the townspeople hiding their gold) and then saved the game while your ships were elsewhere, that save game would be invalid.
Old May 13, 2003, 17:55   #39
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 20:19
How well versed in swordplay theory do you think the average was?

This is definitely a wait and see, although I have to say I’d be more interested in Colonization II, or MoM II, or gee maybe even actually something new… too many twos
Old May 13, 2003, 18:04   #40
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Only Chris Sawyer will never make a Transport Tycoon II.

As for this game, I know I won't preorder it. Let's see those reviews first.
--Woody Allen
Old May 13, 2003, 18:32   #41
Mahdimael
Prince

I played Pirates! Gold all the time, even on my win98 machine (it would crash a lot).

If that truly is the game they're (re)making, the main thing is for it to be open-ended.

I remember you used to be able to get titles in Pirates. I'd love to see this expanded into some sort of in-game ability, like if you became an Admiral you would be in charge of whatever fleet you had a letter of marque in, or you could become Governor and develop and defend a colony.

My only concern would be that there's a plethora of Pirate games coming out- Pirates of the Burning Sea (mmorpg), Sea Dogs II/Pirates of the Caribbean, Port Royale, the recently released Tropico II and I think there's one more. In that sense, I'd love to see a different game altogether.

Then again, who's to say that Firaxis isn't just pulling one over on everyone and will announce something completely different?
Old May 13, 2003, 18:55   #42
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'd wait to see how Pirates! II turns out before buying it. It seems fun, but many pirate games have been wasted recently, and Firaxis/Atari have proven to love rushing their products...

What I really hope is that the whole Firaxis team isn't working on Pirates! II, and that there is a dedicated team to make a second expansion to Civ3 (This second expansion would hopefully be announced during the E3 as well). Otherwise, I would really feel bad for the wasted potential of Civ3
Old May 13, 2003, 20:51   #43
tniem
King

Pirates 2? I am looking forward to it with big ifs and buts looming. One is that this is through Infogrames again (yes, yes with a new name but it is still the same organization that makes a cheap quick buck). Second, I am afraid of too many features. Keep it simple but make it worth it. Not a very easy balance - hopefully the can pull it off. Good luck to them.

Anyone have ideas as why they have not gone back to EA games? SMG, SMAC, and golf were fairly playable when they came out. They did well with all the expansions. Why has Firaxis not gone back instead of Infogrames that did not help them get perfection? Wait, never mind, they own the rights to it just like they owned the rights to Civ III. Makes sense. Never mind. Just as long as when Sid decides to make something new he goes back to EA.
Old May 13, 2003, 21:10   #44
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
The problem with my copy of Pirates! is that it's buggy. If my party accumulates more than 320K gold, it freaks out.
327,670 gold, perhaps? The last digit isn't used in the game so 32767 = signed 16 bit arithmetic clocking over and causing a crash.

Personally I preferred the 8 bit versions to the Amiga version. On the 8 bit graphics were a lot easier to use to figure out where the treasure maps lead to.

Couldn't play either nowadays. Been a King's Advisor too many times in the past, and my joystick waggling skills are not what they were.
Old May 14, 2003, 07:07   #45
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Pirates on my Amiga gobbled up many hours. I eagerly (but also with trepidation) await the sequel - please please don't ruin it.
Old May 14, 2003, 07:34   #46
Grumbold
Emperor

Whatever they do, some will complain it is boring, ruined or unambitious.
Old May 14, 2003, 08:05   #47
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Whatever they do, some will complain it is boring, ruined or unambitious.
Competing with an old classic is always hard.........hopefully they will make a real attempt to match the gameplay, not just make a pretty but empty game.
Old May 14, 2003, 08:28   #48
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Competing with an old classic is always hard
Yeah... I've played many games, which were based on a classic, but most of them failed, because they made one small change... that killed the game

It's sad, but true... nowaday everybody wants pretty graphics, but the time wasted on doing the graphics, could have made the game better... and sometimes the graphics actually kills the game (e.g. Lemmings 3D... such game shouldn't be made 3D)
Old May 14, 2003, 08:30   #49
Gangerolf
Prince

pirates shmirates

he better make colonization 2 real soon
Old May 14, 2003, 08:59   #50
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
How well versed in swordplay theory do you think the average was?

This is definitely a wait and see, although I have to say I’d be more interested in Colonization II, or MoM II, or gee maybe even actually something new… too many twos
1) The "average"? How do you measure that in hand-to-hand combat when there's nowhere to retreat to and you could get your head blown off at any moment?

I would say "extremely" skilled to survive. Check out Admiral Cochrane - 19th C "adventurer" rather than a true pirate, but still chopping people up when most of us nowadays are retired.

My point is, the swordplay was the heart of the old game. That 2D joystick action won't satisfy anybody nowadays, so Firaxis have their work cut out with something as enjoyable that today's audience will appreciate.

2) I'd say a whole package games has the greater potential. To be either a whole new great game or a whole new waste of space. It's a risk most companies won't take nowadays...
Old May 14, 2003, 10:04   #51
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 19:19
This would be the most anticipated game of all time for me. No game has ever captured my heart and soul like Pirates!Gold, not even Civ2. For 2 years, 1994-1995, that was all that I had played. As I mentioned in a pirate gamer forum, all I want is for them to update the graphics and to be less predictability (like knowing where the Fleets will be). That is all. I really, really don't want them to mess with the simple elegance of the game - like the kluggy debacle that was Civ3. Civ3 tried to do too much, be too linear, thus the disparate parts never worked together well, imo. I fear, like others, Pirates!2 may go that same route. Keep Pirates!2 simple because it played nearly perfectly. Why re-invent it?
Old May 14, 2003, 11:23   #52
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

The latest round of bugs and crashes make civ3 PBEM unplayable.

Firaxis can make whatever they want. I'll never pay for another SM product.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old May 14, 2003, 13:16   #53
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Quote:
There is a god! He answered my prayers!
(Pirates! still remains my all time favorate game. I missed it so much, I downloaded an emulator just to play the Amega Version of it)
Exactly, except I played the Sega version.

Colonization 2 might have been nice, but not SMAC. Frankly, you really can't improve SMAC. I'd like to see you try!
Old May 14, 2003, 13:48   #54
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Ok, as someone who loves Civ, and loves Pirates, do you all think I would enjoy Colonization? I've never played it... hell, I never even HEARD of it before I started hanging out on 'poly.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:15   #55
DrSpike
Deity

It's was a great game for it's time, but too many exploitable loopholes. But if Colonization2 came out I'd be very interested.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:22   #56
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:19
I must admit I've never played those Pirates. Civ, yes. Colonization I also knew of and saw before Poly. Of Pirates I only learned some two years ago.

What's so great about it, I wonder, gotta try...
Old May 14, 2003, 14:30   #57
Kropotkin
Emperor

So, the news should be out soon. It was today, right?
Old May 14, 2003, 15:16   #58
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Pirates! Gold...

Ah those where the days...
Old May 14, 2003, 18:01   #59
Mahdimael
Prince

The announcement is this evening.

Colonization was a great game...I still wish I could play the DOS version and hear that great midi music.
Old May 14, 2003, 18:10   #60
Cruddy
Warlord

Pirares2.com has just been registered - supposedly by Atari but that might be untrue.