Old May 15, 2003, 19:25   #91
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A new "Pirates!" game is great news to me, but does it mean the X-COM plans are definately gone? Would be a pitty....
Old May 15, 2003, 20:29   #92
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 21:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Avast, ye scurvy dogs! Yarrr!

I never played Pirates, but I once saw it at the house of a friend of mine when I was... hell, I dunno, 9 or 10, maybe. Saw it for all of five minutes. It looked badass.
Old May 15, 2003, 20:35   #93
tniem
King

Local Time: 20:19
Do we know that Sid is going to be the lead design or is it going to be Jeff? And is Firaxis still trying to produce two games a year?
Old May 15, 2003, 20:42   #94
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:19
The Gamespy article mentions both Meier and Briggs, so my gut feeling is that Jeff is at the helm.
Old May 15, 2003, 20:51   #95
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Another game I had on my old C64. But I was so young I don't think I really played that one right. I'd love to find a copy of it so I could play it now.
I may provide you a solution if you wontact me with PM. Please notice google provides this solution as easily as myself
Old May 15, 2003, 22:30   #96
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 09:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
Read my lips. I haven't played MOO3
Me neither. I was one of the harshest critics of the original, unrealistic design.

Old May 16, 2003, 00:58   #97
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 01:19
I could see 3d as a good thing, actually. It would be awesome to have a nice smooth zoom, so you could zoom way out, then zoom in when you approach the coast or something. Same with the sea combat portion. But something like 3d sword combat wouldn't necessarily be good. Simple, but functional should be the design key.

As for the RPG elements, it would be cool to have something like BNT (or Tradewars) with reputation and experience- experience and reputation without "levels" per se. An expanded number of "perks" would be cool too- health, swordfighting, etc.
Old May 16, 2003, 02:33   #98
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

The RPG element could be good, as in the original you could prey on your enemy ships as a privateer or prey on anyone at all as a true pirate and the effects would be generally the same.
Old May 16, 2003, 09:45   #99
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
Do we know that Sid is going to be the lead design or is it going to be Jeff?
[Cynical mode]

Sid Meier doesn't do anything anymore, except lending his name to the game. Sid Meier's Gettysburg!, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Sid Meier's Sim Golf, Sid Meier's Civilization III, Sid Meier's Bla Bla...

[/Cynical mode]

Carolus
Old May 16, 2003, 15:13   #100
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

I may provide you a solution if you wontact me with PM. Please notice google provides this solution as easily as myself
Ah-hah! I may just look into that. If I have trouble, you may get that PM. Thanks, Spiff.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 16, 2003, 15:39   #101
DaShi
Emperor

Sid Meier's CBeast!
Old May 16, 2003, 16:18   #102
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:19
Quote:

[Cynical mode]

Sid Meier doesn't do anything anymore, except lending his name to the game. Sid Meier's Gettysburg!, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Sid Meier's Sim Golf, Sid Meier's Civilization III, Sid Meier's Bla Bla...

[/Cynical mode]

Carolus
[Pretending not to have noticed "cynical mode" mode]

Actually, SimGolf was made by Sid himself. He programmed the thing.

[/Pretending not to have noticed "cynical mode" mode]

Old May 16, 2003, 18:14   #103
Mahdimael
Prince

Just on the GameSpy site:

Now it's time for Sid Meier and Firaxis Games to bring this exquisitely rich, action-adventure game into the 21st century. An entirely new game engine will deliver updated gameplay, stunning new features, spectacular 3D graphics and enhanced surround sound, so players can fully experience the intrigue, adventure and danger of life as a pirate on the Spanish Main.

In Pirates! you take the leading role of a Pirate Captain in the 17th century Caribbean amassing fortune and fame in an attempt to seize your rightful place as one of the most revered (and feared!) pirates in history. Test your skills as a sea captain exploring the high seas and exotic ports in a richly detailed 3D world. Overtake the enemy and seize valuable booty. Exchange plank-shattering broadsides in fierce naval battles, and engage in duels with worthy opposing captains.

As your reputation and skills grow, so will the size and quality of your crew, and your ability to take on larger enemy ships, raid and plunder heavily fortified ports, and locate ancient treasure. There's a whole cast of interesting and dangerous characters to meet, mysteries to solve, exotic island destinations to discover, and powerful alliances to forge!

The new Pirates! carries on with the great gameplay and design simplicity tradition of the award-winning original while adding more challenging and exciting battle options, and deeper and more varied role-playing experience, including multiple paths to a wealthy, happy retirement. This and many other features and additions make this gaming classic one of the most highly anticipated releases of this century!

---

2 quick things I glean from this:
1. 17th century captain- Starting dates no longer an option
2."deeper and more varied role-playing experience" - Sounds like it could be good or bad.
Old May 16, 2003, 20:31   #104
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Sounds interesting... I might take a look at this... When it's released...
Old May 17, 2003, 00:28   #105
Narz
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 17:19
If he makes a Civ IV, I hope it has all the best of Civ I & II, I just couldn't get into Civ III...
Old May 17, 2003, 01:06   #106
Skanky Burns

DaShi!
Old May 17, 2003, 01:59   #107
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I never played Pirates, and frankly, the idea was never appealing. I'd rather see a new Colonization game first.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:02   #108
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Quote:
1. 17th century captain- Starting dates no longer an option
The 17th century was a long time, in fact, it was 100 years. The statement in the press releace you have supplied does not tell us anything other than the game is based in the 17th Century. Because of this, it would be premature to make such assumptions. You could have starting times based every 20 years, like in the original (1600, 1620, 1640 (my favorate time period to play in), 1660, 1680), all of which are in the 17th Century.
(That is unless you want to be technical and say that 1600 is a part of the 16th century since there was no year zero, but for simplicity, I will not take that into consideration)

Ok, thats my ranting over for the moment.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:18   #109
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 17:19
Quote:
Do Call to Power I and II, Test of Time, Civ 3 ring a bell? And from what I have gathered from reading the fora, can you spell MOO3?
Those weren't all bad, the jewel boxes can be used for bootleg CDs!

Pirates was great, but I am afraid of all remakes.
Old May 17, 2003, 04:27   #110
Kropotkin
Emperor

About the more role-playing part: Surely it could turn out to be interesting if it's done in the right way. Before, it was this constant hunt for long lost relatives that was the role-playing part as you hunted down evil spaniards with maps. This was a sub-plot to the game that didn't disturb the balance of the game itself. If they could come up with a lot of smaller plots that are weaved into the main story by chance it could spice things up a bit.
Old May 17, 2003, 13:24   #111
Mahdimael
Prince

True enough....as I remember, though, there were starting dates in the late 16th century. What I meant was that the starting dates wouldn't extend into that era. I just phrased it in a terrible way

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Zalzabad

The 17th century was a long time, in fact, it was 100 years. The statement in the press releace you have supplied does not tell us anything other than the game is based in the 17th Century. Because of this, it would be premature to make such assumptions. You could have starting times based every 20 years, like in the original (1600, 1620, 1640 (my favorate time period to play in), 1660, 1680), all of which are in the 17th Century.
(That is unless you want to be technical and say that 1600 is a part of the 16th century since there was no year zero, but for simplicity, I will not take that into consideration)

Ok, thats my ranting over for the moment.
Old May 17, 2003, 17:49   #112
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Logo revealed
Found this on Firaxis' frontpage.

But it hasn't been posted here yet.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pirateslogo.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	45343  
Old May 17, 2003, 21:37   #113
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

I just read through the beginning of this thread. Personally I would rather see a new Colonization (as you can see in my signature), but I'm sure I'll probably get this. However it sounds an awful lot like Bethesda Softworks new game, Pirates of the Caribbean, which comes out in July. You can read about that one here. I'm a huge Morrowind fan, so I have a lot of faith in BethSoft. I doubt their game will be a lightweight, so it will present serious competition for Firaxis.

I'm currently hooked on the Rise of Nations trial version, which has presented me with quite a dilemna. It's hardly fair that RoN and the Bloodmoon expansion for Morrowind are being released on the same day! I can only play one game 18 hours a day, not two!
Old May 18, 2003, 10:36   #114
tniem
King

albiedamned,

Looks like the game that you are refering to is drawn right from the ideas of the original Pirates. Not the first time that one of Sid's designs has been used by someone other than his staff. I wonder how this competition will be. Since this first game is tied in with the Disney movie it has a chance to have good promotional tie in and challenge the Sid name. It will be an interesting fight. But it will all come down to how good the game is.
Old May 18, 2003, 13:28   #115
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

There is already a Pirates2:
http://www.geocities.com/Marcel_Strbak/pirates2.htm
Actually an Remake with some spiffy new features..
Check it out its really very nice. And im afraid its better than the upcoming one..
Old May 18, 2003, 21:03   #116
Mahdimael
Prince

How could it be better than something that doesn't exist yet?
Old May 18, 2003, 21:07   #117
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 18, 2003, 21:34   #118
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 02:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Mahdimael
How could it be better than something that doesn't exist yet?
Either Main Brain is clairvoyant or is taking a 50% chance of looking cool on a future forum.

I'm holding out that neither case is true.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 18, 2003, 23:51   #119
MrProxy
Settler

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but theres also Uncharted Waters 1 and 2 from KOEI that are kind of similar to Pirates but with more RPG elements. I played them for a while, and the second one was pretty good, but never really got into it.

Pirates! on the other hand is brilliant and Ive spent thousands of hours playing it going back to its release circa 1987 for the fine Tandy 1000 system. Its not quite as good as the Civilization franchise (except for Civ III which of course is horrendous and an insult to my years of financially supporting Sid Meier and his decadent lifestyle) but Id say its the second best game series ever. I didnt really like Pirates! Gold though. Too buggy. For that matter, the original crashed when you started to do well in the game. If they just release a faithful remake of the game without the usual critical errors Ill be happy.

As for these Colonization sequel proposals, I dont get it. That game was terrible...just a crippled version of Civilization with the added "fun" of ridiculous micromanaging of the economy. My understanding is that Sid Meier tried to distance himself from this abomination and had nothing to do with it other than his name being slapped on the box to sell product. If true, a wise move
Old May 19, 2003, 01:20   #120
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Pirates! was great in its day, but the gameplay was pretty repetitive. Blend it with a dash of "The Guild" so that you can play a pirate, merchant, weaponsmith and so on while establishing a dynasty and I would be really excited.
I have to agree with this, Pirates! would get old fast. Pirates!2 would have to really expand the amount of gameplay and non-repetetive stuff.