Old May 31, 2003, 02:16   #151
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 21:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yeh, the original can be found on abandonware running on the CCS64 emulator. Works great, and no bugs. I heartily recommend it if you want to get a taste before this new release.

Of all of SM's games, I've played Pirates! the most. Fond memories--very nostalgic. I really liked how much attention was paid to the history and geography. Definitely way ahead of its time in this regard.

Reserving judgment and my wallet, but maybe I'll be happily surprised. Nothing lost.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old May 31, 2003, 02:39   #152
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Local Time: 01:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
That's the problem, I wasn't playing the original. I didn't even get to pick what sword I was using.
I always used the Raiper. It may not have been the best sword, but it was quick. all I had to do was move the mouse in an upwards motion, and I would always win.

Quote:
to the land battles to trek through the jungles to get there, to take over a town from land.
I hated the land battles, esp since you could not order your men to fire when you wanted them to (maybe you could, but I could not find the button), so I took 500+ men to the gates of Cartegena, and took it without the annoyng land battel (and you get more gold that way too)

A good addition to the game would be land battles out of cities (like ambushing the silver train on the way from Panama to Porto Bello), and Improve land battles alot.
Old May 31, 2003, 02:47   #153
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:19
You couldn't order the men to fire. They only fired when an enemy was in range AND they were your men were not moving. An interesting way to do it.

If you got most of your men hidden in a jungle and used your smallest group away as bait, the enemy would charge and be cut down without much struggle. Fun times for all!
Old May 31, 2003, 07:05   #154
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 02:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

If you got most of your men hidden in a jungle and used your smallest group away as bait, the enemy would charge and be cut down without much struggle. Fun times for all!
Except the enemies you ruthlessly slaughtered.
Old June 2, 2003, 18:23   #155
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 17:19
Does anyone have any in game screenshots?
Old June 3, 2003, 04:30   #156
Raion
Prince

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,214/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/view_r.../platformId,4/

http://www.infogrames.net/games/pirates_action_pc/

Pirates Gold (download - 9mB)
http://aw.localhost.ee/aw/view/190.html

Screenshots:
http://frigate.free.fr/screenshots.html

Oh, ya, the Apple version

He, he, he, he!

I got to pick swords. Always picked the cutlass!
Rapier just seem to be longer, but the cutlass would just shear that sword right off, well, with a little imagination, it also seemed to be the sword to pick - a real bucanneer sword, that short cutlass!
Old June 3, 2003, 05:13   #157
Raion
Prince

http://www.civfanatics.com/sidlegacy/

Interesting!

Longsword, maybe it was!

YARRRR!
Hardys!

Bottle of Rum, make the head numb!
Yarrrrrr~~~~!
Old June 5, 2003, 17:25   #158
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Unfortunately, my predictions for the game run something like this:

* The company will set up a discussion forum for the new game, and actively shop for ideas to include in it.

* Rabid fans of the original will flock to the forum in great number to suggest ways of improving the game.

* The vast majority of fan-based sugesstions will be ignored entirely.

* The game will be released in time for Q4 sales, regardless of its playablity or condition, which will spark rounds of protests.

* Fans will be told that if the game sells enough copies, the folks that made it might be arsed to make a patch....maybe.

* Several bugs will be overlooked entirely in the patching process, touted as "game features" instead.

* Independent efforts to translate the game, in light of zero communication from the company regarding when, or even IF such translations will ever exist will be met with the threat of lawsuits.

* Prima will do the strategy guide, and do it poorly.

* The game will not ship with MP, but if you're interested, you'll be able to buy that functionality in the 2nd or 3rd $40.00 expansion pack.

I hope this isn't how it plays out....I truly do, cos the original was fantastic.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 5, 2003, 18:13   #159
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Yeah, like all that would happen to one game...

My only hope is that they don't change too much from the original. It was great due to its simplicity and ease of understanding the game.
Old June 5, 2003, 18:59   #160
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:19
Wasn't it said that there will be no MP anyway, Vel?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 5, 2003, 21:50   #161
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 02:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Zalzabad

I always used the Raiper. It may not have been the best sword, but it was quick. all I had to do was move the mouse in an upwards motion, and I would always win.
I always hand picked the sword for the battle. If I heavily outnumbered the opposition, cutlass would be fine (quicker fight). If the opponent was an enemy captain, then a longsword might be an idea if the odds were balanced. If the opponent was "an evil Spaniard" or I was heavily outnumbered then rapier would give me a speed boost to help win the fight.

Quote:
I hated the land battles, esp since you could not order your men to fire when you wanted them to (maybe you could, but I could not find the button), so I took 500+ men to the gates of Cartegena, and took it without the annoyng land battel (and you get more gold that way too)
A valid tactic. Sometimes I would be capturing a town for strategic advantage (the gold wasn't an issue) but if you were heavily outnumbered (or the terrain wasn't right) a quick rush was the best way to go about it.

Quote:
A good addition to the game would be land battles out of cities (like ambushing the silver train on the way from Panama to Porto Bello), and Improve land battles alot.
There's lots of things they could improve, but let's just hope they don't lose the addiction factor.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 10, 2003, 05:41   #162
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Just comparing Pirates! and Pirates! Gold, I found that the ability to split your fleet in half is lacking in the poor sequal. I hope this too is in the original. A small quiz to all those who think they know all about Pirates!

When does the treasure fleet arrive at Santa Maria in 1640?
Old June 10, 2003, 08:13   #163
Skanky Burns

Does it count for those who still have the original manual?
Old June 10, 2003, 09:08   #164
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

I still have it, , thats how I remembered it. five years ago I could memorize them all. Today, I have t go back to the sheet. I suppose, but it would be better if it was off the top of your head

(But of couse, I wont know that!)
Old June 10, 2003, 09:08   #165
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

I still have it, , thats how I remembered it. five years ago I could memorize them all. Today, I have t go back to the sheet. I suppose, but it would be better if it was off the top of your head

(But of couse, I wont know that!)
Old June 15, 2003, 23:14   #166
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 19:19
I loved Pirates and I loved Colonization. But Pirates still allowed you to "woo" the various Island Governors' daughters. I always tried to keep two or three of the prettiest ones with the "huge tracts of land" in the wings for when I had the downtime from disbanding my crews.
Old June 21, 2003, 16:28   #167
Raion
Prince

Digging out the old Apple manual complete with the disk still there:

In 1640, The Treasure Fleet arrives in Santa marta in late November.

October 1987
2nd Edition

I used it later also for the IBM manual, I think.
Old June 21, 2003, 16:30   #168
Raion
Prince

Oh, there is no Santa Maria in my book manual.