Old May 13, 2003, 19:31   #31
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Old May 13, 2003, 19:54   #32
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Arghhh! They're back! I'm still getting those stupid pop up ads, I run both Spybot & Ad-ware, they both say I have several parasites, they both say the computer is now clean, I reboot, and the Parasites are back again!!!
Pop-up ads . The spam of the WWW . Banners are at least easily ignored.

As for cookies & spyware that keep reappearing, try this site if you're using IE; it will populate your "Restricted Sites" list with a very lengthy list of the known junkpushers of the internet, preventing them from setting cookies, downloading ActiveX controls, etc, to your machine (as long as you keep your "Restricted Sites" security setting to High or better). Since I started using it, I've noticed almost no unknown tracking cookies being set on my machine
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old May 13, 2003, 19:58   #33
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:19
I've downloaded and installed the list so hopefully the parasites are gone for good.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 13, 2003, 19:58   #34
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 20:19
Here's another good site.

www.pcpitstop.com

Test your machine and get recommendations and walk-throughs on adjusting cache, security, etc.
Old May 14, 2003, 01:29   #35
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 01:19
Some of the worst offenders are dialer.exe, Cydoor, Gator Corp, and Xupiter. All of the above either cause pop-ups on your desktop, crap to clutter your email or shitty random pop ups while surfing the net or on startup. Such as Dialer, which I had the pleasure of fighting it (thanks to asher who told me how to get rid of it). Every 30 seconds Dialer.exe opened a new window and attempted to Dial a long distance number. I had to cancel it everyime...rather annoying. Deleting it did no good, it just re-constructed itself x 2. Spybot at the time didnt pick it up either.

Anyway another kind is moderate. Ipinsight,Ezula, etc..these guys track your movements and tailor to your advertiseing interests.

Cookies are fairly Harmless. Delete them anyway
Old May 14, 2003, 02:16   #36
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Gator Corp...you know, I always thought that evil corporations were appropriately named only in cartoons and bad movies...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old May 17, 2003, 11:38   #37
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
hi ,

something to remember

in order to remove programs who are removed out of your software list but are still there ( and can reopen themselfs ) type "regedit" start , execute and go to HKEY_LOACL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \Windows\CurentVersion\ Uninstall with that you can remove doubtfull entries manually

in order to remove programs you dont want who come back try this ; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\cure ntversion\run

btw there is a huge difference between ad aware and spybot , spybot encrypts them , ..... so if a virus is stuck most scanners overlook this , ......

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2003, 12:40   #38
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

how do i remove spy bots w. adaware?
Old May 17, 2003, 14:57   #39
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
how do i remove spy bots w. adaware?
hi ,

just install the program , it does its job , it expalians it self , ....

get the po version , works better and newer updates

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2003, 17:02   #40
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Two scans and two reboots latter the devil has yet to show his face again. I'm thinking "download plus" was the culprate.
download accelratror plus is a program that speeds up downloads / multithreads.

it does pop an add up every few days, though
Old May 18, 2003, 13:59   #41
optimus2861
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
btw there is a huge difference between ad aware and spybot , spybot encrypts them , ..... so if a virus is stuck most scanners overlook this , ......

Care to restate that? I don't have a clue what you're trying to say there.
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old May 19, 2003, 07:50   #42
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by optimus2861

Care to restate that? I don't have a clue what you're trying to say there.
hi ,

spybot encrypts the files it finds , .... now if there is avirus or someone taking advantage of this ( the encrypted files ) most virus scanners overlook this , .....

ad-aware does no such thing

have a nice day
Old May 19, 2003, 15:41   #43
optimus2861
Chieftain

^ I've never read in any of the Spybot documentation that it does any encryption whatsoever. Not on their website, not in user reviews, not in their help files, nothing. What's your source?
Old May 20, 2003, 09:42   #44
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by optimus2861
^ I've never read in any of the Spybot documentation that it does any encryption whatsoever. Not on their website, not in user reviews, not in their help files, nothing. What's your source?
hi ,

alladin security software

if they can see it any serious security product should do so , ....

have a nice day
Old May 20, 2003, 15:34   #45
optimus2861
Chieftain

panag, I still don't follow what you're trying to say. I just read another half-dozen articles about Spybot, and still no mention anywhere of encryption. I've used this program for quite some time myself, removed some tracking cookies with it, and what Spybot does, is place the affected files in .zip files within its "Recovery" folder in case you want to recover them later (say, if you've broken an application that's relying on ad-ware). Zipping isn't encrypting, though, and while it's true you could have virus-infected files within those zips, any decent virus scanner should scan within archives and catch them.

What is Spybot encrypting, according to Aladdin?
Old May 20, 2003, 16:14   #46
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
in order to remove programs who are removed out of your software list but are still there ( and can reopen themselfs ) type "regedit" start , execute and go to HKEY_LOACL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \Windows\CurentVersion\ Uninstall with that you can remove doubtfull entries manually
If I understand you correctly, you have it the wrong way around. Editing that key in the registry will ONLY remove the entry in the software list, without removing the actual program.

So you should definitely NOT do that, except with already uninstalled programs that wrongly still appear in the list.
Old May 20, 2003, 18:49   #47
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator

If I understand you correctly, you have it the wrong way around. Editing that key in the registry will ONLY remove the entry in the software list, without removing the actual program.

So you should definitely NOT do that, except with already uninstalled programs that wrongly still appear in the list.
hi ,

there are two keys , ......

have a nice day