Old May 15, 2003, 07:26   #31
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Can someone help me. I loaded up the save file, took a screenshot, and left, as I wanted input before I play it. I did not save it again, I just left. I didn't move a single thing.

Now when I go to log in, it states that I could be tampering and notice has been sent to other players.

Did I do something wrong? Am I not allowed to go in, even if I change nothing, so as to get a screenshot? I am new to PBEM, but I thought you could go in and out, but could only save it once, when it is handed over to the next team. Am I mistake?

Sorry about this

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 15, 2003, 08:45   #32
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 03:22
You can save a PBEM game as many times as you want. In fact, you HAVE TO say save it before closing to avoid the cheating and reloading message. If it was as you describe it, that you could go in and out as many times as you want, as long as you don't save, then you could cheat without being noticed.

So summarized, just save a game the normal way after you've opened it for making screenshots etcetera. When you're playing it for real, and are about to send it to the next player, then you need to click on the "Turn Complete" button in the lower right colour. Then a pop-up window will appear "Hotseat/Email Multiplayer" with the message:

Code:
NEXT PLAYER TURN

Captain Svensgaard of the Pirates

Mission Year 2102

Enter Password
...and the choice options "Save and Exit" and "Ok"

As you don't know the Pirates' password, you have to click on "Save and Exit", save the game , zip it and attach it here on Poly. That's it I think.
Old May 15, 2003, 09:17   #33
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Thanks. I have PMed Googlie to explain what I have done. Hopefully he will tell the other factions. Do I continue to play from the same save game, or do I unzip it again and play from that? As you can see from the screenshot, I have done nothing illegal, thus I do not think there will be a problem.

Thank you for the help

Old May 15, 2003, 09:25   #34
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Do I continue to play from the same save game, or do I unzip it again and play from that?
Actually even when you would delete the file you have already played, and redownload the current turn to play, you'll still get the reload message. Renaming doesn't work either. I don't know how it works, but the anti-cheat system works pretty well. Until now I've found only method to circumvent it, but I won't tell you how, so you won't be tempted to use it.

Edit: In other words, just continue from the same file.
Old May 15, 2003, 09:41   #35
Drogue
staff

Ok. I hope other accept my explanation. I did not want to cheat, and have not, but thought I shouldn't save it. I take it it's not Ironman then? I jus save it normally if I want to go back to it then? That suits me fine

Old May 15, 2003, 09:47   #36
Maniac

Quote:
I take it it's not Ironman then?
It is, in the sense that the game automatically closes down after you have saved. (IIRC at least: I actually have hardly played SMAC the last year. Due to being familar with the civ series for over seven years, I remember most tactics, but there might be holes in my memory.)
Old May 15, 2003, 10:01   #37
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Maniac has it right. (I've replied to your PM, Drogue)

If you opened the save, took the screenshot, then selected the "quit" from the lefthand menu's the same as "turn complete" from the game mechanics point of view (except that you get the "do wou want to wimp out ..." message, and are propmted for a save filename.

So how did you exit the game after you took the screenshot?

One way to avoid the message is to have someone who hasn't yet opened the turn to play the official turn (Old threads tell of PBEMers with 2 computers who have done this - use one for all sorts of explorations and experimentations, then the other for the official turnplay)

I'm sure you'll be cut some slack as it's the first turn (but I'd doubt it if it were, say, 2225 and in the heat of a pitched battle)

G.
Old May 15, 2003, 10:14   #38
Drogue
staff

Thanks. I'm sorry about that. Yes, I just chose quit and then exit without saving.

I need to reinstall anyway, because of formatting, thus I presume I can just play then.

Can you post on forums or PM the other group leaders to explain (I will if you want, but might be better coming from you, as CMN) what happened, so they don't think we are playing ahead?

Now I know, I'm sure I'll be fine. Really should have asked beforehand.

Old May 15, 2003, 15:57   #39
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Can you post on forums or PM the other group leaders to explain (I will if you want, but might be better coming from you, as CMN) what happened, so they don't think we are playing ahead?
No need to.

I downloaded the turn and opened the Pirates - no reload message, so whatever you did when you quit the first opening seems to have been the equivalent of a regular save

So your reputation is still unbesmirched

Googlie
Old May 15, 2003, 16:01   #40
Drogue
staff

Yes, I reinstalled SMAC and SMAX. Needed to anyway, but decided to do it now rather than the weekend. All looks fine then That is good

Old May 15, 2003, 17:14   #41
Googlie
Emperor

Please see and comment on:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=86125

G.
Old May 15, 2003, 17:28   #42
Drogue
staff

Have done

Old May 15, 2003, 18:05   #43
Drogue
staff

There was talk earlier about getting more members. Now we have private forums, and have started, should I post on the OTF, asking any SMAC/X players to have a look and join the DG? If we can get up to ~10 per faction it would be great

Old May 15, 2003, 18:46   #44
Maniac

If you have the time to write something introducing ourselves, please go ahead! I could PM it to all the old ACDG members (and perhaps the PBEM ACDG civgroup). As most of them are still in my PM contact list, that's relatively easy for me.
Old May 15, 2003, 20:22   #45
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 22:22
Crisler sighting in AC-General!
Old May 16, 2003, 01:50   #46
Googlie
Emperor

For anyone who doesn't have Vel's Strategy Guide, here's the link to his website where an early version resides:

http://renaissanceforums.community.e...&view=standard

G.
Old May 16, 2003, 09:01   #47
Drogue
staff

I have already PMed Cedayon, I will post on the OTF, and have posted on CGN about our faction, now we have the private forum. If I write a bit, can I PM it to you (Maniac) so you can PM anyone else you think might be interested? Thanks

BTW: Cedayon has said this
Quote:
I would like to be involved, but I can't promise that I'll really be available to do much other than make suggestions on the private board and create improved s in TKG's labs. If that's ok, I would like to join, though I'll forego the cybernetic implants if it's all the same to the collective

Old May 16, 2003, 22:37   #48
Drogue
staff

I have posted on the OTF but to little avail. Should I post on the AC - General and AC Multiplaying threads too? There isn't one on the first page, but I am no sure if it was ever posted.

Edit: Have just posted on both. I can't see one about it at all with a post in the last 10 days, and we want more players, so I thought it would be worth it.

Last edited by Drogue; May 16, 2003 at 22:44.
Old May 17, 2003, 13:28   #49
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 20:22
If we have 8 active (ie voting) players, then we're only about 3-4 short of what the whole DG had towards the end of the first one
Old May 17, 2003, 14:44   #50
Drogue
staff

You have a point. However, more would be nice

Old May 17, 2003, 22:48   #51
Cedayon
King

(joke)

Well, I thought the recruitment problem over, and I came to the conclusion that several members of the University of Planet would likely wish to join the collective if they were given proper... motivation.
After going through some of TKG's laboratory data and running some simulations, I decided that the introduction of 's into the University would do the trick, so I constructed a program that would automatically produce them, with the intent of transmitting it to the University network:

Alas, a test run resulted in the breaking stasis and causing a segmentation fault... thankfully the subsequent dump of the fission core cut power to the bio-support unit caused the to expire before it could fully form and wreak havoc.

However, with the program's transfer to the UOP net, I think we should see some new recruits soon

(/joke)
Old May 17, 2003, 23:01   #52
Drogue
staff

I think that's pretty obviously a joke

A great plan, you are learning from TKG well (or maybe it has turned the other way, and he is learning). Have you been studying Finland again? A quaint little place that was, I can't see what's so evil about it, but then I never was that good at guessing why humans thought things.

The one minor problem being that defections are not allowed Thus they could not join us.

Old May 17, 2003, 23:08   #53
Cedayon
King

I wasn't think of defections, per se, I was thinking of "Ahhhhhh!!! It's a , run away!"s ... and given our faction's similarities I calculated most of them would flee here

The point, however, is now moot, as the has entered an argument with Archaic... it might end before the heat death of the universe, but I'm not counting on it
Old May 17, 2003, 23:15   #54
Drogue
staff

Or it might cause the heat death of the universe

Old May 17, 2003, 23:26   #55
Cedayon
King

Indeed, the has transmitted back the current code it's stuck in:

Code:
#include "Archaic.h"
#include "argumentAlgorithm.h"
#include "adHominem.h"
#include "strawman.h"
#include "baseballBat.h"

int main(Issue argument) {
   for(int n=0;n < 10;n++) {
	   counter(Archaic.getArguments(argument)[n]);
	   if (n + 1 > 9) n=0;
   }
}
This could take quite a while

Last edited by Cedayon; May 17, 2003 at 23:49.
Old May 17, 2003, 23:34   #56
Drogue
staff

Quote:
#include "adHominem.h"
#include "strawman.h"
#include "baseballBat.h"

That's too tempting funny

I am sure that if I understood code I would find it even more funny

Old May 17, 2003, 23:46   #57
Cedayon
King

The main problem lies in this:
Code:
if (n + 1 > 9) n=0;
The argument's only over when n reaches 10, but when n reaches 9 (Archaic's last argument), he just goes back to 0 (his first argument) and it starts all over again... eventually the counter arguments might fill up all available memory on the UOP system and it'll just crash, but that could take a while if Zak put as much RAM in that thing as I think he did...
Old May 19, 2003, 09:47   #58
Googlie
Emperor

I wasn't trying to stir things up between you and the Drones (honestly .... ..... ) when I posted this in the general forum 'Droneology 101 thread'

There was an old drone called Domai
who had a bar-code over one eye
which he tried to decipher
by sitting beside her -
Aki Zeta, who said - It's just Pi

Author unknown - Cyborgs' barracks humour
Old May 19, 2003, 10:22   #59
Drogue
staff

I liked it A nice twist to the Ace one

Old May 19, 2003, 11:58   #60
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 22:22
uhm, can anyone download the attachment in the turn report thread (our private one, not the public one)? it says i dont have permission

until we can get markos to sort it out, can you email me the save drug?