Old May 14, 2003, 19:24   #31
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 19:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

Civ3 : Play the Scenarios
Hopefully, something they will, or are, working on.

Atari/Infog was supposed to be making announcements soon, aren't they?
Old May 14, 2003, 19:28   #32
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 02:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II

dude theres like 8 screenshots available

besides Resident evil 1 was like that. Look how crappy 2 turned out to be, even when they increased max enemy potential
Sorry, i meant demo
Old May 14, 2003, 19:28   #33
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:23
FPS = AWESOME... ALL WHO OPPOSE SUCK!
Old May 14, 2003, 23:20   #34
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 21:23
The Adventure Company just announced that Jane Jensen of Gabriel Knight fame will be designing a new game for their company... between that, Full Throtle 2, and Freelance Police, there is hope for adventure games yet.
Old May 14, 2003, 23:25   #35
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I'm waiting till the price for a console gets to be around $49 to grab one...
Albert Speer
Old May 14, 2003, 23:53   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:23
I'm still waiting for consoles to be given away for free before I grab one...
Old May 15, 2003, 00:33   #37
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Deus Ex 2 is something I'm REALLLLY looking forward to. It is looking awesome, and the first game was great as well .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old May 15, 2003, 00:38   #38
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
I'm waiting till the price for a console gets to be around $49 to grab one...
then grab a dreamcast
Old May 15, 2003, 00:54   #39
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 01:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Sony is going to make its own handeld. According to this IGN article, it will be impressive. I intended to buy myself a GBA SP, but I'm now hesitating, for this thing seems to have what it takes to be a perfect handheld :

Quote:
E3 2003: Sony Goes Handheld!
First specs and details on PSP (PlayStation Portable).
May 13, 2003 - Sony came out swinging today with a major announcement regarding its entry into the handheld market: the PSP. With a screen measuring in at a tidy 4.5 inches, the new device surely must have Nokia, Nintendo and other portable/handheld deck-makers quaking in their boots. In fact, the device is apparently so monumental, it has at least one Sony exec calling the unit "the Walkman of the 21st Century." Additionally, Ken Kutaragi, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and father of the Playstation commented that the device will be more powerful than the original PlayStation.

And just what makes this wondertoy so appealing? Well, other than the obvious welcome addition to the handheld market, we'd say it's these drool-worthy (and preliminary) specs:

# UMD or Universal Media Device. This storage media is 60mm, about half the size of the traditional CD and has a capacity of 1.8GB. That's right GB. Expect massively complex, detailed gaming (for your handheld anyway). 2.4 inches.
# ATRAC encoding support (Sony's proprietary sound format used in their minidiscs). This could mean it will be a multi-media device.
# Graphics specs are also impressive: NURB technology for rendering with full 3D polygons.
# The unit's widescreen LCD screen (480x272, that's the coveted 16:9 ratio we all love) will be backlit.
# The unit's sound processing will feature full 3D sound, PCM, and will be "fully reconfigurable."
# MIPS 32-bit processor.
# Also, a secure ROM cartridge for anti-piracy efforts.
# Super-one-chip solution for graphics, sound, etc.
# Memory stick will be used for game saves. Also, for GPS functionality.
# Rechargeable battery.
# CPU: 90 nanometers with a clock speed TBD.
# USB 2.0 connection for talking to your PC, cellphone, even your PS2.
# Embedded RAM.
# Supports additional video codecs (other than MPEG 4.)

We suspect that the PSP will also come equipped with an analog stick and, since the media is disc-based, it may also have a flip-top lid/cover.

IGN is tracking more info on the PSP and hopes to be breaking more news and details about the unit soon.
Get SP.

1. Games are here NOW. Great games like GOLDEN SUN and GOLDEN SUN THE LOST AGE
2. Probably much less bulky than the PSP
3. More developer support
Old May 15, 2003, 00:56   #40
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The SNES also had more developer support than the PSX originally, Tass.
Old May 15, 2003, 00:57   #41
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 01:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
The SNES also had more developer support than the PSX originally, Tass.
So many handhelds have come out (some were even superior to gameboy) but they all failed

If it's small and has lotsa great games........I'll buy it. But I dont want to have a huge, clunky machine with poor games
Old May 15, 2003, 00:58   #42
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Something tells me Sony knows what it's doing with the PSP.

Something tells me Nintendo is going to start throttling back their insane royalty fees for the GBA now to be competitive.
Old May 15, 2003, 00:59   #43
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

i wished that the sony handheld was size of portable cd player with ps1 game compatibility (sega nomad style).... but it seems like its going to be cartridge based (GBA style).

Being able to play re-released ps1 games on sony handheld would be cool, but I didnt like the idea of repurchasing all the SNES games for GBA (alot of them are basically ports)
Old May 15, 2003, 01:00   #44
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

So many handhelds have come out (some were even superior to gameboy) but they all failed
Sega Nomad was awesome... too bad battery life sucked and it never got popular
Old May 15, 2003, 01:00   #45
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Why do you think it's cartridge based?

From what I read it's a 1.8GB disc.
Old May 15, 2003, 01:01   #46
Zero
King

Quote:
Why do you think it's cartridge based?

From what I read it's a 1.8GB disc.
oh, is it a mini-dvd disc?
Old May 15, 2003, 01:03   #47
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"then grab a dreamcast"
Doesn't have the games I'm interested in - only X-Box (and Play Station 2, to a lesser extent) does. There, happy now, Asher???

How did project Ego turn out? Didn't they change its name?
Albert Speer
Old May 15, 2003, 01:06   #48
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Project Ego is called Fable now.

And it's only getting better.

It's got cooperative multiplayer now!
Old May 15, 2003, 01:11   #49
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Hot diggity damn. I remember seeing the graphics for that and going, wow.

As Neo would say...

Whoah.
Albert Speer
Old May 15, 2003, 01:12   #50
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

From IGN:
Quote:
Fable has been a long time coming. Delayed more than once, Microsoft's first-party RPG genre buster is getting closer to its spring 2004 release. The Carter brothers, founders of Big Blue Box, the studio developing Fable, are finally ready to show more of the game's shine. Here's a quick catch-up: Fable is a free-ranging RPG where player choices affect how the entire world population reacts to them. Our hero comes home one day to find his parent's kidnapped, thus setting him on the path of a hero -- or a villain. It's up to you how you live your life from ages 15-44.
Last we saw Fable (a year ago), the framerate was, in a word, troublesome. Now, though there are still some drops, the game maintains a relatively steady 30fps. Grass sways, hair moves, and character design is impressively varied. Though there are little nitpicks -- like no reflection in mirrors -- overall the game is looking good. Especially considering the massive world housed within that single disc.

Controls are much more final than in the previous versions shown. It seems every button on the controller will be used, but the interface is very friendly. The face buttons operate as basic general commands. Icons pop up in the bottom right corner to show you pressing Y will have you interact with an object or pressing A will initiate a conversation with a nearby pedestrian.

The D-Pad serves a more interesting function. Your hero can learn from other people in the world -- how to burp, fighting moves, and expressions. When there's an action you can learn, the D-Pad classes on the bottom left of the screen. Just hold down one of the directions and learn the action. At any time in the game you can repeat learned actions. Some will serve to intimidate people, others will impress, and a few will simply disgust them.

The combat system is, at first glance, very simple. It's just a matter of a couple of times button hits for different combos. However, looking deeper at the combat, it becomes clear that there are a lot of subtleties lying within. The difference between a big sword swing (and it's momentum toll) and a short swing aren't always obvious from an eyes-on view. But sure enough, weapons handle differently and different weapon strokes handle in slightly different ways. And these things get bigger and badder as you upgrade them.

We witnessed a fight between our hero and three bandits. The bandits were smart, surrounding the hero. Blocking was necessary, but nothing was more effective than using our will. Will is the magic of the world. A level 1 push knocked one bandit a good ten feet, while the level 2 slow time turned the game Matrix-style with full-motion blur effects. But the baddest will power we witnessed was the high-level berserker spell. Signaled by an explosive ring of fire, our hero became bigger, his sword lit with flame. The toll for this spell, however, is that it ages you several months. Will is a major strain on your life force, which explains why every great wizard is a long-bearded old gent.

Everything in the world is upgradable. Any item, even a frying pan, can eventually become a weapon of legend, simply by becoming more skilled with their use. There are a variety of progressions in the game -- whether it's physical, will (magic), weapons, items, or social status. And, somehow, all of it works in conjunction with a fully reactive environment.

Hearing about all the talk about a reactive environment is one thing -- how villagers will cheer you on or that children will dig on your style for being a dope hero -- but seeing it in effect brings a striking realization that Fable, indeed, may end up as the greatest RPG of all time.

In the 15 minutes demo, a young boy met our hero at the edge of a town he often frequented. The boy, recognizing the hero runs into town announcing your arrival. In another instance, while fighting to save some kidnapped villagers, we heard hopeful cheers from the imprisoned people. They recognized that we'd come to save them and, fittingly, they were quite supportive.

Though there is some linear progression to Fable -- there is, after all, a beginning and an ending -- much of your time spent in the world is on your own terms. At the Hero's Guild, the one place where all heroes receive new quests, we were given the task of rescuing some villagers from a group of bandits. The reward was $1500. Now, in most games that would be that. The trick here is that:
A) There are other heroes in the world also trying to capture fame and glory who could beat you to the punch.
B) The bandits are executing the prisoners one by one, so if you don't find them in time, everyone will be dead and you'll be blamed for not saving them.
C) You can boast about your upcoming quest to earn more cash -- though it will make that quest much harder.
Boasting is done outside the Hero's Guild. Standing on a pulpit, there are three separate boasts you can perform for each quest. A boast, which is aid to a small throng of onlookers, may be that you will complete this quest with your bare hands or that you will not heal yourself during the quest. Each boast "bets" more of your potential reward money, but obviously adds a great deal of difficulty to the quest. Succeed and you'll earn extra esteem and improve your rep, but fail to fulfill your boast and even though your quest was a success, people will think you're a failure.

You character evolves from your gameplay. Lift rocks, they get stronger. Use will (magic) and they will age faster and grow bald. You can also change your hairstyle and dress to be whatever kind of hero you want to be. This is done in front of a mirror and is quite easy. It's important to have a good look, because children will try to match your appearance should you be fortunate enough to be their favorite hero.

Around town, you'll be able to change your appearance, find yourself a girl, buy anything you want in a shop (useful and useless items), or just get piss drunk. In the demo, our hero bought a rose from a shop and gave it to a pretty young lady standing outside a shop. She was so happy she asked if we were interested in taking on a "special" quest. Yes, it's exactly what you think. Get married, get a pet, live a life -- but in the end you will need to quest or people will begin to mock you, hate you, and say mean things that'll make you cry.

While much of this info was great to see in action, none of it was particularly new. Then Molyneux and the Carter brothers casually laid down the bomb -- Fable will include co-op play.

At least one player (though it may end up allowing four players on at once) will be able to accompany a hero on his quest. Alone, you can gain a sidekick or alter ego. This AI person aids in your quest. But have your buddy plug in a controller and he can control your sidekick. But more impressive, is that your buddy can take a save of his character from his game of Fable and drop it into your game! He has the same powers, abilities, nobility, and alignment.

Playing in tandem, one person must always be "the hero" while the other is the sidekick. The hero is the only one who can gain experience points and is the one the world reacts to. But you can flip-flop who is hero and sidekick with the black button. So, if you are clever, you can have a very evil character and a very heroic character work together. In battle, in towns, when receiving quests, you can switch who is the leader and therefore change how the world reacts to you. It's a bit of a strange idea, but the right team of powers and force could be unstoppable.

After play is done, your buddy can pull out and upload his character back into his game -- with any enhancements he earned while playing with you! Wow.

Outlook
Can't you read? It's going to be pretty damn good.
Old May 15, 2003, 01:23   #51
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

If I was still on my fast college connection, I'd be downloading videos all over the place, but I've had to be content with just reading descriptions of things. And it sounds like Half-Life 2 is just the most awesome thing, ever, and will likely be game of the year at E3. Simply reading descriptions makes me want to preorder the thing.
Old May 15, 2003, 04:32   #52
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Game of the year is going to be a TIGHT battle between Halo 2 and Half Life 2, imo.
In a perfect world I would be able to afford all these games & the equipment to play them... Sigh.
Albert Speer
Old May 15, 2003, 22:00   #53
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
"then grab a dreamcast"
Doesn't have the games I'm interested in - only X-Box (and Play Station 2, to a lesser extent) does. There, happy now, Asher???
By then, your answer will change to "(PS2 and Xbox) Doesn't have the games I'm interested in - only X-Box II (and Play Station 3, to a lesser extent) does. There, happy now, Asher???"

Old May 15, 2003, 22:02   #54
Zero
King

Ahem* As you all know, I spent $400 on japanese import of SC2.

http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/screens/showfloor/12.jpg

****. Now I have to get the X-box?????

And a big "told you so" to those who told me Xbox live wasnt possible!
Old May 15, 2003, 22:09   #55
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I'm totally not interested in playstation 3, it sounds like crap. And I'll only say that for X-Box 2 if it has Halo, Halo 2 and Fable coming out for it...
Albert Speer
Old May 15, 2003, 22:13   #56
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
Ahem* As you all know, I spent $400 on japanese import of SC2.

http://www.gamespy.com/e32003/screens/showfloor/12.jpg

****. Now I have to get the X-box?????

And a big "told you so" to those who told me Xbox live wasnt possible!
Holy ****, that's awesome!!!

SC2 on Xbox Live??

To think I was pumped about DOA Online

Kickass!

XBOX! XBOX! XBOX!
Old May 15, 2003, 22:17   #57
Zero
King

Quote:

Holy ****, that's awesome!!!

SC2 on Xbox Live??

To think I was pumped about DOA Online

Kickass!

XBOX! XBOX! XBOX!
And to think just a few months ago, Drake and you were trying to put down my optimism.

. Friend is selling it w/ 3 controller, DVD kit and halo for $200. I cant resist it(w/ or without Xbox live version of SC2)
Old May 15, 2003, 22:28   #58
Zero
King

Its funny... I already have the game, but I cant wait for august 27th.

Im gonna go play some SC2 now. Anyone care to join?
Old May 16, 2003, 04:12   #59
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I'm still waiting for the OTHER SC2 (Starcraft 2)
Albert Speer
Old May 16, 2003, 05:29   #60
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 04:23
Great. And all that Gentoo announced was America's Army client for Linux... and my graphics card isn't even beefy enough for running it.... well, it's not like I'd have been interested anyway
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand