Old May 13, 2003, 20:26   #1
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 18:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
First Moves
Alright Comrades, the first save is up, that means we have to get down to business right away and show the other factions our efficiency. All People's Ministers as well as PAC members please download the save file from the main ACDG forum (the password is bunker) and given me input in regards to the actions that I should carry out. If you attach pictures with your recommendations, that will be looked upon very favorably.

If I have the recommendations of most Hive members by tonight I will play the turn out then.

-Chairman Voltaire

This Post was edited and approved by Comrade War of Art

Last edited by Jamski; May 14, 2003 at 09:37.
Old May 14, 2003, 00:40   #2
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Update

I’ve played out the turn, seeing as there was not much to do to begin with.

Old May 14, 2003, 03:18   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, we should be using the monolith instead of the sea-nuts in my opinion. 2-2-2 is better than 3-0-0

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old May 14, 2003, 05:29   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I can't say I'm too impressed with the dry side of the hill either - thanks Googlie

We should pop both those pods in the next turn. Perhaps use a colony pod in case its a cloneing pod? Actually its probably too much of a risk in case its a worm.

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 09:49   #5
Voltaire
King

All I can say it pray to Miriam’s God that we’re on a large continent, that will possible balance out any disadvantages we may have started out with given that it will give up plenty of room to expand (and we all know the Hive strength lies in numbers), as well as a lot of pods on land (though we really should strive to get some sea units early on so we can go and exploit the pods on the oceans, we can’t let the Pirates have them all after all).
Old May 14, 2003, 10:33   #6
Jamski
Deity

Voltaire, do you agree about the worker placement? Or would you rather have to extra 1 food? Trading 2 energy and 2 minerals for 1 food is a bit crazy though, or are you trying to grow the Hive as soon as possible? If so, can someone do the maths to see when to change it to the monolith in order to get the first colony pod as quickly as possible, i.e. the pod is finished at the same time as the population increases. Or are we building another scout first? Or what?

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 10:41   #7
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

Local Time: 02:24
Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
We should pop both those pods in the next turn. Perhaps use a colony pod in case its a cloneing pod? Actually its probably too much of a risk in case its a worm.
I think I remembered Googlie saying cloning pods were disabled, because he test-played as the pirates and gained too much additional ships in too short time.

Or am I wrong?

But I agree with you on the last sentence. It is too risky. Losing a colony pod is not acceptable, especially if we can´t be sure it is even possible to get a clone out of the pod.
Old May 14, 2003, 11:04   #8
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

No - you can't disable the "cloning pod" - What I did was to cut back the Pirates from 2 foils to just one (in my playtest I started them with 2 and they were 8 after around fifteen turns - talk about control of the oceans ...)

You can disable the "pods produce vehicles", but that would militate against the land factions too, as poding of unity rovers and helos would then be banned

G.
Old May 14, 2003, 11:06   #9
Jamski
Deity

I'd have been OK with that. Getting a 'copter in a pod was always waaaaaaaay too nice

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 11:19   #10
Micha
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG3 MorganACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG PeaceACDG Planet University of TechnologyCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Team Banana
King

oh, ok.
Still, the reward is not bigger than the potential loss.
Old May 14, 2003, 11:45   #11
Jamski
Deity

I'm not sure what the risks are, exactly, but getting a free colony pod in the second turn = we win the game. Loseing one of our starting colony pods = we lose the game. Its quite a gamble, unless....

...we stack the pod with a scout patrol, that is we pop the pod with the colony pod, and then move a scout patrol on top, if the pod contained a worm.

Worth a try?

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 14:09   #12
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Voltaire, do you agree about the worker placement? Or would you rather have to extra 1 food? Trading 2 energy and 2 minerals for 1 food is a bit crazy though, or are you trying to grow the Hive as soon as possible? If so, can someone do the maths to see when to change it to the monolith in order to get the first colony pod as quickly as possible, i.e. the pod is finished at the same time as the population increases. Or are we building another scout first? Or what?

-Jam
Sorry, I should have informed you, I changed the worker placement (I didn’t notice the monolith there), and we’re building another scout first since it is done next turn. We’ll use that one for base defense and the rest to explore.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:11   #13
Jamski
Deity

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear. (I suppose I should look at the save )

If the scout is done next turn, what should we build next? Another scout? A Colony Pod?

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 14:12   #14
Voltaire
King

Quote:
I'm not sure what the risks are, exactly, but getting a free colony pod in the second turn = we win the game. Loseing one of our starting colony pods = we lose the game. Its quite a gamble, unless....

...we stack the pod with a scout patrol, that is we pop the pod with the colony pod, and then move a scout patrol on top, if the pod contained a worm.

Worth a try?

-Jam
We could try; it’s certainly worth the rewards. Though before we do anything as risky as that I’d like to get the opinion of the PAC.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:15   #15
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Cool, that's what I wanted to hear. (I suppose I should look at the save )

If the scout is done next turn, what should we build next? Another scout? A Colony Pod?

-Jam
I don’t see the need for another scout right away, start work on a colony pod assuming we’ll get a pop. increase in time for the colony pod to be produced. This stacked with a possible free colony pod should put us above all the other human factions, we would pretty much be guaranteed a win if we play this right.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:15   #16
Jamski
Deity

Make a POLL !!! Everyone likes a democratic desicion

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 14:17   #17
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 19:24
Quote:

Worth a try?

-Jam
Be nice to get a monolith upgrade for the scout before trying it, but then isn't there a chance we'll lose the monolith as well (1 in 20?)?
Old May 14, 2003, 14:21   #18
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 19:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire

I don’t see the need for another scout right away, start work on a colony pod assuming we’ll get a pop. increase in time for the colony pod to be produced. This stacked with a possible free colony pod should put us above all the other human factions, we would pretty much be guaranteed a win if we play this right.
Yes, starting another colony pod now is an excellent idea.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:23   #19
Jamski
Deity

I'm not sure... will we grow in time, or will we be wasting minerals? What happens if we move the worked tiles around? Can someone do the maths? I suck at working out the variables. It may be just as quick to build a scout patrol and then a colony pod, which would be better, yes?

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 14:54   #20
Micha
King

Having an additional scout patrol to protect the colpod is a completely different situation! Of course we should do this! Better two, since it´s possible to have 3 or 4 mindworms spawning at a time.
Old May 14, 2003, 15:36   #21
Jamski
Deity

If its only money, or a comfrequency, or a terraforming pod, then we won't have lost anything, anyway...

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 18:57   #22
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 11:24
My home PC access is limited at the moment, plus I've yet to reinstall SMAX after reinstalling the OS. Can someone say how much minerals does it take to build a colony pod and the scout?

As with nutrient issue, its either growth in 6 turns with the sea square or in 9 turns with the monolith.
Old May 14, 2003, 19:31   #23
Jamski
Deity

I can never remember the numbers, so don't look at me...

-Jam
Old May 14, 2003, 21:46   #24
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 20:24
Quote:

Worth a try?

-Jam
Looks like mindworm could be spawned awefully close to the base. Could we afford to have mindworm attack our city if we stack a scout with a colony pod? just wondering.
Old May 14, 2003, 22:16   #25
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

I was asked a question in one of the other team forums, so in fairness the answer is reproduced below:

I actually had to dumb down the AI after my first playtest (I'd given the Angels and the Believers a monolith right beside their three bases - the B's spawned like rabbits while the A's outresearched the UoP and the Borgs for the first ten to fifteen turns (with the 2 monolith energy per base)

So I tinkered with their monoliths - but of course couldn't stop a monolith being pod-popped (well I could have, by checking off the "pods never produce monoliths" box in the Scenario settings, but eventually we'd be left with the pods just producing native life if we deselected everything else !!!)

Also had started them with a crawler on a forest tile per base for the minerals (lurking, so that the dumb AI doesn't use them for exploration - I've seen that quite often), but had to take them away as well.

So they are AI's with developing muscles, but not on steroids .....

G.
Old May 15, 2003, 02:08   #26
Micha
King

Ok, so let´s get them all!!!
Old May 15, 2003, 03:08   #27
Jamski
Deity

Three free bases! No... SIX free bases. Thanks Googlie

-Jam
Old May 15, 2003, 17:15   #28
Googlie
Emperor

Please see and comment on:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=86125

G.
Old May 16, 2003, 13:55   #29
Micha
King

Wow, that guide holds a whole treasury of knowledge! GUIDE

Although it doesn´t cover every possible strategy (which actually isn´t possible ) I recommend every comrade to crossread the essential parts!
Old May 16, 2003, 18:20   #30
Googlie
Emperor

Voltaire:

When playing the official 2103 turn, can you go into the game preferences and deselect always investigate monoliths

See my post:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...1&pagenumber=3

Thanks

Googlie