dudemanjack
Warlord

Local Time: 21:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sony to launch portable console
It's supposed to come out in 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3026625.stm

Quote:
Electronics giant Sony has surprised the gaming world by announcing plans for a portable game console.

The handheld will build on its success of the PlayStation 1 and 2 consoles that dominate the gaming world.

The move pitches it into direct competition with Gameboy maker Nintendo as well as phone maker Nokia which is also producing a gaming handset.

The console should be on sale by the end of 2004.

Fierce fight

The new handheld will be called PSP and its imminent arrival was announced by Sony boss Ken Kutaragi at the E3 trade show currently ongoing in Los Angeles.

Details about the PSP's capabilities are scant but it is expected to have an 11cm (4.5inch) backlit, thin-film transistor liquid crystal display, memory stick slots and show DVD quality images.

The handheld is likely to be equivalent in power to the PlayStation 1 console allowing Sony to draw on a huge catalogue of already created games.

Sony is already king of the consoles and has outsold both Microsoft's Xbox and Nintendo's Gamecube.
The SP is the sleekest Gameboy yet

But it will face a fierce fight with Nintendo thanks to its decades long dominance of the handheld market with the Gameboy.

Nintendo brushed off Sony's announcement and said it would be working on tying the Gamecube console and Gameboy handheld closer together and by rolling out new versions of long standing favourites.

Despite Nintendo's confidence, Sony's announcement knocked 10% off the value of the Gameboy creators share price.

For its part Nokia said that its Ngage hybrid phone and game handheld was likely to be on sale in October. The Ngage is likely to go on sale for $299 (£185).

Nokia has signed a deal with Sega to provide games for the handset hybrid.

Exclusive deal

In other E3 news Sony said that from June the adapter that allows gamers to play against others online would be bundled in with the PlayStation 2.
Phone firms are making handheld game consoles too

Sony is also to trim 10% off the cost of a PlayStation 2 in the US, bringing the price down to $179.

Sony has also signed an exclusive deal with gaming giant EA on the software maker's sports titles.

The deal means that online versions of popular titles, such as Madden NFL, will only be created for the PlayStation console.

The move is widely seen as a snub for Sony rival Microsoft which is keen to dominate online play.

In the past EA has balked at creating online versions of its games for Microsoft's Xbox because of the cash terms of such a deal. EA is also thought to be way of ceding control of key customers to Microsoft and its Xbox service.

Sony has also announced an exclusive deal with game maker Take Two for a follow-up to the best-selling GTA - Vice City.
Old May 14, 2003, 13:38   #2
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I saw they were going to use Sony's memory stick with it as well. It sure would be cool if they could find a way to play Playstation games a la Turbographics 16.
Old May 14, 2003, 14:20   #3
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 20:27
This may crush the GBA, but if Nintendo's smart, they've already been working on a replacement anyways....so who will dominate the portable market is pretty much a matter of luck and timing.
Old May 14, 2003, 15:52   #4
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by JCG
This may crush the GBA,
I doubt it. Sony is going to face an uphill climb similar to that faced by Nintendo and MS in thier competition with the PS2: a huge lack of games in comparison with the GBA.
Old May 14, 2003, 22:58   #5
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

GBA is almost as powerful as PS1 anyway... its 32 bit graphic will be competitive agst whatever Sony does.

I was hoping this to be like "Sega Nomad". Sure, they do have PS one with flat screen, but thats too big to be a handheld.

portable cd player sized ps one would be awesome.
Old May 14, 2003, 23:53   #6
tniem
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I doubt it. Sony is going to face an uphill climb similar to that faced by Nintendo and MS in thier competition with the PS2: a huge lack of games in comparison with the GBA.
But if Sony's machine is at least as powerful as the PS1 then they would have a large title of games right off the bat as they could transfer many titles that fit a smaller screen. They can also use the leverage of the looming PS3 to get publishers to produce for the new handheld system as well as the GBA. I gotta believe that Sony feels they are in a pretty good position with this release.
Old May 16, 2003, 14:49   #7
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by tniem
I gotta believe that Sony feels they are in a pretty good position with this release.
I'm sorry but I've lost all confidence in Sony's ability to make intelligent decisions after I heard of thier plans for the PS3.