Old May 16, 2003, 12:54   #121
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV
If not, you only get vanilla features and conquest features (you don't get the 8 PTW civs, multiplayet, med. inf, etc)
Actually, multiplayer will be a Conquests feature as well. From the official FAQ :
Quote:
Will Civilization III: Conquests include multiplayer support?
Yes! Civilization III: Conquests will include enhanced multiplayer support!
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 12:55   #122
brianshapiro
Warlord

Local Time: 17:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
how many of the new government types, resources, etc will be mainly for the new campaigns / scenarios
brianshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 12:58   #123
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Local Time: 20:31
Spiffor, but they may only enhance it for the people who have PTW

brianshapiro, that is certaintly a possibility
Old May 16, 2003, 13:04   #124
Alfonso
Spanish Civers
Emperor

My suggestions for the expansion:

• Leader naval: They would have the same options that the terrestrial ones, that is to say, could finish a wonder or form a Navy. When discovering Navigation and having an active Navy would unblock the small wonder “Naval academy” that would serve to create Navies. The Navies serian in the sea the equivalent thing to the earth armies.
• When increasing the displeasure in your nation at crazy levels, that can arise a civil war.
• To balance the technological development so that more it is calmed at the beginning of the game.
• The Portuguese.
• To improve the AI so that it is not necessary to give advantage him at the beginning of the game in high levels in difficulty and does not make traps.
• More diplomatic options.
• The option to create economic unions between nations, those nations would share the military resources and alliances for always. Seemed to the European Union.
• More economic options.
• Masculine and feminine leader for each nation. Example: For the Spanish civilization, to be able to choose between Felipe II or Isabel the Catholic.
• To be able to choose the unique unit of each faction between several at the beginning of the game. Example: For the Spanish civilization, to be able to choose between the Tercios or the Conquerors.
• To be able to construct to naval bases of your nation in any country friend.
• That the explorers appear with the Map Making since is the moment at which they are useful.
• New great wonder “El Consejo de Indias”: Reduces the corruption in the cities of your civilization in the continent that does not have the Palace.
Old May 16, 2003, 13:10   #125
Spiffor

Quote:
Spiffor, but they may only enhance it for the people who have PTW
Actually, I don't think so because of this :
Quote:
Civilization® III: Conquests requires the original Civilization® III product in order to play.
It wouldn't be the first time civ3.com gives misleading information, mind you, but from what I read, it certainly seems that MP will be a built in feature in Conquests. However, it is possible that many typical MP features of PtW won't be in (victory conditions, maybe turnless mode even though I doubt it)
Old May 16, 2003, 13:47   #126
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:31
My prediction: no changes will be made that will either bring back ex-players or alienate current ones. The fans will be happy with the new goodies they get, everyone else will yawn and play something else.

The only reason the above was not true of Play the World is the promise of Multiplayer. This buzzword made Civ3 get a lot of attention. In contrast, Conquests will not promise anything radically new, and so it will not do even remotely as well as Play the World.

Even die-hard Civ3 fans (like me) are going to yawn at the "major additions", since, when you think about it, they're not all the major:

1. New civs (read: UUs): whatever. When it all comes down to it, the new Play the World UUs did not change gameplay much at all. I doubt anyone is afraid of amphibious Berzerk attacks anymore. The same will be true of the Conquests UUs.

2. New diplomatic options: could be interesting, but "whatever" anyway. The only way to make the diplomacy more interesting is to make the AI more interesting, and that's simply not going to happen. The AI will just be coded to use the new options, just like it was coded to use the new tile improvements in Play the World (Outposts, etc.). This will hardly affect gameplay.

3. Scenarios: maybe. They would have to add a whole bunch of tools for scenario-makers in order to create a vibrant scenario community (like in Neverwinter Nights, for example). But I doubt this will happen. The pre-packaged scenarios will probably be neat, but they will hardly be worth any money.

4. New "stuff" (like resources, improvements, etc): big whatever. If this stuff at all resembles what we paid for in Play the World, again we're not going to get our money's worth. The big problem is that not enough of the stuff is added to the Ancient/Medieval ages, so it rarely gets used; Internet, Commercial Docks, Guerilla. The Medieval Infantry is the closest thing to a strategic addition, and it's not much at that. But if they change the early-game too much, Conquests will "change Civ3 too much". So we're not going anything exciting in this department.

5. Disasters: yawn. In MP they will be turned off. In SP, they'll be random, which adds nothing to strategy (although I admit I would enjoy this addition if I were to play with it).

In conclusion: let's not get too excited; this will be more of the same. If you like Civ3, you'll (maybe) buy this. If you get your money's worth or not depends on how much you like Civ3. This is not a very good situation for the Conquests sales department.

Dominae
Old May 16, 2003, 13:55   #127
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 19:31
I almost forgot: we need unit trading and gifting!

Also, something along the lines of a SMAC Pact of Brotherhood to Serve nation X, that the AI would honor. That way you could let nations have some autonomy but still keep them as slaves in terms of foreign policy and war.
Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 14:12   #128
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
I almost forgot: we need unit trading and gifting!
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one concerned by this feature
Old May 16, 2003, 14:22   #129
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Here's how I think it'll work

If you have PTW, you can use conquests w/ PTW features

If not, you only get vanilla features and conquest features (you don't get the 8 PTW civs, multiplayet, med. inf, etc)
Or Conquests could include all of the stuff from PTW (except multiplayer) and work only with vanilla civ. What do they care? They figure if you don't have PTW by now you probably won't get it. Thus making PTW redundant for those only interested in single player.

My guess would be that Conquests will require PTW - just to suck every last dime.
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 15:56   #130
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 22:31
Nah, Conquests will require vanilla Civ3 and will include multiplayer support, maybe even with all those things included in PtW (turnless mode, new victory conditions etc.) But I think that Conquests won't have some of PtW additions, like outposts and radar towers and medieval infantry...

The problem is: if Conquests includes the things in PtW, it will be redundant for those who have PtW (8 new civs? ). My bet is that it won't have any of PtW additions, and that they will try, for instance, to include new city improvements that can substitute or have an effect similar to those added in PtW.
Old May 16, 2003, 16:23   #131
player1
Emperor

That would be very bad, since it would enfoce weird Civ3/PtW vs Civ3/Conq vs Civ3/PtW/Conq combos (and playtesting problems).

Having no PtW civs I would understand, but having no additinos added to all civs in PtW would be very bad (even from balancing point).

As far as I remembr, later expansions of HoMM3 has included extra race added in Armageddon Blade XP.

P.S.
Don't rememer any game were unit added in core game by XP, hasn't also be included in later XPs.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 17:00   #132
Jog
Settler

Local Time: 01:31
this thread is annoyingly massive.

Firaxis says "Diplomacy – Locked alliances allow good vs. evil conflicts you’ll never forget"

what the hell is that supposed to mean? Locked alliances? I'm not sure I like the sound of that.
Jog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 17:25   #133
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Locked alliances?
It's probably an editor feature.

Needed to make scenarios such as Axis vs Allies.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 17:59   #134
statusperfect
King

Re: Re: New XP announced
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

who - ah

rumour control was right

this is great news

have a nice day

you hold on any more bits of info?

cheers
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 18:34   #135
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: New XP announced
Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect

you hold on any more bits of info?

cheers

hi ,

what , and get my bottom's kicked if it aint true , .....

actually Mark was the first to speak about it a long time ago , .... people mentioned he was a bit lightheaded , ....

"rumour" control confirmed it , loads of people mentioned it was not true , not even to speak of some very stupid emails , and now this , ....

got this from www.firaxis.com

there are 6 screenshots also

have a nice day

Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Conquests is the 2nd exciting expansion pack to Sid Meier's Civilization® III, the greatest strategy game of all-time!

Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Conquests takes players on a provocative journey through the ages as they pursue victory in the most famous conquests in history.

What does Civ® Conquests give to fans of the award-winning series? Simply put - more Civ: More to Build, More to Fight, More to Rule!

Civ fans will discover intriguing new civilizations, units, wonders, technologies, and abilities to help them triumph in eight professionally designed conquests throughout history. Compete as one of the eight new Civilizations, each with its own powerful leader, unique units and special abilities, and lead your nation to its destiny. New victory conditions, Wonders of the World, terrain elements, resources, city improvements, and governments offer endless variation in your quest to rule the world. Improved multiplayer and play-by-email support, intense diplomatic situations, and a slew of editor enhancements, round out what Time Magazine calls "the greatest computer strategy game of all time."

Do you have what it takes to lead a civilization to greatness? Or, will your nation be conquered by some greater power? You decide.

Take over the World - One Conquest at a time!

Eight professionally designed adventures challenge you to recreate the great conquests of history. Battle for control of Mesopotamia in the Cradle of Civilization, or for the rich and vast resources in the Americas. Then, embark on a campaign through time as you attempt to conquer some of the most powerful civilizations ever and earn a place among the greatest leaders in history!

GAME FEATURES

New Civilizations: Eight new powerful civilizations from the innovative Sumerians to the mystical Mayans.
New Units: Use Trebuchets to batter down the enemy's walls or Sumerian Enkidu Warriors to quickly gain military dominance.
Disasters: Beware the volcanoes, or Pompeii could become your reality.
Diplomacy Options: Locked alliances allow good vs. evil conflicts you'll never forget.
Map Features: Bombard the enemy and leave behind craters.
Resources: Fight for control over Tobacco, Jade, and Exotic Birds.
Wonders: Build the statue of Zeus to make your troops powerful.
Governments: Forming an Islamic Sultanate is just one of the new ways to rule your people.
...And much, much, more!
Civilization® III: Conquests requires the original Civilization® III product in order to play.
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 18:35   #136
brianshapiro
Warlord

Local Time: 17:31
jog, for scenarios ... so if you play WWII germans you dont start off by declaring peace
brianshapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 18:48   #137
Panag
Emperor

NEW SCREENSHOTS
hi ,

all the screenshots in this thread > http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...20#post2004424

have a nice day
Old May 16, 2003, 18:55   #138
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by player1

It's probably an editor feature.

Needed to make scenarios such as Axis vs Allies.
Nah, all you need for scenarios like Axis and Allies are two civs - one named 'axis' and one named 'allies'. You can use the remainer civs to add in neutrals and bit players.

Sort of like cold war can have two civs - NATO and Warsaw Pact. Then toss in Peoples' Republic of China for fun.

Locked alliances just isn't that big of a deal. In fact, if you wanted to do something with all of the allies instead of just a single Allies civ, half the fun would be the Soviets turning on the Allies. A locked alliance would preclude all of those exciting counterfactual histories.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:58   #139
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Dominae:
You think the same thing than me.
But, I'm sure I'll be the first to buy this expansion.

See ya

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
CrONoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 19:01   #140
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

Nah, all you need for scenarios like Axis and Allies are two civs - one named 'axis' and one named 'allies'. You can use the remainer civs to add in neutrals and bit players.

Sort of like cold war can have two civs - NATO and Warsaw Pact. Then toss in Peoples' Republic of China for fun.

Locked alliances just isn't that big of a deal. In fact, if you wanted to do something with all of the allies instead of just a single Allies civ, half the fun would be the Soviets turning on the Allies. A locked alliance would preclude all of those exciting counterfactual histories.
hi ,

now that would be to easy would it not , ....

the axis was made up of several nations , so where the allies , ...

the same in the cold war , ....

at last we shall be able to make a real scenario with up to 32 civs

have a nice day
Old May 16, 2003, 19:12   #141
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cronos_qc
Dominae:
You think the same thing than me.
No, you think the same thing as me!

Quote:
But, I'm sure I'll be the first to buy this expansion.
Sadly, this may happen to me too. I'm a weak weak person.

Dominae
Old May 16, 2003, 21:01   #142
Quasar1011
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ

I hope some improvements or units reduce the problems of disasters, like granaries stopping famines, weather satellites stopping hurricanes/tornados (interesting idea)
A weather satellite wouldn't stop a hurricane or tornado. But for game purposes, building a "National Weather Service Small Wonder" could lessen the effects of these storms (blizzards & floods too).

It would be cool to see some weather effects on the maps. Anybody play Europa Universalis , and see the northern provinces turn white from snow in the winter months?

Of course, back in Civ 2 you could add 11 technologies. I usually added "Weather Control", making it the tech you needed to get in order to build spaceship modules.
And somebody had made a cool lightning bolt, so I made it a unit, like a missile, available with the tech.
Quasar1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 21:04   #143
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 19:31
Quote:
Originally posted by cronos_qc
MadMannixx :
they refused to put fondamentalism because of 09/11/2001 and Fascism for the "same" reason I think...
The reason Fundamentalism was left out is simple. It was too good; this according to Firaxis when questioned about why no Fundamentalism. They may have tweaked it so that it isn't so great.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 21:09   #144
Quasar1011
Warlord

In Civ 2, Fundamentalism was THE government to be once you'd researched all the techs you needed. The main reason was that there was absolutely no unhappiness. But in the real world, I think this is not the case. Perhaps a Fundie government would stamp out corruption, but not unhappiness, from a game-play point of view. Thoughts?
Quasar1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 23:28   #145
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Quasar1011

And somebody had made a cool lightning bolt, so I made it a unit, like a missile, available with the tech.
Hmm, that's not a bad idea at all.

Here's hoping for improved editor functions and scripting so that all sorts of variations can be introduced.

As for fundamentalism, I'm not sure how different it could be under the current method for defining governments. Also under the heading of improved editor, it would be nice to have actual control over certain numeric values in the governments section - like corruption and a way to set what a tile bonus is (number and resource type).
Old May 17, 2003, 00:03   #146
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Government parameters are too restrictive. Why have Communism when you can have Democracy? Why have Monarchy when you have Republic?

Certain things need to be added to help balance out the government types as they exist right now. I'm hoping they'll make them more detailed and thus, give the new government(s) more usefulness, but I'm not holding my breath.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 01:29   #147
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 18:31
With a Fundie government you have no expressed unhappiness, similar to how war weariness is handled now in Civ3. The real unhappiness level is not revealed to you until you've got real problems, even while you are still in the Fundie government.

Elegant, but I don't believe it will be implemented due to playability concerns. People just don't appreciate unpleasant surprises!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2003, 01:39   #148
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Government parameters are too restrictive. Why have Communism when you can have Democracy? Why have Monarchy when you have Republic?

Certain things need to be added to help balance out the government types as they exist right now. I'm hoping they'll make them more detailed and thus, give the new government(s) more usefulness, but I'm not holding my breath.
I don't know about monarchy, but if you have a religious civ, communism is great for those long modern era wars where weariness takes its toll even if you have police in every city, women's sufferage, all 8 luxuries, etc. If you're not religious these other governments are of marginal usefulness given the periods of anarchy.

What we have now are really two governments: wartime (low war weariness/martial law) and peacetime (tile bonus). Each type has 2 levels. My mod adds a third peacetime government (to offset despotism): Neoliberalism - which has tile bonus and communal corruption but lacks all the bonuses of democracy (work rate, immune to propaganda).

What I would like (but you're right in saying not to hold my breath) is the ability to say offset the communal corruption benefit of neoliberalism by upping the overall level of corruption and the empire-wide amount of unrest. Now that could lead to some interesting government choices. However, I would guess that the reason the governments are so close to each other is to make AI choice more rational. Who knows if the AI could deal as effectively with interesting government choices? (Well, I guess Soren does)
Old May 17, 2003, 10:51   #149
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

hi ,

it would be nice for scenarios and overall gameplay if certain civ could only have this or that type of governement and nothing else , ....

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2003, 15:08   #150
Aias
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerCall to Power II MultiplayerMac
Warlord

Thanks Sid! Just when I was starting to get burnt out on PTW! More time down the drain!

I want more units and more governments! And a 'Non-Aggression Pact" in diplomacy would be nice!

Hopefully all of these new civs can be used with the older ones!