Old May 21, 2003, 02:41   #181
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 20:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by CiverDan
You wont see fascism since they want to sell the game in Germany.
I though fascism was Italian.
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 04:04   #182
Pyrkaige
GalCiv Apolyton Empire
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Azeem
...I think our foreign advisors should drop a few hints every now and then that a paticular nation (that we have an embassy in) is sort of acting peculiar. There could be some hints that there will be war.
This would be nice to see, if the AI in Civ3 thought about wars far ahead of time. Unfortunately, it doesn't. Best I've been able to figure out, there are two kinds of wars that the Civ3 AI starts: think of them as the hate-war and the bully-war.

The hate-war is when the AI declares war on you without asking for anything first. The AI really doesn't like you and has decided to wipe you out; it declares war and attacks, usually with a few units on the first turn. This type of war is decided upon by the AI 2 turns in advance, which is when you'll see those units moving into your territory. This is the closest thing to "planning" a war that the AI does.

The bully-war is when the AI says that you have to give them something, or else. If you don't give them what they want they'll declare war on you, even if you're halfway around the world and they have no chance of getting it from you anyway. These sort of wars are spur of the moment; they aren't planned in advance at all.

So, to have diplomatic info that told you when an AI was thinking of beating you up, it would really only work on the 2 turns where the AI was moving units into your territory to start a hate-war. While that would be nice to a point, it's not info that you can't already see yourself if you keep an eye on who has units where.

Now, if the AI in Civ3 was modified to think more deeply about whether or not to go to war, and if it took more turns (at least 5) to move units into position, and if there was a way to go about heading off such a war in advance... then there would be a use for knowing that war was coming via your foreign advisor. That's a lot of ifs to have happen, though.
Pyrkaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 09:16   #183
troytheface
Settler

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Many of the suggestions and comments are interesting here. Ai problem is really unsolvable because with much play one can see how it wrks. Knowing how the enemy fights..how can u lose? Course i play only Mp games,
it has made Sp obsolete. What i would like to see is
the Navy System revamped, with subs that have ZOC
but that can sink ships. (but a miniscule defense)
Trade routes displayed like in Call to Power so u can really pirate. Some flame units, like a Fire catapult or
Trireme, or flame thrower. (Just for the visual really
but perhaps they could negate fortifications or something.) And carrier vs carrier air battles some how.
And more governemnts no doubt! Someone mentioned totalitarianism -which is a nice side step of getting anyone uptight.
Natural disasters are a great idea. Although i have talked to some who did not liike the idea of losing wonders and buildings ect to such. (personally i think it
would be cool, like Damn...Rome was hit by an earthquake and i lost all my #$$%%)
Someone mentioned that in Mp they would be turned off....why? by whom...i would boot them and play with those that like life-not predictability.
We will see ...and as for civ ideas- many simply want to see thier country (or group they feel somehow gives them credibility and identity) included...ur arguements are really because "i want my country to be there too" not for any logical reasons I have read. I thought that was what the editor was for...
troytheface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 16:32   #184
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 20:31
Troytheface: do you think you could beat Deep Blue in chess? AI can be made better.
Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 16:55   #185
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 18:31
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
I though fascism was Italian.
It's not true anyway--German gamers wouldn't avoid the game just because it had Fascism as a government type. Look at HoI.

Fascism was never in Civ, and I don't see much need--would it be qualitatively any different than their model for Communism?
Old May 21, 2003, 17:34   #186
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 21:31
From the CIV 3 FAQ page:

Quote:

Is Civ III: Play the World needed in order to play Civ III: Conquests?

No! You will not need Civilization III: Play the World in order to play Civilization III: Conquests!

So it seems that only Vanilla CIV 3 will be required for the expansion pact.

My votes for new civ's
Mayans
Incas
Poles
Nubians
Ethiopians
Polynesians
Sioux
Iraelis
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 21:43   #187
Selanne
Chieftain

I love making my own world maps. Let's fix the problems there.

1. Allow plains and tundra to be placed side by side
2. Reintroduce ice caps
3. Fix the possible terrain combos, so that plains and desert can always be placed together. In some circumstances as in point #1, the terrain will default to grassland.
4. Allow the option to place plains under jungles. Jungles have poor soil not good for growing crops.

As for civs:
1. Inca
2. Ethiopia/Axum
3. Songhai/Mali
4. Java/Indonesia
5. Khmer
6. Sioux
7. Kongo
8. Brazil (to fill another South American slot.)

We don't need anymore European or Middle Eastern civs!
Old May 22, 2003, 02:16   #188
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Well, I don't know about you guys but, if they are right in claiming that this expansion is going to be 700 TIMES larger than the PtW expansion, then I really don't think that this is going to be some little bug-fix, with a bit of eye-candy thrown in!!! To me, this sounds like the REAL-DEAL!!! i.e. Civ3 pretty much as the designers at Firaxis wanted it from the beginning (you know, before Infograms stuck it's beak in )
So, what do you guys reckon?

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 02:39   #189
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 03:31
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Aussie_Lurker
Well, I don't know about you guys but, if they are right in claiming that this expansion is going to be 700 TIMES larger than the PtW expansion, then I really don't think that this is going to be some little bug-fix, with a bit of eye-candy thrown in!!! To me, this sounds like the REAL-DEAL!!! i.e. Civ3 pretty much as the designers at Firaxis wanted it from the beginning (you know, before Infograms stuck it's beak in )
So, what do you guys reckon?

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
who said 700 times larger?

cheers
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 02:53   #190
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

I think I read it right!! It's in the Civ3 news section, and was the claim made by Kelly Gilmore,the head of Firaxis' PR group. Whether the claim is accurate or not, still remains to be seen!! Anyway, you'll need to check the news item to see if I read it right!! .

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old May 22, 2003, 03:00   #191
statusperfect
King

Quote:
I think I read it right!! It's in the Civ3 news section, and was the claim made by Kelly Gilmore,the head of Firaxis' PR group. Whether the claim is accurate or not, still remains to be seen!! Anyway, you'll need to check the news item to see if I read it right!! .

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
what's the name of the item... cant find it....

cheers
Old May 22, 2003, 03:02   #192
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

from the civ3 news section:

"The beta program for Civilization III: Conquests will be more or less ten times the size as the preceding expansion pack for Civilization III, Civilization III: Play The World. Kelley Gilmore, the Public Relations Manager at developer Firaxis Games, added to the existing knowledge base [see story] that the testing will be closed but will include several hundred hand-picked individuals. Those selected must also agree to and sign a non-disclosure agreement in order to officially become apart of the program. "
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 03:05   #193
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

"The beta program for Civilization III: Conquests will be more or less ten times the size as the preceding expansion pack for Civilization III, Civilization III: Play The World. Kelley Gilmore, the Public Relations Manager at developer Firaxis Games, added to the existing knowledge base [see story] that the testing will be closed but will include several hundred hand-picked individuals. Those selected must also agree to and sign a non-disclosure agreement in order to officially become apart of the program. "
does that mean a 4 gigabytes install?

cheers
Old May 22, 2003, 03:06   #194
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

It's the story entitled "BETA PROGRAM SIZE, TYPE, AFFILIATIONS" and, oops, it's not hundreds of times larger-only at least "ten times larger" . Sorry about that. Still, though, that this expansion is even 10 times larger (it could be more, 'cause she claims it will be AT LEAST 10 times larger) is a good sign that it will contain a HELL of a lot more features than PtW, and will certainly be more than eye candy plus bug-fixes!!! Sorry about getting you so excited, I just misread the relevent section-oops!!!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old May 22, 2003, 03:09   #195
statusperfect
King

hey... after reading it again i realize it is the beta test team that will be 10 times larger :/

cheers
Old May 22, 2003, 04:15   #196
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 19:31
Quote:
It's the story entitled "BETA PROGRAM SIZE, TYPE, AFFILIATIONS" and, oops, it's not hundreds of times larger-only at least "ten times larger" . Sorry about that. Still, though, that this expansion is even 10 times larger (it could be more, 'cause she claims it will be AT LEAST 10 times larger) is a good sign that it will contain a HELL of a lot more features than PtW, and will certainly be more than eye candy plus bug-fixes!!! Sorry about getting you so excited, I just misread the relevent section-oops!!!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The 10 times larger is referring to the number of testers, not the size of the game.

Considering it (C3C) is only 400 MB (and not 4 GB) in size, the same size as PtW, and the amount of time to finish the testing for release, it can't be too much more than what they have claimed so far. The amount of space needed for the scenarios is going to take a decent chunk of that 400 MB. A large amount will also go in the Art folder. Check out your PtW Art folder (amount of space required, mine shows 263 MB just in the Art folder) if you have PtW.

Last edited by kring; May 22, 2003 at 04:29.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 06:21   #197
Master2000
Settler

Local Time: 02:31
Does anyone has a clue what "Extended multiplayer" means?

More than 8 human players with AI? Sure miss this... Most of my LAN games are played with my friends teaming against the AI.
Master2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 08:47   #198
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

hi ,

, any news on the comp specs

Firaxis , posting ones in a while and giving us some info or a chat would be nice , .....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 10:52   #199
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

http://civ3.com/conq_faq.cfm#faqs4

This was put on the Civ3.com site May 15, 2003:

What are the system requirements for the game?
Windows® version (95/98/Me/2000/XP)
Pentium II, 400Mhz
64 MB RAM
400 MB free HD space
4X CD-ROM
DirectX 8.0a or better
Video card: capable of 1024 x 768 x 16-bit color
Sound card: DirectX 8.0a compatible
Old May 23, 2003, 05:37   #200
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Master2000
Does anyone has a clue what "Extended multiplayer" means?

More than 8 human players with AI? Sure miss this... Most of my LAN games are played with my friends teaming against the AI.
enchanced multiplayer

my guess is that conquests will include all components of PtW except the multiplayer component will be locked if you don't have PtW

cheers
Old May 23, 2003, 11:39   #201
kring
King

Quote:
Is Civ III: Play the World needed in order to play Civ III: Conquests?
No! You will not need Civilization III: Play the World in order to play Civilization III: Conquests!
There is no indication that you will need PtW for MP if you have C3C. The FAQ does state that it (C3C) will have enhanced MP support.

Last edited by kring; May 23, 2003 at 12:07.
Old May 24, 2003, 11:39   #202
Slartibartfast
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:31
Conquests
Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
anyone knows if we'll need PtW to run it?

cheers
Hmmmph. Isn't PtW also an expansion pack? I would imagine it would be possible to start with the original 1.29f and install the new pack right on top. I would also imagine the expansion pack to cost about half as much as the original game, but I may be wrong?

Last edited by Slartibartfast; May 24, 2003 at 14:43.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 12:02   #203
Falco
Chieftain

This has probably been done to death, if so apologies but....

Can someone really smart tell me what is keeping those extremely nice and helpful people at Firaxis from releasing the UK patch for PTW?

Free the UK patch says I!!
Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 12:20   #204
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Falco

Can someone really smart tell me what is keeping those extremely nice and helpful people at Firaxis from releasing the UK patch for PTW?

hi ,

talk to infogrames , ...

no-one really knows for sure whats going to happen , .....

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 13:32   #205
Steve Clark
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Considering how uninspired PtW was as an expansion, I'll not hold my breath on this one.

However, the inclusion of the campaigns gives me hope that we will FINALLY be able to create real scenarios in the editor. I'm telling Firaxis right now: If there is no ability to edit diplomacy in the editor, I ain't buying the expansion.
Seems like I just check here once a year to see if we will be able to create real scenarios with Civ3 (re: events editor). Doesn't anyone here except for a few old-timer know anything about Civ2 scenarios and what made them so special??? Seems like even Firaxis have forgotten. Do you think Conquests will be it or do we have to wait some more?
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 16:07   #206
kring
King

Quote:

Talk to Atari. Firaxis isn't in charge of releasing the localizations, Atari is.
Old May 24, 2003, 19:13   #207
Falco
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by kring

Talk to Atari. Firaxis isn't in charge of releasing the localizations, Atari is.
It's a shame that there isn't a better way to get a refund. After all, the game is pretty unplayable with the Bomber/Intercept bug

Honesty is the best policy although insanity is the better defence!
Old May 24, 2003, 19:14   #208
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Seems like I just check here once a year to see if we will be able to create real scenarios with Civ3 (re: events editor). Doesn't anyone here except for a few old-timer know anything about Civ2 scenarios and what made them so special??? Seems like even Firaxis have forgotten. Do you think Conquests will be it or do we have to wait some more?
I only post on Civ3 when posting On-Topic, but I was a big Civ2 player at the time. I remember what made Civ2 scenarios so great. I think events will be in this expansion, but I don't think there will be the scripting language CtP2 fans strive for. Besides, I don't think the event editor will be as good as in the final expansion of Civ2 (was it Test of Time ?)
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 19:20   #209
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's a shame that there isn't a better way to get a refund. After all, the game is pretty unplayable with the Bomber/Intercept bug
Erm, this bug is fixed since about one year and a half. If you haven't downloaded it yet, I strongly advise you to download the 1.29 patch for Civ3 (it is directly implemented if you installed PtW). This patch makes the game experience much, much better, and vanilla Civ3 is nearly bug-free with it
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 19:30   #210
Falco
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

Erm, this bug is fixed since about one year and a half. If you haven't downloaded it yet, I strongly advise you to download the 1.29 patch for Civ3 (it is directly implemented if you installed PtW). This patch makes the game experience much, much better, and vanilla Civ3 is nearly bug-free with it
??? You sure about that? I am playing PTW, in single mode, and every time I get to air wars and send bombers in I get a jet interceptor appear on the other side and BLUE SCREEN, game over!

Also, in the US "Fix List" on the mod, it clearly says it fixes just that buglet.....

Honesty is the best policy although insanity is the better defence!