Old May 24, 2003, 19:42   #211
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 21:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Falco

??? You sure about that? I am playing PTW, in single mode, and every time I get to air wars and send bombers in I get a jet interceptor appear on the other side and BLUE SCREEN, game over!

Also, in the US "Fix List" on the mod, it clearly says it fixes just that buglet.....

Never had that bug....check your range on your bombers; it may be in excess of what the game allows (recomend a range no greater than 12) it is possible that it is causing the crash. (ignore if you do not mod)

of course you should make sure that the origional and PTW are fully patched (1.29 for CIV 3, 1.21 for PTW)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 06:18   #212
Falco
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber

Never had that bug....check your range on your bombers; it may be in excess of what the game allows (recomend a range no greater than 12) it is possible that it is causing the crash. (ignore if you do not mod)

of course you should make sure that the origional and PTW are fully patched (1.29 for CIV 3, 1.21 for PTW)
Aha!!

Just twigged your location. All you folk in CONUS have the advantage that dear old Inforgames/Firaxis/Atari/whoevertakesemovertoday got your fix out almost immediately for PTW.

The rest of us poor mortals in OCONUS [Who incidentally pay Pounds Sterling where you pay Dollars US] continue to get shafted because they cannot work out how to fix "localisation issues".

BTW, I know that the rest of the world pays in other currencies than Sterling however the principle applies that any techie stuff costs 66% in the US of "real world" prices. Don't even get me started on the price of their gasoline!

Basically, as soon as they realised the PTW game was seriously flawed they got a US fix out and we are still waiting several months later despite having paid more for the game in the first place.

Oh, and the games I am referring to are not modded at all, still trying to play through a whole game with "bog-standard" software before making mods.

Honesty is the best policy although insanity is the better defence!
Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 11:01   #213
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:31
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Falco

??? You sure about that? I am playing PTW, in single mode, and every time I get to air wars and send bombers in I get a jet interceptor appear on the other side and BLUE SCREEN, game over!

Also, in the US "Fix List" on the mod, it clearly says it fixes just that buglet.....
hi ,

send a save to firaxis , try reinstall , if that fails , complete remove and delete , look manually for files like infogrames , firaxis , civ , etc , remove them , reboot , reinstall , and get patches , makes sure all firewall and security programs are down

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 11:18   #214
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I have a UK version of PtW (on a US version of Civ3) and I've never seen that bug. As far as I know, You are the only one compleining about the interception bug since the first patch for Vanilla Civ3 came out. It is most probably a problem from your copy or your compuer, so you should check Infogrames' support
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 11:52   #215
Falco
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I have a UK version of PtW (on a US version of Civ3) and I've never seen that bug. As far as I know, You are the only one compleining about the interception bug since the first patch for Vanilla Civ3 came out. It is most probably a problem from your copy or your compuer, so you should check Infogrames' support
I am now seriously considering therapy because clearly I am insane and you are all sane. However, if you look at the other threads on this board and also main topics of conversation on other newsgroups such as alt.games.civ3 then you will see that the US version HAS been fixed of just such a bug as I am complaining about and also that they are about 3 months behind on releasing that fix to the rest of the world.

The fix is V1.12f (see separate thread on here) and it, amongst other fixes:
Quote:
* Fixed a graphics issue with bombarding and interception causing a lockup and graphics corruption.
Having said that, the voices in my head are arguing but then they always do.

Old May 25, 2003, 12:02   #216
Spiffor

The_Falco : check your PMs
Old May 25, 2003, 12:03   #217
Falco
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
The_Falco : check your PMs
Sorry friend but I do not know what you are referring to.

Old May 25, 2003, 12:25   #218
Spiffor

Your Personal Messages. Wlick on the "Control Panel" button that you can find on any page under the big Apolyton logo.
Old May 25, 2003, 12:44   #219
Falco
Chieftain

Thank you

Old May 25, 2003, 12:45   #220
Falco
Chieftain

Old May 26, 2003, 00:26   #221
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:31
I got this in my e-mail today.
Quote:
Expand your game with Civilization® III: Conquests

Firaxis Games and Atari are teaming up once again to bring you the newest addition to the Civilization franchise! Coming this Fall, Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Conquests will take you on a provocative journey through the ages as you pursue victory in the most famous conquests in history.

Battle for control of Mesopotamia in the Cradle of Civilization, or for the rich and vast resources in the Americas. Then, embark on a campaign through time as you attempt to conquer some of the most powerful civilizations ever and earn a place among the greatest leaders in history!

Find out more about the announcement and Civ® Conquests at civ3.com.

What's Civ Conquests all about?

More to Conquer: Try your hand as one of the newest tribes introduced through eight professionally designed Conquest scenarios

More to Build: Construct new wonders, city improvements and military units

More to Explore: Research new technologies, trade for more resources and discover new map features

More to Civ: With extra governments, unit abilities, victory conditions, AI changes and editor improvements, you'll enjoy brand new Civ experiences where you are challenged to employ new strategies and techniques in your quest for Conquest!

Get all your Frequently Asked Questions about Civ Conquests answered here!

Read the Civ Conquests FAQ

Firaxis and Atari also recently announced the return of Sid Meier's Pirates!® to the PC.

Read more about it here.

What are you waiting for? Buy Civilization III: Play the World and choose from 8 more civilizations in single player or fast-paced online multiplayer games.

Get your copy today!

"Your majesty, our Beta Tester borders are expanding!"

We will be accepting several hundred players as part of our Civ Conquest closed beta program in June. Participants who qualify must agree to the terms of the beta test program, including a non-disclosure agreement.

You can sign up for the beta program here.

"Would you care to trade World Maps?"

We've added more of our favorite fan-created maps to the civ3.com site. Download them and try them out by yourself or against friends in turnless, simultaneous, or play by email.

Click here to download.
Click here to download

Keep your copy of Civilization up to date with the latest and greatest version of the game.

Get the most recent software update for further improvements to multiplayer and online gameplay.

Click here for more information.

TALK TO US...
What do you think about Civ Conquests?

We've announced a lot of exciting additions in the upcoming expansion pack. But which of the new Civ Conquests features is most exciting to you?

Let us know!

© 2003 Atari Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Sid Meier's Civilization®, Civ®, and Civilization® are U.S. registered trademarks. Firaxis Games is a trademark of Firaxis Games, Inc.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 02:30   #222
statusperfect
King

More unit abilities sound cool. Maybe we get a pikeman defense bonus against knights at last.

cheers
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 03:06   #223
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

Who knows, maybe we'll also have ground units with an "Anti-Aircraft" ability!! That would be incredibly cool, and finally give ground units a means of defending against aerial bombardment!!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
The_Aussie_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 04:37   #224
Falco
Chieftain

I wrote back to them and suggested that if they fixed the existing bugs in PTW then I would be more than happy to entertain purchasing some more products from them. Until that time......

Old May 26, 2003, 05:36   #225
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

wow , at least some feedback , .....

no answer what so ever when it comes to mac

as for the rest , they are very tight on new info on all available channels , ......

have a nice day
Old May 26, 2003, 08:48   #226
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
This announcement surely says something about the stupidity of civ-gamers, or perhaps the size of SM's cahones. We bought a SP game for $50 that took nearly a year to de-bug. Then we bought a MP game for $40 that continues to have major bugs for US and other versions. They announce another expansion that will cost another $40-50 and instead of outrage I see many messages. Do you really think another expansion will work (or not) any differently than the previous two?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 09:39   #227
boojumhunter
Chieftain

Hmm...

I like CIV I, II, III and PTW... but I can't really get excited by an expansion when there are still outstanding issues with the existing versions. Can't help but feel that I'm being milked here...

Have fun folks, I think I'll pass until I can find it for $5.00 in the cheapie bin.
boojumhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 17:52   #228
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
This announcement surely says something about the stupidity of civ-gamers, or perhaps the size of SM's cahones. We bought a SP game for $50 that took nearly a year to de-bug. Then we bought a MP game for $40 that continues to have major bugs for US and other versions. They announce another expansion that will cost another $40-50 and instead of outrage I see many messages. Do you really think another expansion will work (or not) any differently than the previous two?
hi ,

sjee , where did you do your shopping

anyway , take a look at the prize of a pack of smokes , go to a football game , there are so many things a person spend easy more on then on a civ game , ......

yet the civ games give you fun when you want it , day or night , the football game is gone , a vague memory is all that stays , ......

so its worth its prize all the way

have a nice day
Old May 26, 2003, 18:54   #229
player1
Emperor

XPs are for real civ-fans anyway, not for casual gamers.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 23:21   #230
Underseer
Warlord

Local Time: 19:31
I'll certainly be buying this one the second it comes out but...

Permanent alliances? The current alliance implementation is already a little too permanent if you ask me. :P
Old May 26, 2003, 23:54   #231
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 21:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Underseer
I'll certainly be buying this one the second it comes out but...

Permanent alliances? The current alliance implementation is already a little too permanent if you ask me. :P

This option is for scenerios. It locks civs into alliances with others to insure the stability of the Scenerio. The need for this is most evident in historical scenerios such as a popular one for WW2 where with the existing alliance system can allow Japan to ally with America, Germany with Russia ect. which would ruin the design of the scenerio.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 02:14   #232
Azeem
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
Where did you get PTW for $40-$50??? I got it for $20.

It doesn't matter to me if the expansion isn't perfect. I'm quite satisfied with what PTW added to the single-player aspect of CivIII (though the bugs did get a bit irritating at times, but all games have bugs anyway). I guess I'm just one of the sheep.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Azeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 08:21   #233
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by player1

hi ,

yes and no , many people buy the xp or see the xp or gold edition and then get around to playing and buying it , ......

have a nice day
Old May 27, 2003, 11:36   #234
Falco
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
Once I couldn't spell "real civ fan" and now I are one!

I bought all the versions plus PTW, now holding on buying anything more until they fix PTW. I expect this as part of the package of buying the software.

Old May 27, 2003, 12:07   #235
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Yeah, I guess it was $20 or so for PtW. I bought it from compUSA the day it arrived in town (I wanted PBEM). I bought CIV3 the day it was out from one of the good online sites (although I was playing it before my copy arrived 3 days later )

With that in mind I suppose it isnt too crazy to spend another $20-30, BUT I doubt that I will (see sig).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 17:18   #236
SirOsis
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 02:31
I think I dropped $30 and had never been so upset and a game. 1.04 was worthless. The game still needs work and they are putting out another pack. Eventually the game might be as I imagined it the day I laid out the cash for PTW. I'll probably end up getting it because I enjoy PBEM games and I'm a civ addict.
SirOsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 17:52   #237
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 02:31
As player1 said the expansions are targeting more for the hard core civers and not just the casual player. I for one thing have ben satisfied with what firaxis has done up to now (I never had the game crush on me and I've never seen a bug but a couple flies on my monitor). That said I will buy the game the minute it comes out! The press release sounds very interesting!

So long...
The Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 20:19   #238
Joseph
King

Local Time: 18:31
I will buy it day one.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2003, 20:37   #239
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

I will buy it when it drops to $20
Old May 28, 2003, 02:42   #240
Virdrago
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I think the real-world events would be cool. Remember the original Civ? I think that certain improvements should help against certain things (like the temple for volcanoes).

As for new civs, the obvious ones are:

Incas
Mayans
Hittites
Sumerians

but including certain scenarios hinted at, possibilities might include:

Khmers
Siam/Thailand
Vietnam

It would help the Far East out, and a Mongol Invasion Scenario would include Southeast Asia (it's also an area dominated by Indian and Chinese culture)

Songhai/Mali/Ghana
Ethiopia/Axum
Morocco

Just for more African civs. Ethiopia was an African Christian bastion in Crusading times, too, and Morocco was a powerful nation before and around the Renaissance era (looking at scenarios).

Assyria
Israel
Phoenicia

In an ancient scenario, these would be ideal, though making a mess of Mesopotamia (excuse the pun), what with Persians, Egyptians, Babylonians, and potentially Hittites already in that area.

If I had to add another European power (yeah, I know), it would either be Portugal or Austria.

Though if the trebuchet is a UU, methinks maybe Charlemagne and the Franks?

Other possible units: Crusader 5/2/2, going back to Civ II again.

The Hittites were the first Iron workers, though they used a lot of chariots, so maybe a mix between chariots and swordsmen, using both iron and horses? though that might give them a disadvantage to other early UU civs.

Just a few thoughts for my first post (Whew!)
Virdrago is offline   Reply With Quote