Old May 15, 2003, 01:27   #1
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 01:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Are you for or against the 'Three Gorges Dam'. and why?
I think I'm for it. Used to be against it, but changed. It will replace alot of coal burning, and allow ocean transport into poorer areas.
Old May 15, 2003, 02:17   #2
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 11:32
I'm all for ocean transport to poorer areas

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 15, 2003, 02:18   #3
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Against. Too much of some of China's heritage is going to be lost. The communist party hasn't given archeologists enough time to study the parts of the Three Gorges region that will be submerged. There was another program on years ago before construction began showing some of what would be lost.

Damn shame.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old May 15, 2003, 02:20   #4
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/c2718.html

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/asia/...rges_10-8.html
Old May 15, 2003, 03:13   #5
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
I am not sure whether the long term impact of it on the soil downstream has been studied. Otherwise, I have little problems with it.
Old May 15, 2003, 03:25   #6
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 11:32
It will probably be a disaster, but we'll see.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 15, 2003, 03:27   #7
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I generally hate the Chinese
Old May 15, 2003, 03:31   #8
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I remember reading the (June?) 1997 National Geographic about the three gorges

There was then a thunderstorm and I fell asleep all tucked away in that little window cubby that sticks out of the house talking to Vanessa on the phone

OH GOD HOW I WISH I COULD GO BACK OH GOD I HATE ALL OF THIS
Old May 15, 2003, 03:38   #9
dannubis
King

Local Time: 03:32
so, they are creating a like, which will be surrounded by at least a hundred million people. Knowing the Chinese concern for ecology i wonder how long it will take before the lake will become the worlds largest open sewer.
Old May 15, 2003, 05:49   #10
Lancer
Deity

They're cheating though, aren't they? The US already built the Hoover Dam, providing hydro to every city on the continent. Their dam should become a library or something.

AH, what's wrong with ocean transport to poorer areas? More work will be available, more goods. Stuff you enjoy.

DRose...it's a time capsule. That stuff will be protected under all the mud and water for another thousand years. When the dam finally breaks, after they clean up the mess, they'll find all that really old stuff under there.
Old May 15, 2003, 08:09   #11
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
I'm all in favor of three gorgeous dames, unless of course you're talking about a remake of the "Charlie's Angels" movie, the original of which was pretty c****y.
Old May 15, 2003, 08:12   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:32
I'm for it. The change to the environment is a small price to pay for the amount of clean power it will generate. It will also up the ante in the game of massive public works projects. Now we (the US) have to build something bigger!

USA USA
Old May 15, 2003, 08:32   #13
Demerzel
Warlord

What is the US' need to have the biggest buildings, planes, ships, projects, etc...?

Do you all have tiny dicks? Over-compensating are we?
Old May 15, 2003, 08:35   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 20:32
I think it has more to do with creating something that will outlive future generations. I doubt the Egyptians were "compensating" when they built the Pyramids.
Old May 15, 2003, 09:02   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Bigger, Better, Faster, baby. USA!

As to the Three Gorges... well, that's up to the Chinese. I'm sure there are potential pitfalls, but it's their problem. Would we have given two shits about people halfway around the world criticizing the building of the Hoover Dam?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 15, 2003, 09:47   #16
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

There is already a dam across the Yangzee about 100 miles east of Three Gorges. The dam was built during the era of Sino-Soviet cooperation in the late 50's. The dam hasn't silted up or broken yet, but its on a much smaller scale than Three Gorges. Somebody once argued that China could get better flood control, more electricity, and less ecological problems by building a series of smaller dams on Yangzee tributaries. That seems like a reasonable argument to me, but the Chinese have always had this cultural issue about flood control projects.
Old May 15, 2003, 11:20   #17
Zkribbler
Deity

I was going to say "for" because the archiological loss is more than made up for by the need for electricity and modernization. The sea transport is just icing on the cake.

Then I saw the possible alternative in Adam Smith's post. Now, I'm not so sure.
Old May 15, 2003, 11:24   #18
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:32
Quote:
Somebody once argued that China could get better flood control, more electricity, and less ecological problems by building a series of smaller dams on Yangzee tributaries.
Yeah, I've heard the same. It seems that the biggest reason for building the dam is to do some "lookie we built something really big!" ****-waving.
Old May 15, 2003, 11:31   #19
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 17:32
The big difference with Hoover dam is that it's on a river running through desert.

Dams and flood control levies on the lower Mississippi are affecting all sorts of stuff, including maintenance of the coastline in Louisiana (New Orleans will be gone in a matter of decades), and soil regeneration along the river.

Three gorges is a major tradeoff, and whatever adverse consequences there will be, the Chinese don't want to know.

It's also doubtful that coal power will be replaced - more likely, they'll add more industry.
Old May 15, 2003, 12:54   #20
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

I'm generally for it. I have yet to see any favorable reports on the dam in the western media, although I've come to expect that wherever China is concerned.

It will be a shame to see historic sites submerged, but the Communist party has frequently ploughed over these sites if it will help industry and modernization. Love them or loathe them, at least they're consistent.

I don't know enough about it to comment on the details, such as the questioned safety of the project, or the rumors of endemic corruption surrounding it - but I believe at roots, the idea behind it is a good one and I prefer that the government spends money like this on trying to provide clean electricity, rather than military and weapons of defence.

It's interesting but I think a lot of the posters here (and with US flags beneath their names, I fear) would probably not have said anything if the country building this had been, say, Japan. Once the name "China" appears in any news item, it's interesting to gauge exactly how that colors American perceptions of the whole question.

I say this because I'm caught in the middle of a two-week-old argument in my family's email ring. Half of us live in North America (USA and Canada) and the other half of us live in China and Southeast Asia. Accusations of news manipulation and brainwashing are thrown both ways at China's government controlled media and America's corporate-owned channels alike.

As the only one in my family doing a Master's degree in Journalism, I feel like I'm the most knowledgeable person about this topic and still my answer is always "well, I don't know..."
Old May 15, 2003, 13:12   #21
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
What is the US' need to have the biggest buildings, planes, ships, projects, etc...?

Do you all have tiny dicks? Over-compensating are we?
Maybe Hoover did
Old May 15, 2003, 13:18   #22
Kidicious
Deity

I'm for it, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the possibility of it breaking. I don't know how likely that is, but it would be very bad.
Old May 15, 2003, 13:32   #23
Panda
Prince

The environmental paradox with renewable energy (hydroelectricity, wind, tidal): it generates cleaner eletricity than coal or gas, but at a cost to wildlife.

Reading this article I think you'd have to agree that there are powerful arguments in favour of daming (flood control, power, and irrigation) which should prevail. How it benefits the country itself depends on the administration: http://www.economist.com/displaystor...ory_id=1667113
Old May 15, 2003, 13:44   #24
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Smith
There is already a dam across the Yangzee about 100 miles east of Three Gorges. The dam was built during the era of Sino-Soviet cooperation in the late 50's. The dam hasn't silted up or broken yet, but its on a much smaller scale than Three Gorges. Somebody once argued that China could get better flood control, more electricity, and less ecological problems by building a series of smaller dams on Yangzee tributaries. That seems like a reasonable argument to me, but the Chinese have always had this cultural issue about flood control projects.
A series of Dams would control flooding better and might even be cheaper but let's face it. The communists are out to wow the world by showing how big there (filling any building project here) is.

Also on giant dam would produce more electricity and the lake would be big enough for ocean going ships to use while a series of smaller lakes would not. The big problem is this lake is going to turn into a giant open sewer since Chinese cities don't have the best sanitation systems.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 15, 2003, 14:08   #25
Kidicious
Deity

I haven't been to Hong Kong harbor for many years, but when I was there it was filthy. Trash floating everywhere.
Old May 15, 2003, 14:11   #26
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious
I haven't been to Hong Kong harbor for many years, but when I was there it was filthy. Trash floating everywhere.
That seems to be the norm in just about every where in Asia. Even in realatively affluent Korea you still find some nasty, nasty water.

Japan was the only exception I've found so far. That place was totally spotless.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 15, 2003, 14:42   #27
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
Japan.

Something's rotten there lately, though.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:05   #28
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

One of the major reasons for the TGD is lack of fresh water in China. They need water for irrigation and for 1.25 billion people to drink, take showers, etc. On top of that, industry needs water and lots of it. And China's industrial base is growing, growing, growing . . . at least until SARS kicked the table out from under them. That's probably just a glitch, and China will soon be back on its natural path of world domination.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old May 15, 2003, 22:14   #29
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Water pollution is actually fairly short term, as far as biological waste is concerned. If what you're dumping into the water is mostly biodegradable stuff, then tight controls within a few years will clear the matter up. (Hurr hurr Beavith, you thaid "dumping". Hnn-hnn! Hnn-hnn!)

It's when the chemical sludge comes out of the industrial parks and enters the water system that you have a problem on your hands. Industrial runoff will hang around for decades and you can't leave it and hope nature will solve it the way you can with biowaste.

The Chinese government has a weird system whereby it has the authority to dictate environmental initiatives with unquestionable fiat. This works in Beijing, where limitations on exhaust fumes are taking hold at a fast rate. However, in the backwaters (pun) of the Three Gorges valley, corruption and inefficiency would be far harder to curb and such top-down edicts would be more difficult to enforce.

A move towards participatory politics would increase efficiency and discourage corruption (or maybe force it further underground, a la Enron) but would also erode the fiat of the government. This may not be as desirable a thing in China as it is in America, especially considering the 5,000 year long culture that holds a strong tyrannical rulership in higher esteem than a weak populist one.

It is also imperative to the success of the Three Gorges scheme and indeed the future Chinese economy that potstickers, in profusion, are readily available throughout the nation. I cannot stress this enough.
Old May 15, 2003, 22:34   #30
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:32
I'm generally for it. China needs energy for its growing economic power, and I prefer to see a hydro plant rather than a coal plant to provide it. Besides, if this project is well thought out (that has yet to be proven), it would tremendously help Chinese agriculture, by mùaking it more efficient.

The loss of artifacts is terrible But I hope the Chinese authorities or NGOS will try to salvage them while it'sstill time. Otherwise, the Chinese authorities would deserve a dlear booing.