Local Date: November 2, 2010
EIFFEL TOWER! I really miss it.

cheers
Old May 15, 2003, 17:25   #32
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 01:35
Isn't the Statue of Zeus sort of a pre-feudalism Sun Tzu's? That's what the PR made it sound like...
Old May 15, 2003, 17:41   #33
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
Thinking more about it, scrap the Panama Canal. I want more worker actions. We should have the workers able to build (at least) canals, underwater tunnels (like the Chunnel) and be able to dry out new land in limited circumstances (say, dry out a coastal sea tile which is surrounded by six land squares.) These would take a heap of time, of course, unless you use many many workers. My "North Sea Protection Works" wonders is related to this, as the North Sea Protection Works are what keeps a goodly portion of Netherlands from going under the sea - this wonder could shorten the time it takes to dig out new land.

Statue of Liberty needs to be in, though I'm not sure of the effect. Maybe it could increase population growth (symbolizes immigration)?
Also, I imagine Stonehenge working something like Weather Paradigm in SMAC - it makes workers work faster. (I'm not sure how much faster, though - it could be a killer with Industrial civ)
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old May 15, 2003, 18:17   #34
Paulypav
Warlord

I love the idea of some sort of small wonder acadamies for naval and air force units. Building the Naval Acadamy allows you to create carrier battle groups, the air force academy is necessary for precision bombing.

I really like the idea of the "North Sea Protection Works" as a small wonder that allows you to terraform land, build canals, underwater tunnels, and bridges.

Statue of Liberty needs to be back in, I like the idea of giving it the effect of reducing the amount of anarchy during a revolution.

What about the Colisseum of Rome - Give a Colosseum in every city, although that might be a bit powerful on top of other happiness wonders.
Old May 15, 2003, 19:44   #35
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
You might want to bet on the new wonders: here.
Old May 15, 2003, 21:08   #36
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 17:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Louis XXIV
What do you think Zeus does?

I know he makes you have a stronger military, but how (We already have Sun Tzu and the Great Wall)
Hmm...maybe it reduces maintenance costs/increases # of free supported units?
Old May 15, 2003, 21:18   #37
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 20:35
I assumed it gave your units +1 attack or something like that.
Old May 16, 2003, 06:27   #38
Demerzel
Warlord

would be nice to have the rushed & sh*tty present UN removed and something worthwhile ( ala SMAC ) replacing it.

if they can actually make this XP have meaningful things in it that improve the game and not just cosmetic things ( like new Civs/units ) then I might actually buy it. might
Old May 16, 2003, 09:40   #39
petermarkab
Apolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Warlord

I think the statue of Zeus will increase the number of hitpoints for that civ's units eg. super-elite with 6 hp
Old May 16, 2003, 10:23   #40
dannubis
King

goody ...
Tobacco becomes a luxury good.
This would give the "cure for cancer" great wonder surely a reason for existance
Old May 16, 2003, 18:11   #41
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dannubis
goody ...
Tobacco becomes a luxury good.
This would give the "cure for cancer" great wonder surely a reason for existance

cheers
Old May 16, 2003, 19:03   #42
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
I assumed it gave your units +1 attack or something like that.
+1 to attack might be a gamebreaker coming in the ancient age.
Old May 16, 2003, 19:17   #43
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

If the Khmers are in (which I sure hope), I'd suppose Angkor Wat will be in, and will have the same traits as the Khmers. I don't know what it'll be. Maybe some corruption-fighting facility, or something related to government (like easier government-switch)
Old May 17, 2003, 20:18   #44
Alfonso
Spanish Civers
Emperor

New great wonder “El Consejo de Indias”: Reduces the corruption in the cities of your civilization in the continent that does not have the Palace.

Leader naval: They would have the same options that the terrestrial ones, that is to say, could finish a wonder or form a Navy. When discovering Navigation and having an active Navy would unblock the small wonder “Naval academy” that would serve to create Navies. The Navies serian in the sea the equivalent thing to the earth armies.
Old May 17, 2003, 20:54   #45
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:35
Someone said that the seven ancient wonders set will be complete with the new XP.

Call me a pedant, but weren't the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World

1) The Pyramids of Gizeh (in the game)
2) The Hanging Gardens of Babylon (in the game)
3) The Tomb of King Mausolus at Halicarnassus (not in the game)
4) The Colossus of Rhodes (in the game)
5) The Pharos of Alexandria (in the game)
6) The Statute of Zeus at Olympia (apparently going to be in the game)
7) The Temple of Diana at Ephesus

The Great Library was not one of the seven ancient wonders of the world.
Old May 17, 2003, 23:43   #46
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 19:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Yeah, I don't want to watch the AI endlessly patrol its units around (you should be able to toggle your GlobeSat on or off).
That's a good addition to the idea. But this should definently be a small wonder in the game.

Quote:
Some sort of Media wonder that reduces war weariness in republics & democracies some more (Fox News?)
Sad but true.
Old May 18, 2003, 02:44   #47
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Most commonly accepted list today:

http://ce.eng.usf.edu/pharos/wonders/list.html

Not everyone agreed with the same seven Wonders:

http://www.unmuseum.org/wonders.htm

Quote:
Ancient Greeks loved to compile lists of the marvelous structures in their world. Though we think of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World as a single list today, there were actually a number of lists compiled by different Greek writers. Antipater of Sidon, and Philon of Byzantium, drew up two of the most well-known lists.

Many of the lists agreed on six of the seven items. The final place on some lists was awarded to the Walls of the City of Babylon. On others, the Palace of Cyrus, king of Persia took the seventh position. Finally, toward the 6th century A.D., the final item became the Lighthouse at Alexandria.
Maybe they will add the remaining Seven Wonders in this XP. They may also add some of the other Wonders of the World that currently aren't in the game.

The problem with adding new things is that the city view is crowded already. I realize that not all cities would have a complete set of all improvements and Wonders.
Old May 18, 2003, 13:08   #48
petermarkab
Apolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Warlord

Quote:
Some sort of Media wonder that reduces war weariness in republics & democracies some more (Fox News?)
Did you hear the Jessica Lynch rescue was staged by the marines - those Iraqi 'soldiers' they beat up in the video were apparently the very doctors who were caring for her!
Old May 18, 2003, 14:16   #49
Quasar1011
Warlord

Since disasters will be a feature in Conquests, I propose the following small wonders: Seismological Institute (reduces earthquake damage), or National Weather Service (reduces damage from floods, hurricanes, blizzards, etc.). The Seismological Institute should be buildable only in cities with, say, >5 hill/mountain squares within its radius.
Old May 18, 2003, 16:33   #50
The Templar
Prince

With the Mayans and the Incas in the game, we'll probably see some of their stuff:

Chichen Itza: bunch o' step pyramids in the Yucatan?

Sun Stone: that thing they won't let you see at Machu Pichu (unless you really strain to catch a glimpse from the ledge above)?

The Inca Trail: brings fish to your mountain cities?

That other thing in Machu Pichu that was badly damaged during a Cuzquena Beer commercial? (Given Firaxis's rep for historical research, this is probably exactly what they will call it).
Old May 18, 2003, 20:08   #51
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

i'd like something like "national guard" which would reduce a units maint by 1.

Something that would allow you to use an enemies roads at full speed.
Old May 18, 2003, 20:42   #52
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Small Wonder

Hollywood.
Old May 19, 2003, 00:51   #53
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
i'd like something like "national guard" which would reduce a units maint by 1.
Don't all units under every governement only cost 1?
Old May 19, 2003, 03:04   #54
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
Something that would allow you to use an enemies roads at full speed.

extremely overpowered

cheers
Old May 19, 2003, 09:37   #55
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 21:35
A couple more ideas...

"Nelson's Statue" - 10% naval combat bonus (available with Magnetism?)

Bring back ET (heh) - every 20 turns, +1 to AI attitude Available with Steel? It would also probably be best to give it the lowest possible AI build priority, since it would be mostly worthless to an AI civ.

I think Quasar1011 is on the right track with a wonder or wonders to reduce/eliminate the ill effects of natural disasters.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 19, 2003, 11:21   #56
wrylachlan
Prince

Statue of Liberty: has a percentage chance every turn of stealing one or more points of population from other civs and giving them to one of your cities. The civ loosing the poplutation cannot be at war with your civ, and must have a smaller economy. The population added to your city retains its nationality. The chance of stealing population goes up in relation to the unhappiness of the civ to be stolen from.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:16   #57
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

wrylachlan, your Statue of LIberty effect is an original idea and sounds pretty neat. I like it!

Reducing unit maintence by one just means free units, which would be hugely powerful... what if there is a wonder that pays 20% of your military's upkeep? Same idea, less overwhelming.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:24   #58
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by wrylachlan
Statue of Liberty: has a percentage chance every turn of stealing one or more points of population from other civs and giving them to one of your cities. The civ loosing the poplutation cannot be at war with your civ, and must have a smaller economy. The population added to your city retains its nationality. The chance of stealing population goes up in relation to the unhappiness of the civ to be stolen from.
That is a pretty good idea! Although for Civ4 there should be some sort of migration model ...
Old May 19, 2003, 12:58   #59
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I also like wrylachlan's idea. I'd like to make it a game concept in itself - this kind of migration would be possible even without SoL. I'd like to make it related to the culture - people move from the state with smaller culture to the state with bigger culture. SoL would, naturally, increase the rate of immigration.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old May 19, 2003, 13:26   #60
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
I also like wrylachlan's idea. I'd like to make it a game concept in itself - this kind of migration would be possible even without SoL. I'd like to make it related to the culture - people move from the state with smaller culture to the state with bigger culture. SoL would, naturally, increase the rate of immigration.
Of course, then we'll need to build Border Patrol small wonders to stem the tide if we build too many temples.