Old May 15, 2003, 12:39   #1
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 20:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tobacco? For Shame Firaxis!
Accoring to the press release here, Firaxis is including tobacco as a luxury resource. While this is historically correct, I find this inclusion appalling. Tobacco consumption amounts to a world-wide health disaster. And while tobacco has been historically important, coca has been historically important to the Andean peoples. But don't expect to see coca featured in an American-made game. The argument against coca would be a moral one - despite its historical correctness. No doubt Bill O'reilly or Bill "high roller" Bennett would complain that Firaxis is promoting drug use and should "think of the children" if coca found its way into the game. (BTW Andeans who use coca for personal consuption do not use it in the form of cocaine or crack. They chew the leaves or make tea. This is the difference between drinking a beer and drinking Everclear.)

If Firaxis is going to include tobacco, I recommend some of the following.

* Reflect the actual health costs of tobacco by cutting productivity or taking a financial hit from each city that gets the happiness benefit.

* Have tobacco expire in the modern age.

* Tobacco selling countries could take a reputation hit or have to pay a tax.

These things would reflect the costs imposed by tobacco and make tobacco trade a real trade-off.
Old May 15, 2003, 12:44   #2
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That's like suggesting that if your civ has even one bonus cattle resource, then all your units become fat and immobilized. All those burgers, donchaknow? And let's scrap oil for all the smog, uranium for all the radiation, and saltpeter for the wars. Yeah!

On the other hand, a new resource called 'political correctness' will be abundant and never depletes - and strangely, it won't really make your citizens any happier.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old May 15, 2003, 12:46   #3
brianshapiro
Warlord

Local Time: 17:35
"Exotic birds" is also another case of animal mistreatment it shouldnt raise happiness. "Cattle" should lower health causing population decrease because of the negative effects of milk.
and exotic birds, cattle, and elephants should each have movies showing the slaughter or imprisonment of these animals
Old May 15, 2003, 12:50   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:35
Templar you need to loosen up, it is a game.
Most of the stuff you list as penalties does not exist in life. Tobacco is still legal so why any rep issues?
Understand I am an ex smoker and can not stand to be around smoke and my younger brother and mother died from smoking last year, but it was their choice. It should reflect the historical truth. It has been sought after by people and governments for centuries and they still make money off of it. Virgina and other states, still love it. That is the truth.
Old May 15, 2003, 12:51   #5
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by brianshapiro
"Exotic birds" is also another case of animal mistreatment it shouldnt raise happiness. "Cattle" should lower health causing population decrease because of the negative effects of milk.
and exotic birds, cattle, and elephants should each have movies showing the slaughter or imprisonment of these animals
Can you guys leave your Nazism out of games please.
Old May 15, 2003, 12:51   #6
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
That's like suggesting that if your civ has even one bonus cattle resource, then all your units become fat and immobilized. All those burgers, donchaknow? And let's scrap oil for all the smog, uranium for all the radiation, and saltpeter for the wars. Yeah!

On the other hand, a new resource called 'political correctness' will be abundant and never depletes - and strangely, it won't really make your citizens any happier.
Political correctness does not have everything to do with this. The cost of oil and coal are reflected in global warming. The cost of uranium is reflected in nuclear warfare and nuclear plants occassionally going three-mile island. I primarily saying that the costs of tobacco should be reflected.

As for political correctness, if you think cannibas or coca is missing from the game for any other reason then political correctness you're fooling yourself. But the fact is, in this day and age, there is something shady about engaging in tobacco trade - and a bit hypocrital to include one drug trade and not the other.
Old May 15, 2003, 12:52   #7
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

... yeah and coal must doing some bad things to...(ironic)

If we can, in civilization i'll be fascism and force all my citizen to smoke!!!!
Smoke Or Die... hahahahahhaha
===
hehehe just kidding.
You seem like the man who just stop smoking?
===

Hey In Canada Marijuhana will be decriminalize... and the american government are not very happy with that, how many dollars they throw to fight against the cannabis and us in canada will be decriminalise it!!Oh yeah baby
Maybe in five years we'll be able to buy legally marijuhana in Canada...

Oh yeah I forget.. i rarely smoke cannabis... so I dont really care! hahahahha

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; May 15, 2003 at 13:02.
Old May 15, 2003, 12:53   #8
vmxa1
Deity

Well the is one good reason. It is not legal to trade in cannibas and coke.
Old May 15, 2003, 13:00   #9
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Templar you need to loosen up, it is a game.
Most of the stuff you list as penalties does not exist in life. Tobacco is still legal so why any rep issues?
Understand I am an ex smoker and can not stand to be around smoke and my younger brother and mother died from smoking last year, but it was their choice. It should reflect the historical truth. It has been sought after by people and governments for centuries and they still make money off of it. Virgina and other states, still love it. That is the truth.
With respect to the rep stuff, the current treaty to ban tobacco advertising in the world is being opposed by - you guessed it - the United States, a primary producer of tobacco. And yes, it is causing something of a real world rep hit.

As for historical truth, we could include the slave trade (not the somewhat silent treatment of slavery with pop rushing and "guest workers" - actual selling of people in trade routes like other resources), drug trades, the modern sex trade, etc.

Of course the game does have mass murder and genocide (wiping out cities doesn't seem to produce refugees ...), so maybe complaining about tobacco is a bit much. Still, it should have a cost to the player. Even mass murder earns a rep hit in this game.
Old May 15, 2003, 13:07   #10
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Well the is one good reason. It is not legal to trade in cannibas and coke.
Cannibas is legal in the Netherlands, and Canada is about to decriminalize possession. Also, coca leaves (in non-cocaine or crack forms) are legal in Andean countries (Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador). In fact, when you first get to Cuzco, they give you coca tea to help you adapt to the altitude.

But if you want to be historically correct, coca cannibas, opiates etc. did not become illegal in the US until the 1920s. So in the span of history, prohibition occupies a short period. Absynthe, laudnum (contained opiates), and other concoctions were quite popular even in the 1800s. (In fact, if you go to New Orleans, you will see at least two absynthe bars in the French Quarter - I mean "Freedom Quarter". They no longer sell absynthe of course - but there they are in public).

Last edited by The Templar; May 15, 2003 at 13:14.
Old May 15, 2003, 13:17   #11
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
Now this sounds interesting:

"Civ fans will discover intriguing new civilizations, units, wonders, technologies, and abilities to help them triumph in eight professionally designed conquests throughout history."

I wonder if that means we'll be getting some of the unit abilities we had in Alpha Centauri, defence bonuses for aircraft attacks etc. That would be cool!
Old May 15, 2003, 13:23   #12
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by cronos_qc
Hey In Canada Marijuhana will be decriminalize... and the american government are not very happy with that, how many dollars they throw to fight against the cannabis and us in canada will be decriminalise it!!Oh yeah baby
And just think of all the tourist dollars that it will bring in from the US.
Old May 15, 2003, 13:26   #13
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cronos_qc
how many dollars they throw to fight against the cannabis and us in canada will be decriminalise it!
I just read an article quoting $35 billion.

Quote:
Maybe in five years we'll be able to buy legally marijuhana in Canada...
Good luck on that one. There's international treaties that will have to be renegotiated first. That always takes a long time. Maybe in 20 years, certainly not 5.
Old May 15, 2003, 13:30   #14
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Good luck on that one. There's international treaties that will have to be renegotiated first. That always takes a long time. Maybe in 20 years, certainly not 5.
Gee Willem, haven't you heard about the new Dubya method of treaty renegotiation? You just pull out unilaterally.
Old May 15, 2003, 13:32   #15
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

Cannibas is legal in the Netherlands...
Not it's not, international treaties won't allow it. They merely decriminalized simple possession and turned a blind eye to certain forms of distribution, like the cafes. However according to the law, it's still illegal to sell or produce.
Old May 15, 2003, 13:37   #16
Willem
Emperor

Quote:

Gee Willem, haven't you heard about the new Dubya method of treaty renegotiation? You just pull out unilaterally.
Yeah right, Dubya advocating the legalization of marijuana.

There'll have to be a cold day in hell first!
Old May 15, 2003, 14:29   #17
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

They already have wine, what's wrong with tobacco?
Old May 15, 2003, 15:19   #18
Azeem
Prince

Local Time: 01:35
True. Wine (alcohol) is equally a health risk as tobacco. I loathe tobacco, but I think it should be included given its history as a cash crop.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old May 15, 2003, 16:07   #19
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Edit: nevermind.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Last edited by Arrian; May 15, 2003 at 16:29.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:28   #20
Mad Bomber
King

I'm just waiting for Firaxis to put Barley as a luxury resource, my CIV deserves a beer!!
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Last edited by Mad Bomber; May 15, 2003 at 16:36.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:33   #21
statusperfect
King

This thread is complete OT bullshit.

cheers
Old May 15, 2003, 16:35   #22
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Excellent point Arrian!
Sorry for editing it out. I just decided I don't want to jump into this discussion.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:35   #23
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 19:35
After reading this thread I was suddenly struck with the revelation that due to my love of sending out fleets of privateers I am actually advocating PIRACY! Shame on me.
Good heavens--CIV is a game, after all. It doesn't have to (and sure doesn't) mirror the World.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:38   #24
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
I primarily saying that the costs of tobacco should be reflected.
Hmm ... wait ... I've got it! Civs that have tobacco as a resource should have units which get wheezy and fatigued in battle (animated by them bending over holding their knees and breathing hard), and when moving units long distances they should lose a turn to either take a smoke or catch their breath.

Tobacco as a resource is fine. Its historically accurate, a HUGE international resource, legal, and since the icons will probably be little pipes, it will look cool as well.

Your moral solution: Don't build roads to it. Don't trade for it.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:39   #25
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Sorry for editing it out. I just decided I don't want to jump into this discussion.

-Arrian

A wise decision on your part.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:48   #26
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Azeem
True. Wine (alcohol) is equally a health risk as tobacco. I loathe tobacco, but I think it should be included given its history as a cash crop.
Red wine is good for your health. If tobacco is in, it should have a cost reflected in reduced productivity or increased medical costs.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:50   #27
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Rob, excellent point.
Old May 15, 2003, 16:57   #28
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Red wine is good for your health. If tobacco is in, it should have a cost reflected in reduced productivity or increased medical costs.
It's the conservative chemicals in the wine that are good for the heart.

If you only eat the conservative chemicals you get the same positive effect as if you were drinking wine.

Maybe a "wine conservative chemical" resource?

cheers
Old May 15, 2003, 17:02   #29
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
the icons will probably be little pipes

cheers
Old May 15, 2003, 17:20   #30
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

i already use tobacco as a luxury and I gave it a -1 shield to reflect decreased production from cancer deaths. the penalty only takes effect if its a bonus grassland or the tile is mined. i do wish that luxuries could become obsolete. I made tobacco available with industrialization and would like to make it obsolete with longevity or some health tech. (same concept would be nice for other luxuries).