Old May 15, 2003, 15:03   #1
Blisterz
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Learning curve from hell
I LOVED moo2 (as most of you did). I was still playing it on my other comp up to a few months ago when it died. So when I heard about MOO3 I did some reading. Alot of what I read in one way or another told me that if I wanted a good MOO game. Buy Galactic Civ. Which I did and fell in love. I am able to say that Gal civ is one of the best games I have ever played.

Now a few days ago I Was at Superstore, and saw MOO3 for $9.99 (that's canadian, so thats about 3 cents American), so I had to pick it up. Now I consider myself a smart guy. I am not saying I am genius or anything, not even close, but I am far from stupid. That being said, I am having a hell of a time trying to get the feel of MOO3. What menus do what, what it does not seem like I am researching anything. How to make the Auto Colonize work.
So if anyone of you guys can point me to a good 'walkthrough' or somthing of that nature I would be ever so greatful.

And before someone says it, I already did "RTFM"<---- I think that’s how the guys at slash dot say it

William Seward Burroughs
February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.
Blisterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 16:56   #2
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 20:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Learning curve from hell
Quote:
Originally posted by Blisterz
And before someone says it, I already did "RTFM"<---- I think that’s how the guys at slash dot say it
RTFM? Did that guy on slash dot RTFM? Had he RTFM he would have known how useless the manual is and would never have suggested you RTFM.
The Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 17:14   #3
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 03:37
put it aside. play it when the patch is out

cheers
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 17:37   #4
Blisterz
Chieftain

WHen should that be?

You know whats funny? I one page little paper slip came with my MOO3? Know what was on it? An ad for Galciv. "If you don't like this game, here is someone that got it right". hehe

William Seward Burroughs
Old May 15, 2003, 18:18   #5
MahoTsukai
Chieftain

I love to play freesbie with my dog. There is no learning curve at MoO3, really.
MahoTsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 22:38   #6
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MahoTsukai
I love to play freesbie with my dog. There is no learning curve at MoO3, really.
So does MoO3 leave a bad taste in your dog's mouth?
Old May 16, 2003, 01:16   #7
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I mostly agree with statusperfect. You could learn the game pre-patch if you just hang in there (the cliff does even out to a slope once you start realizing what's going on and how things work), but once you read the list of bugs that are fixed in the patch, I doubt you'll want to play release MOO3.

Quote:
WHen should that be?
Unknown; QS is being as tight-lipped about the patch release as it was about the actual release date. IG - excuse me, "Atari" - QA has the final or at least near-final patch right now, so it could be within a week or two.
Old May 16, 2003, 03:13   #8
Daz
Prince

Ha, ha. IG is keeping us in suspense until we loose it. Then they are going to release it for a symbolic price of 10$ because the game is, after all, playable as it is.

Thats their fiendish plan..

Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 19:02   #9
Blisterz
Chieftain

All this talk about bugs makes me wonder. I have played around 55 turn in 3 game, and the game has only crashed once (some DX surface thingy). So what are all these bugs people are talking about?

William Seward Burroughs
Old May 16, 2003, 19:32   #10
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
All this talk about bugs makes me wonder. I have played around 55 turn in 3 game, and the game has only crashed once (some DX surface thingy). So what are all these bugs people are talking about?
Well, the DirectX Surface bug is a major complaint (I've never seen it).

My big beef is the PD bug - PD weapons don't work well without one of the clunky workarounds.

And there is a whole host of others. I do hope that the patch comes out soon. Now that exams are over, I've got time to play.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:00   #11
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
The DirectX Surface Bug is the only crash bug I've heard of (the only one that multiple people have reported, that is); personally, I've only ran into it once, and that was after messing around with some of the game's data files; so I assume it was my own fault.

So the list of bugs is gameplay related. As The Templar says, PD is majorly bugged, at least for some people. There are also many other problems; some I can remember off the top of my head: region race data is not reset, potentially making Harvestors (or other species) spring up on re-colonized planets, even if the former species was bombarded and starved completely off the planet. The dice roll when two races in a co-habited system both want to attack each other is completely bugged, resulting in the human player always getting the initiative against other AI empires, except for the New Orions, who always get the attack. The military AI makes incorrect calculations of troop transport capacity, resulting in the AI trying to build huge numbers of transports, leaving AI empires and hands-off human players with fleets where transports hold a majority of the composition. etc, etc... QS pretty much fixed all crashes before release, but gameplay seems to me to be really broken.
Old May 18, 2003, 17:46   #12
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep

The military AI makes incorrect calculations of troop transport capacity, resulting in the AI trying to build huge numbers of transports, leaving AI empires and hands-off human players with fleets where transports hold a majority of the composition.
The workaround for this is to build transports, then mark the transport design obsolete. Need more transports, unmark the design and the AI will build plenty.

And Daz,
Old May 18, 2003, 18:53   #13
Kloreep
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
The workaround for this is to build transports, then mark the transport design obsolete. Need more transports, unmark the design and the AI will build plenty.
Yes, but that doesn't do anything for the AI, so it's left being a pretty poor opponent, as it can't match a human's combat ship production.
Old May 19, 2003, 00:36   #14
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep

Yes, but that doesn't do anything for the AI, so it's left being a pretty poor opponent, as it can't match a human's combat ship production.
I know, I'm just pointing out that the ultimate strategies in this "ultimate space strategy game" is finding workarounds.

The AI behavior as it stands is atrocious.
Old May 21, 2003, 14:52   #15
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 02:37
IG is atari now.

so when will this socalled "patch" be available?

The new iPod nano: nano
Hagbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 14:55   #16
Kc7mxo
King

Atari lives! Bwah hah hah