Old June 13, 2003, 14:36   #31
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010

Last edited by Googlie; June 16, 2003 at 20:46.
Old July 29, 2003, 06:21   #32
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 02:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hey Maki what happened to the next edition of Shipping News or whatever. How's it going or you waiting for contributions. Or are you on vacation?
Old July 29, 2003, 07:50   #33
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 20:39
Got a rough outline but contibutions would be helpful
Old July 29, 2003, 13:10   #34
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

Well here's the PEACE charter (or constitution whatever you want to call it) Both the Public and the FPEO (for peace eyes only) sections:

Charter for the Pirate Expeditionary Armada and Chironian Explorers (PEACE)
(for public posting)
All captains who are a member of the Pirate Expeditionary Armada and Chironian Explorers (PEACE) shall not attack, loot, pillage, plunder, damage or capture the property of other member captain of cet orginasation. The yearly pay of each captain will consist of one crate of xenowine and 5 crates of xenorum each year. All PEACE citizens have the right to bear arm, but no PEACE citizen is allowed to use those arms against another PEACE citizen unless that citizens is guilty of mutiny or in case of a duel. Duels should preferably be decided in hand to hand combat.
No captain of the Pirate Expeditionary Armada and Chironian Explorers (PEACE) may attack bases and/or units of another faction unless the current faction leader has declared vendetta against the faction in question, or unless the current faction leader has authorized a surprise attack against cet faction.

(reserved for PEACE eyes only)
All captains reserve the right to take captured citizens from other faction as their slaves.
The PEACE faction will as long as it exists consider all oceans, sea's , other large bodies of water and any small island we can settle as it's soevereign territory, regardless of it's acutal territory. We declare this by right of the sea. Any faction constructing bases within the bounds of that territory Has given us enough reason to pronounce vendetta, immideatly or when the faction leader sees fit. If a faction is in possesion of a port base, considered vital to seaborne trade, PEACE captains have the right to capture these under circumstances stated above.

Your welcome to put the public section in the new shipping news
Old July 29, 2003, 18:02   #35
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Not a bad constitution to be goin' wi' at 'all. Bit of tiding up.
I' don't like the annual salary. It should be at least 100 times that to cover, well expenses.

Also we need to be a bit more precise or expansive on causes for going vendetta. We're a fiery lot, (and we will need an excuse from time to time).
Old July 30, 2003, 03:07   #36
Mark123jansen
ACDG3 GaiansACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Warlord

well ya could ev said something earlier, I posted it weeks ago, complete with poll asking everybody if anything needed changing (and PS its the motivations for vendetta are supposed to be vague BECAUSE we're such a fiery lot, so we can vendetta everybody if wanted )
Old August 30, 2003, 22:01   #37
Hercules
Deity

Maties,

The last turn from Mani- Alpha -3 took less than an hour from reception to transmission. That indicates either a highly efficient organised set up or a low participant involvment.

There have been many posts about the low level of ACDG wide general postings, most notably Comrade Tassadar. There are two main reasons given:

Vacations/ and all human factions not having met

I think we would all hate for the game to simply become a normal Pbem. Certainly some factions don't contribute to their full capability at the moment.

Can I ask you all to set an example and chip in with comments and ideas - I know many of you have already but could we up the frequency.

I feel the forum will pick up once we have all met and we the pirates are doing our best to further that.

As far as I can determine we have around seven regular contributers, which all in all isn't bad. I want every one to have a part to play, well because in a few years I 'll be handing over the capstan, and will want a say in things especially when they get more complex.

Plus I think the other forum regulars, especailly those in the Hive ( exc. Tass), would welcome our input. Who knows we might even stir the almighty Drones to contribute some lighter RP posts.
Old August 30, 2003, 22:11   #38
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

What I see happening now is a much more planned approach to the turn. Pre-turn discussions are happening now with most factions, either in private forums or via MSN Messenger or AIM.

By the time the turn arrives for playing the turn-player pretty much knows what to do, surprises excepted (eg pop a mindworm, etc). Unit movement has been planned in advance, base production, etc etc so little is left to do when the turn moves round.

'Course the degree of multiple player involvement varies by faction. Hive and Cycon are most active, followed by the Drones and you guys (in that order) with the PUT often going days without a post. If anyone could be said to be playing the game as a normal PBEM it'd be Archaic, but even there a couple of others do chip in with comments. But I sense there that more is done internally by PM than on the boards, there being a paranoia about Tass perhaps being able to access their forum and their gameturns.

G.
Old August 30, 2003, 22:25   #39
Hercules
Deity

Well thanks Googlie for that. In a kinda of way re-assuring.

Hmm not sure I am pleased with us being fourth though, but I suppose it's quality not quantity is more important.

And yes Some of Cuspidore's emails to me could sink several ships.
Old September 1, 2003, 00:11   #40
Googlie
Emperor

This just in!!!

Exclusive footage from the Progenitor probe orbiter

Tripoli Base:

Old September 5, 2003, 18:47   #41
Hercules
Deity

By the way I can't see Googlies image.
Old September 15, 2003, 07:16   #42
Hercules
Deity

Posting notice that the main Acdg are to proceed with interfactional debates. Not a bad idea I suppose until we all have met in game. In addition to supplying teams from each faction to get involved in debates , they also require a judge to rule and to adjudicate.

So post here if you have interest in either being a debater or judge.

There is a poll on topics ranging from the serious to the less so.
Old September 15, 2003, 16:21   #43
foolish_icarus
ACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsNever Ending Stories
King

I'll debate
Old September 15, 2003, 19:53   #44
Hercules
Deity

Ha Ha, We have a prime candidate from the Peace faction.

Note all Peace debaters must leave their Psi Nuke parrots tethered outside the debating chamber: well done young icarus. Now post your interest in the main Acdg Forum if you haven't already done so.
Old September 16, 2003, 01:08   #45
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

I'll jump in too, butmost likely on silly topics ^_^

*heads to the main forum*
Old September 16, 2003, 02:54   #46
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

I don't mind spamming a thread or two - or even judging (any of the topics I suggested), but I'm not too interested in any kind of formal structured debate thing, if that is what they have in mind.

We could just cruise the debates, like we do the seven seas, and toss out a few cannonballs and grapeshot here and there from time to time.
Old September 16, 2003, 09:42   #47
Hercules
Deity

I plea here for everyone to contribute an article or two to the next ( long overdue) edition of Shipping News or Pirate Enquirer or whatever.

Some photos of pirates on the beaches burying treasure or mixing with the locals. A Pirate with a Cyborg montage could be good fun relating to Ivan the drunken sailor found by the Borg. A ship laden with ladies bound for the Hive. In both cases let the images speak for themselves. Only the Hive will get the single females joke.

I suppose, without giving direction indicators, we could report on the progress of the PMS ships; but excluding the party boat. However I feel it is too risky to include maps this time. (don't forget how resourceful Kody is) unless we can find one of those cube globes and paste the ships on there.

Some one should be capable of describing the genetic evolution of our psi nuclear parrot and the downsides.

Cuspidore could retell the nights of miami with Claire ,whom has gone missing and is believed to be captured by us.

And maybe MArk123 could describe a day in the life.
Old September 18, 2003, 15:27   #48
Atlantian
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
Warlord

Local Time: 01:39
I have returned from my long journey to fix my SMAC... and found no way to fix except for not upgrading, but how would that effect things...

Since I only get in game information from the forums and e-mails, I might possibly beable to do some non-bias judging.

I also could probable get creative with the psi-nuclear parrot's evolution. By the way, what is with the nuclear part? All of a sudden, I don't feel so safe with this parrot on my shoulder...

((BTW googlie, that is a nice pic you have there I think I have a new back ground.))
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
-Dameon McPherson, Leader of the Atlantians, "The Exodus"
Old September 19, 2003, 07:59   #49
Hercules
Deity

Welcome back Atlantian. We'd welcome your contributions. Seeing that you can't open the turn, maybe Maki or someone will post screenshots of our position from time to time.

Can't recall where the nuclear evolution bit came from. Anyway it refers to explosive radioactive birdsh*t.
Old September 19, 2003, 12:30   #50
Atlantian
Warlord

Eeehh... Explosive radioactive bird sh*t? And you tell me that now? I have had this bird for months! I should consider myself lucky... BTW, with Maki's support and assitance, my SMAC is once again running Hail to Makahlua!
"War forced us into the seas. When we came back upon the surface, it was a ruined and desolate place. We knew that it was not long before even the most secluded spot in the seas of Earth was polluted, so we left to the the sea of stars. That is how we came to be on Chiron."
Old September 19, 2003, 12:37   #51
Atlantian
Warlord

How am I supposed to open these files again? I can't remember...
Old September 19, 2003, 13:05   #52
Makahlua
King

Unzip em to your 'saves' folder under AC, then pick 'multiplayer' the 'hotseat/play by email' and then 'load game' - and thank googlie for outling that post over in the regular forum so well
Old September 19, 2003, 14:24   #53
Atlantian
Warlord

Essay on the PEACE Psi-Nuclear Parrots
Here is that report, cap'n Herc. It still lacks the downsides, but I got the evolution part. Tell me what you guys think...

Dameon McPherson
(AKA Atlantian)
Essay on the Evolution of the PEACE Psi-Nuclear Parrot

The evolution of the PEACE Parrots began on the SS Unity, when their cryo-chambers were placed too close to the fusion reactors. This prolonged exposure to light (but still dangerous) radiation in a slowed state of metabolic rate effected the DNA without causing cancer, because their bodies had time to adapt to the radiation prior to the beginning of cancer. This gave them their resistance to radiation. Unfortunately, they had to be exposed to radiation certain levels of radiation, for lack of it would kill them. I should now note that this does not have to be all the time This last thing took a little time to learn. Fortunately, the same idiot who put the parrots there put their food their too, which explains how the birds get there radiation allotments and where the nuclear birdsh*t came from. Soon after learning of the nuclear birdsh*t, the parrots were trained to go (to the restroom) away from civilization, so not to destroy it.

The development of their psi abilities began a few months after landing. This was a further development upon their empathy, which was developed after hundreds of years of human contact.

Looking for other food sources besides the foods that were given to them by their human handlers, the parrots were flying about the contained colonies. No sooner did the birds find this new food source as it attacked; the mindworms. This prey was difficult at first, due to the mindworms’ psi abilities, but being in an accelerated rate of evolution, the parrots adapted to the worms abilities by developing psi abilities of their own, though ever small compared the abilities of the worms. By devouring the worms, the psi abilities of the PEACE parrots are temporarily increased anywhere from 12-72 hours, depending on the number consumed and the psi abilities of the bird. Some of the more powerful birds, which are all with captains or mindworm trainers, already have abilities equal to or slightly greater then the abilities of the mindworms, and as a result of eating the mindworms, they gain abilities 2-3 times greater, and hold this boost for 72 hours to a week. These birds can be used for communication, assistance in controlling mindworm boils, or assisting in destroying or capturing the mindworm boils. They full extent of the psi abilities is truly an unknown right now, as they are still developing in the species.

The psi abilities of the weakest of parrots allows them to plant simple images in the minds of people, so if something can’t be explained through speech. More powerful parrots can plant more complex images, and some can place complete thoughts in other’s minds. Some of the parrots of captains, and most parrots of Mindworm Handlers use this as a form of communication.

The species as a whole is still in the accelerated rate of evolution, so more development of the species may occur as time passes.
Old September 20, 2003, 06:24   #54
Hercules
Deity

An explanation of this team game and faction recruitment thread is in production in the main forum.

There is provision for each human faction to describe themselves and to say why someone should join.

So anyone want to draft a few paragraphs.
Old September 20, 2003, 17:27   #55
Atlantian
Warlord

... I am blank minded there ...

No one commented on my 'essay'... It is hard to make sure everything is correct and straight when no one criticizes...
Old September 20, 2003, 18:01   #56
Hercules
Deity

Atlantian: I congratulate you on a fine piece of work. It's good. Parrots devouring MWs is good theme and a vote winner. Directional PSI is most likely the next evolutionary step (if not there already)

Regarding the nuclear bit. Everyone thinks of radiation in terms of mega years half life. Our nuclear material, very powerful on detonation has a surprisingly short half life, so that it does not have that long of an malign long term influence. All that bird radiating bird sh*t deteriorates quite quickly. It probably contributes to nutrient/ energy and mineral enrichment from the sea.
Old September 20, 2003, 20:08   #57
Atlantian
Warlord

Here is the new paragraph to support Hercules's information:

Recent studies of the parrot’s waste show that radioactive material in the sh*t is powerful and dangerous to humans, it has an extremely short half life after the eruption of the nuclear bird waste. The elements that the waste breaks down into are hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. Also, with the massive energy in the area due to the explosion and through the natural bonding of elements, compounds like water, nitrates, and fertilizers are created. This nice edition of good chemicals supports the marine life of Chiron, with little radiation poisoning, except during the time of the initial explosion, though that radioactive energy quickly dissipates.
Old September 20, 2003, 21:43   #58
Atlantian
Warlord

I've got two things to post.

First,
My comp keeps saying that it can't open the files for the ACDG game. HELP ME END THE MADNESS!

Second,
I would like to formally request that when we create our first vessel that is cappable of below surface travel (a submarine), that I become its captain. I have a certain love for being under water...
BTW, do i have a ship under my command yet?

Ok, now I am off to play some SMAC
Old September 20, 2003, 22:01   #59
Makahlua
King

You did open it fromt he multliplayer sub menu, right?
Old September 21, 2003, 03:03   #60
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Atlantean, If you will bear with me for some questions, possibly offensively simpleminded (like is it plugged in?), I'll see if I can help you get to open the turns.

First, is your problem with the unzipping of the files or with openning them in the game? or something else? Please explain (If you have already done that, please do it again if you don't mind, or post a pointer to where it is.)

If unzipping, are you using the built in zipper/unzipper that comes in WinXP? It seems to have trouble opening zip files made with some other kinds of zippers - like when I was playing the turns, Flubber had trouble opening my zip files at his office for that reason and Cap'n Maki had a similar problem IIRC. The solution for that would be for you to download an alternate unzipper, like from winzip or other source (I think Googlie recommended something back when this problem surfaced earlier in the game. Other problems with unzipping might be that you are unzipping the file OK, it is just going somewhere in a subdirectory that you are not looking into - Cap'n Herc's files seem to be zipped in some annoying way that causes that to happen unless you adjust your unzipper to not use the sources file directory structure; that problem could also be prevented at Cap'n Herc's end, but he didn't seem willing to do that when I first encountered that problem. Cap'n Herc (or someone else) could also provide an unzipped version for your benefit; for a while I was doing that too, so I can appreciate how it is a PIA to keep track of all these files and to upload/email yet another file to everyone, so he may not be too enthralled by that idea.

If your problem is with opening the game, what exactly does happen? Are you using SMAX, cause if you are using regular SMAC, you won't be able to open these files no matter what. Are you getting any error messages? Do you have the right password?

Tell us also about your computer setup - is it a Mac or Linux version you are using?