Old May 16, 2003, 00:16   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 21:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I just noticed something...
They're adding 8 civs in the XP. That makes 32. Right now the maximum number of civs that can be in the game is 31. Therefore... THEY'RE INCREASING THE LIMIT YAY!!!!!

This will make "Modern Age Scenarios" so much cooler.
Old May 16, 2003, 01:15   #2
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 19:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Not necessarily. It depends on whether or not you can have more than 31 civs on the map (32 with the Barbarians) at a time. That is different than having more than 32 civs available to choose from. The question is: Will all 33 civs (32 + the Barbarians) be able to be played at one time?
Old May 16, 2003, 04:14   #3
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 03:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by kring
Not necessarily. It depends on whether or not you can have more than 31 civs on the map (32 with the Barbarians) at a time. That is different than having more than 32 civs available to choose from. The question is: Will all 33 civs (32 + the Barbarians) be able to be played at one time?
anything else would be lame as hell

cheers
Old May 16, 2003, 06:34   #4
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 01:39
to be honest it's a cheap way to "improve" the game, it's like CM4 where they've added a lot more leagues ( about 60 or so now ). who cares if there are now 32 or so civs? how is that actually improving the game?

it's not like SMAC where you actually could tell/cared to to tell an AI apart. in Civ3 they all act the same and are the same for all intents and purposes in game.

new civs?

real improvements to game?
Old May 16, 2003, 06:37   #5
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
to be honest it's a cheap way to "improve" the game, it's like CM4 where they've added a lot more leagues ( about 60 or so now ). who cares if there are now 32 or so civs? how is that actually improving the game?

it's not like SMAC where you actually could tell/cared to to tell an AI apart. in Civ3 they all act the same and are the same for all intents and purposes in game.

new civs?

we are talking about the civ cap

it is an hardcoded number of civ that is always the max number of civs you can have in a game... if it rises it removes a lot of limitations to scenario making

cheers
Old May 16, 2003, 08:32   #6
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

The current BIC/BIX limit is 32 civs including barbarians. And the current limit on players in the game is 32. I don't think they will increase the player limit, but increasing the race limit would probably not be too mush for them to do. However: it's not sure that they include the PTW content in conquest, but instead makes the two separate branches.
Old May 16, 2003, 08:44   #7
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
The current BIC/BIX limit is 32 civs including barbarians. And the current limit on players in the game is 32. I don't think they will increase the player limit, but increasing the race limit would probably not be too mush for them to do. However: it's not sure that they include the PTW content in conquest, but instead makes the two separate branches.
that would be a really stupid thing to do and would kill all my interest in Civ3.

if you expansions aren't cumulative.... why have two of them?

then it would just make me feel as if I've thrown out my money on PTW for nothing as conquests will for sure be a better expansion.

cheer
Old May 16, 2003, 19:32   #8
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
that would be a really stupid thing to do and would kill all my interest in Civ3.

if you expansions aren't cumulative.... why have two of them?

then it would just make me feel as if I've thrown out my money on PTW for nothing as conquests will for sure be a better expansion.

cheer
I didn't say it would be smart i just said that they haven't stated that it will be culminative.

I hope thay add to PTW and extend the BIX format to support >32 civs. And I think they will do that too. One reason for this is that the Civ3 file system isn't objec based which means thay you can't just plug in a new file and it gets as an option in all files, but you have to create fi file for thaty configuration. And I have hard to beiliev that they want a branched development tree.
Old May 16, 2003, 23:25   #9
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 02:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel

new civs?

Not really true - you can create a scenerio with custom civs and save the start file. It is possible to have Civs with different building patterns (types of units/improvements) as well as advantages and disadvantages in terms of starting number of settlers and other unit numbers.

Firaxis will have to alter the game engine of Civ to add the new types of victory conditions. I could be wrong on this as I'm no modder.

But if they do have to alter the game engine, I don't see why they can't also alter the max no. Civs. It would be kind of silly to have 2 expansions and not be able to play al the civs at once...
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old May 17, 2003, 05:25   #10
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I cannot imagine Conquests not being cumulative with PtW. Firaxis sure has done some commercial flunks, but this one would be a really, really impressive failure.
Old May 17, 2003, 09:40   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I cannot imagine Conquests not being cumulative with PtW. Firaxis sure has done some commercial flunks, but this one would be a really, really impressive failure.
hi ,

hang on , it may not be to late for that , .... lets hope

Gramphos , could it be they hardcoded the barbs and dont let them look as a "civ" anymore , ....

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2003, 14:59   #12
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

hang on , it may not be to late for that , .... lets hope

Gramphos , could it be they hardcoded the barbs and dont let them look as a "civ" anymore , ....

have a nice day
It's possible. But I'm for less hard coding so it would be a downside too. I hope they remove the BIX limit on number of races. The only thing they would have to do (that I can think of now) is to make the available too flag scale up in the space used for it. They already have other scaling bitmasks.
Old May 17, 2003, 15:07   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

It's possible. But I'm for less hard coding so it would be a downside too. I hope they remove the BIX limit on number of races. The only thing they would have to do (that I can think of now) is to make the available too flag scale up in the space used for it. They already have other scaling bitmasks.
hi ,

, more civs means more units , more cities , more buildings , .... can the AI handle this , ......

you should get a chat again

have a nice day