Old August 7, 2003, 02:12   #181
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 20:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Speaking in front of all the representatives in the Assemblée Nationale, Napoleon will put his political career on the line, for the 8 scientist. No evidence has been found to support the espionage theories. But by now all of France has agreed, that they are some crazy f-ers. However, they are still incarcerated, for removing secret documents, from their workplace. Only the Assemblée has “pardon powers”, and Napoleon was about to ask for the scientists’ pardon.

All of his political advisors had told him he was nuts for defending, the obviously loony scientist. But deep down, Napoleon knew, he had to do it, for France and for Jeanne. After a full minute of applause, from the members, Napoleon glances at the glass teleprompter, looks at the audience and the TV cameras. Without showing the nervousness, that is eating him up inside, Napoleon confidently begins his speech;

“There comes a time in a man’s life, when he has to just stand back, and say……………..F*CK IT!!!

The gasp in the building can be heard all around, like a resounding echo. In fact they could be felt, from the audiences watching in their homes. In stunned silence, the French nation awaited the President’s next words.

“You all know why I’m here, but what you don’t know is, why I’m doing it. Well, I’m doing this because, Jeanne d’Arc herself, told me I should do this.”

Some of the Assemblée members now begin to shake their heads, as it appears their President has completely lost his mind.

“Enemies of our fair nation, are currently arming themselves, with these “weapons of mass destruction.” And in this Nuclear game, the world plays, there are no winners. But, these 8, so called crazy scientist, can in fact, keep us from losing. Losing our nation, but most importantly our people.

They have dreams about space exploration, which are quickly dismissed as signs of senility. But, their dream should be OUR dream. Space exploration IS the way of the future. And space exploration IS our salvation from this madhouse, we call Earth. The possibilities are endless, our scientific community needs men like these, DREAMERS, with a DRIVE and a PASSION to make their dreams and ours, come true.

We must explore our universe and we must COLONIZE it, before our ENEMIES, beat us to it. Jeanne knows this, I know this, and the French nation, SHOULD know this. I once uttered, these famous words, in a battle field, long ago. But they are as important today, here. As they were then, there. Je ne suis pas effrayé, ALLONS, ALLONS, à l’avant pour la gloire de la France!!!”

With that, the Assemblée exploded in a scene of patriotic, nationalistic fervor. Our President made his point EMPHATICALLY, and the loud singing of La Marseillaise, breaks out everywhere, “Allons enfants de la Patrie………….”

Years later…………

Programme d’Apollon
In the year 1330, the world marvels at our superiority, as the CNES (Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales), sends the first ever humans, to land on the moon. Former Air Force pilots, Ferdinand Foch and Antoine Jomini, become instant national heroes, as TV screens throughout the world see them plant the large French tri-color on the rocky surface of the moon. The Programme d’Appollon, so named because, that’s where Jeanne visited Napoleon, is a complete success.

But Napoleon wants more, and so does the rest of France. A colony in space. The best of France’s engineers, architects, scientist and of course Air Force pilots, are sent to the desert landscape of the Southern Bleue Island, near the city of Poitiers, to begin experimenting with the possibility of sending a human colony into the far-away system, known as ALPHA CENTAURI.

The end will be in my next post.
Later, your boyee A.B.
Old August 7, 2003, 04:07   #182
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 10:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Uh oh, the space end. I never did try it. How about on the way to Apollo Centaur they think they smell kimchee and find some koreans including Wang Kok (spellling maybe off but he is the korean leader I think) hiding in the storage bay resulting in first havoc with a fight or soemthing and then a really soppy hugging and "let's all love our brothers" type ending for happy finish. I dont' know. Sorry for dumb idea but please include a fight because the last episode had no action, only speech.

Last edited by unscratchedfoot; August 7, 2003 at 04:16.
Old August 7, 2003, 15:09   #183
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Yes, because it’s a Civ ending, it is all too predictable and a bit booooooooooring. But not too worry, I’ll drop in some hot, spicy action in, to make the ending, worth the read.
Old August 7, 2003, 17:52   #184
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Okay looking forward to it. By the way, where is everyone? Isn't anyone else reading Kaos's story? I mean "Kaos XXXVII". Maybe because its typhoon season that everyone is in hiding or something.

There's a typhoon scheduled for today.
Old August 10, 2003, 14:24   #185
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

A space ending allows more possibilities than you might think. Let's have the rest of this story!

BTW: Is it just me, or does this forum not seem as active as it once was?
Old August 14, 2003, 18:46   #186
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 02:40
Hello !! its me theyve let me out at last, Ive just got back from my holiday with my family in Cornwall and boy has it been hot down there!

Nice addittions Kaos and a well plotted way of working towards the Space Ship win, looking forward to reading what happens next
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old August 17, 2003, 22:46   #187
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Hi, I finished this story days ago, but didn’t want to log on, cause of the MS.Blaster. But now I’m all patched up, without any worries. Anyway, here it goes.

A major project is announced, the Ariane Spaceship. The ultimate goal, is to colonize Alpha Centauri. The CNES (Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales) gathers the best of France‘s engineers, architects, scientist and of course Air Force pilots, to the desert landscape of the Southern Bleue Island, near the city of Poitiers. There, they will begin the design, and later, the construction of the Ariane Spaceship.

But, what should be a great moment for Napoleon, is instead passed in a sea of paranoia. He now speaks openly, about being visited by Jeanne. But there are no others signs of senility, so Napoleon continues to run the country. When asked in press conferences, “what does Jeanne tell you in your visions?” Napoleon responds, “Nothing, she is just very ANGRY.” He hardly sleeps now, as he is frightened of seeing her in his sleep. His advisors calm the public, by saying, that, “his medication, gets rid of the hallucinations.”

Miracle at Notre Dame
Napoleon’s fear now takes a drastic turn, when he is told of the happenings in Notre Dame. At first, only those with strong religious beliefs, were aware of the occurrences in Notre Dame. Peasants from the countryside, would flock to Paris and visit the sacred church. But soon word spread, about the “saint pleurante.” Now, there are thousands lining the streets, to get into church and catch a glimpse, of the statue of Jeanne, which is said to be crying, crying tears of BLOOD.

The blood poured, from the eyes of the statue. Napoleon demands, test be done, on the red substance, as he is clear the monks in charge of the church, are actually behind it. But scientist came back and reported to all of France, that the substance, coming from the statue, is indeed HUMAN BLOOD. “Unexplainable”, is the scientist only response, when asked, “How?”

The Ariane Spaceship
The people working on the Ariane spaceship get a jolt, when our spies discover the Chinese and the Koreans, have already completed their own versions, of the Apollo program. But a bigger jolt comes when a small explosion, damages the Exterior Casing, of the Ariane. Security is tightened, as we are not sure whether it’s an accident, or a hostile act by a foreign aggressor. An investigation is launched, but DGSE Director Bonnard, already has his mind made up, of what happened.

“SABOTAGE!!!”, he says to Napoleon, in a security briefing held in Versailles.

“If only, it was so”, responds Napoleon.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s not the work of saboteurs, it’s SHE whom is doing it. Can‘t you see, why see cries in blood?”

“Umm, what???”, asks a confused Bonnard.

“Yes, she won’t let me see the day of glory, without……”

“Without what?”, asks Bonnard, now thinking Napoleon is just rambling.

“Nevermind”, says Napoleon, as he gives Bonnard the go ahead, to launch the espionage endeavor.

Espionage-Mission
Bonnard brings in Jean Capet, a top DGSE agent, into his office, to discuss the operation. Capet is also the Head of Security, at the Ariane Spacesphip complex, where the sabotage took place. Currently, he is on leave, due to the security failure.

“I’m P.O.’ed, I want to find the little scumbags, who did this.”, says an angry Capet, to Bonnard.

“Good, that’s why I’ve brought you here. I know you want your job back, so I’m giving you an opportunity to make amends for your mistakes. I just want to know, who is behind this.”

“You can count on me. I’ll get to the bottom of this. By when do you want my report?”

“I’ll give you two weeks! Get it done, or forget about ever getting a job with the DGSE, ever again”, threatens Bonnard.

“Yes, sir.”

The two weeks are up, and Capet arrives, at the offices of the DGSE, with a thick file in hand. It’s a Friday afternoon, and most of the people have already left for the weekend. With his clearance, he is allowed to enter the building, and he heads straight for Bonnard’s office in the 5th floor.

“Good afternoon, sir. How may I help you”, says one of Bonnard’s secretaries, as she stops Capet.

“Oh, I have an appointment with the Director”, Capet responds, while he hands over is ID. to the secretary.

“OK, go on a head, he’s been waiting for you”, says the secretary, with a smile, as she hands back his ID. Capet smiles back, at the attractive secretary and continues walking toward the main office. Once there, he decides, not to knock and opens the door. to Bonnard’s office. Actually, he only opens the door half-way. But, it’s opened far enough, for Capet to see, that nobody is sitting in Bonnard’s desk. Capet however, doesn’t think twice about this, as he looks beyond the desk and gazes into the “La Défense” skyline.

Then, without a care in the world, Capet walks into the office, when suddenly……BANG. The closet doors inside the office swing open. Armed men in Kevlar suits, shout at Capet. They point their assault rifles at him, and order him to lie down. More men, then enter the office through the front door, including Bonnard.

“Hey man, what the f. are you doing!!!”, Capet screams at Bonnard. “I’ve got the f-ing files right here.”

“Oh, you have the files, do you?”, responds Bonnard, somewhat condescending.

“Of course, I did everything you told me!”, a now handcuffed Capet is brought to his knees. “I’ve discovered, that the bastard Carthaginians were behind it all.”

“That’s, very good work Capet. But you want to know something funny?”

“What?”, says Capet, his face red, from being pressed down on the carpet.

“In all my times, I’ve never had an agent complete a mission, within the allotted time. Let alone TWO WEEKS!!! Hell, Sun Tzu said something like, ‘if a spy comes to you quickly, with everything you asked for, KILL HIM, for he is working for the enemy”, says Bonnard, as he slaps, the now nervously shaking Capet, across the face.

“F. all you a-holes, I want my lawyer NOW!!!”, demands Capet. A crowd outside the office, begins to gather, due to all the screaming. Bonnard, calmly walks over and closes the door.

“You’ll get your lawyer, of course you will. Even criminals and traitors like yourself, have that right.”

“Well what are you waiting for, CALL HIM!!!”, commands Capet, now more calm, since he has been assured of his rights. But still, immensely moist, due to the intense sweating.

Coolly and collected, Bonnard lights up a cigar, begins to puff and says, “You’ll get your lawyer, right after we hang you,………from your BALLS!!!”
Old August 17, 2003, 23:01   #188
Kaos XIII
Warlord

The Ariane now nears completion outside Poitiers, and everything is going according to schedule. The first settlers are brought, into the South Bleue Island. Nobody is sure of who they are, or how they were chosen. The trip will take years and only the strong can survive such a trip. Excitement grows across all of France, as it is very clear, that WE, will be the first to lift-off.

This bad-boy is looking pretty good!!!

Back in Notre Dame, the statue still cries and Napoleon decides to face his demons in a visit. His first ever trip into the church, since De Gaulle’s funeral. In the emptied out church, he approaches the statue. Made from white, travertine marble, the pristine statue is larger than life, as it glows under the interior lights of the immense cathedral. Napoleon is alone, as the monks cleared the church for his visit. Napoleon sees the blood, running down the statue into a pool, set up to collect it. He looks up and says out loud, “Je suis désolé.” The tears, no longer pour.

The Announcement
One week before the launch, a nervously wrecked Napoleon, pays a visit to retired Maj. Gen. Richelieu’s mansion in Tours.

“Hello Napoleon, it’s always good to receive you in my home.”

“I appreciate that. But I’m here to give you an offer. An offer you must accept, as a favor to me.”

“What, what is it?”, a curious Richelieu asks.

“I want you to take over, as President of France.”

“What???”, a stunned Richelieu replies. However, deep inside excitement grows.

“Yes, I am retiring before the launch. If I don’t, I fear that the Colonizers will suffer a harsh fate.”

“A harsh fate. No way, that DGSE agent, whom was spying and sabotaging for the Chinese, is locked up.”

“I’m not talking about that traitor.”

“Then who are you talking about?”, asks Richelieu.

“Jeanne. She will not allow France to enter the day of Glory, with me in power.”

“Why?”, asks Richelieu, as if he believes in his visions. In reality, he thinks Napoleon is seriously ill.

“Because I don’t deserve it, she knows it and I know it now. I must step down and tell the truth”, says Napoleon

“What truth?”

“The awful, terrible truth”, Napoleon says, as his eyes face downward.

Word of Napoleon’s retirement spreads quickly, rumors of Richelieu taking over are abound, throughout all of France. Mostly because Richelieu was babbling to anybody, who would listen. But still, others say that it will be Charlemagne, whom will take the reigns. A major press conference is called and all of France stops, to listen to Napoleons’ words.

At noon, Napoleon steps out, into the Gardens of Versailles. He is accompanied by Richelieu. Waiting for him there, in front of the hundreds of microphones, is his entire extended family and top military leaders, including Charlemagne. Before him is a sea of media, from all over the world.

It is early spring and the scent of the blooming flowers, brings a smile to Napoleon’s face. But perhaps, that smile is, simply because Napoleon is about to release, an immense stress off his back. With the blazing sun, warming his old, wriggled face, Napoleon says,

“As you probably already know, (turning to Richelieu and laughing) I have decide to retire from the Presidency (a small laughter is heard from the reporters also). In the meantime, I have appointed retired General Richelieu to lead the country. As if, you already didn’t know.” Now everyone there begins to laugh and smile, especially Richelieu.

“Why now, Mr. President. Just days away, from the historic launching of the Ariane Spaceship???”, asks the reporters.

This is the question, Napoleon knew he had to answer. It’s also the question, he wants to answer. So much, that it is the reason, he decided to announce the retirement, in a press conference. Touching his face with his right hand, to block some of the sun, breathing in a solid breath, Napoleon replies, “Because Jeanne d’Arc cries. And her tears of blood are all my fault. For I, had her assassinated, on that day, so long ago.”

-----------------------------------------------------

Many years later:
Inside a clean, titanium walled home, a little 4 year old girl, stares in awe at a painting in her living room. She has always seen the painting, but know she is really looking at it. She notices, what appears to be a map, overlaid, in front of some strange wonderful structure. She glances down to the lower-right and sees, what appears to be pictures, of 5 people. Her father walks by, and she takes the opportunity to ask.

“Dad, who are these people?”

“Ahh yes, those people. Those people are the founders of a great nation, in a long forgotten and destroyed planet. But they are also, the reason we are here today, while all the others perished. Our ancient holy lands may be long gone, but here in Alpha Centauri, La Grande Nation lives on.”

“VIVE LA GRANDE NATION!!! VIVE LE FRANCE!!!”

Allons enfants de la Patrie
Le jour de gloire est arrivé.
Contre nous, de la tyrannie,
L'étandard sanglant est levé,
l'étandard sanglant est levé,
Entendez-vous, dans la compagnes.
Mugir ces farouches soldats
Ils viennent jusque dans nos bras
Egorger vos fils,
vos compagnes.

Aux armes citoyens!
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons!
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons.

Que veut cette horde d'esclaves
De traîtres, de rois conjurés?
Pour qui ces ignobles entraves
Ces fers dès longtemps préparés?
Français, pour nous, ah! quel outrage
Quels transports il doit exciter?
C'est nous qu'on ose méditer
De rendre à l'antique esclavage!

Quoi ces cohortes étrangères!
Feraient la loi dans nos foyers!
Quoi! ces phalanges mercenaires
Terrasseraient nos fils guerriers!
Grand Dieu! par des mains enchaînées
Nos fronts sous le joug se ploieraient
De vils despotes deviendraient
Les maîtres des destinées.

Tremblez, tyrans et vous perfides
L'opprobre de tous les partis
Tremblez! vos projets parricides
Vont enfin recevoir leurs prix!
Tout est soldat pour vous combattre
S'ils tombent, nos jeunes héros
La France en produit de nouveaux,
Contre vous tout prêts à se battre.

Français, en guerriers magnanimes
Portez ou retenez vos coups!
Épargnez ces tristes victimes
À regret s'armant contre nous
Mais ces despotes sanguinaires
Mais ces complices de Bouillé
Tous ces tigres qui, sans pitié
Déchirent le sein de leur mère!

Nous entrerons dans la carrière
Quand nos aînés n'y seront plus
Nous y trouverons leur poussière
Et la trace de leurs vertus
Bien moins jaloux de leur survivre
Que de partager leur cercueil
Nous aurons le sublime orgueil
De les venger ou de les suivre!

Amour sacré de la Patrie
Conduis, soutiens nos bras vengeurs
Liberté, Liberté chérie
Combats avec tes défenseurs!
Sous nos drapeaux, que la victoire
Accoure à tes mâles accents
Que tes ennemis expirants
Voient ton triomphe et notre gloire!

LA FIN
Old August 18, 2003, 01:58   #189
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Napolean was a rascal to do that. So the legendary stories pulls to a stop. Nice pictures. This should be required reading for grade school literature classes. Are you gonna write another story?
Old August 18, 2003, 21:05   #190
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
Napolean was a rascal to do that. So the legendary stories pulls to a stop. Nice pictures. This should be required reading for grade school literature classes. Are you gonna write another story?
Yeah, I'll definately write another story. But the next one, won't be so loooooooooong. This was my first story and I got somewhat carried away, with the length. It was never my intention to write an all out novel.

The next one will be more organized, shorter, but with the same detailed attention, paid to the different battles, like it should be. Look for it, at an internet cafe near you. It will be called "La Madre Patria", a story of Spanish survival in a cruel, unjust world.......err, whatever, I guess I should play the game first.
Old August 19, 2003, 10:56   #191
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 02:40
Youve done a spectacular job with this story Kaos to you and I look forward to your next offering
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old August 25, 2003, 21:30   #192
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:40
Excellent Story Kaos ! Really entertaining, and really exciting !