View Poll Results: Which dates should the world use, as a standard?
dd-mm-yy 30 52.63%
mm-dd-yy 7 12.28%
yy-mm-dd 10 17.54%
yy-dd-mm 2 3.51%
Some not mentioned above... 0 0%
Each country should use whatever they prefer to use... 3 5.26%
Who cares? 1 1.75%
bb-aa-nn-aa-nn-aa 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16, 2003, 17:26   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 03:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
American/European dates?
No, I'm not talking about "you just met a girl/guy, you'd like to date"

I'm talking about the differences in how dates are written:

In Denmark (and other European countries), we write our dates with dd-mm-yyyy (d = day, m = month... you get the idea ), while in America (and probably other countries too), they write their dates in some completely different way... I think it's yyyy-mm-dd, but sometimes I also see it like mm-dd-yyyy...

This has annoyed me pretty much lately, since I'm doing my first examen project for school, where we should do the programming our-self. One of the worst hurdles we had, was this date thing... it was pretty diffecult to get it working, because we were programming our program on an english OS, with english apps and such, but the program should be designed to danes (meaning: we should be sure to use danish dates). It took us ages to find some way, to make this program work... though I believe this program wont work on danish computers, because we wrote the program to english computers... (None of our teachers knew how to get rid of this 'date' problem...)

I think this is pretty annoying, and believe it should be changed. I see a problem, when talking to Americans, and talking about e.g. "let's talk again this date", and then they give some date e.g. "05-04-03"... I know I'm not always aware of this problem, so I could easily see this as April 5th 2003, while others see this as May 4th 2003

Should this be changed? If so: Who should change?
Old May 16, 2003, 17:33   #2
Rogan Josh
Prince

Local Time: 02:42
You may as well have just had a poll asking who is European and who is American, because all the Euros will vote for dd-mm-yy and all the Ameris mm-dd-yy.
Old May 16, 2003, 17:34   #3
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Day-Month-Year. Logical sense as it's the smallest unit ascending to the largest unit.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 16, 2003, 17:35   #4
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

dd-mm-yyyy. dd-mm-yyyy. Damn, that doesn't make much of a chant, now does it?

Hm. deedee-emem-waiwaiwaiwai. deedee-emem-waiwaiwaiwai. It does, actually.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old May 16, 2003, 17:36   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 19:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The problem is how they're read.

mm-dd-yy makes more sense for Americans because days are described as, say "April 1st, 2003" rather than "1 April, 2003", which sounds just...ridiculous.
Old May 16, 2003, 17:37   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:42
Month-day-year.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 16, 2003, 17:41   #7
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
In what way does "1st of April, 2003" sound any more ridiculous than "April 1st, 2003"?
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old May 16, 2003, 17:42   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh
You may as well have just had a poll asking who is European and who is American, because all the Euros will vote for dd-mm-yy and all the Ameris mm-dd-yy.
Not necessary... I was close on voting mm-dd-yy, because I often talk to not-European people anyway... so I kinda got used to the other thing anyway...
Old May 16, 2003, 17:43   #9
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

mm-dd-yy makes more sense for Americans because days are described as, say "April 1st, 2003" rather than "1 April, 2003", which sounds just...ridiculous.
I agree with the slut here
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old May 16, 2003, 17:44   #10
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yep, in durch you 1 april, 2003, doesn't sound too foolish to me
Old May 16, 2003, 17:51   #11
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

I prefer dd-mm-yyyy in general and common use such as dating letters.

yyyy-mm-dd is more useful when archiving, referencing or other somesuch.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:06   #12
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

yyyy-mm-dd should be the norm in anything that demands precision (such as a program, archives, etc). It is the most rational way by far.
For the daily use of dates, I think people should stick to whatever they're used to. When I'm talking on 'Poly (i.e to Yanks and Euros), I say dates in full letters anyway, for everybody to understand.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:09   #13
Giant_Squid
Emperor

Okay...monarchs. We have Charles I, Elizabeth II, Louis XIV. Not 1st Charles, 2nd Elizabeth, 14th Louis.

World Wars. We have World War I and World War II, not 1st of World Wars and Second of World Wars (yeah, some historians call it "the first world war" to sound special, but that doesn't count)

Movie sequels. We have Rocky II, Star Wars IV, not 2nd of Rocky, 4th of Star Wars.

Fighter jets...we have the F-14, F-15, F-16. Not the 14-F, 15-F, 16-F.

I could go on....but...you say the thing first, and then the number that it uses. That's just the natural way to do things. Why do those crazy Europeans insist on just messing it up for dates?
Old May 16, 2003, 18:10   #14
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

yyyy-mm-dd makes the most sense. First the most significant unit, then the lower. We also don't say, that it's 28 minutes, 35 seconds of the 11th hour, do we?
Old May 16, 2003, 18:12   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Giant_Squid
World Wars. We have World War I and World War II, not 1st of World Wars and Second of World Wars (yeah, some historians call it "the first world war" to sound special, but that doesn't count)
Actually, both in German and Russian "First World War and Second World War" are the right order of words. Besides, I don't see what this has to do with dates.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:17   #16
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
Day-Month-Year. Logical sense as it's the smallest unit ascending to the largest unit.
Except no one says, "12 January, 2003." We say "January 12, 2003."

MM-DD-YY mirrors spoken language, so makes the most sense.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:17   #17
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:

Oops, beat me to it.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:19   #18
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
In what way does "1st of April, 2003" sound any more ridiculous than "April 1st, 2003"?
Who do you know that, when asked the date, says "Oh, it's 1st of April!" as opposed to "It's April 1st!" Simplicity is best, and the "of" is totally unneccessary. It's a whole word no one need say.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:22   #19
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 19:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
I agree with the slut here
I told you the dates on AIM, I didn't expect you to broadcast them to everyone on Poly...

As far as people here are concerned, I'm a hermit.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:23   #20
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Actually, both in German and Russian "First World War and Second World War" are the right order of words. Besides, I don't see what this has to do with dates.
Same in French, as well as the French order of words in dates is dd-mm-yy (still more rational than the jam in use in the US, even though it is not perfect).
Old May 16, 2003, 18:27   #21
Oerdin
Deity

Ahh, but you see neither German or Russian nor even French are the de facto world language so guess who's going to win in this dispute?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:40   #22
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 01:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Who do you know that, when asked the date, says "Oh, it's 1st of April!" as opposed to "It's April 1st!"
Me. I tend to use both, it just depends what comes out first. I think dd-mm-yyyy is best, because it's from smallest to biggest. And GS: Euro's messing up the date? IIRC, we had it first, and Americans decided to change it. Although I could be wrong

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 16, 2003, 18:42   #23
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
I told you the dates on AIM, I didn't expect you to broadcast them to everyone on Poly...

As far as people here are concerned, I'm a hermit.
Hey, I didn't tell anyone why you were a slut...you did that just now.

Come on, people change...you don't have to be a hermit here forever.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old May 16, 2003, 18:42   #24
Sandman
King

Day-month-year, it's the most logical.

I say either "The 1st of April" or "April the 1st", but never ever "April 1st".

And it is "The First World War" and the "The Second World War".

What are those thingies in the American constitution called, those amendments? Amendment 1st? Amendment 2nd?

If you have children do you have a 2nd son, or a son 2nd?

When trying to pass a driving test, do you have attempt third, or a third attempt?

When playing golf, is there hole 18th, or an 18th hole?

Can one be second best, or best second? Third last, or last third?
Old May 16, 2003, 18:43   #25
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Ahh, but you see neither German or Russian nor even French are the de facto world language so guess who's going to win in this dispute?
Nope, that would be English. And you know what we use over here. Although many would argue that their isn't a world language, since we still all speak our own, and English still isn't the most popular IIRC.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old May 16, 2003, 18:45   #26
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:42
And to think I thought this was a relationship thread. I apparently forgot where I was.

Old May 16, 2003, 18:49   #27
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
Day-month-year, it's the most logical.

I say either "The 1st of April" or "April the 1st", but never ever "April 1st".

And it is "The First World War" and the "The Second World War".

What are those thingies in the American constitution called, those amendments? Amendment 1st? Amendment 2nd?

If you have children do you have a 2nd son, or a son 2nd?

When trying to pass a driving test, do you have attempt third, or a third attempt?

When playing golf, is there hole 18th, or an 18th hole?

Can one be second best, or best second? Third last, or last third?
So is she Second Elizabeth, or Elizabeth the Second?
Old May 16, 2003, 18:54   #28
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

"April third" is ungramatical, at least if you're intending for the quantifier to be a component of the month. You don't say "the highjumper third attempt", you say "the highjumper's third attempt" or "the third attempt of the highjumper", ie. "April's third" would work, but then we don't use months that way. So language favours the europeans.

I still think they're wrong, because obviously the most natural way is to do it like time or weight or length, largest unit first, ie. yy-mm-dd. AFAIK sweden is the only country that has it standardised this way. I'm born in 810610 (åttiett nollsex tio) myself.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:54   #29
Sandman
King

She's Elizabeth THE Second, not Elizabeth Second.

On day third, Christ rose again.

In the future, there will be Coming Second.
Old May 16, 2003, 18:57   #30
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

So is she Second Elizabeth, or Elizabeth the Second?
Oh, you're introducting another word now, "the"? Which is shorter, "the" or "of"?

Another european advantage- if you want to clarify the number of the month while speaking you can do so, ie. "third of the fourth". This is clearly impossible using the American system.