Old May 17, 2003, 02:14   #31
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The hilarious bit is they seem baffled as to why the Yanks might not be too pleased with them at the moment.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:15   #32
LoneWolf
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Maybe it only takes twice. They rolled over like a good ***** the third time. Hmmm...
They must have liked it!
Old May 17, 2003, 02:18   #33
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 20:45
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

I thought it was your cat.

I started to say that.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:18   #34
LoneWolf
Settler

Exactly, NYE- "You mean THEY have the right to object, too? Sacre bleu!"
Old May 17, 2003, 02:20   #35
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

i can't believe so many people subscribe to this anti-French rubbish

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old May 17, 2003, 02:24   #36
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 18:45
Quote:
Ditto.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:25   #37
LoneWolf
Settler

You can't believe that people recognize that the French are our rivals? Even though Devillepin has said as much himself? Odd.
They have every right to be, BTW.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:28   #38
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by orange
What rubbish? This is not the first time they have set themselves up at odds with their erst-while allies.

Do you know much about them and NATO during the Cold War?

How are most Canadians supposed to be inclined to them when their president expounded on the desirability of the dissolution of our country on a state visit? "Vive le Quebec libre!"

Well, fvck them!

Their governments have been tw@ts! They have been, they are, and I can see no reason why they shall not prove themselves again in the future.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:28   #39
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 02:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nope, what seems to baffle the French is that anti-french jingoism is running rampant even in the better US news media, and that it is fed by rumours and propaganda lies from Washington. That's somewhat new.

Just bad luck for the French government that the french media won't play along. At least not yet.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 17, 2003, 02:29   #40
LoneWolf
Settler

Jeez, NYE, we have had some run-ins, but I guess we have more in common than I thought. Salute!
Old May 17, 2003, 02:31   #41
LoneWolf
Settler

Honestly, Hersh, have you read Le Monde? How can you say such silly things?
Old May 17, 2003, 02:31   #42
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
Nope, what seems to baffle the French is that anti-french jingoism is running rampant even in the better US news media,
The Washington Times?
Old May 17, 2003, 02:31   #43
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 01:45
My God, so much talk about something that will ultimately come to nothing in the end. Keep on ranting and eating your freedom fries, it will all add to the fun of pointing and laughing at you when nobodys talking about evil France anymore.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:35   #44
LoneWolf
Settler

gsm, you think France is "evil"? I don't, I just recognize that they have interests and ambitions which diverge from ours. Should we not frankly aknowledege that fact, and act accordingly?
Old May 17, 2003, 02:36   #45
gsmoove23
Warlord

LoneWolf, who doesn't. We always act accordingly by serving our own interests, even if they diverge from the interests of our allies.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:40   #46
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf
Honestly, Hersh, have you read Le Monde? How can you say such silly things?
I read Le Monde occasionally. Where do you see anything that compares?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old May 17, 2003, 02:41   #47
notyoueither
Deity

Don't recall any other Western nation setting themselves up at odds with NATO during the Cold War, or wishing well to the people who sought to tear a country apart which had recently sent it's sons off to die on their beaches for their liberty.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:42   #48
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
The Washington Times?
Of course not. But even the NY Times is not immune. It loves to blow up fat stories about antisemitic France, it parrots every government rubbish (attributed, but that doesn't matter much), and it has that clown Safire who makes up stuff as he goes along.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:45   #49
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
But even the NY Times is not immune.
Does France really care about a paper in the midst of turning itself into a complete joke on the level of the New York Post?
Quote:
and it has that clown Safire who makes up stuff as he goes along.
People in the US don't generally read editorials for news.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:48   #50
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
WAAAAAAAAH!!!!

**** em. If our rough language hurts them, they can do something back. Like um say bad stuff or something.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:49   #51
LoneWolf
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmoove23
LoneWolf, who doesn't. We always act accordingly by serving our own interests, even if they diverge from the interests of our allies.
Bingo. So why is pointing out that they cannot be relied upon to support us, and in fact view themselves to be another "pole" for anti-American attitudes to rally around, "France-bashing rubbish"?
And why, then, should we not treat the French as the adversaries they have chosen to be?
Old May 17, 2003, 02:50   #52
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
Maybe they can use the Force de Frappe?
Old May 17, 2003, 02:53   #53
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Does France really care about a paper in the midst of turning itself into a complete joke on the level of the New York Post?
No, unless it is a symptom of a broader problem. And rampant anti-europeanism has always been there, it just got worse. I loved it when a US news networks opened a report about Waldheim with a map of Austria in brown and a Swastika over it. Goebbbels would be proud of them.

As for Safire: editorials are not news, fine, but why should they be completely detached from reality, rather than giving an opinion on facts?
Old May 17, 2003, 02:54   #54
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
WAAAAAAAAH!!!!

**** em. If our rough language hurts them, they can do something back. Like um say bad stuff or something.
Funny you say that, as the Americans are much worse sissys than the French in this little exchange.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:56   #55
gsmoove23
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf

Bingo. So why is pointing out that they cannot be relied upon to support us, and in fact view themselves to be another "pole" for anti-American attitudes to rally around, "France-bashing rubbish"?
And why, then, should we not treat the French as the adversaries they have chosen to be?
I don't care. Do whatever you like, rant as much as you like, in the end it will make little difference in French-US relations. I just find it funny that so many posters here are willing to go along with the fad of French bashing with such serious comments.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:56   #56
LoneWolf
Settler

Hersh: Hard to argue in the abstract, but I get the impression that it is Safire's opinions, not his facts, that bother you so.
Old May 17, 2003, 02:59   #57
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Funny you say that, as the Americans are much worse sissys than the French in this little exchange.
Alright now I'm shamed especially in light of Chirac's diareha of the mouth.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:01   #58
HershOstropoler
Settler

Safire as such doesn't bother me, the least his opinions. The guy writes quite well, but when he makes up supposed statements of german ministers, hallucinates about friendship between Chirac and Saddam and stuff like that, it's just totally silly. He should write that in the funny farm, not in a newspaper.

It's also quite odd to me. While there is no sharp destinction between news and opinion in european papers (exception UK tabloids - and in the US, it's mostly a fiction anyway), there hardly is the kind of editorial that's totally fictional.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:02   #59
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
I really do want to reconcile with the French, really! But my fries have never tested so good as since I started with the new name.
Old May 17, 2003, 03:05   #60
LoneWolf
Settler

As for the connection between Chirac and Saddam, there was something written on this subject which was quite damning (not by Safire, but I don't recall who), so this is not a "hallucination".

And Hersh, your anti-Americanism oozes from every pore (for example-"in the US, mostly a fiction ,anyway"), so your views on this issue are not really all that compelling.

Last edited by LoneWolf; May 17, 2003 at 03:12.