Old May 17, 2003, 20:33   #1
Blisterz
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:50
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Europa 1400 the guild
I have been playing this game since it came out. The replayability to this game is unsurpassed. The look the feel everything about this game was amazing. Also in an industry that loves to make clones of clones of clones... and original Ideas are rare, this game was a gem. So what I can't figure out, why the hell did it do so badly. I assume not enough press, or bad support, or something like that. 'cause I feel pretty safe saying that if this game's success was based solely on it's quality, it would of done at least as well as Tropico.

What do you guys think?

William Seward Burroughs
February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.
Old May 17, 2003, 20:56   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Great game, great concept, great originality, terrible support.

Was the patch ever released? I really enjoyed the game but put it off for a time while waiting for the patch that was due "soon" and then "in two weeks" and then "next month" and god knows when, now.

As for it's lack of success, well, that's JoWood for you. some of the most obscure and, as far as I can see, useless publishers in existence.

Do It Ourselves
Old May 17, 2003, 21:20   #3
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 02:50
It was interesting but the absense of a patch or even the answer to whether there was going to be one saw me uninstalling it.
I think at one point the publishers banned the developers from the official forums - or at least thats what a lot of people were claiming. Not a good sign.
Old May 18, 2003, 01:37   #4
Blisterz
Chieftain

What I wonder about, is why the German version of the game got an add-on and a patch for the add-on, before the englsih version even got a patch for the out of the box game.

And ya, I read that banning thing just now myself. I read that he was quite active on the board untill that happened... who knows

William Seward Burroughs
February 5, 1914 - August 2, 1997 R.I.P. Uncle Bill, you are missed.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:15   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:50
The German version shipped a ton of copies, that why. Like Patrician 2 and other games, Germans seem to really go for this sort of thing. They don't seem to be put off by repetition, which is what eventually bores me even though in many ways I like this style of game.

Sadly I think the publishers were waiting for a magic number of customers before authorising a patch, and they never got it. It is hardly surprising seeing that despite its fun parts I couldn't recommend it to anyone in its current state. Dying the year I was running for mayor then finding I was stuck in a dying loop so my son could not take over was too painful. The idea of founding a dynasty is one that I really hope gets picked up in other games.
Old May 20, 2003, 19:18   #6
Mahdimael
Prince

I never had any issues with this game, and found it to be pretty fun, though no matter what profession you took, it was basically the same game. I can think of a number of improvements to the game, but I like the concept and the fact that it was original